2014 Jan News, Software
All (84) | Courses, Events (27) | News, Software (25) | Opinions, Interviews (2) | Publications (14) | Top Tweets (13) | Webcasts (3)
- Statwing, Modern Data Analysis Software - Jan 30, 2014.
Every decision maker in the organization needs to be capable of analyzing data, but most tools require a lot of mundane and time-consuming data cleaning. Statwing solves that problem and lets you focus on data analysis.
- Data Mining for Beginners Boot Camp, Salford video series - Jan 29, 2014.
This series shows how to easily apply SPM software suite to your predictive modeling projects, using a modern banking application as an example. This series is at the beginner level, and is perfect for first-time users or for those who need a refresher course in model building and data analysis.
- Top Trends in Analytics and Big Data ahead of Strata 2014 Santa Clara - Jan 28, 2014.
Our survey ahead of Strata 2014 Conference revealed the top 3 trends in Analytics and Big Data for 2014: Analytics for the masses, Apache Spark, and Real Time Analytics. Read the interesting comments and details and get a KDnuggets discount for Strata.
- SAS surpasses $3 billion in 2013 revenue - Jan 27, 2014.
The growth reflects strong sales of SAS Visual Analytics, anti-fraud solutions (44%), cloud computing (20%), data management and certain industry-specific applications (16-18%). For every one of its 38 years, SAS has grown revenue and shown a profit.
- Top stories for Jan 19-25: Learning from Data free online course; MassBigData; Split on Data Science Skills - Jan 27, 2014.
Tutorial: Data Science in Python; Learning from Data: Caltech free online course; MassBigData to boost Massachusetts Big Data, Analytics Ecosystem; Split on Data Science Skills: Individual vs Team approach.
- Linkurious: Explore and Visualize Graph Data - Jan 22, 2014.
Linkurious is designed to handle big data and be easy to use; it is focused on local exploration - search any information within a graph and start exploring the connections from this point.
- Clustify 4.0 adds Real-Time Predictive Coding - Jan 22, 2014.
Clustify updates the predicted relevance scores for the entire document population each time a document is categorized, showing the impact on the progress pie and the precision-recall curve instantly.
- Split on Data Science Skills: Individual vs Team Approach - Jan 21, 2014.
The results of latest KDnuggets poll show an almost equal split between those who favor individual and those who favor the team approach. See the counterintuitive regional differences and interesting comments.
- MassBigData launched to boost Massachusetts Big Data, Analytics Ecosystem - Jan 20, 2014.
MassBigData has a wealth of information, including publicly available Mass data sets, local #BigData events, regional jobs (over 2300 currently), a map of MassBigData companies, resources, and much more.
- Top stories for Jan 12-18: Tutorial: Data Science in Python; Data Science Venn Diagram v2.0 - Jan 19, 2014.
Tutorial: Data Science in Python; Data Science Venn Diagram v2.0; Interpreting Model Performance with Cost Functions.
- 3X: A workbench for computational experiments - Jan 17, 2014.
3X is an open-source software tool to ease the burden of conducting computational experiments and managing data analytics, providing a standard yet configurable structure to execute a wide variety of experiments in a systematic way.
- Data Science for Social Good, Chicago Jun-Aug 2014, Apply by Feb 1 - Jan 17, 2014.
Data Science for Social Good 2014 Summer Fellowship at the U. of Chicago is looking for students, mentors, and project partners. Fellows apply by Feb 1.
- SciCast: a Crowdsourced Forecasting Platform for Science and Technology - Jan 15, 2014.
Join tech people from around the world in the largest collaborative science and technology forecasting effort, ever, to make real-time predictions on future innovations and significant events in science and technology.
- PAN Competition: Plagiarism Detection, Author Identification, Author Profiling - Jan 15, 2014.
Take part in one of 3 tasks: Plagiarism Detection - given a document, is it an original? Author Identification - given a document, who wrote it? Author Profiling - given a document, what is author age / gender?
- Free Tutorial: Data Science in Python - Jan 14, 2014.
This Data Science in Python tutorial covers importing data, scikit-learn basics, aggregation and grouping, feature engineering, model evaluation, and deployment.
- Top stories for Jan 5-11: MADlib: Big Data Machine Learning in SQL; Rock Stars of Big Data - Jan 12, 2014.
MADlib: Big Data Machine Learning in SQL for Data Scientists; IEEE Rock Stars of Big Data Presentations; Hadoop Elephants in the Cloud.
- Zementis: Teradata and IBM Partnership, Hadoop/ML best practices, James Taylor on standards - Jan 11, 2014.
Zementis Universal PMML Plug-in (UPPI), which enables the execution of standards-based predictive analytics, now works for Teradata and IBM PureData systems. Also learn about Best practices for Hadoop and Machine Learning and read James Taylor on analytics standards.
- Sand Hill 50 Swift and Strong in Big Data - Jan 8, 2014.
Here is a list of 50 leaders in Big Data, based on their story, ecosystem, insight, and influence, from Actian to Wibidata.
- December Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Companies and Startups Activity - Jan 7, 2014.
December 2013 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Answers.com, Talend, Palantir, KPMG, Datameer, Dell
- New Poll: Data Science Skills – Individual vs Team Approach - Jan 7, 2014.
Data Science positions and tasks need a rare combination of Statistics, Hacking, Database, Business, and other skills. New KDnuggets Poll is asking which approach is better for filling Data Science Positions - Individual or Team?
- MADlib: Big Data Machine Learning in SQL for Data Scientists - Jan 6, 2014.
MADlib is open source with commercially usable BSD license; supports Postgres and Pivotal Greenplum DBMS, and provides classification, regression, clustering, topic modeling and other analytics for Big Data.
- Top stories for Dec 29 – Jan 4: Unicorn Data Scientists vs Data Science Teams; Top Datasets on Reddit - Jan 5, 2014.
Unicorn Data Scientists vs Data Science Teams; Top Datasets on Reddit; A Programmer Guide to Data Mining - Free Download
- BigML 2014 Winter Release: Faster, Easier, and more Programmatic Machine Learning - Jan 4, 2014.
BigML was used to create over 600,000 predictive models in 2013; Winter 2014 release makes big advances in speed and programmability, and new development mode allows you to run unlimited tasks of up to 16 MB for FREE.
- Top stories in December: A Programmer Guide to Data Mining – Free Download; 3 Stages of Big Data - Jan 2, 2014.
New Book: A Programmer Guide to Data Mining - Free Download; Open Source Data Science MS Curriculum; 3 Stages of Big Data; Top 2013 LinkedIn Groups; R leading, but Python is gaining
- Additions to KDnuggets in December - Jan 1, 2014.
MicroStrategy Analytics Express and Data Mining Services, Skytree Machine Learning platform, Ubiq Analytics, and more education, meetings, and software.