- 5 indispensable IT skills of the future - Aug 31, 2010.
Demand will be high for the ability to analyze BIG data, and also work with business units to define what data is needed and where to get it. #2 Skill: Understanding Risk.
- Stopping crime before it starts - Aug 27, 2010.
Sophisticated analysis of data can sometimes tell police where criminals are headed. LAPD plans to use such tools.
- Visual IQ Announces $3 Million Investment by Fog City Capital - Aug 26, 2010.
Visual IQ provides software and services that help its clients turn data-driven insights into actions that deliver better returns on their marketing dollars,
- SAS(r) Text Analytics named Trend Setting Product for 2010 - Aug 26, 2010.
SAS recognized for innovation and identifiable technology breakthrough
- Microsoft Top Three hottest new majors for a career in technology - Aug 26, 2010.
They are Data Mining/ML/AI/NLP, Business Intelligence, Web Analytics/Statistics
- Researcher Cracks ReCAPTCHA - Aug 23, 2010.
Homegrown algorithms for cheating Google's reCAPTCHA released earlier this month. Researcher was able to beat the updated reCAPTCHA 30 percent of the time.
- Online games are a gold mine for design ideas - Aug 23, 2010.
video gaming is no longer a private pursuit. Gaming services such as Microsoft's Xbox Live not only connect players in living rooms the world over, they can also record every move each gamer makes
- Equifax Capital Markets Integrates KXEN Technology - Aug 21, 2010.
Equifax can build models faster and identify variables that are most predictive of mortgage loan default and delinquency.
- A Chip That Digests Data and Calculates the Odds - Aug 21, 2010.
The company is redesigning processing circuits from the ground up to natively process probabilities - from the gate circuits to the processor architecture to the programming language.
- Jingwei International Q2 2010 Financial Results - Aug 19, 2010.
Data Mining revenue grew 72% year-over-year to $4.4 million. Jingwei International is a leading provider of data-mining, interactive marketing and software services in China
- Citizen Scientists Discover Rotating Pulsar - Aug 19, 2010.
Einstein@Home project uses data from Arecibo, the world's largest and most sensitive radio telescope
- Pervasive DataRush Reaches 2 TB/Hour Processing Speed - Aug 18, 2010.
Pervasive DataRush(tm) processes MalStone B-10 data at rates of two Terabytes per hour on a 32-core Intel Xeon 7550 server.
- Teradata buys analytics vendor Kickfire - Aug 14, 2010.
Kickfire's analytics appliance was noted for its use of MySQL and a special chip for boosting query performance
- IBM buys Unica for $480 million - Aug 13, 2010.
Unica will expand IBM's ability to help organizations analyze and predict customer preferences and develop more targeted marketing campaigns.
- Prescription Data Mining Companies Lose a Round in Federal Court - Aug 13, 2010.
A federal appeals court has upheld a Maine law that allows doctors to withhold prescription information from companies that could use it for targeted drug marketing.
- The anti-crisis project: Thinking our way to a better future - Aug 12, 2010.
the EU FuturICT initiative will exploit the revolution in modern computation and information technologies to build an immeasurably more powerful science of human systems and their interaction with the global environment.
- San Antonio Spurs select SAS(r) Analytics - Aug 10, 2010.
Spurs found an analytics advantage with SAS Visual Data Discovery
- Poll results: Many Data miners prefer to analyze social networks than participate - Aug 10, 2010.
42% of respondents prefer to analyze social networks, but not participate
- LinkedIn Acquires mSpoke For Its Recommendation Technology, Team - Aug 9, 2010.
mSpoke is a small Pittsburgh startup with recommendation technology that helps to make content more relevant.
- ID Insight patent to help prevent identity theft - Aug 7, 2010.
for innovative method of identifying address differences to help banks and other financial institutions detect and prevent identify theft.
- B-Schools All A-Twitter Over Social Media - Aug 5, 2010.
With interest in social media growing, B-schools are adding courses to teach students what it means for business
- Zynga Stresses Visual Access to Its Vast Data Volumes - Aug 2, 2010.
Zynga has over 230 million users monthly playing its games, like FarmVille and Mafia Wars. Ken Rudin, general manager of analytics for Zynga, discusses the challenges Zynga faced in getting meaningful insights to its analysts on several terabytes of game data captured daily.
- More powerful than ever, SAS(r) Analytics software fuels innovation - Aug 2, 2010.
Announced at JSM, enhancements arm organizations with econometric, optimization and statistical capabilities that surface opportunities, mitigate risk and streamline business processes.