- Interview: UN/WDC “Data For Climate Action” Challenge – What Data Scientists Need to Know - Mar 13, 2017.
We ask UN Global Pulse Director about the 'Data For Climate Action' Challenge, the best sources of climate data, examples of using data for climate mitigation and climate adaptation, and resources for convincing climate change skeptics.
- Data Science vs Crime: Detecting Pickpocket Suspects from Transit Records - Sep 1, 2016.
A team of US and Chinese researchers has creatively used massive data collected by automated fare collectors for identifying thieves in the public transit systems. The system was tested in Beijing and was able to identify 93% of known pickpockets.
- Analytics for Personal Fitness Devices - Sep 12, 2015.
Analytics in health care is yet an undiscovered territory, but due to IoT devices it is estimated to grow to $53 billion in the next three years. Here we explain the current status of industry, its future potential and key drivers.
- Book: Mining Human Mobility in Location-Based Social Networks - Jul 30, 2015.
This book takes a data mining perspective to offer an overview of studying human mobility in location-based social networks (LBSN) and illuminate a wide range of related computational tasks. It also highlights what are the unique characteristics and research opportunities of LBSN data.
- Data Science and Mobile Devices: Joined at the Hip - Jun 25, 2015.
As number of wearable and IoT devices have soared, there is a new big data market emerging at horizon. Here, we have scratched the surface of this giant and got few connections between mobile devices and data science.