2015 Feb News, Features
All (104) | Courses, Education (13) | Meetings (7) | News, Features (19) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (30) | Publications (6) | Software (10) | Top Tweets (12) | Webcasts (7)
- IEEE ICDM 2015 Call for Data Mining Contest/Competition Proposals, due Mar 29 - Feb 28, 2015.
We invite proposals for the ICDM 2015 Data Mining Contest, which is an integral part of the IEEE ICDM conference and provides an opportunity for teams of scientists and domain experts to compete in order to develop data mining techniques for real-world applications.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Feb 15-21: The Elephant in the Room of ML Research - Feb 24, 2015.
Problems with deep learning papers, Coursera linear algebra courses, Reddit comment visualizations, deep learning lectures, and genetic algorithm introductions make up the top posts this week on /r/MachineLearning.
- Gartner 2015 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms: who gained and who lost - Feb 23, 2015.
SAS, IBM, KNIME, and RapidMiner lead in Gartner 2015 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms. We analyze who gained and who lost versus last year.
- Top stories for Feb 15-21: 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; History of Data Science in 5 strands - Feb 22, 2015.
My Brief Guide to Big Data and Predictive Analytics for non-experts; 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; History of Data Science Infographic in 5 strands; Automatic Statistician and the Profoundly Desired Automation for Data Science.
- January 2015 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Feb 17, 2015.
January acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Microsoft buys Revolution Analytics, Why dunnhumby is worth billions, GraphLab renames to Dato, raises $18M, MongoDB raised $80M, and more.
- TEDx RheinMain Datanauts Competition - Feb 17, 2015.
Send your project idea to TEDx RheinMain “Datanauts” Competition. It should fit to one of the following categories: mobility, environment, culture, common Good.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Feb 8-14: Automating Tinder, Statistics and Machine Learning - Feb 17, 2015.
Automating Tinder with Eigenfaces, statistics lessons in big data analysis, an upcoming AMA, the basics of PCA, and neural network programming in Python are all topics covered in the last week on Reddit.
- Top stories for Feb 8-14: 10 things statistics taught us about Big Data; Data Science Most Confused Jargon - Feb 15, 2015.
10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; Data Science's Most Used, Confused, and Abused Jargon; Top 30 people in Big Data and Analytics; Cartoon: Data Scientist 3 wishes for Valentine Day.
- Top /r/MachineLearning posts, January - Feb 13, 2015.
Talking Machines, SVM lectures, a new Stanford statistical learning online course, and a listing of open-source datasets top the most popular Reddit posts on /r/MachineLearning for the month of January.
- Cartoon: Data Scientist gets 3 wishes for Valentine’s Day - Feb 13, 2015.
New KDnuggets cartoon imagines what could happen if a Big Data genie would grant a romantic Data Scientist 3 wishes for a Valentine's Day.
- Top Analytics and Big Data Trends ahead of Strata Hadoop World San Jose - Feb 11, 2015.
Top 2015 Analytics and Big Data trends from our readers were Apache Spark, Deep Learning, Real-Time technology, Internet of Things (IoT).
- KDnuggets Annual Poll: Analytics/Data Science/Data Mining income/salary, role, and employment - Feb 11, 2015.
Please vote in KDnuggets annual poll on analytics / data science / data mining field income/salary vs analytic role and employment. We will analyze and publish the results.
- Top /r/MachineLearning posts, Feb 1-7: Music recognition, Text Understanding from scratch - Feb 9, 2015.
Shazam music recognition techniques, deep learning for text understanding, neuroscience history, Neural Turing Machines using Torch, and genetic algorithms are the top topics on Reddit last week.
- Top stories for Feb 1-7: Avoiding a Common Mistake with Time Series; Top Big Data Influencers and Brands - Feb 8, 2015.
Avoiding a Common Mistake with Time Series; (Deep Learning Deep Flaws) Deep Flaws; Top Big Data Influencers and Brands; Two Most Important Trends in Analytics and Big Data.
- Top stories in January: (Deep Learning Deep Flaws) Deep Flaws; Research Leaders on key trends, papers - Feb 6, 2015.
Research Leaders on Data Science and Big Data key trends, papers; (Deep Learning Deep Flaws) Deep Flaws; Analytics: Five Rules to Cut Through the Hype; 11 Clever Methods of Overfitting and how to avoid them.
- Top /r/MachineLearning posts, Jan 25-31 - Feb 6, 2015.
Downsides to jobs in machine learning fields, AI learning materials, novel topic modelling techniques and weekly simple question threads are all topics of discussion this week on Reddit /r/MachineLearning.
- Top Big Data Influencers and Brands - Feb 2, 2015.
Top Big Data influencers and brands on Twitter, selected by Onalytica based on the Pagerank analysis of Twitter graph.
- Top stories for Jan 25-31: (Deep Learning Deep Flaws) Deep Flaws; Text Analysis 101: Document Classification - Feb 1, 2015.
(Deep Learning Deep Flaws) Deep Flaws; Text Analysis 101: Document Classification; Interview: Anthony Bak, Ayasdi on Managing Data Complexity through Topology.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in January - Feb 1, 2015.
53 new meetings, Silicon Valley Data Science, BayeSniffer, Data Science education in Paris and Nice, bootcamps in NYC, fraud detection solutions and more.