KDnuggets™ News 11:n08, Mar 30
Features (6) |
Courses (2) |
Webcasts (1) |
Software (7) |
Jobs (10) |
Academic (2) |
Meetings (4) |
AudioVideo (7) |
Publications (6) |
NewsBriefs (8) |
CFP (22) |
- New Poll: Which R GUI you use frequently? - Mar 28, 2011.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: which of these R GUIs you use frequently (if any). Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com.
- Poll Results: R share of analytics work - Mar 28, 2011.
There is a bi-polar distribution, with 36% not using R at all, and 34% using R for more than half of their analytics work. European data miners are more likely to be using R for a majority of their work. Many useful links were suggested.
- Call-For-Speakers: Predictive Analytics World NYC & London - Mar 29, 2011.
Join Predictive Analytics World to share how predictive analytics delivers a business impact for your organization. It's an exciting time for PAW and predictive analytics in general, as reflected by a steadfast increase in both attendance and speaker proposals at each conference.
- Maximize the Commercial Benefits of Your Text Analytics Solutions - Mar 24, 2011.
As part of the launch of the 7th Annual Text Analytics Summit (May 18-19, Boston), KDnuggets subscribers can get (free) access to exclusive industry knowledge that will help to develop a profitable text analytics strategy for 2011 and beyond. Reduced registration for KDnuggets readers.
- Most viewed items for Mar 20-26 - Mar 27, 2011.
Review of Data mining tools; Data Mining Lecture: Why Naive Bayes Works;
Top jobs: Analytical Modeling Scientist at SAS, San Diego, CA; Sr. Text Mining Engineer, Web Analytics eBay, San Jose, CA;
- Most viewed items for Mar 13-19 - Mar 20, 2011.
New Poll: R in your Analytics/Data Mining; Time on Data Mining of Personal Info;
Top jobs: Data Mining Analyst at Waterfront Int'l, Toronto; SDE at Amazon
- ISMIS 2011 Contest Results: Music Information Retrieval - Mar 29, 2011.
The competition attracted 292 teams with 357 members, and 150 teams actively participated, submitting over 12,000 solutions in total, largely outperforming baseline methods
- Getting in shape for Data Competition - Mar 28, 2011.
This talk will be interesting to many who plan to participate in Heritage Health Prize, Kaggle, KDD-2011 or other data mining/analytics competitions
- Canada Open Data Pilot Project - Mar 25, 2011.
The government of Canada made its data available for both non-commercial and commercial use. Data covers areas such as health, environment, agriculture, and natural resources.
- Awesome: Data Science Toolkit - open tools for data- Mar 25, 2011.
Data Science Toolkit is a collection of many useful geolocation and text mining APIs, such as Street Address to Coordinates, File to Text, or Text to People. You can grab the entire site as a free self-contained server which can run on Amazon EC2.
- Elastic-R: Collaborative Environment for Data Analysis in the Cloud - Mar 23, 2011.
Elastic-R is a cloud-based portal, which works with R and lets users to collaborate, share and reuse functions, algorithms, R sessions; and to perform elastic distributed computing.
- Blaze Statistics Software - Mar 22, 2011.
a small but highly useful statistical app for researchers, managers, analysts and students, focused on common tasks such as creating histograms, generating descriptive statistics and hypothesis testing.
- KNOWLEDGE GRID: A service-oriented data mining framework on Grids - Mar 18, 2011.
allows for the distributed execution of data mining algorithms and KDD applications on Grids through the use of WSRF Web Services. New version is fully service-oriented and each data mining task or workflow is implemented as one or a set of services.
- Sr. Hadoop Engineer at eBay, San Jose, CA - Mar 29, 2011.
Designing and implementing a scalable, extensible, reliable distributed data processing and analytical infrastructure that spans multiple technologies, including Hadoop, Enterprise Data Warehouse, Machine Learning, Data Visualization and Services.
- Applied Researcher at Microsoft China R&D Group, Online Services Division, Beijing, China - Mar 25, 2011.
Bing Data Mining Team is hiring extremely talented, highly motivated and productive individuals with expertise in the areas of analytics, statistics, machine learning, and data mining.
- Analytical Modeling Staff Scientist-11001127 at SAS, San Diego, CA - Mar 24, 2011.
analyze customer data and build high-end analytical models for solving high-value business problems, such as credit card fraud, credit risk, network security, tax fraud detection, and revenue and collections optimization.
- Research Engineer, Machine Learning at Chomp, San Francisco, CA - Mar 24, 2011.
you will be joining a team of top scientists that are working on cutting edge technology.
