All (84) | Courses, Events (27) | News, Software (25) | Opinions, Interviews (2) | Publications (14) | Top Tweets (13) | Webcasts (3)
- AltaPlana 2014 Text Analytics Market Study - Jan 31, 2014.
KDnuggets, a media sponsor of a 2014 text-analytics market study conducted by leading industry analyst Seth Grimes, invites all text analytics users to take part in this survey. Please respond by Feb 21.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 29-30: Visual.ly Data Visualization Catalog; 100 numpy exercises, from Novice to Expert Data Scientists - Jan 31, 2014.
Visual.ly Data Visualization Catalog help you choose the right visualization; 100 numpy exercises, from Novice to Expert Data Scientists; R vs Python Duel, Contest 1A - download, process 2GB census data; Online course: More Data Mining with Weka
- Open Analytics Chicago Summit, March 27 - Jan 31, 2014.
This summit is a great place for CTOs, CMOs, Engineers, Developers, Data Scientists, and others to network and learn about open source technologies and big data analytics.
- ACM SIGSPATIAL Cup 2014, GIS-focused algorithm competition - Jan 30, 2014.
This contest will focus on the important problem of map generalization, a commonly used concept in creating maps of different scales.
- More Data Mining with Weka - Jan 30, 2014.
This online course teaches both principles and practical data mining techniques, lets students work on very big datasets, classify text, experiment with clustering, and much more.
- Statwing, Modern Data Analysis Software - Jan 30, 2014.
Every decision maker in the organization needs to be capable of analyzing data, but most tools require a lot of mundane and time-consuming data cleaning. Statwing solves that problem and lets you focus on data analysis.
- Determining the Value of Insights - Jan 30, 2014.
With the value of Consumer Insights being questioned to justify ROI, the Market Research professionals need to figure out ways to quantify the value of those insights. Determining the value of insights is no easy task and requires focus on three key components.
- IE Master in Business Analytics and Big Data, Madrid - Jan 30, 2014.
IE in Madrid, one of the top Business Schools in the world, designed the 10-months Master in Business Analytics and Big Data degree for people who studied or are working in technology, do quantitative work in engineering, statistics or business.
- “Human Analytics” at the Sentiment Analysis Symposium, March 5-6 (KDnuggets discount) - Jan 29, 2014.
Understand the business value in "human data" - emotion, intent, connection - in online, social, and enterprise sources via text, speech, video and social-network analytics. Early bird till Jan 31 + KDnuggets discount.
- Data Mining for Beginners Boot Camp, Salford video series - Jan 29, 2014.
This series shows how to easily apply SPM software suite to your predictive modeling projects, using a modern banking application as an example. This series is at the beginner level, and is perfect for first-time users or for those who need a refresher course in model building and data analysis.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 27-28: Dilbert takes on #BigData Analysis and Salaries; Free Tutorial, Data Analytics for Beginners - Jan 29, 2014.
Dilbert takes on #BigData Analysis and Salaries of Top Performers. Hilarious! ; Free Tutorial - Data Analytics for Beginners: Part 1 - Installing R and RStudio; Part 2: Data Cleaning; A New Science of Cities emerges from Mobile Phone Data Analysis.
- 10 New Year resolutions for CIOs who want to take the Big Data plunge in 2014 - Jan 28, 2014.
The Big Data hype is everywhere, but many CIOs aren’t sure how to take their first steps toward adopting Big Data. Here are 10 New Year’s resolutions for CIOs who want to take the Big Data plunge in 2014.
- Top Trends in Analytics and Big Data ahead of Strata 2014 Santa Clara - Jan 28, 2014.
Our survey ahead of Strata 2014 Conference revealed the top 3 trends in Analytics and Big Data for 2014: Analytics for the masses, Apache Spark, and Real Time Analytics. Read the interesting comments and details and get a KDnuggets discount for Strata.
- Building Better Models – Case studies in Predictive Analysis – JMP Webcasts - Jan 27, 2014.
