2015 Oct Opinions, Interviews, Reports
All (105) | Courses, Education (17) | Meetings (8) | News, Features (19) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (30) | Publications (7) | Software (2) | Top Tweets (4) | Tutorials, Overviews, How-Tos (11) | Webcasts (7)
- The Human Element of Data Science - Oct 29, 2015.
About 100 data scientists gathered for the first ever WrangleConf (hosted by Cloudera) to explore the topic of the importance of humans throughout the data science process.
- We need a statistically rigorous and scientifically meaningful definition of replication - Oct 29, 2015.
Replication and confirmation are indispensable concepts that help define scientific facts. It seems that before continuing the debate over replication, we need a statistically meaningful definition of replication.
- An Inside View of Language Technologies at Google - Oct 29, 2015.
Learn about language technologies at Google, including projects, technologies, and philosophy, from an interview with a Googler.
- Deep Learning Finds What Makes a Good #selfie - Oct 28, 2015.
Ever wonder how a convolutional neural network would rate your selfies? Well, wonder no more!
- You’ve Read the Book, Now Listen to the Podcast - Oct 26, 2015.
Podcasts are a great way to enhance your education without sacrificing precious time. Here are six of the best data-science-oriented podcasts to listen to if you’re a fan of popular data science books.
- OpenText Data Digest Oct 23: World Statistics Day - Oct 26, 2015.
This week we look at 3 top entries in the UN competition based around eight Millennium Development Goals to see how well they stack up against the data visualizations you are working on.
- Data Science Programming: Python vs R - Oct 22, 2015.
With every industry generating massive amounts of data – the need to crunch data requires more powerful and sophisticated programming tools like Python and R language.
- OpenText Data Digest, Oct 16: Millennial Parenting - Oct 21, 2015.
Time Magazine’s latest cover story on the trends in Millennial parenting is chocked full of data about the way the younger generation—those born after 1985—approaches their childrearing duties. We’re offering some perspective on the issue.
- MetaMind Mastermind Richard Socher: Uncut Interview - Oct 20, 2015.
In a wide-ranging interview, Richard Socher opens up about MetaMind, deep learning, the nature of corporate research, and the future of machine learning.
- Lets talk about Ethics in Analytics / Data Science - Oct 20, 2015.
Is it time that data scientists go through formal ethics training? The saying “Lies, damned lies, and statistics” suggests that statistics (and Data Science) can be tweaked to prove any point and ethics training will help to improve the integrity and credibility of analytics profession.
- Trick-or-Treat a Data Scientist - Oct 20, 2015.
How would one infuse Data Science skills in children to optimize candy collection on Halloween? Zeeshan-ul-hassan Usmani (Founder & Chief Data Scientist, PredictifyMe) explains.
- Which Movie Sequels Are Really Better? A Data Science Answer - Oct 19, 2015.
The internet is filled with polls and lists of sequels that are better or worse movie in the series. Yet such rankings are often based on personal judgement and rarely on data and statistics. Here is our solution to analyze and visualize the movie series.
- Rich Data Summit Takeaways - Oct 19, 2015.
Data scientists get excited about algorithms. But nearly all time spent working with data involves acquiring, pipelining, annotating and cleaning it. At the Rich Data Summit in SF, data's dirty work took center stage.
- Big Data + Wrong Method = Big Fail - Oct 19, 2015.
Big data is hyped as a gold mine, but Big Data applications are risky. Understand how to start with a minimum viable application and iterate to minimize the risk of failure.
- AnalyticsVidhya Interview with Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, President KDnuggets - Oct 17, 2015.
AnalyticsVidhya wide-ranging interview with Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro - origins of KDnuggets, founding of KDD, Learning Data Science, R vs Python, the risks and benefits of AI, Analytics in India, and more.
- How Big Data Helps Build Smart Cities - Oct 16, 2015.
Smart cities face serious challenges prior to widespread acceptance, but their integrated use of Big Data, IoT, and other technologies to solve contemporary urban issues should eventually lead to their adoption.
- The Best Advice From Quora on ‘How to Learn Machine Learning’ - Oct 15, 2015.
Top machine learning writers on Quora give their advice on learning machine learning, including specific resources, quotes, and personal insights, along with some extra nuggets of information.
- OpenText Data Digest, Oct 9: Baseball Playoffs - Oct 12, 2015.
We love our data the way we love our baseball—lots of visuals and power hitters that crush it over the wall for the walk-off win. Check out which visualizations made to top three bases for this week’s OpenText data visualization.
- Five Principles for Applying Data Science for Social Good - Oct 10, 2015.
Well-meaning data scientists often fail to reach their full potential when working for social good. The following 5 principles can help improve this situation.
- Big Data Analytics for Lenders and Creditors - Oct 9, 2015.
Credit scoring means applying a statistical model to assign a risk score to a credit application or to an existing credit account. Here we are suggesting how data science and big data can help making the better sense of different risk factors and accurate predictions.
- Does Deep Learning Come from the Devil? - Oct 9, 2015.
Deep learning has revolutionized computer vision and natural language processing. Yet the mathematics explaining its success remains elusive. At the Yandex conference on machine learning prospects and applications, Vladimir Vapnik offered a critical perspective.
- Where Should I Work In Big Data? - Oct 9, 2015.
Unravelling the mystery of where to work as a data scientist, whether to venture into start-up or join a safe course of established vendors has been haunting many aspirants. Find out yourself by answer these five questions!
- KDnuggets Milestone: 200,000 unique visitors - Oct 8, 2015.
KDnuggets passes an important milestone - 200,000 unique visitors. How did we do it?
- Data Science Education: Where It Needs To Begin - Oct 8, 2015.
Most data science education centers on graduate degrees, with only 14 US undergraduate analytics degrees in 2014. With the vast amounts of data being generated, should there be more data science education at the undergraduate level?
- How big data can help in home health care? - Oct 7, 2015.
Proper home care services can reduce both the chances and the cost of hospitalization and manage illness. Understand what big data promises for the healthcare sector and what are practical hurdles standing between the current solutions.
- OpenText Data Digest Oct 2: Traffic and Public Transit - Oct 6, 2015.
Despite constant congestion, data scientists are always coming up with ways to analyze traffic patterns to ensure you get to your desk by 9 a.m. Whether your transportation is trains or cars, we’ve got you covered, this week.
- Don’t Let Data Silos and Dark Data Clog Your Data Supply Chain - Oct 3, 2015.
With the rise of the big data, it has been cheaper and easier to accumulate the huge amount of data. But make sure you are getting value out of this data, otherwise it could create a bottleneck and get redundant for the business.
- OpenText Data Digest Sep 25: US Maps - Oct 2, 2015.
This week’s Data Driven Digest focuses on three maps of the United States that are distinct more because of the behaviors of the people that live in them than the actual lines that separate them.
- Data science job market – what it’s like - Oct 2, 2015.
Data scientist interviews can be complex and there is no definite recipe for the success. Understand the complications and processes of an interview and what you should be careful about before accepting the offer.
- Crushed it! Landing a data science job - Oct 1, 2015.
Data scientist interviews depend on the company and the team, it might look like a software developer’s interview, or statistician’s interview. Here we collected some hot tips to pass along if you’re thinking about a move soon.