- Opt-Out Provision Would Halt Some, but Not All, Web Tracking - Feb 29, 2012.
The ad & technology industries would support a "Do Not Track" mechanism in browsers that would allow consumers to opt out of having some companies, but not all, keep data on their online activities.
- Nuts and Bolts of Data Mining: Classifiers & ROC Curves - Feb 28, 2012.
Measuring the performance of classifiers: hits, misses, false alarms, and the ROC curve that pulls them all together.
- KDnuggets 12:n05, Was Target Wrong? Analytics Salary by Region; Day in the Life of Big Data - Feb 27, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Analytics/Data Mining Salary by Region, and more, including a Poll on whether Target was wrong in using Analytics to find pregnant women.
- Stephen Colbert on Target and Predictive Analytics - Feb 24, 2012.
The Colbert Report looks at Target and how their predictive analytics can identify woman's pregnancy just from the changes in her buying habits. Are those analytics too much?
- The Risks of Using Spreadsheets for Statistical Analysis - Feb 23, 2012.
Are spreadsheets more hindrance than help in data analysis? Download a free white paper to learn more, including Why over 90% of spreadsheets have errors, the types of spreadsheet errors, their causes and implications, and what is an alternative.
- Big Data Market $50 Billion by 2017 - Feb 23, 2012.
Great report from Wikibon examines the big data market in detail, and projects it to grow 10-fold to $50B worldwide by 2017. HP Vertica is currently the market leader, followed Aster Data, Splunk, and Greenplum.
- SchoonerSQL: A super-set of MySQL for Big Data - Feb 21, 2012.
Legacy MySQL does not scale well on a single node, which forces granular sharding and results in low utilization of servers. SchoonerSQL made fundamental and extensive improvements to MySQL to exploit multi-core servers, flash memory, and high-performance networking.
- How Companies Learn Your Secrets - Feb 19, 2012.
NYtimes examines how companies can predict customer behavior (like how Target finds women are pregnant from changes in their shopping behavior), and also at the psychology of habit forming and how companies use it to influence consumers.
- Misfortune Teller - Feb 16, 2012.
A statistics professor says he can predict crime before it occurs. The crime for which an offender was sentenced does is not a good predictor future crime, but there are much better predictors.
- KDnuggets 12:n04, KDnuggets at 15; Magic Quadrant for BI - Feb 15, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (3) | Courses, Events (3) | Webcasts (3) | Software (4) | Jobs (5) | Academic (2) | Meetings (2) | Publications (1) | NewsBriefs (4) | CFP (11)
- Mobile Analytics by Jesus Mena, Kindle edition - Feb 14, 2012.
This book is about the modeling of mobile behaviors in millions of peoples pockets or purses - incredibly powerful diaries of personal life.
- KDnuggets 12:n03, Top Influencers in Big Data, Data Mining; Annual Analytics Salary Poll - Feb 8, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (10) | Courses, Events (5) | Software (4) | Jobs (15) | Academic (2) | Competitions (3) | Meetings (1) | Publications (4) | NewsBriefs (6) | CFP (13)
- On Big Data Analytics: Interview with Florian Waas, EMC/Greenplum. - Feb 7, 2012.
With terabytes, things are actually pretty simple - most conventional databases scale to terabytes these days. However, scaling to petabytes is a whole different ball game.
- Analytics Magazine: Focus on Healthcare - Feb 3, 2012.
The current issue of INFORMS Analytics Magazine (Jan/Feb) focuses on healthcare analytics. Why embrace of analytics is crucial to the paradigm shift from "volume" to "value" and more.
- Social Media Analytics Expert Interviews, part 2 - Feb 1, 2012.
covers important social media analytics topics afrom POV of service providers, insights into their customers, what they currently know, and what they still need to learn about social media.