The five-part on-demand series shows how to build better and more useful models with modern predictive modeling techniques such as regression, neural networks and decision trees.
- Viewpoint: Why your company should NOT use “Big Data” - Jan 27, 2014.
Hardcore analytics (and Big Data) can add value, but only marginally and only for companies that have already mastered using the data they already have. The ‘obvious’ information from your own data can get you 90%+ of the total impact, so start there. The hard part is executing the basic insights across the organization.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 24-26: Great map of #DataScience skills; Online Courses in Predictive Analytics, ML - Jan 27, 2014.
Great map of #DataScience skills (Biz, ML, #BigData, Coding, Stats) vs Roles ; Online Courses in Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science; Top #BigData Trend in 2014: Big Data as a Service; Opinion: Why your company should NOT use Big Data.
- SAS surpasses $3 billion in 2013 revenue - Jan 27, 2014.
The growth reflects strong sales of SAS Visual Analytics, anti-fraud solutions (44%), cloud computing (20%), data management and certain industry-specific applications (16-18%). For every one of its 38 years, SAS has grown revenue and shown a profit.
- Top stories for Jan 19-25: Learning from Data free online course; MassBigData; Split on Data Science Skills - Jan 27, 2014.
Tutorial: Data Science in Python; Learning from Data: Caltech free online course; MassBigData to boost Massachusetts Big Data, Analytics Ecosystem; Split on Data Science Skills: Individual vs Team approach.
- Using Data Mining to Predict the Winter Olympics Medal Counts in Sochi - Jan 25, 2014.
Could data mining techniques accurately predict the medal counts at the Olympics? A predictive model could give us an estimate of the number of medals each nation might win; but how close could we get to the actual outcomes? It was a tantalizing project …
- Online Courses in Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science from Statistics.com - Jan 24, 2014.
Many interesting online courses covering Decision Trees, Machine Learning Tools, Python for Analytics, Social Network Analysis, Hadoop, Forecasting, Data Visualization, and more, from Statistics.com.
- Cartoon: Watson and Artificial vs Natural Intelligence - Jan 24, 2014.
New KDnuggets cartoon looks at Watson and compares Artificial and Natural Thinking.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 22-23: 30 Free Data Mining Tools; Linkurious – explore and visualize graph data - Jan 24, 2014.
A somewhat random but useful review of 30+ Free Data Mining Software tools; Linkurious: a solution to explore and visualize graph data; The Data Scientist Toolbox, starts on Coursera Apr 7
- Big Data for Business Managers - Jan 23, 2014.
Why do Big Data projects fail to deliver the promised value, that too despite the “clearly” established potential? What should business managers do to avoid the media hype and focus on achieving sustainable benefits from big data investments?
- To Fit or Not to Fit Data to a Model - Jan 23, 2014.
What if Shakespeare was a data scientist? Today's big data necessitates - Let the data define the model.
- New Book on Realtime Analytics and Recommendation Engines - Jan 23, 2014.
The book covers realtime analytics and its application to recommendation engines from a control-theoretic perspective.
- SLDM Statistical Learning and Data Mining III – 10 Hot Ideas, Palo Alto, Mar 20-21 - Jan 23, 2014.
Taught by top Stanford professors and leading statisticians Trevor Hastie and Robert Tibshirani, this course presents 10 hot ideas for learning from data, and gives a detailed overview of statistical models for data mining, inference and prediction.
- Northwestern Online MS in Predictive Analytics - Jan 23, 2014.
Build in-demand skills for the growing analytics field, prepare for leadership opportunities, and learn from distinguished faculty and industry experts.
- Linkurious: Explore and Visualize Graph Data - Jan 22, 2014.
Linkurious is designed to handle big data and be easy to use; it is focused on local exploration - search any information within a graph and start exploring the connections from this point.
- Clustify 4.0 adds Real-Time Predictive Coding - Jan 22, 2014.
