2015 May News, Features
All (110) | Courses, Education (5) | Meetings (8) | News, Features (22) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (37) | Publications (8) | Software (6) | Top Tweets (4) | Tutorials, Overviews, How-Tos (9) | Webcasts (11)
- Top stories for May 24-30: R vs Python for Data Science; R leads RapidMiner, Python catches up, Spark ignites
- May 31, 2015.
R vs Python for Data Science: The Winner is ...; R leads RapidMiner, Python catches up, Big Data tools grow, Spark ignites; Top 10 Data Mining Algorithms, Explained; 150 Most Influential People in Big Data & Hadoop.
- CRN 2015 Big Data Infrastructure Companies
- May 28, 2015.
The CRN identifies top 25 big data infrastructure, tools and service companies offering everything from hardware servers, to software platforms and applications, to cloud-based services. The list includes major players in the big data space like Microsoft, Amazon, and IBM!
- 150 Most Influential People in Big Data & Hadoop
- May 27, 2015.
A list of 150 Most Influential People on Twitter in Big Data & Hadoop includes Merv Adrian @merv, Alistair Croll @acroll, Ben Lorica @bigdata, Paul Zikopoulos @BigData_paulz, Mathias Herberts @herberts, and Gregory Piatetsky @kdnuggets.
- CRN 2015 Emerging Big Data Vendors
- May 26, 2015.
The 2015 Computer Reseller News, CRN Big Data Emerging vendors list features 54 companies launched since 2009 for their innovative tools, technology and committment to help businesses manage the Big Data Challenge.
- R leads RapidMiner, Python catches up, Big Data tools grow, Spark ignites
- May 25, 2015.
R is the most popular overall tool among data miners, although Python usage is growing faster. RapidMiner continues to be most popular suite for data mining/data science. Hadoop/Big Data tools usage grew to 29%, propelled by 3x growth in Spark. Other tools with strong growth include H2O (0xdata), Actian, MLlib, and Alteryx.
- Top stories for May 17-23: 7 Methods for Data Dimensionality Reduction; Will the Real Data Scientists Please Stand Up?
- May 24, 2015.
Poll: What Predictive Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software/tools used? Seven Techniques for Data Dimensionality Reduction; Will the Real Data Scientists Please Stand Up?; R vs Python, why each is better.
- CRN 2015 Big Data Management Companies
- May 21, 2015.
Big Data and it's ease-of-use plays a key role in this year’s ‘CRN Big Data 100: Top 30 Data Management companies’. New additions include At Scale, Databricks, and Tamr. A majority of these companies develop open-source NoSQL database technology.
- Cartoon: How Smart Do You Look?
- May 18, 2015.
The follow-up to "How-Old" demo, New Deep Learning "How Smart You Are" IQ and Face Recognition Algorithm accidentally discovers the smartest being on the internet.
- Top stories for May 10-16: Poll: Analytics, Data Mining software used; 3 things about Data Science not in books
- May 17, 2015.
Predictive Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software used?; 3 Things About Data Science You Won't Find In Books; Most Viewed Big Data Videos on YouTube; Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs Google vs BigML vs PredicSis.
- Last chance – Participate in the Rexer Analytics 2015 Data Miner Survey – before it closes May 30
- May 13, 2015.
Data Analysts, Predictive Modelers, Data Scientists, Data Miners, and all other types of analytic professionals, students, and academics - please participate in the Rexer Analytics 2015 Data Miner Survey before it closes May 30.
- CRN Big Data Business Analytics Companies
- May 12, 2015.
Data, Analytics, and Intelligence play a key role in CRN Big Data 100 in 2015. New additions include predictive analytics firms Knime, Logi Analytics, Looker, Luminoso, Predixion, RapidMiner, and Salesforce.
- Top stories for May 3-9: Data Scientists Automated by 2025? The Inconvenient Truth About Data Science
- May 10, 2015.
Data Scientists Automated and Unemployed by 2025? The Inconvenient Truth About Data Science; Most Viewed Big Data Videos on YouTube; Poll: Predictive Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software/tools used?
- Cartoon: Data Scientist Mother
- May 10, 2015.
We revisit KDnuggets Cartoon which looks at the Mother of All Data. Enjoy and don't forget the mothers in your life - Big Data predicted that 67.53% of you would remember!
- April 2015 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity
- May 8, 2015.
Apr 2015 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Microsoft + RevolutionR, Most-Funded Startups, VC says boom not bubble - look at valuations, and more.
- Top April stories: Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub; Forrester Wave Big Data Predictive Analytics – Gainers and Losers
- May 8, 2015.
Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub; Forrester Wave Big Data Predictive Analytics - Gainers and Losers; Cloud Machine Learning Wars; Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science.
- Poll: What Predictive Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software/tools you used in the past 12 months?
- May 7, 2015.
Vote in KDnuggets 16th Annual Poll: What Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software/tools you used in the past 12 months for a real project?. We will clean and analyze the results and publish our trend analysis afterwards.
- KDD 2015 Innovation and Service Awards, nominations due June 5
- May 6, 2015.
ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards recognize outstanding technical innovations and outstanding professional contributions to the field of Big data, Data Mining, Knowledge Discovery, and Predictive Analytics.
- Data Scientists Automated and Unemployed by 2025?
- May 5, 2015.
Will Data Scientists be unemployed by 2025? Majority of voters in latest KDnuggets Poll expect expert-level Data Science to be automated in 10 years or less.
- Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science – Discussions up, Engagement down
- May 4, 2015.
While discussions are growing, the comments and engagements are falling, especially since 2012. We cluster groups into 4 quadrants by activity level and identify most active and engaged groups. Open groups are twice as active as closed.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in April
- May 3, 2015.
20+ new meetings, including Smartcon (Istabul), Collab. Data Science, Boston Data Festival, SIGMOD 2016, ICDM 2016; Awesome public datasets; DecisionIQ, VisualText and more.
- Top stories for Apr 26 – May 2: The Myth of Model Interpretability; How To Become a Data Scientist and Get Hired
- May 3, 2015.
The Myth of Model Interpretability; How To Become a Data Scientist And Get Hired; Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining; Emmanuel Letouze, Data-Pop Alliance on Big Data for Development and Future Prospects.
- DrivenData Competition: Keeping Boston Fresh
- May 1, 2015.
DrivenData civic innovation competition, "Keeping it Fresh," aims to help cities capitalize on their data. The task is to predict Boston restaurant violations from social media.