Data Mining / Analytic News Briefs, Aug 2012
- Romney uses secretive data-mining - Aug 27, 2012.
Romney campaign began a secretive data-mining project this summer to sift through Americans personal information - including their purchasing history and church attendance - to identify new and likely wealthy donors.
- Aerospike buys AlchemyDB, launches community edition, gets new funding - Aug 27, 2012.
Aerospike (formerly Citrusleaf) added Alchemy team to integrate AlchemyDB index, document store, graph database, and SQL functionality into Aerospike Database; Launched community edition which can handle >200K TPS on commodity servers; Attracts Series B Funding and adds Don Haderle, Father of IBM DB2 as advisor.
- 11Ants Analytics Predictor for Oracle - Aug 24, 2012.
11Ants Predictor for Oracle is a high speed scoring engine for deploying predictive models to Oracle enterprise databases. It enables users to easily deploy predictive models built with 11Ants Analytics desktop modeling tools
- DataWeek Top Innovator Winners in 19 categories - Aug 23, 2012.
A common trend among winners is that most of their technologies are available online and as-a-service, offering data technology to even small businesses and startups
- US intelligence tests crowd-sourcing against experts - Aug 22, 2012.
Can large groups be better predictors of terrorism and international events than analysts in government spy services?
- SAS, LSU launch MS in Analytics - Aug 20, 2012.
In a successful pilot during the 2011-2012 school year, all graduates found employment in weeks with companies like Amazon.com, Bank of America and SAS.
- Big Data Analytics take majority of VC Funding - Aug 15, 2012.
Within Big Data, analytics companies take over 50% of recent Venture Capital deals, followed by big data infrastructure and applications.
- Interviewing Data Scientists: 5 core skills - Aug 13, 2012.
Bill Franks, Chief Analytics Officer of Teradata, talks about data artists vs data scientists and 5 core skills he looks for in an interview
- Precog Unveils Labcoat, a New Interactive Tool for Understanding Data - Aug 7, 2012.
Labcoat empowers data analysts, data scientists, and developers to integrate, analyze, and visualize large amounts of data.
- Fractal Analytics personalized Customer DNA marketing - Aug 6, 2012.
Fractal Analytics demonstrates the power of art and science for personalized Customer DNA marketing at Shopper Insights in Action
- New Tools For Search Engine Hacking and Data Mining - Aug 3, 2012.
Free Diggity data mining tools can identify and extract sensitive information from many popular cloud-based services and search engines like Google and Bing.