Features (8) |
Courses, Events, Webcasts (4) |
Software (3) |
Jobs (5) |
Academic (3) |
Competitions (3) |
Publications (7) |
NewsBriefs (5) |
CFP (10) |
- New Poll: Data types analyzed/mined in the past 12 months - Jun 7, 2011.
Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com - What data types you analyzed/mined in the past 12 months ?
- Poll Results: Education Level - Jun 7, 2011.
KDnuggets readers are quite well educated, with 32% having Ph.D. and 86% having at least MS or another graduate degree.
- Jun 16 FICO Webinar: Greater Profits with Analytics and Optimization - Jun 6, 2011.
Oliver Bastert and Horia Tipi will share their knowledge on how mathematical optimization can help you navigate complex decision choices to arrive at the truly optimal result.
- Predictive Analytics World, Text Analytics World, Oct 17-21 in New York City - Jun 7, 2011.
Super Early Bird reg. until Jun 15! Three PAW Conference Agendas - plus Text Analytics World
- Most viewed items for May 29 - Jun 4 - Jun 6, 2011.
Poll Results: analytics/data mining tools used for a real project; The Netflix Prize, Big Data, SVD and R;
Top jobs: Principal Program Analyst at CQuotient; Software / Systems Engineer, Data Mining/Machine Learning at CCRi.
- Most viewed news, jobs in May - Jun 1, 2011.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining Tools Used; Poll Results: analytics/data mining tools used for a real project;
Top jobs: Sr. QMS Data Analyst at Sonos; Senior Data Mining, Statistical Analysis Role at JPMorgan Chase.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in May - Jun 1, 2011.
New Companies, Datasets, Education, Meetings, Software, Solutions, Blogs
- Most viewed items for May 22-28 - May 29, 2011.
Poll Results: analytics/data mining tools used for a real project; IBM launches Hadoop-based analytics software, big data services;
Top jobs: Scientist - Predictive Analytics at ISO Innovative Analytics; Statistical Modeler at The Nielsen Company
Courses, Events, Webcasts (see also All Courses)
- Madrid Summer School on Advanced Statistics and Data Mining, July 4-15 - May 26, 2011.
The program included 17 courses over 2 weeks, including Statistics and machine learning with R, Bayesian networks, Neural networks, Features Subset Selection, Hot topics in intelligent data analysis, and more.
- Jun 22 Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch - Jun 7, 2011.
Attend this free webinar to learn how to get started with data mining and overcome both strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential.
- Jun 29 Webinar: Trace your Steps through Analytics - Jun 3, 2011.
we show you how to conduct a complete analytic process and trace your steps along the way, so that you can validate your data and visualize the results prior to sharing.
- PAKDD 2011 Conference Awards - Jun 2, 2011.
PAKDD 2011 (held in China, May 2011) presented awards for the Best Research Paper, Best Application Paper, Most influential paper, and Distinguished Contribution.
- Analytical engine development, Information integration (EII/ETL), knowledge management and collaboration at Cross Commerce Media (CCM), New York, NY - Jun 7, 2011.
Our proprietary, patent-pending analytics platform unifies a company's multiple data sources in real time, delivering a collective view of both offline and online metrics.
- VP, Product Management - Website Audience Measurement at Nielsen Online, New York, NY or San Francisco, CA - Jun 3, 2011.
Nielsen Online provides independent measurement and analysis of online audiences. Looking for a strong Product Leader to manage the strategy, development and commercialization of multiple global audience measurement products including Netviews, AdRelevance and @Plan.
- Principal Program Analyst at CQuotient, Cambridge, MA - Jun 2, 2011.
CQuotient is an analytics startup building a radically superior cloud-based customer-prediction-and-optimization platform for retail.
- Software / Systems Engineer, Data Mining/Machine Learning at CCRi, Charlottesville, VA - Jun 1, 2011.
We do exciting work that combines top-notch software application development with innovative applications of data mining and machine learning algorithms. US citizenship required.
- Statistical Modeler - 1101079 at The Nielsen Company, New York, NY - May 26, 2011.
responsible for creating predictive statistical models using industry and survey data to help create tools/reports for company staff.
- RA for sports/football analytics at ISB Hyderabad and INSEAD Singapore, Hyderabad, India or Singapore - Jun 6, 2011.
assist Prof. Rudi in research projects on sports/football, using applied probability, economics and statistics.
- Postdoc in Computational Chemogenomics at U. of Caen and KU Leuven, Caen, France and Heverlee, Belgium - May 31, 2011.
A 14-month post-doctoral position is open for studying computational methods for chemogenomics.
