Analytics Education Boom – Trends and Overview
We review the state of Data analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science education in the USA and online. The US Education MS Analytics Degree boom started in 2012, but how will it compete with free online education?
I have recently helped a college to evaluate setting up online program in Data Analytics and that gave me a good opportunity to update KDnuggets directories for
- Online education in Analytics and Data Mining,
- Analytics Education in USA/Canada, and
- Analytics and Data Mining Certificates.
Here is a slideshare version of my presentation
First, a note on terminology. Different names like "Data Mining", "Predictive Analytics", "Data Analytics", "Data Science", "Business Analytics", "Knowledge Discovery in Data (KDD)" are used to describe this field, the essence of which is analyzing data and finding useful patterns. Different names convey somewhat different emphasis, and we will point this distinction when appropriate.
Some of the terms like "Knowledge Discovery" have become less fashionable over the years, and others like "Data Science" and "Data Analytics" have become much more fashionable - see Google Trends chart comparing "data mining", "predictive analytics", "data analytics", "data science", "business analytics".
For simplicity, we will refer to this field as "Data Analytics".
"Big Data" is also a related term, although it covers also many other aspects like storage and security and cloud infrastructure which are not part of analytics.
Web and Social network are one of the most important application areas of analytics - here is a compilation of useful resources for Google Analytics and Web analytics. However, proper education in Analytics needs to go far beyond Google Analytics.
Education in Data Analytics is in big demand, and this trend especially accelerated in 2012, as seen in the chart above.
The table below lists the main US degree programs in Data Analytics. We note that "Business Analytics" is the most popular degree name, and these programs are quite expensive. How will they compete with free education available online?
|Institution||US State||Program Name||Online Option?||Length (months)||Cost||Year Started|
|Bentley||MA||MS In Marketing Analytics||no||12 to 18||$65,000||2009|
|Berkeley||CA||Master of Engineering||no||10||na||2013|
|CCSU||CT||MS in Data Mining||yes||24||na||2001|
|CMU||PA||Master of Information Systems Management||no||16||na||2011|
|Columbia||NY||MS, concentration in Machine Learning||part||24||na||2012|
|DePaul||IL||MS in Predictive Analytics||yes||24||$37,000||2010|
|Drexel||PA||MS in Business Analytics||no||20||$45,000||2012|
|Fordham||NY||MS in Business Analytics||no||12||$34,740||2012|
|Harvard||MA||MS in Computational Science and Engineering||no||12||na||2012|
|LSU||LA||MS in Analytics||no||10 to 12||$22,000 (res. 8,500)||2012|
|MSU||MI||MS in Business Analytics||no||12||$39,000||2013|
|NCSU||NC||MS In Analytics||no||10||$36,300||2007|
|Northwestern||IL||MS In Analytics||no||15||$58,000||2012|
|Northwestern SCS||IL||MS in Predictive Analytics Online||yes||12 to 24||$39,000||2009|
|NYU||NY||MBA, specialization In Business Analytics||part||24||na||2012|
|NYU||NY||MS in Business Analytics||part||12||$63,500||2013|
|Rutgers||NJ||MBS in Analytics||no||18 to 24||na||2011|
|SJU||PA||MS in Business Intelligence||yes||15 to 24||$26,760||2008|
|Stanford University||CA||MS Computer Science, Specialization in Information Management and Analytics||part||24||na||2010|
|Stevens||NJ||MS in BI and Analytics||no||20||$46,000||2012|
|U. Tennessee||TN||MS in Business Analytics||no||17||$40,000 (r 14,200)||2010|
|UC||OH||MS in Business Analytics||no||9 to 12||na||2012|
|USF||CA||MS in Analytics||no||11||$42,940||2012|
|Uconn||CT||MS in Business Analytics and Project Management||no||12||$22,500||2012|
|UIUC||IL||MS in Statistics, Analytics Concentration||no||12||na||2009|
|U. Michigan Dearborn||MI||MS in Business Analytics||yes||12 to 24||na||2012|
What is missing ? Please comment below.
Other lists of analytics and data mining education include:
- Top 20 analytics programs , Information Week
- Survey of Graduate Degree Programs in Analytics, from Institute for Advanced Analytics.
- Graduate Programs in Big Data and Data Science, from Gil Press, Feb 2013.
- Data Informed Map of University Programs in Big Data Analytics, Feb 2013.
- Colleges with Data Science Degrees, Jan 2013.
- 26 Univ. offer Data Science in 2013 in US, from Columbia Data Science course, week 14: Presentations, Cathy O'Neil (Math Babe) blog.
Most popular last 30 days
Most viewed last 30 days
- 50+ Data Science and Machine Learning Cheat Sheets - Jul 14, 2015.
- R vs Python for Data Science: The Winner is ... - May 26, 2015.
- 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist - Nov 22, 2014.
- Top 10 Data Analysis Tools for Business - Jun 13, 2014.
- Top 20 Python Machine Learning Open Source Projects - Jun 1, 2015.
- Data is Ugly - Tales of Data Cleaning - Aug 1, 2015.
- Data Science, Analytics, & Data Mining Online Degrees and Certificates - Aug 13, 2015.
- How to become a Data Scientist for Free - Aug 28, 2015.
Most shared last 30 days
- Impact of IoT on Big Data Landscape - Jul 29, 2015.
- Data is Ugly - Tales of Data Cleaning - Aug 1, 2015.
- RightRelevance helps find key topics, top influencers in Big Data, Data Science, and Beyond - Aug 11, 2015.
- HeroX Cognitive Computing Challenge: read a document, load database with results - Aug 19, 2015.
- New Standard Methodology for Analytical Models - Aug 3, 2015.
- Paradoxes of Data Science - Aug 21, 2015.
- Overcoming Overfitting with the reusable holdout: Preserving validity in adaptive data analysis - Aug 12, 2015.