- Gartner: Pattern-Based Strategy - Jun 30, 2011.
As information sources continue to grow, Gartner report outlines three topics for matching technology with business interest: volume, variety, and velocity.
- New Book: Machine Learning for Law Enforcement, Security, Intelligence - Jun 29, 2011.
a guide for doing forensic investigations using neural networks, text extraction, and rules to interrogate the evidence for fraud detection, Cybersecurity, and intelligence.
- KDnuggets 11:n16: Gathering dataz is speech; KDD-2011 Early Reg deadline Jun 30; Poll: Vacation time - Jun 29, 2011.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (5) | Webcasts (2) | Software (4) | Jobs (8) | Competitions (1) | NewsBriefs (4) | CFP (2)
- KDnuggets 11:n15, Data types; A2011; Hadoop killer? - Jun 22, 2011.
Latest news on analytics/data mining, including most popular data types; new SAS A2011 conference; and Lexis/Nexis alternative to Hadoop.
- FT: A football revolution - Jun 21, 2011.
FT excellent article on changes in football (soccer) brought by analytics. Football is becoming clever - data on players is starting to drive club decisions, particularly about which players to buy and sell.
- Going Green with Data Mining - Jun 19, 2011.
for problems like store site location, direct marketing, CRM and traveling salesmen, data mining can have a "green" impact.
- What do Data Miners Need to Learn? - Jun 16, 2011.
I've been asked by several folks recently what they need to learn to succeed in data mining and predictive analytics.
- Journalistic Data Mining - Jun 15, 2011.
a brilliant talk by Jonathan Stray of AP on investigating millions of documents by visualizing clusters and using other computational tools.
- Humanities Digging into Data Challenge - Jun 13, 2011.
8 digital-humanities research projects showed how creative scholars have gotten in combining big data and digital tools.
- INFORMS Analytics Magazine for May/June - Jun 9, 2011.
Featuring "The Secret to Better Credit Risk Management", "Risk in Revenue Management", "Five Best Practices in Behavioral Segmentation", "Sports Law Analytics" and more.
- KDnuggets 11:n14, Data miners are highly educated; Poll: Data types used? - Jun 8, 2011.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (8) | Courses, Events, Webcasts (4) | Software (3) | Jobs (5) | Academic (3) | Competitions (3) | Publications (7) | NewsBriefs (5) | CFP (10)
- Business Analytics Innovation Summit Report - Jun 6, 2011.
In contrast to its larger competition, BAIS was much smaller, with just a single track of presentations. I kind of liked that, not feeling the pressure of having to make choices from among equally attractive competing sessions.
- Business Intelligence Best Practices Benchmark Report - Jun 6, 2011.
takes a close look at the elements of a successful BI strategy, including the drivers and obstacles, the metrics for tracking and measuring success, and some of the best examples of rapid ROI from BI projects.
- INFORMS Analytics News (June) - Jun 4, 2011.
featuring Cloud computing, BI, analytics top CIO priorities; What's 'cool' according to Gartner; 'Big Data' a Big Deal; and 'Customer Insight' Class Focuses on Analytics
- Facebook Friendlist Mysteriously Changed - Jun 2, 2011.
FB is experimenting: every 3-4 pageviews, they will show up an alternate set of friends, hoping that it will create user activity, more pageviews, and at the end of the day, more advertising revenue.