- Knewton Is Building The World's Smartest Tutor - Feb 27, 2012.
Knewton is building what could become the world's most valuable repository of the ways people learn. "Education is the world's largest data industry", says Knewton's founder.
- Big Data Market $50 Billion by 2017 - Feb 23, 2012.
Great report from Wikibon examines the big data market in detail, and projects it to grow 10-fold to $50B worldwide by 2017. HP Vertica is currently the market leader, followed Aster Data, Splunk, and Greenplum.
- SAS Prepares Hadoop-Powered In-Memory BI Platform - Feb 20, 2012.
the package will combine the scalability of the Hadoop DFS and the in-memory processing speed of a RAM-intensive server environment, and will offer rapid analytic insight to answer ad-hoc questions.
- Collective[i] Socialized Business Intelligence Network for Marketing - Feb 18, 2012.
Collective[i] hosts the industry's first "knowledge network," automating the work associated with analyzing Big Data and socializing knowledge and discussion throughout an enterprise.
- Big Data for Higher Education - Feb 12, 2012.
New students are more likely to drop out of online colleges if they take full courseloads than if they enroll part time, according to findings from a research project that analyzed data on 640,000 students. The data can enable the colleges to become Match.com for Higher Ed.
- Customer Analytics: A New Lifeline for the Red Cross and Other Nonprofits? - Feb 11, 2012.
Red Cross and Wharton Customer Analytics Initiative (WCAI) are working with 6 teams of researchers, including IBM Watson, who will analyze data and help Red Cross find its best potential donors.
- Birst Lowers Hadoop Adoption Barrier - Feb 10, 2012.
Birst has lowered the Hadoop adoption barrier by letting users treat Big Data like an ordinary data set and ask it a broad set of questions. A company now only needs a half-a-developer to do the work, not a handful.
- Microsoft researchers say anonymized data isn't so anonymous - Feb 9, 2012.
Web log data such as can identify individual machines. HTTP user-agent information alone can identify the host 62% of the time, and with the IP address accuracy jumps to 81%.
- Stylitics Is an Analytics Dashboard for Your Closet - Feb 6, 2012.
Stylitics, launched in private beta in November 2011, is an analytics dashboard that does for your closet what Mint.com does for your finances. See how you can get invites.
- 5 low-profile startups that could change the face of big data - Feb 2, 2012.
These five startups, either in stealth mode or just out of it, that could help take Hadoop and its ilk to the promised land of easy creation of Big Data apps.