2014 Jan Publications
All (84) | Courses, Events (27) | News, Software (25) | Opinions, Interviews (2) | Publications (14) | Top Tweets (13) | Webcasts (3)
- AltaPlana 2014 Text Analytics Market Study - Jan 31, 2014.
KDnuggets, a media sponsor of a 2014 text-analytics market study conducted by leading industry analyst Seth Grimes, invites all text analytics users to take part in this survey. Please respond by Feb 21.
- 10 New Year resolutions for CIOs who want to take the Big Data plunge in 2014 - Jan 28, 2014.
The Big Data hype is everywhere, but many CIOs aren’t sure how to take their first steps toward adopting Big Data. Here are 10 New Year’s resolutions for CIOs who want to take the Big Data plunge in 2014.
- Viewpoint: Why your company should NOT use “Big Data” - Jan 27, 2014.
Hardcore analytics (and Big Data) can add value, but only marginally and only for companies that have already mastered using the data they already have. The ‘obvious’ information from your own data can get you 90%+ of the total impact, so start there. The hard part is executing the basic insights across the organization.
- Using Data Mining to Predict the Winter Olympics Medal Counts in Sochi - Jan 25, 2014.
Could data mining techniques accurately predict the medal counts at the Olympics? A predictive model could give us an estimate of the number of medals each nation might win; but how close could we get to the actual outcomes? It was a tantalizing project …
- Cartoon: Watson and Artificial vs Natural Intelligence - Jan 24, 2014.
New KDnuggets cartoon looks at Watson and compares Artificial and Natural Thinking.
- Big Data for Business Managers - Jan 23, 2014.
Why do Big Data projects fail to deliver the promised value, that too despite the “clearly” established potential? What should business managers do to avoid the media hype and focus on achieving sustainable benefits from big data investments?
- To Fit or Not to Fit Data to a Model - Jan 23, 2014.
What if Shakespeare was a data scientist? Today's big data necessitates - Let the data define the model.
- New Book on Realtime Analytics and Recommendation Engines - Jan 23, 2014.
The book covers realtime analytics and its application to recommendation engines from a control-theoretic perspective.
- KDnuggets 14:n02, Split on Data Science; Data Science in Python Tutorial - Jan 22, 2014.
Split on Data Science - Team vs Individual Approach, Data Science in Python - free tutorial, PASS Free Online Business Analytics Training - Feb 5, Confessions of a Dataholic, and more analytics/data mining news.
- Opening the Dataset: Confession of a Dataholic - Jan 16, 2014.
My name is Bruce Ratner, and I am a dataholic. I am also an artist and poet in the world of statistical data. I always await getting my hands on a new dataset to crack open and paint the untapped, unsoiled numbers into analytic scenes and swirling equations.
- Analytics, Mathematics, and Art of Rene Romero Schuler and Van Gogh - Jan 13, 2014.
Is there a connection between Analytics, Mathematics and arts? How do we add arts flavor to analytics business is the question. And answer lies in century old painting by Van Gogh called "The Starry Night" which represents perfect turbulence.
- Hadoop: Elephants in the Cloud - Jan 9, 2014.
Hadoop in the Cloud became a trending topic in 2013, with many new product and project announcements. This guest post explores 6 reasons why customers are seeing increased value in this model.
- KDnuggets 14:n01, Unicorn Data Scientists vs Team? Top Datasets on Reddit; What is wrong with Data Science - Jan 8, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (13) | Software (2) | Courses, Events (1) | Meetings (4) | Jobs (5) | Academic (1) | Competitions (1) | Publications (7) | Tweets (6) | News Briefs (3) | CFP (14) .
- IEEE Rock Stars of Big Data Presentations - Jan 7, 2014.
This event, held at the Computer History Museum in Oct 2013, attracted a sold-out crowd who listened to 9 excellent speakers and leaders in the field - here are the presentations.