- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 27-30: Free e-books on Data Science and Statistical reasoning; Getting started with Data Science - Dec 31, 2012.
Free e-books on Data Science and Statistical reasoning; Getting started with Data Science, by Hilary Mason; ebook by a Netflix Prize competitor: Predicting movie ratings and recommender systems; Hilarious ads for Google Analytics
- ebook: Predicting movie ratings and recommender systems - Dec 29, 2012.
Arek Paterek was among top competitors in Netflix Prize. This 195-page monograph includes a comprehensive summary of the Netflix Prize, detailed description of his top-50 Netflix Prize solution predicting movie ratings, and much more.
- Machine Learning and Data Mining Humor ( comments) - Dec 28, 2012.
Your search for Milk returned 52,256 results. Your top hit is "Milk of Magnesia", top 10 reasons to become a statistician, and more Data Mining, Machine Learning, and Statistics Humor from around the web - enjoy
- KDnuggets 12:n30, Gun Analytics; Top Data Scientists; KDD-2013 - Dec 28, 2012.
Gun Analytics, compare most influential data scientists, KDD-2013 and more analytics/data mining news, including Features (3) | Software (1) | Webcasts (3) | Meetings (1) | Jobs (4) | Academic (2) | Competitions (2) | Publications (4) | CFP (9)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 24-26: Why is Deep Learning finally succeeding; What does randomness look like? - Dec 27, 2012.
Why is Deep Learning (Deep Neural Networks) finally succeeding in difficult AI tasks?; What does randomness look like? Including V-1 bombs, glow-worms, Dilbert, and Poisson; Where to find time-series data? Quandl is a collaboratively curated portal; Data mining to help reduce traffic congestion: Cellphone, GPS data suggest new strategy
- Big Data: Word Of The Year ( comments) - Dec 24, 2012.
Here is an argument why Big Data should be word of the year.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 20-23: 6 reasons you hired the wrong data scientist; Are the Data Scientists Future CEOs? - Dec 24, 2012.
6 reasons you hired the wrong data scientist - #6 he/she does not challenge you; Are the Data Scientists Future CEOs? ; Dice lists top skills desired for data analytics pros: Hadoop, MongoDB, Django, but no SAS, R, python? Most influential Data Scientists on Twitter
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 17-19: Gun Deaths vs Gun Ownership graph; A programmer's guide to big data: 12 tools - Dec 20, 2012.
Gun Deaths vs Gun Ownership graph: the price US pays for its love of guns; A programmer's guide to big data: 12 tools to know; Who are the most notable and influential data scientists? Intel-recommended Book: "Statistical and Machine-Learning Data Mining"
- KDnuggets 12:n29, Gun ownership vs Gun violence analysis and poll; Top stories of 2012 - Dec 20, 2012.
What is the connection between Gun ownership and Gun violence? Look at the data and vote in the poll! Also Top stories of 2012, and latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (9) | Software (3) | Courses, Events (3) | Webcasts (1) | Jobs (3) | Academic (1) | Competitions (1) | Publications (8) | NewsBriefs (3) | CFP (11)
- Skytree Big Data Analytics Survey - Dec 19, 2012.
Take The Big Data Analyitcs Survey win cool prizes, and get a copy of the results.
- Book: Statistical and Machine-Learning Data Mining, by Bruce Ratner - Dec 18, 2012.
This book distinguishes between statistical data mining and machine-learning data mining, and explains GenIQ Model, a machine-learning alternative to statistical regression. In 2012 this book is on Intel Recommended Reading list.
- Should You Outsource Your Data Scientist? ( comments) - Dec 18, 2012.
The well-documented shortage of workers with advanced, data-science skills has sent nearly every organization on a mad dash to acquire the capability or be left behind.
- Realizing true value from customer analytics investments - Dec 18, 2012.
Learn tips and tricks for nurturing customers to optimize their long term profitability; How to build lifetime 1-to-1 relationships with your customers; The keys to tracking social media feedback to spot trends and insights, and more.
- Big Data in Motion ( comments) - Dec 17, 2012.
