- Social Media Insights from Predictive Analytics - Sep 29, 2010.
Words that have a negative weight tend to be found in SM posts with a low number of re-tweets (write, talk, trust, sentiment) while launch and America where commonly found in popular posts.
- Statistical Analysis and Data Mining Journal, Volume 3, Issue 5 - Sep 27, 2010.
this contains: A machine-learning approach to detecting unknown bacterial serovars; Discriminative frequent subgraph mining with optimality guarantees; and more
- Best Future Job #4: Forecaster of Everything - Sep 27, 2010.
The demand for statistics wonks will grow by 20% by 2018, according to the US Bureau of Labor.
- The New Business Intelligence of Social Media - Sep 23, 2010.
The Tools and Top 5 Measurable Attributes: a quick summary. 1. Volume of Conversation and Share of Voice ...
- Text Analytics Guru Interview - Sep 22, 2010.
Anderson Analytics' Tom H. C. Anderson speaks with Seth Grimes about text mining
- White Paper: Seven Reasons You Need Predictive Analytics Today - Sep 22, 2010.
This definitive white paper reveals seven strategic objectives that can be attained to their full potential only by employing predictive analytics, namely Compete, Grow, Enforce, Improve, Satisfy, Learn, and Act.
- KDnuggets 10:n22, Like Google Instant? Competitions: Traffic jams solved, Tourism, multi-omics. - Sep 22, 2010.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (8) | Courses (3) | Webcasts (1) | Software (4) | Jobs (6) | Meetings (3) | AudioVideo (4) | Publications (5) | NewsBriefs (12) | CFP (7)
- New Yorker: The Face of Facebook - Sep 18, 2010.
a lengthy and interesting profile of Mark Zuckerberg ahead of the release of "Social Network" movie, based on the story of Zuckerberg founding Facebook.
- James Taylor: First Look - Microsoft Analytics - Sep 16, 2010.
Microsoft is making a serious investment in SQL Server as well as into SharePoint and Excel, targeting business users, bright domain experts who know where to find data and how to massage them in Excel.
- OKCupid: The REAL 'Stuff White People Like' - Sep 13, 2010.
How are whites, blacks, Asians, or whoever different from everybody else? What tastes, interests, and concepts define an ethnic group?
- Interview with Peter Bruce: Taking a Chance on Statistics - Sep 13, 2010.
It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time - Winston Churchill once said it the British plan for WW II. How does it apply to statistics?
- A new e-book on Community Detection and Mining in Social Media - Sep 13, 2010.
discuss graph-based community detection techniques and many important extensions that handle dynamic, heterogeneous networks in social media. Download available
- KDnuggets 10:n21, Becoming data scientist; 13 Jobs; PAW, M21010; New Software, Acquisitions - Sep 9, 2010.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (9) | Webcasts (1) | Software (7) | Jobs (13) | Academic (1) | Meetings (1) | AudioVideo (1) | Publications (7) | NewsBriefs (11) | CFP (8)
- Becoming a data scientist - Sep 8, 2010.
Alex Kamil gives eight points from his perspective as an undergraduate student. Many of these reference statistics and math, and Kamil provides an excellent list of papers, websites and technologies to tinker with.
- Is the AUC the Best Measure? - Sep 8, 2010.
The area under the curve (AUC) that relates the hit rate to the false alarm rate ia a way to measure predictive modeling accuracy. This paper examines the problems with using AUC.
- Economist: Untangling the social web - Sep 7, 2010.
From retailing to counterterrorism, the ability to analyse social connections is proving increasingly useful
- Cyber Security Data for Experimentation - Sep 3, 2010.
NSF wants to fund a project to combine a data-mining expert with the Tor data and see what insights can be extracted from it. If you are that data-mining expert, please contact us.
- Think the Answer's Clear? Look Again - Sep 1, 2010.
Scientist at Work: Dr. Donald A. Redelmeier. He can totally against intuition, and come up with a beautiful finding, such as using cell phones while driving increases collision risk 4-fold, and benefits from changing lanes are illusory.
- Location Determines Social Network Influence - Sep 1, 2010.
Number of connections less important than proximity to core, according to CCNY team