- Research Engineer (Recommendations) at Chomp, San Francisco, CA - Mar 24, 2011.
own design and development of the recommendation engine at Chomp, and any other personalization of user facing "home screen" feeds of recommended apps and users to follow that include machine learning.
- Sr. Software Algorithm Engineer at eBay, San Jose, CA - Mar 23, 2011.
design, develop and customize text mining software to classify our marketplace (www.ebay.com) listings. Great opportunity to use state of the art techniques for mining and understanding massive amount of unstructured (free form text description), semi-structured (user behavior) and structured (catalog) data.
- Specialist, Sales Data at Starwood Hotels and Resorts, White Plains, NY - Mar 18, 2011.
help drive sales decisioning and insights across Sales Strategy, New Business Development, Global Corporate Sales, and Specialty/Airline groups by providing deep analytical, data mining, and dashboard support. Job location is moving to Stamford, CT in Dec 2011.
- Senior Customer Analyst at Oriental Trading, Ralston, NE - Mar 17, 2011.
develop ideas to increase revenue, reduce costs, and improve decision-support; provide analytical support to customer marketing efforts and educate and train Customer Analysts about statistical techniques and modeling methodology.
- Statistical Modeler/Data Mining Consultant at Objectifi, Toronto, ON, Canada - Mar 17, 2011.
Objectifi is a leader in strategic marketing consulting for inbound and outbound optimization and personalization.
- Software Development Engineer at Amazon.com, Seattle, WA - Mar 16, 2011.
exceptional SW engineers to develop algorithms and build systems to automatically solve a variety of Information Retrieval and Data Mining problems related to the Amazon Product Catalog
- Summer intern at Telefonica Research, Madrid, Spain - Mar 28, 2011.
work on the EducaMovil project, which is a game-based cell phone learning tool to provide educational contents for afterschool programs in low-income communities.
- Heilbronn Research Fellows at U. of Bristol, Bristol, UK - Mar 21, 2011.
skills in areas of statistical data mining such as semi-supervised learning, recommender systems and information flow in graphs: however, your own research need not be directly in such areas. The Fellowships will be for three years, with a preferred start date in September 2011.
- IDA'11 with IDA Frontier Prize CfP - Mar 29, 2011.
IDA'11 is focusing on complex real-world problems. To celebrate 10th IDA Symposium in Porto, Portugal, we will award the IDA Frontier Prize to the most visionary contribution.
- ACM SIGMOD/PODS 2011 Conference, Jun 12-16, Athens - Mar 22, 2011.
the top data management conference in the world for researchers, practitioners, developers, and users to report and share cutting-edge ideas and results, and to exchange techniques, tools, and experiences
- SDM'11: 2011 SIAM International Conference on Data Mining, Mesa, AZ, Apr 28-30 - Mar 21, 2011.
Early registration deadline: March 31, 2011. On-line registration and conference program schedule is now available. Conference includes 4 plenary talks, 4 workshops, 5 tutorials, 84 technical papers
- Data 2.0, Apr 4, San Francisco: News and Updates - Mar 18, 2011.
Robert Scoble will be judging the top 5 startups, Andreas Weigend will keynote on Social Data Revolution, and 5 new panels added, including Advertising Equation and Augmented Business Intelligence
- NASA on Data Mining and Domestic Air Safety - Mar 24, 2011.
NASA TV "The Leading Edge" examines how the agency researchers, together with carriers like Southwest Airlines, are using data mining to help prevent future air mishaps.
- UCB Data Mining Lecture (Mar 16), Cluster Analysis - Mar 24, 2011.
Video of Data Mining Lecture by Prof. Ram Akella at UC Berkeley, on Cluster Analysis and Market Segmentation
- UCB Data Mining Lecture (Mar 9), Text Mining and Search Engines - Mar 23, 2011.
Video of Data Mining Lecture by Prof. Ram Akella at UC Berkeley, on Text Mining using SVD, Search Engines, Claritics Research Project
- UCB Data Mining Lecture (Mar 2), Why Naive Bayes Works - Mar 22, 2011.
Video of Data Mining Lecture by Prof. Ram Akella at UC Berkeley, covering Why Naive Bayes Works
- UCB Data Mining Lecture (Feb 23), Naive Bayes and Crowd Science - Mar 22, 2011.
Video of Data Mining Lecture by Prof. Ram Akella, Naive Bayes (part 1) and Crowd Science guest lecture (part 2)
- Leo Breiman on origins of CART - Mar 23, 2011.
The late Leo Breiman, a founding father of CART, talks about his experience using statistics in the Cold War, and traces the ideas, decisions and chance events that culminated in his contribution to CART.