Clustify updates the predicted relevance scores for the entire document population each time a document is categorized, showing the impact on the progress pie and the precision-recall curve instantly.
- Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, Jan 20-21: Data scientists who use OS tools earn more; JHU #DataScience Specialization - Jan 22, 2014.
Data scientists who master open source tools R, Python, Hadoop earn more; JHU offers 9-Course #DataScience Specialization via Coursera; The Life of a Data Scientist, Relentless, but in a Lazy Way; MADlib, a solution for #BigData Analytics
- KDnuggets 14:n02, Split on Data Science; Data Science in Python Tutorial - Jan 22, 2014.
Split on Data Science - Team vs Individual Approach, Data Science in Python - free tutorial, PASS Free Online Business Analytics Training - Feb 5, Confessions of a Dataholic, and more analytics/data mining news.
- JMP Analytically Speaking Webcasts: Rob Reul (Jan 29), Michael Schrage (Feb 12) - Jan 21, 2014.
Join Analytically Speaking webcasts - conversations with thought leaders, and learn more about voice of the customer research, data visualization reporting, behavioral economics, iterative innovation, and more.
- Split on Data Science Skills: Individual vs Team Approach - Jan 21, 2014.
The results of latest KDnuggets poll show an almost equal split between those who favor individual and those who favor the team approach. See the counterintuitive regional differences and interesting comments.
- TESC Online, Affordable MBA in Data Analytics –
Recharge Your Career - Jan 21, 2014.This online program enables graduates to use advanced data analytics to drive continuous improvement resulting in organizational sustainability, and lets you earn credit for professional certifications/expertise.
- MassBigData launched to boost Massachusetts Big Data, Analytics Ecosystem - Jan 20, 2014.
MassBigData has a wealth of information, including publicly available Mass data sets, local #BigData events, regional jobs (over 2300 currently), a map of MassBigData companies, resources, and much more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 17-19: Learning from Data: Caltech free online course; Data scientists most used tools: SQL, R, Python, Excel - Jan 20, 2014.
Learning from Data: Caltech free online course, now with captions in 40 languages; Data scientist most used tools: SQL (71%), R #rstats (43%), Python (41%), Excel (36%); 13 Machine Learning and Data Mining Books for Data Scientists; The Power of Bubble Charts to display data in 4 dimensions
- KDnuggets Free Pass to Strata Conference,
Santa Clara, Feb 11-13, 2014 - Jan 20, 2014.The O'Reilly Strata Conference brings together the brightest minds in data science and big data, decision makers and practitioners - win a free KDnuggets 2-day pass.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World Toronto, unique conference in Canada, May 12-15 - Jan 20, 2014.
PAW Toronto is the only conference in Canada that offers an unparalleled perspective on analytics where both technical and business knowledge are integrated towards solving real-life business problems. Get Early Bird rates till Jan 24.
- Learning from Data, Caltech Free Online Course, now with captions in 40 languages - Jan 19, 2014.
Free, introductory Machine Learning online course, taught by a top-rated Caltech professor Yaser Abu-Mostafa, now with professional captioning in more than 40 languages.
- Top stories for Jan 12-18: Tutorial: Data Science in Python; Data Science Venn Diagram v2.0 - Jan 19, 2014.
Tutorial: Data Science in Python; Data Science Venn Diagram v2.0; Interpreting Model Performance with Cost Functions.
- SocDM: Launching the Society of Data Miners – Open Meeting, London, Feb 11 - Jan 19, 2014.
The Society of Data Miners is an independent non-profit organisation which aims to increase the benefits of data mining to society, and to advance the profession of data mining. Come to the first open meeting, London, Feb 11.
- KDD 2014 Call for Papers, Workshops, Tutorials and Sponsorships - Jan 17, 2014.
KDD 2014, the leading research conference in the field, will bring together researchers and practitioners from all aspects of data mining, knowledge discovery, and large-scale data analytics. This year special theme is Data Mining for Social Good. Abstracts due Feb 13.
