KDnuggets™ News 10:n17, Jul 21
Features (8) |
Courses (5) |
Webcasts (1) |
Software (2) |
Jobs (8) |
Meetings (2) |
AudioVideo (1) |
Publications (8) |
NewsBriefs (9) |
CFP (6) |
- New Poll: Types of Data Analyzed/Mined in the past 12 months - Jul 20, 2010.
please vote on www.kdnuggets.com or from this item
- Poll Results: Octopus wins World Cup Prediction Competition - Jul 20, 2010.
KDnuggets readers were better fans than predictors, since only 17% correctly predicted Spain as the eventual winner of the FIFA World Cup.
- PAW Washington DC, Oct 19-20, 2010 - Jul 13, 2010.
KDnuggets readers get an extra 10% off by July 27 - register for Predictive Analytics World conference, Oct 19-20 2010, Washington, DC for another deep exploration of leading-edge methods and hot topics.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory since Jun 29 - Jul 20, 2010.
Additions to KDnuggets Directory in companies, datasets, education, meetings, software, solutions, websites sections
- 2010 IEEE ICDM Research Contributions and Outstanding Service Awards - Jul 16, 2010.
The IEEE ICDM Research Contributions Award is for influential research contributions to the field of data mining. The IEEE ICDM Outstanding Service Award is for major service contributions to data mining and ICDM as the world's premier research conference in data mining. Nominations due Aug 15
- SIGKDD 2010 to Honor Outstanding Doctoral Dissertations - Jul 15, 2010.
The awards recognize outstanding research in the field of data mining and knowledge discovery. The 2010 winner is Dr. Mohammad Al Hasan with dissertation "Mining Interesting Subgraphs by Output Space Sampling" (advisor: Mohammed Zaki, RPI). Committee also selected a runner-up and additional finalists.
- Most viewed items for week July 11-17 - Jul 19, 2010.
Short course: Statistical Learning and Data Mining III; Are you attending KDD2010 in Washington DC, Jul 25-28? We are;
Top jobs: Predictive Modeler/Data Mining Scientist at Humana, Louisville, KY; Sr. Software Engineer, machine learning & distributed computing at an advertising startup, New York, NY;
- Most viewed for July 4-10 - Jul 14, 2010.
Lessons of 800 Years of Bubbles; UCSD data mining contest;
Top jobs: Knowledge Analyst at Morgan Stanley, NY; Scientist at ID Analytics, San Diego;
- SAS offers analytics skills for MBAs and out-of-work technologists - Jul 17, 2010.
The Advanced Business Analytics course for MBAs is a ready-out-of-the-box program that includes course materials and multimedia extras to cover 15 weeks worth of business analytics instruction tailored for management students.
- Summer School on Data Mining, Maastricht, Netherlands, Aug 30 - Sep 2 - Jul 14, 2010.
An intensive 4-day introduction to methods and applications
- Short course: Statistical Learning and Data Mining III - Jul 12, 2010.
we emphasize the tools for tackling modern-day data analysis problems, including gradient boosting, SVMs and kernel methods, random forests, lasso and LARS, supervised principal components, and cross-validation. We also present interesting case studies.
- Learn How Experts Mine Data in Denver, CO or Washington, DC - Jul 6, 2010.
The Modeling Agency vendor-neutral Predictive Analytics & Data Mining Course Series is scheduled for Aug 23 - 27 ( Denver, CO) and Oct 4 - 8 in Washington, DC
- Tools for Discovering Patterns in Data, Sept. 13-14, Charlottesville, VA - Jul 6, 2010.
a practical, experience-based, concepts course, known for demystifying data mining with clarity and humor. Learn to isolate the essential aspects of a problem and select and combine appropriate software tools to find useful patterns in noisy, incomplete data.
- Methods for High-Dimensional Data Integration - Jul 17, 2010.
Reward $15,000. The Seeker is interested in learning about the universe of cutting-edge methods that may be used to integrate two or more high-dimensional datasets. Many more details are provided once Solvers log into the website and open a Project Room for this Challenge.
- Data Mining in Streaming Data - Jul 9, 2010.
Using methods from Eamonn Keogh (such as SAX: Symbolic Aggregate approXimation) we take a lot of numeric data, reduce its dimension and then convert it into symbolic representation, for clustering and other analysis
- Computational Advertising Scientist at Akamai, Cambridge, MA - Jul 19, 2010.
The Computational Advertising research team does research and prototyping of techniques that make online behavioral advertising more efficient, including structured and unstructured data mining, machine learning for predictive analytics and behavior classification.
- Principal Machine Learning Engineer at eBay, San Jose, CA - Jul 19, 2010.
a highly motivated and talented Data Mining and Machine Learning Engineer to join eBay's Advertising & Traffic Solutions team and innovate in building analytics driven platforms.
- Predictive Analytics Technical Pre Sales Engineer at Predixion Software, Aliso Viejo, CA or Redmond, WA - Jul 15, 2010.
a superstar pre-sales expert who can help close large enterprise accounts with (and without) our consulting partners by building customer specific demonstrations, proofs of concept and provide implementation services to kick off projects when required.
