- ACM SIGKDD 2010 Innovation Award to Prof. Christos Faloutsos - Jun 22, 2010.for contributions to graph and multimedia mining, fractals, self-similarity and power laws; indexing for multimedia and bioinformatics data, and data base performance evaluation.
- ACM SIGKDD 2010 Service Award to Prof. Osmar R. Zaiane - Jun 22, 2010.for his significant service and contributions to the global KDD community.
- IEEE ICDM Contest, 5K prize - Jun 22, 2010.predict city traffic based on measurements from Automatic Traffic Recorders or real-time notifications from in-car GPS navigators
- Call for participation: INFORMS Data Mining Contest 2010 - Jun 22, 2010.develop a model that predicts stock price movements at five minute intervals.
- Odds Are, It's Wrong ( comments) - Jun 21, 2010.It's science's dirtiest secret: testing hypotheses by statistical analysis stands on a flimsy foundation
- Most viewed items for week Jun 13-19 - Jun 22, 2010.World Cup prediction from Bayes Forecast; 10 Hottest Careers in America
Top Jobs: Data Mining Algorithms Scientist at Guardian Analytics; Director, Analytics (Fraud) at ACI Worldwide
- Most viewed items for week Jun 6-12 - Jun 17, 2010.World Cup prediction from Bayes Forecast; 10 Hottest Careers in America;
Top jobs: Sr Data Mining Algorithms Engineer at Guardian Analytics; Director, Analytics (Fraud) at ACI Worldwide
Software (see also All Software)
- effiScience: Experience the Power of Hyper3 Technology - Jun 22, 2010.Hyper^3 is a powerful SaaS Artificial Intelligence Complex Analytics solution which transcends the limits of traditional linear or statistical complex analytics platforms
- RapidMiner performs Sentiment Analysis during the World Cup - Jun 21, 2010.The favorite teams are continuously determined during the World Cup with RapidMiner and RapidAnalytics server
- Data Mining and Rule Engine Software Download - Jun 21, 2010.CMSR is a new generation data mining and rule engine software supporting end-to-end cycles from data analytics to deployment of predictive models and rule inferencing models.
- Wikiposit: a virtual amalgamation of data from many sources - Jun 21, 2010.325,118 Data Sets. Combine, Transform, Plot, Download, Share.
- Veriguide plagiarism detection system - Jun 21, 2010.publicly available - in 5 minutes find if paper is plagiarized from the internet. Developed by The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Jobs (see also All Jobs)
- Senior Software Engineer - iTunes Genius at Apple, Cupertino, CA - Jun 22, 2010.with focus on Genius Recommendation and Playlisting features, and day-to-day operations of the iTunes Store. The candidate should be a self starting, energetic individual who is not afraid to question assumptions and with excellent written and oral skills.
- Data Mining Researcher, Microsoft Ads Platform at Microsoft, Bellevue, WA - Jun 21, 2010.understand and optimize the search ad marketplace for users, advertisers and publishers as well as design mechanisms and policies to protect the health of the marketplace
- Technical Director, SW region at KXEN, San Diego or Phoenix - Jun 21, 2010.responsible for technical pre-sales support, training, and consulting activities in the Southwest (San Diego/Phoenix) region of the US.
- Technical Presales Consultant at KXEN, San Francisco, CA - Jun 19, 2010.responsible for technical pre-sales support, training, and consulting activities in the western region of the US.
- Senior Data Mining Algorithms/PhD Engineer at Guardian Analytics, Los Altos, CA - Jun 9, 2010.Guardian Analytics provides banks and credit unions with superior fraud detection, forensics and risk monitoring solutions based on our patented analytics and rich, predictive modeling of customer behavior.
Meetings (see also All Meetings)
- KDD-2010 highlights - Jun 22, 2010.The world's leading Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining conference (KDD), will convene in Washington DC, from July 25-28, 2010.
- UAI-2010, July 8-11, Catalina Island - Jun 21, 2010.registration is open; UAI Approx Inference Challenge deadline is July 1
- Statistical Aspects of Data Mining Stats 202 [Video] - Jun 22, 2010.David Meases presents his lectures from Stanford course on Statistical Aspects of Data Mining
- Yahoo's Social Media Science Experiments [VIDEO] - Jun 21, 2010.Watts describes Yahoo's social science experiments done over the last decade.
- Semantically annotated KDD'09 abstracts and data mining ontology - Jun 21, 2010.I annotated all KDD-09 abstracts with concepts linked to data mining ontology. This could be a good benchmark dataset for text mining tasks.
- CFP Semantic Web Challenge 2010 - Jun 21, 2010.includes the Open Track and the Billion Triples Track, which requires participants to make use of the data set that has been crawled from the public Semantic Web.
- Market Research "Internet Meme" Contest - Jun 20, 2010.Both a campaign and a competition, "Make Research Meme-ingful" celebrates creativity and innovation in market research by encouraging researchers to produce viral digital content highlighting key research industry issues
- SUBMIT to the VAST Challenge - Due June 29 - Jun 18, 2010.Did you play with the data but are NOT planning to submit? You SHOULD! Everything to gain, nothing to lose.
- Pervasive Software Enriches Pervasive DataRush with Scalable Analytics - Jun 22, 2010.Highly parallel platform leverages multicore systems to solve big data problems in data preparation and analytics
- Footbalistic, statistics and analytics for Football/Soccer - Jun 22, 2010.a startup aiming to build the definitive source of statistics and media for football (soccer) fans, raised $500K funding.
- How iTunes Genius Really Works - Jun 22, 2010.An Apple engineer tells how the recommendation engine parses millions of iTunes libraries.
- Attensity Group Appoints Manya Mayes as Director of Advanced Analytics - Jun 20, 2010.15-year veteran of SAS brings advanced analytics expertise to global semantic applications leader
- Facebook Rolls Out Insights Analytics Tools - Jun 20, 2010.Insights dashboard provides deeper analytics on user demographics, "Likes," shares and reshares
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- ACM SIGSPATIAL Int. Conf. on Advances in GIS, due Jun 24
- Biological Data Mining and Healthcare, due Jul 23
- WSDM2011: Web Search and Data Mining, due Aug 1
- Statistical Analysis and Data Mining of Networks, due Aug 1
- Workshop on GeoStreaming, due Aug 1
- Indoor Spatial Awareness, due Aug 1
- Data Mining Unexpected and Negative Results, due Sep 15
- NIPS 2010 Demonstrations, due Sep 20
QuoteAll truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.