- What is the most effective policy response to the new coronavirus pandemic? - Mar 19, 2020.
Where Test/Trace/Quarantine are working, the number of cases/day have declined empirically. Furthermore, this appears to be a radically superior strategy where it can be deployed. I’ll review the evidence, discuss the other strategies and their consequences, and then discuss what can be done.
- AlphaGo is not the solution to AI - Mar 21, 2016.
The field will be better off without an bust cycle it is important for people to keep and inform a balanced view of successes and their extent. AlphoGo might be a step forward for the AI community, but it is still no way close to the true AI.
- All Machine Learning Models Have Flaws - Mar 3, 2015.
This classic post examines what is right and wrong with different models of machine learning, including Bayesian learning, Graphical Models, Convex Loss Optimization, Statistical Learning, and more.
- 11 Clever Methods of Overfitting and how to avoid them - Jan 2, 2015.
Overfitting is the bane of Data Science in the age of Big Data. John Langford reviews "clever" methods of overfitting, including traditional, parameter tweak, brittle measures, bad statistics, human-loop overfitting, and gives suggestions and directions for avoiding overfitting.
- Vowpal Wabbit: Fast Learning on Big Data - May 26, 2014.
Vowpal Wabbit is a fast out-of-core machine learning system, which can learn from huge, terascale datasets faster than any other current algorithm. We also explain the cute name.