- Predictive Modeler/Data Mining Scientist at Humana, Louisville, KY - Jul 14, 2010.
Are you an analytical thinker? Would you enjoy using your mathematical and other quantitative expertise to analyze large amount of data and improve critical business processes and financial metrics?
- Sr. Software Engineer, machine learning & distributed computing at an advertising startup, New York, NY - Jul 14, 2010.
seeking a creative Sr. Software Engineer with machine learning and distributed computing experience. Your role will be to help the development team in building a sophisticated online advertising metrics application.
- Sr. Director IT - Collateral Solutions (Sr. Director, Valuation Modeling) at CoreLogic, Santa Ana, CA - Jul 12, 2010.
to develop and maintain automated valuation models for domestic and international markets; produce documentation and attend meetings with clients to facilitate sales efforts.
- Director, Data Management at ID Analytics, San Diego, CA - Jul 8, 2010.
responsible for the organization and execution of the corporate data processes and strategies, including all production data processes, research data repositories and participating in the company's data strategy planning.
- Knowledge Analyst at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, Purchase, NY - Jul 7, 2010.
looking for a knowledge discovery professional interested in statistical analysis, probability and machine learning, with demonstrable expertise in MATLAB and a strong Math, Physics or EE background. Understanding of Fixed Income markets is a plus.
- What Will Data Science Teach Us? - Jul 20, 2010.
With great data comes great responsibility; so to begin, the data science community must ask: what questions do mass quantities of measured human existence allow us to address that were never previously possible?
- Social Media Analytics: You Still Need Analysts - Jul 20, 2010.
Though many functions can be automated, a social CRM platform must also deliver sophisticated analytics to those human beings - especially your customer service agents - who are the critical links in the customer-engagement cycle.
- Google Researchers Exploring Social Networking - Jul 19, 2010.
Adding to rumors about a Google social network, a Googler posted a huge slide deck of research findings on social networking problems and solutions.
- Global BI Market to reach $12.4B by 2015 - Jul 19, 2010.
The global business intelligence (BI) software market is projected to reach $12.4 billion by the year 2015, driven by the growing need to empower all stakeholders of businesses with right information at the appropriate time.
- ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data: CFP and recent contents - Jul 9, 2010.
TKDD is a young but prestigious journal in the field of Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. We welcome strong submissions of research and survey articles on various themes in the field. The contents of recent articles indicate our scope of interest and quality of submissions.
- Enterprise-Grade Hadoop: Tools for Petabyte Analytics - Jul 9, 2010.
Hadoop is the cornerstone of next-generation technologies known as No SQL. Hadoop, like many No SQL technologies, is still primarily an open-source community and has not yet made the critical transition into a mature enterprise-grade analytics market segment.
- SAS vs WPS: Piracy or Innovation? - Jul 9, 2010.
- teach yourself datamining in 21 days - Jul 8, 2010.
World of Warcraft player learns data mining and shares his insights, including how to cluster paladins or predict toon's class. Sample data in Weka format provided.
- Are you attending KDD2010 in Washington DC, Jul 25-28? We are - Jul 12, 2010.
Microsoft Bing and Advertising teams will be at KDD and we'd love to talk to you about a career in data mining or statistical analysis.
- Pitney Bowes's Acquisition of Portrait Software plc - Jul 20, 2010.
Pitney Bowes MapInfo UK Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pitney Bowes Inc. (NYSE: PBI), announced it has received acceptances for over 90 percent of the existing issued ordinary shares of Portrait Software plc and the acquisition is now wholly unconditional.
- Patent: System and Method for Wikifying Content for Knowledge Navigation and Discovery - Jul 20, 2010.
The present invention utilizes data sources and facilities for enabling community-based contributions for identifying associations between concepts disclosed by intellectuals.
- Qlik IPO Shows How Hot Business Intelligence Is - Jul 20, 2010.
Qlik did better than the rest of the BI market, growing sales by 33 percent in 2009, and by 66% in Q1 of 2010.
- TIBCO Silver Spotfire makes BI, Analytics available in the Cloud - Jul 19, 2010.
New TIBCO Silver Spotfire Brings Business Intelligence and Analytics to Anyone at Home or Work; New Platform Builds on Company's TIBCO Silver Initiative
- SAS moves in on the intelligence market with the acquisition of VSTI - Jul 19, 2010.
VSTI was delivering advanced analytic solutions to the US intelligence community (IC) for over a decade.
- UK Home Shopping Giant to Cut Bad Debt With KXEN Analytics - Jul 17, 2010.
FGH - UK arm of Otto Group, the world's largest mail order group and the second largest retailer on the Internet - has deployed KXEN analytics in its credit risk team after three years of using the solution in marketing.
- Oracle BI 11g Sets itself Apart - Jul 15, 2010.
according to Evelson, nobody else has anything as seamless and elegant and tightly integrated as Oracle. Release 11g's upgraded interactivity for BI includes rich Internet applications, text to query, mobile BI and analytic performance management.
- Marketwire Acquires Social Media Monitoring And Analytics Startup Sysomos - Jul 8, 2010.
Sysomos offers data analytics products, including MAP and Heartbeat, that collect and analyzes more than a billion new online conversations a month.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.