- Zanran - A Search Engine for Graphs - May 28, 2011.
Zanran crawls the web and indexes both graphical presentations of data (time series, pie charts, bar graphs, etc) and tabular data. It understands many formats, including PDF and Excel.
- Google Launches Tool to Make Mining Search Data Easy - May 26, 2011.
Google Correlate allows users to enter a data series and get back queries that follow a similar pattern. It is based on the technology Google used to create Google Flu Trends.
- Poll Results: analytics/data mining tools used for a real project - May 23, 2011.
The poll had a record participation (over 1,100 voters). 43% of them used only commercial software, 32% only free software, and 25% both. RapidMiner, R, and Excel were again the most popular tools, with SAS remaining the top commercial tool.
- Last chance to participate: 5th Annual Data Miner Survey - May 23, 2011.
Rexer Analytics is conducting our 5th annual survey of the analytic behaviors, views and preferences of data mining professionals. Last chance to participate!
- ReactiveSearch presents: A day in the (hard) life of Thomas - May 21, 2011.
Here is a funny video - a day in the life of data analyst - from makers of Grapheur Data Mining and Interactive Visualization tool.
- First Look - Yottamine - May 19, 2011.
Yottamine Predictive Platform is going to be attractive to modelers who know how to create the right analytic data set to feed into a model and who want to use scalable cloud resources to build their final model.
- On CART and Cross-Validation, Data Mining - May 18, 2011.
Historic video: Richard Carson interviews CART founding fathers Leo Breiman, Jerome Friedman, Richard Olshen and Charles Stone on CART and Cross-Validation
- Wikipedia User Contribution Dataset - May 13, 2011.
prepared for an ongoing study on user reputation and content quality in Wikipedia at U. California, Irvine.
- Data Mining Poll Data Over the Years - May 12, 2011.
Anne Milley investigates the KDnuggets Data Mining Tools Polls over the past 10 years. See what she finds and what happens to the ratio of commercial, open-source and own code.
- Please Participate in the 5th Annual Data Miner Survey - May 10, 2011.
Rexer Analytics is conducting our 5th annual survey of the analytic behaviors, views and preferences of data mining professionals. All analytic professionals are invited to participate.
- New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining Tools Used - May 10, 2011.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: Which data mining/analytic tools you used in the past 12 months for a real project?
- Dhiti - a Text Mining API - May 9, 2011.
Dhiti is a Bangalore based start up that provides Text Mining APIs on the cloud, which can work on a document collection and mine out topics and concepts in realtime.
- Microsoft BI Labs and SQL Server Data Mining for the Cloud - May 6, 2011.
Microsoft has recently launched BI Labs, a collection of experimental business intelligence projects and useful applications, including SQL Server Data Mining for the Cloud.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant 2010 for Business Intelligence Platforms - May 5, 2011.
In 2010, business users had greater influence over BI buying, often choosing data discovery vendors as an alternative to traditional BI tools. But megavendors continued to hold the majority of BI market share, despite ongoing customer dissatisfaction, by selling the stack into their installed base.