- 3X: A workbench for computational experiments - Jan 17, 2014.
3X is an open-source software tool to ease the burden of conducting computational experiments and managing data analytics, providing a standard yet configurable structure to execute a wide variety of experiments in a systematic way.
- Data Science for Social Good, Chicago Jun-Aug 2014, Apply by Feb 1 - Jan 17, 2014.
Data Science for Social Good 2014 Summer Fellowship at the U. of Chicago is looking for students, mentors, and project partners. Fellows apply by Feb 1.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 15-16: Here is how to call Python from R; US Median Data Scientist salary: $117,500 - Jan 17, 2014.
Here is how to call Python from R; Data Scientist Salary Survey: median salary in US is $117,500; Yann LeCun, Head of Facebook new AI Lab: we are limited only by how many smart people we can find.
- NIST Data Science Symposium, Mar 4-5 - Jan 16, 2014.
NIST is forming a cross-cutting data science program, focused on system benchmarking and rigorous measurement. Register for NIST Data Science Symposium by Feb 21.
- Opening the Dataset: Confession of a Dataholic - Jan 16, 2014.
My name is Bruce Ratner, and I am a dataholic. I am also an artist and poet in the world of statistical data. I always await getting my hands on a new dataset to crack open and paint the untapped, unsoiled numbers into analytic scenes and swirling equations.
- PASS Free Online Business Analytics Training, Feb 5 - Jan 16, 2014.
Join live webcasts by some of the most knowledgeable and top-rated speakers, covering Advanced Analytics in Excel, End-to-End Power BI, Big Data, Data Visualization, and more. Tune in on Feb 5, 2014.
- SciCast: a Crowdsourced Forecasting Platform for Science and Technology - Jan 15, 2014.
Join tech people from around the world in the largest collaborative science and technology forecasting effort, ever, to make real-time predictions on future innovations and significant events in science and technology.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 13-14: Data Science in Python, Free Tutorial; How Netflix Got Analytics Wrong, Then Right - Jan 15, 2014.
Data Science in Python Tutorial, free tutorial; How Netflix Got Analytics Wrong, Then Right; Cartoon: Lets solve this problem by using #BigData none of us have any idea what to do with ; "Data Scientist" fever in Japan is gone?
- PAN Competition: Plagiarism Detection, Author Identification, Author Profiling - Jan 15, 2014.
Take part in one of 3 tasks: Plagiarism Detection - given a document, is it an original? Author Identification - given a document, who wrote it? Author Profiling - given a document, what is author age / gender?
- Free Tutorial: Data Science in Python - Jan 14, 2014.
This Data Science in Python tutorial covers importing data, scikit-learn basics, aggregation and grouping, feature engineering, model evaluation, and deployment.
- DSE 400 Fast Track to Data Science, Free Online Course - Jan 14, 2014.
This free online course will explore Machine Learning, Big Data Architecture, Analytics, and Evidence-Oriented Systems Engineering, and will offer mentorship from experts along with practical skills and techniques. Course starts Jan 19.
- Interpreting Model Performance with Cost Functions - Jan 13, 2014.
Cost functions are critical for the correct assessment of performance of data mining and predictive models. This series goes deep into the statistical properties and mathematical understanding of each cost function and explores their similarities and differences.
- Analytics, Mathematics, and Art of Rene Romero Schuler and Van Gogh - Jan 13, 2014.
Is there a connection between Analytics, Mathematics and arts? How do we add arts flavor to analytics business is the question. And answer lies in century old painting by Van Gogh called "The Starry Night" which represents perfect turbulence.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 10-12: Data Science Venn Diagram v2.0; Reference Texts on Data Mining and Machine Learning - Jan 13, 2014.
Data Science Venn Diagram v2.0 - how to find "unicorn" data scientist ; Reference Texts on Data Mining and Machine Learning; Top 10 Job titles that didnt exist 5 yrs ago: 6. Data Scientist; Google can now identify house numbers on Street View, using deep learning
- Top stories for Jan 5-11: MADlib: Big Data Machine Learning in SQL; Rock Stars of Big Data - Jan 12, 2014.