- 2 Postdocs in ML, data mining for clinical risk modeling at U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI - May 31, 2011.
conduct original research to model long-term physiological time-series and identify temporal characteristics associated with future risk, and to design statistical approaches that integrate multi-dimensional data to explore the mechanisms underlying disease processes.
- Heritage Health Prize final data - Jun 6, 2011.
The competition is very close, with 100th submission only 4% worse than the leader. The final data released on June 4 is 53MB (zipped) and includes Members, Claims, Labs, RX, DaysInHospital tables and the target.
- Hearst, DMA launch second analytics challenge - Jun 4, 2011.
The goal is is to predict whether a consumer will open or click through an email promotion. Top prize is $25K.
- Predicting Wine Quality Contest - May 25, 2011.
The two datasets are related to red and white variants of the Portuguese "Vinho Verde" wine. Only physicochemical (inputs) and sensory (the output) variables are available, and the goal is to predict wine quality.
- Brand new KNIME Press announces first eBook - May 21, 2011.
helps new KNIME user to learn through concise, hands-on examples and exercises how to produce practical results quickly.
- Business Analytics Innovation Summit Report - Jun 6, 2011.
In contrast to its larger competition, BAIS was much smaller, with just a single track of presentations. I kind of liked that, not feeling the pressure of having to make choices from among equally attractive competing sessions.
- Business Intelligence Best Practices Benchmark Report - Jun 6, 2011.
takes a close look at the elements of a successful BI strategy, including the drivers and obstacles, the metrics for tracking and measuring success, and some of the best examples of rapid ROI from BI projects.
- INFORMS Analytics News (June) - Jun 4, 2011.
featuring Cloud computing, BI, analytics top CIO priorities; What's 'cool' according to Gartner; 'Big Data' a Big Deal; and 'Customer Insight' Class Focuses on Analytics
- Facebook Friendlist Mysteriously Changed - Jun 2, 2011.
FB is experimenting: every 3-4 pageviews, they will show up an alternate set of friends, hoping that it will create user activity, more pageviews, and at the end of the day, more advertising revenue.
- Measuring the scalability of SQL and NoSQL systems - May 31, 2011.
interview with designers of the Yahoo! YCSB benchmark which measured four different systems: Cassandra, HBase, PNUTS (Yahoo! cloud system) and and implementation of a sharded MySQL.
- SAS keeps its high-performance edge amidst converging architectures - May 26, 2011.
host Eric Kavanagh (of newly launched Inside Analysis) talks with SAS CTO about what's happening in the industry, where it's all heading, and what's new at SAS
- Data Hero Awards - Jun 3, 2011.
The EMC data hero awards honor data practitioners that have made a profound impact on individuals, organizations and the world. The winners include:
- GE, Thomson Reuters Healthcare Analytics - May 30, 2011.
Pharmaceutical firms and other healthcare organizations will now be able to conduct evidence-based research on data that enables them to better quantify the effectiveness of medical treatments on discrete patient populations.
- Cheezburger hires a data scientist - May 28, 2011.
Cheezburger Network hired Sean Power as the company's first data scientist for its Fail Blog, I Can Has Cheezburger and other comedy web sites.
- Wharton Customer Analytics Initiative Announces Grant Recipients - May 27, 2011.
10 grants were awarded to empirically-oriented research proposals that will offer substantive insights about mobile customer behavior while also advancing marketing science and practice.
- Chomp App search data for April - May 26, 2011.
Highlights from April Search Analytics from Chomp, the search engine for finding and recommending mobile apps.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- MCP 2011: AI*IA Workshop on Mining Complex Patterns, due Jun 13
- ICDM '11: IEEE ICDM 2011, due Jun 17
- MIND 2011: Mining Complex Entities from Network and Biomedical Data, due Jun 20
- BioVis 2011: IEEE Symposium on Biological Data Visualization , due Jul 8
- NGDM'11: Next Generation Data Mining Summit, due Jul 15
- DMCS 2011: Data Mining Case Studies and Data Mining Practice Prize, due Jul 23
- COMMPER 2011: First ICDM Workshop on Community Mining and People Recommenders, due Jul 23
- CARS-2011: 3rd Workshop On Context-Aware Recommender Systems, due Jul 25
- LEMIR 2011: LEarning and data Mining for Robotics, due Aug 5
- BioVis Contest 2011: IEEE Symposium on Biological Data Visualization Contest, due Sep 1
Good news for data miners: US will need 140,000 to 190,000 more people with "deep analytical" skills, typically experts in statistical methods and data-analysis technologies
according to McKinsey Study