- The Power of Text Analytics: Developments, Insights, and Innovation - Sep 29, 2011.
3 pioneers in text analytics and big data talk about their personal experiences in the analytics industry and the future outlook of the text analytics market.
- Dancing with the Stats - Sep 29, 2011.
Is it possible to predict the finalists on Dancing with the Stars before the contestants ever step on the floor? Surprisingly, beauty, fame level, and ethnicity seem to matter very little.
- KDnuggets 11:n23, How different is Data Science from Statistics? Big Data - Get started, provoked - Sep 28, 2011.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (6) | Courses, Events (3) | Webcasts (1) | Software (4) | Jobs (9) | Academic (4) | Meetings (6) | Publications (5) | NewsBriefs (7) | CFP (9)
- Six Provocations for Big Data - Sep 25, 2011.
Do numbers speak for themselves? We believe the answer is NO. Sweeping dismissal of all other theories and disciplines reveals an arrogant undercurrent in many Big Data debates where all other forms of analysis can be sidelined.
- New Book: Data Mining with Rattle and R - Sep 20, 2011.
With a focus on the hands-on end-to-end data mining process, the book guides the reader using open source Rattle software built on R platform.
- New Book: Feature Selection and Ensemble Methods for Bioinformatics - Sep 19, 2011.
machine learning applications for gene expression based cancer classification (many features but few data instances), including feature/gene selection, classifier ensembles, and classification performance evaluation for small-sample size problems.
- Building data science teams - Sep 16, 2011.
DJ Patil on Data science teams and the origin of "data scientist" term.
- Global Warming Prediction Project: What Drives Global Warming? - Sep 15, 2011.
a nonlinear dynamic interdependent system model of 6 variables that describes and predicts global warming till October 2017; entirely learned from observational data.
- KDnuggets 11:n22, Data Science vs Statistics? Data mining still top term; Great courses - Sep 14, 2011.
Latest data mining / analytics news, including Features (9) | Courses, Events (6) | Webcasts (1) | Software (4) | Jobs (6) | Academic (3) | Competitions (2) | Meetings (2) | Publications (7) | NewsBriefs (6) | CFP (6)
- 6 companies doing big data in the cloud - Sep 9, 2011.
Cloud computing and big data analytics are a match made in heaven. Several companies have already melded the two into a variety of unique services.
- Top KDD references from the last 4 years - Sep 6, 2011.
Gabor Melli analysis of KDD conference papers and what were most common citations.
- SAS vs R discussion - Sep 6, 2011.
one of the big differences between SAS and R is the size of the data sets each can accommodate. Out of the box, that size is limited by physical memory in R, while SAS, with virtual memory management, theoretically has no limits.
- Data scientist: The hot new gig in tech - Sep 6, 2011.
Companies that want to make sense of all their bits are hiring so-called data scientists - if they can find any.
- Free ebook: Big Data Now - Sep 2, 2011.
covers data-related content published on O'Reilly Radar over the last year. Mike Loukides kicked things off in June 2010 with "What is data science?" and from there we've pursued the various threads and themes that naturally emerged.
- Study: Most firms say business analytics boosts decision-making process - Sep 2, 2011.
Most enterprises seek solutions to big issues with business analytics, per Bloomberg Businessweek survey sponsored by SAS