- MetaMarkets crunches your big numbers, raises $15M - Apr 30, 2012.
MetaMarkets originally analyzed prices for online ads, but expanded to offer its analytics as data science-as-a-service.
- Sports by the Numbers: Predicting Winners and Losers - Apr 30, 2012.
Wharton statistics professor looks at correlation between the team salary and results in baseball, football, hockey, soccer, and basketball and find only one sport with a strong correlation. He also finds where defense is a more productive investment than offense.
- NYU Stern Announces New Masters in Business Analytics - Apr 27, 2012.
New degree will be offered in Shanghai and at NYU Washington Square campus beginning in May 2013.
- IBM Advances Big Data Analytics with Acquisition of Vivisimo - Apr 25, 2012.
Vivisimo is the leading independent provider of enterprise search solutions, across structured and unstructured data. Vivisimo started as a search engine with automatic clustering of topics.
- Fujitsu Big Data software suite - Apr 25, 2012.
New software includes Interstage Big Data Parallel Processing Server, which builds upon Apache Hadoop, but is claimed to be five times faster.
- Teradata and SAS partner on analytics appliance - Apr 25, 2012.
The appliance includes SAS data exploration, modeling and scoring tools combined with a specifically configured hardware and database software from Teradata.
- Big-data investors look for the next Splunk - Apr 24, 2012.
Other potential big-data IPOs include Tableau, Cloudera, Couchbase, and Hortonworks.
- SAS Global Forum 2012 and SAS News - Apr 23, 2012.
SAS LASR(tm) Analytic Server speeds big data decision making; Fraud detection and fraud investigation with SAS tools; Teradata partnership and more news from SAS GF12.
- Splunk has a Big-Data IPO - Apr 21, 2012.
Splunk, which specializes in turning machine-generated big data into real-time insights had a spectacular IPO, rising 109% on the first day of trading, despite not making any profits so far.
- Pitney Bowes Portrait Explorer - Apr 17, 2012.
Portrait Explorer brings powerful data analytics to business users, with innovative interface designed to look, feel and behave like apps marketers use in their personal life.
- PAKDD 2012 Distinguished Contribution and Influential Paper Awards - Apr 13, 2012.
The Distinguished Contribution Award goes to Prof. Huan Liu of ASU. The Most Influential Paper went to a paper on enhancing effectiveness of outlier detections. The awards will be presented at PAKDD 2012, Kuala Lumpur, 29 May - 1 June.
- TIBCO ActiveSpaces to Analyze Big Data in Motion - Apr 12, 2012.
ActiveSpaces is a distributed peer-to-peer memory data grid. Its "shared nothing" approach helps overcome database and storage bottlenecks, and to harness digital, social and event streams.
- InsightsOne: another big data startup from Yahoo - Apr 2, 2012.
InsightsOne was founded by the team that built Yahoo!'s consumer data and analytics platform. The mission is to provide cloud-based predictive analytic services to any company.