How to interview a Data Scientist
LinkedIn Director of Data Science, David Tunkelang, shares his Strata talk on how to interview a data scientist. Rule 2: No gotchas - they reduce the signal to noise ratio.
The main takeaways:
1. Keep it real.
- Avoid whiteboard coding. Filter with FizzBuzz.
- Use real-world algorithms questions.
- Ask candidates to design your products.
2. No gotchas.
- Gotchas reduce the signal-to-noise ratio.
3. Maybe = no.
- Bad hires suck. Be conservative.
- Trust your team.