This post updates a previous very popular post 100 Active Blogs on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science, Machine Learning
as of March 2016 (and 90+ blogs, 2015 version
). This year we removed 26 blog sites from the previous list that does not meet our active
criterion: at least one blog in the last 3 months (since Oct 1, 2016). We also added ten new relevant blogs to the list. All blogs in this list are categorized into two groups: very
active and moderately
active. The former often have several entries each month while the latter may only have one post for a few months recently. We also separate blogs that do not involve much in technical discussions as in a Others
group. Within each group of blogs, we list in alphabetical order. Blog overview is based on information as it have appeared on its URL as of 1-1-2017. If we missed some popular active blogs, please suggest them in the comments below.
Active/Very Active group (individual/small group blogs)
- Ann Maria’s Blog, by Dr. AnnMaria De Mars, President of the online statistics education company The Julia Group.
- Big on Data Andrew Brust, Tony Baer and George Anadiotis cover Big Data technologies including Hadoop, NoSQL, Data Warehousing, BI and Predictive Analytics.
- Blog About Stats By Armin Grossenbacher, a network for professionals mainly of statistical institutions.
- CoolData By Kevin MacDonell on Analytics, predictive modeling and related cool data stuff for fund-raising in higher education.
- Data Genetics
- Data-mining.philippe-fournier-viger A blog by Philippe Fournier-Viger about data mining, data science, big data.
- Data Science 101 by Ryan Swanstrom, Learning to be a data scientist
- DecisionStats by Ajay Ohri, founder of DECISIONSTATS and author of “R for Business Analytics” and “R for Cloud Computing”.
- Domino Data Lab on startups, data science, R and Python.
- Error Statistics Philosophy by Virginia Tech statistical philosopher Deborah G. Mayo.
- Freakonometrics hypotheses – Charpentier, a professor of mathematics, offers a nice mix of generally accessible and more challenging posts on statistics related subjects, all with a good sense of humor.
- FlowingData, the visualization and statistics site of Nathan Yau.
- Geeking with Greg, exploring the future of personalized information.
- Harvard Data Science, thoughts on Statistical Computing and Visualization.
- Hunch.net, by John Langford, a leading applied machine learning researcher, covers the intersection of machine learning theory and practice.
- Hyndsight by Rob Hyndman, on forecasting, data visualization and functional data.
- JT on EDM, James Taylor on Everything Decision Management.
- Juice Analytics on analytics and visualization.
- Kaggle blog “No Free Hunch”, covering Kaggle data science and machine learning competitions The Official Blog of Kaggle.com
- Lazy Programmer on the latest in big data, data science, and coding for startups.
- MineThatData.com Blog by Kevin Hillstrom, views on Multichannel Marketing and Database Marketing.
- Machine Learning Mastery by Jason Brownlee, on programming & machine learning.
- Machined Learning by Paul Mineiro, from Microsoft Cloud & Information Services Lab.
- Nuit Blanche, by Igor Carron, focuses on Compressive Sensing, Advanced Matrix Factorization Techniques, Machine Learning.
- Numbers rule your world, by Kaiser Fung big data plainly spoken.
- Occam’s Razor by Avinash Kaushik, examining web analytics and Digital Marketing.
- OpenGardens, Data Science for Internet of Things (IoT), by Ajit Jaokar.
- Observational Epidemiology, a college professor and a statistical consultant offer their comments, observations and thoughts on applied statistics, higher education and epidemiology.
- Overcoming bias By Robin Hanson and Eliezer Yudkowsky. Present Statistical analysis in reflections on honesty, signaling, disagreement, forecasting and the far future.
- Predictive Analytics World blog, by Eric Siegel, founder of Predictive Analytics World and Text Analytics World, and Executive Editor of the Predictive Analytics Times, makes the how and why of predictive analytics understandable and captivating.
- R chart A blog about the R language written by a web application/database developer.
- R Statistics By Tal Galili, a PhD student in Statistics at the Tel Aviv University who also works as a teaching assistant for several statistics courses in the university.
- Revolution Analytics, news about using open source R for big data analysis, predictive modeling, data science, and visualization
- Sabermetric Research By Phil Burnbaum blogs about statistics in baseball, the stock market, sports predictors and a variety of subjects.
- Statisfaction A blog by jointly written by PhD students and post-docs from Paris (Université Paris-Dauphine, CREST). Mainly tips and tricks useful in everyday jobs, links to various interesting pages, articles, seminars, etc.
- Shape of Data, presents an intuitive introduction to data analysis algorithms from the perspective of geometry, by Jesse Johnson.
- Silicon Valley Data Science blog
- Simply Statistics By three bio-statistics professors (Jeff Leek, Roger Peng, and Rafa Irizarry) who are fired up about the new era where data are abundant and statisticians are scientists.
- Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science by Andrew Gelman.
- Stats with Cats, by Charlie Kufs who was crunching numbers for over thirty years.
- The Official Google Analytics Blog.
- The Analysis Factor By Karen Grace Martin.
- Tom H. C. Anderson personal blog, focusing on market research with data and text mining. Also OdinText blog
- Vincent Granville blog. Vincent, the founder of AnalyticBridge and Data Science Central, regularly posts interesting topics on Data Science and Data Mining
- What’s the Big Data. Gil Press covers the Big Data space and also writes a column on Big Data and Business in Forbes.
- Xi’ans Og Blog, by a professor of Statistics at Université Paris Dauphine, mainly centered on computational and Bayesian topics.
- Analytics Vidhya blog on development of analytical skills, analytic industry best practices, and more.
- Hadoop360 A Data Science Central Community Channel devoted entirely to all things Hadoop.
- IBM Big Data Hub Blogs, blogs from IBM thought leaders.
- KDnuggets, a leading site/blog on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Predictive Analytics (this site, included for completeness).
- O’Reilly Radar, a wide range of research topics and books. Radar has moved to oreilly.com/topics/data-science.
- Planet Big Data is an aggregator of blogs about big data, Hadoop, and related topics. We include posts by bloggers worldwide
- R-bloggers , best blogs from the rich community of R, with code, examples, and visualizations.
- SAS Blogs home, connecting to people, products, and ideas from SAS
- Smart Data Collective, an aggregation of blogs from many interesting data science people.
- StatsBlog, a blog aggregator focused on statistics-related content, and syndicates posts from contributing blogs via RSS feeds.
- The Data Warehouse Insider Technical details, ideas and news on data warehousing and big data from the Oracle Team.