Notes and observations from MassTLC (Mass Technology Leadership Council) Roundtable on Big Data in Motion.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Talent Analytics on Data Scientist traits and characteristics ( comments) - Dec 17, 2012.
I spoke to Talent Analytics about the results of their recent study of Analytics Professionals and discuss some interesting results about characteristics of data scientists and how they work.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 13-16: 26 Univ. offer Data Science in 2013 in US; 8 tests for a data scientists business acumen - Dec 17, 2012.
26 Univ. offer Data Science in 2013 in US; 8 tests for a data scientists business acumen; Music Network Visualization using R; The 5 most influential data visualizations of all time
- Pearl Graph, the Incredible Set: New Names for Statistical Methods ( comments) - Dec 17, 2012.
Statisticians and Computer Scientists have done a poor job of choosing names. Who wants to use a method called "the Stalin-Mussolini Matrix Completion Algorithm"? And who would pass up the opportunity to use the "Schwarzenegger-Shatner Statistic" ? Here are some suggestions for renaming.
- On Big Data, Analytics and Hadoop, and Hadapt - Dec 16, 2012.
Unfortunately, Hadoop was designed for dealing with unstructured data, and tasks like extracting keywords from the web to build Google index. Hadoop does not use structure in relational data to speed up query processing, and its performance for processing relational data is suboptimal.
- IDC Study: Digital Universe in 2020 - Dec 15, 2012.
New Digital Universe Study reveals Big Data gap: less than 1% of world data is analyzed; less than 20% is protected. Machine-generated data is a key driver of data growth.
- Microsoft Patent for Personal Data Mining - Dec 15, 2012.
Microsoft was granted a patent for personal data mining for analyzing data supplied by users, aggregating across users, and finding information that can improve business operations and/or quality of life. The patent lists Bill Gates as a co-inventor.
- Book: Managing and Mining Sensor Data - Dec 14, 2012.
Comprehensive survey driven book on sensor data management and mining with chapters contributed by prominent researchers in the field
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 10-12: Data Science - a personal history; What Hadoop is and what Hadoop isn't - Dec 13, 2012.
Data Science - a personal history, from Jeff Hammerbacher; What Hadoop is and what Hadoop isn't; Poll Results: Where did you apply Analytics/Data Mining in 2012? Changes in top 5; International Year of Statistics video - show it to your innumerate friends
- KDnuggets 12:n28, Top Analytics Application Areas; Big Data Flood Cartoon; Deep Learning - Dec 12, 2012.
Top analytics and data mining industries, Cartoon: Preparing for Big Data flood, and more analytics/data mining news, including Features (9) | Software (4) | Courses, Events (2) | Webcasts (2) | Meetings (1) | Jobs (9) | Academic (7) | Competitions (5) | Publications (6) | NewsBriefs (4) | CFP (11)
- FREE IBM White Paper: The How's and Why's of Survey Research - Dec 11, 2012.
Discover the seven steps to better survey research - and discover how predictive analytics can take it to the next level. Get the white paper now.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 6-9: Great visual history of data visualization; Bayes theorem explained - Dec 10, 2012.
Great visual history of data visualization - from 1800 to now; Bayes theorem explained - how to adjust the probability after a test; The ant is a collectively intelligent, individually stupid; man is the opposite; Try R: Code School for Beginners
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 3-5: Real-Time Predictive Analytics with #BigData and R; Do data scientists earn $300K? Big Data dirty secret - Dec 6, 2012.
Real-Time Predictive Analytics with #BigData and R: the analytics stack; Do data scientists earn $300K? #BigData dirty secret; Data Scientist: #1 Hot IT Job for 2013 - a mix of statistician, a hacker, and an MBA
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 29 - Dec 2: MOA, OS framework for data stream mining; If BigData is too big - is DNA an answer? - Dec 3, 2012.
MOA, an open source framework for data stream mining, follow-up to Weka; If #BigData is too big - is DNA an answer? Harvard profs store 700 TB in DNA; British researchers analyze 2.5M articles, prove that machine learning/ NLP can accurately classify media