MADlib: Big Data Machine Learning in SQL for Data Scientists; IEEE Rock Stars of Big Data Presentations; Hadoop Elephants in the Cloud.
- Zementis: Teradata and IBM Partnership, Hadoop/ML best practices, James Taylor on standards - Jan 11, 2014.
Zementis Universal PMML Plug-in (UPPI), which enables the execution of standards-based predictive analytics, now works for Teradata and IBM PureData systems. Also learn about Best practices for Hadoop and Machine Learning and read James Taylor on analytics standards.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 8-9: Great list of NLP APIs; Python erodes R hegemony, but do not go all-in Python now - Jan 10, 2014.
Great list of 25+ NLP APIs for Sentiment Analysis, Text Processing, Topic Extraction; MLbase: Distributed Machine Learning using Apache Spark; "Sexy" Data Science should be a Team Sport, or it will fail ; LinkedIn files lawsuit over data-mining bots which mine user profiles
- Webcast: BigML Programmatic Machine Learning Made Easy, Jan 28 - Jan 9, 2014.
BigML Winter release offers enhanced performance and many new features for quickly building powerful predictive models, applications and services. Learn more on Jan 28 and get a 25% discount.
- PASS: 24 Hours of Business Analytics Learning, Feb 5, Free Webcast - Jan 9, 2014.
Feb 5 business analytics learning online event brings you an all-star lineup of BA and BI community experts delivering best practices for getting the most from your data. 24 Hours of PASS is free, thanks to our sponsors.
- Wharton Online: Strategic Value of Customer Relationships, Mar 3 – Apr 27 - Jan 9, 2014.
Go beyond the "average customer" to create and execute a successful strategy for business growth with Wharton Executive Education's new online program. Learn how to identify which customers are the most profitable, and how to effectively reach them. Apply now - Deadline Feb. 14.
- Hadoop: Elephants in the Cloud - Jan 9, 2014.
Hadoop in the Cloud became a trending topic in 2013, with many new product and project announcements. This guest post explores 6 reasons why customers are seeing increased value in this model.
- Hadoop Innovation Summit, San Diego, Feb 19-20 - Jan 9, 2014.
This summit boasts a line-up of world class speakers and is set to bring together professionals pioneering Hadoop in their organizations.
- Sand Hill 50 Swift and Strong in Big Data - Jan 8, 2014.
Here is a list of 50 leaders in Big Data, based on their story, ecosystem, insight, and influence, from Actian to Wibidata.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 6-7: Why is Machine Learning top course at Stanford? MADlib: Big Data Machine Learning - Jan 8, 2014.
Why Is Machine Learning the most popular course at Stanford? MADlib: Big Data Machine Learning in SQL for Data Scientists; Prediction for 2014: data scientists (that's you) will be worth more; Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science companies and startups
- KDnuggets 14:n01, Unicorn Data Scientists vs Team? Top Datasets on Reddit; What is wrong with Data Science - Jan 8, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (13) | Software (2) | Courses, Events (1) | Meetings (4) | Jobs (5) | Academic (1) | Competitions (1) | Publications (7) | Tweets (6) | News Briefs (3) | CFP (14) .
- IEEE Rock Stars of Big Data Presentations - Jan 7, 2014.
This event, held at the Computer History Museum in Oct 2013, attracted a sold-out crowd who listened to 9 excellent speakers and leaders in the field - here are the presentations.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World for Manufacturing, Chicago, June 17-18 - Jan 7, 2014.
The Predictive Analytics World for Manufacturing conference will focus on several different application areas of manufacturing where predictive analytics and big data have proven to be game changers.
- December Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Companies and Startups Activity - Jan 7, 2014.
December 2013 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Answers.com, Talend, Palantir, KPMG, Datameer, Dell
- INFORMS Business Analytics and Operations Research, Boston, Mar 30 – Apr 1 - Jan 7, 2014.