- How The New York Times Uses R - Mar 17, 2011.
how R is used in the news cycle at the The New York Times to crunch data and prepare graphics before they go to print or online.
- The new book by Roberto Battiti and Mauro Brunato is now available: - Mar 29, 2011.
Reactive Business Intelligence is about integrating data mining, modeling and interactive visualization, into an end-to-end discovery and continuous innovation process powered by human and automated learning. Special discount to KDnuggets readers.
- The Popularity of Data Analysis Software: R vs SAS vs SPSS - Mar 28, 2011.
A comparison of popularity of R, SAS, SPSS and other data analysis software packages, as measured by discussions, citations, jobs, and more.
- New Book: Social Network Data Analytics - Mar 28, 2011.
spans a wide range of topics in social network data mining, and focuses on the data analytical aspects of social networks in the internet scenario, rather than the traditional sociology-driven emphasis.
- The evolving market for NoSQL Databases - Mar 28, 2011.
the interview focused on the evolution of the NoSQL database market, the development of new Proprietary data platforms such as Amazon's Dynamo and Google's BigTable, and open source developments, such as Cassandra and Hadoop.
- Why Experts Get the Future Wrong - Mar 27, 2011.
A review of over 27,000 forecasts showed that the experts were worse than statistical models. In fact they could barely eke out a tie with the proverbial dart-throwing chimps.
- Review of Data mining tools - Mar 19, 2011.
Reviews historical and current data mining and related tools, and proposes criteria for the tool categorization based on different user groups, data structures, data mining tasks and methods, visualization and interaction styles, import and export options for data and models, platforms, and license policies.
- SAS, Teradata Customers Influence Product Development - Mar 29, 2011.
A Product Advisory Council (PAC) now provides customer input and validation to joint SAS and Teradata in-database offerings before they go to market.
- Hadapt Big Data and Big Analytics in the Cloud - Mar 25, 2011.
Hadapt Inc. announces initial financing and patent-pending innovations for high performance analytics across structured and unstructured data in private and public cloud environments.
- Color App - Data Mining Spontaneous Social Networks - Mar 25, 2011.
Photo sharing is not our mission. We think it's cool and we think it's fun, but we're a data mining company. We are really much more about bringing these spontaneous instant social networks.
- How GamesAnalytics helps make better, more profitable games - Mar 24, 2011.
Games collect lots of data, which can help understand what is going on, how players are playing and what parts of the game make money.
- TwentyFeet aggregates your social stats - Mar 23, 2011.
TwentyFeet is an "egotracking" service that help users keep track of their own social media activities (twitter, facebook, bit.ly, ...) and monitor the results
- AKOTA Document Prioritization System - Mar 21, 2011.
AKOTA adapts to the unique and individualized way each analyst attacks each problem, and assists them in prioritizing the documents important to his or her task.
- Rule to Enable Medicaid Data Mining for Fraud - Mar 19, 2011.
HHS proposed rule will enable states to use federal funds for data mining Medicaid claims data for fraud.
- Infochimps releases new Big Data - Mar 17, 2011.
Infochimps announced the launch of 2000+ new data sets at SXSW. Infochimps is in the business of curating, housing and providing API access to large data sets.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- Advances in Social Network Analysis and Mining, Positions/Short Papers, due Apr 1
- Benelearn 2011, due Apr 5
- TIR'11: Text-Based Information Retrieval, due Apr 13
- SPIRE 2011, due Apr 20
- Speaker proposals for PAW NYC 2011, due Apr 25
- Learning from Unstructured Clinical Text, due Apr 29
- Unsupervised and Transfer Learning, due Apr 29
- RKD 11, due Apr 30
- Advances in Geographic Information Systems, due May 1
- Mining and Learning with Graphs, due May 6
- Knowledge Discovery from Sensor Data, due May 6
- Large-scale Data Mining: Theory and Applications, due May 7
- Knowledge Discovery and Business Intelligence track at EPIA2011, due May 10
- Speaker proposals for PAW London 2011, due May 12
- IDA 2011 CFP and Frontier Prize, due May 14
- IJISMD Spec. Issue on Enterprise Engineering, due May 15
- MDS 2011, due May 15
- OR53 Bioinformatics, Systems and Synthetic Biology Stream, due May 15
- Multimedia Data Mining, due May 20
- BIOKDD-2011: Data Mining in Bioinformatics, due May 20
- Social Network Mining and Analysis, due May 25
- Crowdsourcing for Information Retrieval, due Jun 1
Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything. Gregg Easterbrook