- Wikibon on Big Data: Hadoop, Business Analytics and Beyond - Nov 30, 2012.
Wikibon excellent overview of Big Data landscape, including Data Processing and Analytics: The Old Way, the changing nature of Big Data, new approaches to Big Data processing and analytics, the Big Data Vendor Landscape, the Big Data Skills Gap, and next steps.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 26-28: Really Big Data: Google Spanner, the largest single database; Top 3 myths about Data Science - Nov 29, 2012.
Really BigData: Google Spanner, the largest single database on Earth; Top 3 myths about Data Science: 1. Data science is for math geeks only; Big Data news of the week - how Google runs the company, the most important ingredient in data science
- KDnuggets 12:n27, Where did you apply analytics? Free analytics software; Great webinars - Nov 28, 2012.
Free analytics software, Int. Year of Statistics and more analytics/data mining news, including Features (6) | Software (4) | Courses, Events (2) | Webcasts (6) | Meetings (3) | Jobs (6) | Academic (4) | Competitions (2) | Publications (6) | NewsBriefs (1) | CFP (5)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 22-25: A contrarian view of data scientists and Kaggle; Successes of Deep Learning - Nov 26, 2012.
A contrarian view of what data scientists do and why Kaggle is wrong; Successes of Deep Learning (using machine learning w. neural networks); The Big Data fallacy, and why with more data useful information is harder to find; Interactive Data Visualization for the Web (with D3) - an interactive O'Reilly book
- Understanding Principal Component Analysis - Nov 24, 2012.
PCA is a good technique to reduce the high dimensionality of big data sets to fewer dimensions that are easier for humans to comprehend and visualize.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 19-21: Ajay Ohri on Excel, best R packages, and how R is viewed; The Human Face of Big Data - a preview of the book - Nov 22, 2012.
Ajay Ohri on Excel, best R packages, and whether R is viewed as a threat; The Human Face of #BigData - a preview of the book, with unexpected photos; Mind-blowing Idea: Free transportation for life, if you buy Tesla S electric car; If Data is the new oil, don't end up being BP - 3 key concepts to avoid a disaster
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 15-18: pandas: Powerful data analysis tool for Python; Useful BigData trends and stats - Nov 19, 2012.
pandas: Powerful data analysis tool for Python - code and slides - awesome; Useful Big Data trends and stats; MIT researchers algorithm compresses #BigData on the fly for much faster processing; Beware the Big Data Campaign - how much did data mining help win the election?
- National Journal: Drones and Data Mining - After the Election ( comments) - Nov 19, 2012.
The conventional wisdom has been that the "air war" - the amount of advertising on TV and Radio matters more than the "ground war" - the size of the volunteer pool, said Charles Duhigg. Now the conventional wisdom is that most important factor is the size of the volunteer base.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 12-14: Best Python 2.7 modules for data mining http://bit.ly/TH5bAC; Why Data Science is hard to teach in college - @mathbabe exp - Nov 15, 2012.
Best Python 2.7 modules for data mining; Why Data Science is hard to teach in college - @mathbabe explains; A Moneyball-style revolution for VCs - algorithm to predicts startup success?; Impressive BigData partnership: Google BigQuery and Tableau visualization
- KDnuggets 12:n26, US Elections: a big win for statisticians; Responsibility for Predictions; Analytics Marketplaces - Nov 14, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (9) | Software (7) | Courses, Events (3) | Webcasts (1) | Meetings (1) | Jobs (9) | Academic (6) | Competitions (2) | Publications (11) | NewsBriefs (4) | CFP (2)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 8-11: Making Statistics Simpler - explaining Bayes Rule; Ramp, a python library for rapid machine learning - Nov 12, 2012.
Making Statistics Simpler - explaining Bayes Rule; Ramp, a python library for rapid machine learning; Book Draft: Intro to Machine Learning; Twotorials: 2-minute tutorials on R, how to install, code, graph, and analyze
- Book Draft: Introduction to Machine Learning - Nov 9, 2012.
Over the past two decades Machine Learning has become one of the mainstays of information technology and with that, a rather central, albeit usually hidden, part of our life.
- Big Data Journal Preview - Nov 9, 2012.
Big Data Journal had a very successful launch of the journal at the Strata + Hadoop World conference with an impressive preview issue and plans are on track for an inaugural issue in early 2013.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 5-7: WSDM Yandex Switching Detection Challenge; Infographic: Data Science is more than mining - Nov 8, 2012.
WSDM Yandex Switching Detection Challenge; Infographic: Data Science is more than mining; Stanford Online: Data Mining Certificates - earn world-class credentials; Data Scientist positions at the CIA
- Data Crunchers Who Helped Obama Win - Nov 8, 2012.
Time magazine looks inside the secret world of the data crunchers who helped Obama win. The magic tricks that opened wallets and how they were repurposed to turn out votes. The top performing campaigns were up to 10 times better than underperformers.
- New Book: Bisociative Knowledge Discovery - Nov 7, 2012.
The focus of this book is a network-based integration of various types of data repositories and the development of new ways to analyse and explore the resulting gigantic information networks.
- Nate Silver on Colbert Report predicts US election - Nov 7, 2012.
Election commentators botch metaphors, Math has a liberal bias, and New York Times analyst Nate Silver on predicting elections.
- Tim Graettinger: Data Mining Misconceptions The 50-50 Problem ( comments) - Nov 6, 2012.
When creating a predictive model, we need to "tune" it to match our client's concern between false alarms and missed opportunities. Setting the cut-off point between 'promising' and 'unpromising' depends a lot on our client's biggest concern -- missed opportunities or false alarms.
- Better Learning via Educational Data Mining and Analytics ( comments) - Nov 6, 2012.
Dept. of Education examines how Educational data mining and learning analytics can be used to improve teaching and learning
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 1-4: Best new jobs in America: Data Scientist; MIT Researchers predict Twitter Trends - Nov 5, 2012.
Best new jobs in America: Data Scientist (#3 on CNN list); MIT Researchers predict Twitter Trends w. 95% accuracy, better than Twitter; Data Mining with R videos, from Georgia R school; Data Mining Book Review: Dance with Chance - how to avoid being fooled by chance
- Aberdeen Group: Uncovering Customer Insight in Big Data - Nov 3, 2012.
Enterprise leaders in big data programs are beginning to differentiate themselves from competitors and slow adopters by matching advanced analytic plans with a blend of specialists and business demands. Leaders could meet time-to-information window 82% of the time, compared to 62% for followers.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 29-31: Open Library: free downloads of 1M eBooks; Analyzing BigData is returning an edge to Microsoft - Nov 1, 2012.
Open Library: free downloads of more than 1M eBooks; Analyzing BigData is returning an edge to Microsoft - next products to use Machine Learning; Advice for the aspiring Data Scientist; Researchers win Kaggle Molecular Activity Challenge w. deep neural networks