INFORMS is a top analytics conference featuring over 100 practical talks which provide pointed "how we did it" information from hand-picked industry speakers. Keynote speakers include industry thought leader Tom Davenport. Sign up now at the super saver rates.
- New Poll: Data Science Skills – Individual vs Team Approach - Jan 7, 2014.
Data Science positions and tasks need a rare combination of Statistics, Hacking, Database, Business, and other skills. New KDnuggets Poll is asking which approach is better for filling Data Science Positions - Individual or Team?
- CUNY Online MS in Data Analytics - Jan 7, 2014.
CUNY SPS offers a fully online and affordable MS in Data Analytics that prepares graduates to manage and analyze Big Data. Learn more in Jan 14 info session.
- BigData TechCon: Learn HOW TO Master Big Data, Mar 31-Apr 2, Boston - Jan 6, 2014.
Big Data TechCon, Mar 31-Apr 2, Boston, is the HOW-TO big data event. Use code BIGDATA for $200 discount. Save even more with early bird by Jan 24.
- MADlib: Big Data Machine Learning in SQL for Data Scientists - Jan 6, 2014.
MADlib is open source with commercially usable BSD license; supports Postgres and Pivotal Greenplum DBMS, and provides classification, regression, clustering, topic modeling and other analytics for Big Data.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 3-5: How to build a successful Data Science team; Netflix reverse engineered Hollywood - Jan 6, 2014.
How to build a successful #DataScience team; Netflix reverse engineered Hollywood to understand how people look for movies; 6000 Companies Hiring Data Scientists; An academic paper on how to search the Internet for evidence of time travel
- Top stories for Dec 29 – Jan 4: Unicorn Data Scientists vs Data Science Teams; Top Datasets on Reddit - Jan 5, 2014.
Unicorn Data Scientists vs Data Science Teams; Top Datasets on Reddit; A Programmer Guide to Data Mining - Free Download
- BigML 2014 Winter Release: Faster, Easier, and more Programmatic Machine Learning - Jan 4, 2014.
BigML was used to create over 600,000 predictive models in 2013; Winter 2014 release makes big advances in speed and programmability, and new development mode allows you to run unlimited tasks of up to 16 MB for FREE.
- KNIME User Group Meeting, Zurich, Feb 12-14 - Jan 4, 2014.
This annual event serves an international forum for discussion of KNIME and how it is used in various fields such as business and customer intelligence, analytics and the life sciences. Early bird rates before Jan 27, 2014.
- Biernbaum: Data Science is going 99% too fast - Jan 3, 2014.
Currently Data Science (and Big Data) is a train that is going 99% faster than the rails can support. It can derail and become a failed fad. To succeed, Data Science and Big Data need to specialize.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 27 – Jan 2: Oryx: Simple large-scale machine learning; Sad state of sentiment analysis - Jan 3, 2014.
Oryx on GitHub: Simple real-time large-scale machine learning infrastructure; Sad state of sentiment analysis: LESS accurate than a coin toss? Practical Tools for Exploring Data and Models, by R wizard @hadleywickham; Top stories in December
- Jan-Apr Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Jan 3, 2014.
Upcoming meetings include Oracle BIWA Summit, EGC, Sentiment Analysis Symposium, PAW San Francisco, GigaOM Structure Data, INFORMS, SBP, and SIAM Data Mining.
- Top stories in December: A Programmer Guide to Data Mining – Free Download; 3 Stages of Big Data - Jan 2, 2014.
New Book: A Programmer Guide to Data Mining - Free Download; Open Source Data Science MS Curriculum; 3 Stages of Big Data; Top 2013 LinkedIn Groups; R leading, but Python is gaining
- Additions to KDnuggets in December - Jan 1, 2014.
MicroStrategy Analytics Express and Data Mining Services, Skytree Machine Learning platform, Ubiq Analytics, and more education, meetings, and software.