KDnuggets™ News 14:n13, May 28
Features (5) | Software (3) | Opinions (5) | News (1) | Webcasts (1) | Courses (1) | Meetings and Reports (3) | Jobs (5) | Academic (2) | Publications (2) | Tweets (3) | CFP (5) | Quote
- Where to Learn Deep Learning - Courses, Tutorials, Software - May 26, 2014.
Deep Learning is a very hot Machine Learning techniques which has been achieving remarkable results recently. We give a list of free resources for learning and using Deep Learning.
- InformationWeek 10 Big Data Pros To Follow On Twitter - May 22, 2014.
Information Week list of 10 Big Data Pros includes leading industry experts @merv, @sogrady, @Sve_Sic, @KirkDBorne, @KDnuggets, @BigDataGal, @Data_Nerd, @JaimeFitzgerald, @TonyBaer, and @marcusborba.
- Vowpal Wabbit: Fast Learning on Big Data - May 26, 2014.
Vowpal Wabbit is a fast out-of-core machine learning system, which can learn from huge, terascale datasets faster than any other current algorithm. We also explain the cute name.
- Data Literacy: Education for the Information Economy - May 22, 2014.
Brian Liou discusses how data literacy adopts an even more important role for professionals in the data-driven world of today as seen in the interviews conducted for the Analytics Handbook.
- Big Data Use Case: Zookeeper at Rubicon Project - May 27, 2014.
What is the big idea with ZooKeeper - a summary of an excellent Big Data use case using Apache ZooKeeper for Hadoop implementation.
- OnlyBoth Startup is like IBM Watson in Reverse - May 24, 2014.
OnlyBoth startup from Vivisimo co-founder Raul Valdes-Perez is like IBM Watson in reverse - it discovers new insights in data and writes them in English.
- Zementis - Cool Vendor in Data Science, 2014 - May 22, 2014.
Zementis, named by Gartner a Cool Vendor in Data Science, provides a scalable, standards-based platform to rapidly deploy and execute predictive models.
- Signi-Trend App: Detecting Significant Trends in Text - May 21, 2014.
Signi-Trend is a visual explorer tool for a new, heavy-hitters style, trend detection algorithm. Details will be published at KDD 2014.
Opinions and Interviews
- Interview: Martin Hack, CEO, Skytree on Industrializing Machine Learning for Big Data - May 26, 2014.
We discuss the mission of Skytree, product strategy, complimentary consulting programs, recent trends, and current expectations from Machine Learning.
- Interview: Richard Wendell, VP, Data Science, TE Connectivity on the Role of Analytics in Organizations - May 24, 2014.
We discuss organizational structure of data science team, making Analytics an integral component of all projects, future of Big Data and crucial soft-skills for aspiring practitioners.
- Saxon Global, fast growing BI, Big Data, Cloud Service Provider - May 24, 2014.
Why India is emerging as a powerhouse of Analytics, Big Data Applications, Privacy, What will replace Big Data, and more.
- Interview: Richard Wendell, VP, Data Science, TE Connectivity on Strategy for Analytics Projects - May 23, 2014.
We discuss the last mile of the execution path of Analytics projects, five critical pillars of success and data-driven decision making through advanced analytics.
- Interview: Dale Russell, CTO, Talksum on Building Talksum Router and Real-time Anaytics - May 21, 2014.
We discuss challenges in building Talksum data stream solution, current trends in real-time analytics, advice for Data Science aspirants and more.
- Top stories for May 18-24 - May 25, 2014.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? Stacking the Deck: The Next Wave of Opportunity in Big Data; Michael O'Connell on how to lead in Big Data; Tamr at the New Frontier of Big Data Curation.
Webcasts and Webinars
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - May 26 and beyond - May 26, 2014.
Purchase history to customer projects, Hadoop, YARN, BigML, Amazon Redshift, ClearStory Data, and Analytically Speaking Featuring Dan Ariely - author of Predictably Irrational.
- MADALGO Summer School on LEARNING AT SCALE, August 11-14, Denmark - May 22, 2014.
MADALGO Summer School will teach the latest developments in learning at scale as applied to Big Data. Registration is free on a first-come-first serve basis. Denmark, Aug 11 - 14, 2014.
Meetings and Reports
- Free Data Science Workshops at Bournemouth University, UK, June 9-10 - May 27, 2014.
2 Data Science Workshops: "Data scientist: The sexiest job of the 21st century?" and "Data as a utility and analytics as a service". Attendance is free, but registration required.
- Big Data for Executives 2014: Day 1 Highlights - May 23, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data experts from Sears Holdings, PWC, Oracle, Altamira, Tesora on Day 1 of Big Data for Executives 2014.
- Registration open for KDD 2014 - Best Data Mining and Data Science Research - May 23, 2014.
KDD 2014, held Aug 24-27 in New York City, brings you the best research and the state of the art in Knowledge Discovery, Data Mining, and Data Science. Registration is now open - early rate till July 15.
- Kreditech: Software Developer for Data Science Team - May 27, 2014.
Kreditech is the DIGITAL LENDING company which provides easy, fast access to online loans to consumers worldwide. Automate automation of processes to ensure efficient developments and scalability, speeding up machine learning scoring.
- Experian: Chief Scientist - May 24, 2014.
Lead, manage and develop the technical team concentrating on new data asset evaluation and acquisition as well as new product development.
- UBS Research: Digital/Web Analytics Manager - May 22, 2014.
Help define our attribution strategy, KPIs, and reporting framework for our cross channel campaigns, track research campaigns from send to open to click to landing page activity and finally monetization.
- Goldman Sachs: VP/Data Scientist, Surveillance Analytics Group - May 21, 2014.
Lead the creation and development of big data analytics function to identify potential risk behaviors, including market manipulation, insider trading, and money laundering.
- Nordeus: Data Scientist - May 21, 2014.
Developing and conducting data-driven research used to generate insights to influence strategy and product improvements.
- Uni. Paderborn: Paid PhD position, Machine Learning / Predictive Analytics / Data Mining - May 27, 2014.
Support research projects in machine learning and data mining, help students in Kaggle competitions, help teach. Position is offered for 2 years with possible extension. Apply by May 30.
- TU-Darmstadt: Postdocs in Statistical NLP, IR, Machine Learning - May 24, 2014.
Researcher with a background in statistical NLP, machine learning, or IR for a postdoc position working to combine large-scale knowledge bases with semantic information from large amounts of text.
- Book: Data Mining and Analysis: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms - May 27, 2014.
This textbook for senior undergraduate and graduate data mining courses provides a broad yet in-depth overview of data mining, integrating related concepts from machine learning and statistics. Companion website has data, slides and other teaching material.
- Outlier Detection for Temporal Data - May 22, 2014.
Outlier Detection for Temporal Data covers topics in temporal outlier detection, which have applications in numerous fields. It starts with the basic topics then moves on to state of the art techniques in the field.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 23-25 - May 26, 2014.
Data Science vs. Statistics: one big difference in Data Science focus; TGIF: A SQL query walks into a bar, approaches two girls at two tables ... Amazing demo - IBM #Watson analyzes topic, presents a speech, can debate opponents Microsoft #Kinect as Inexpensive #BigData Tool.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 21-22 - May 23, 2014.
Outlier Detection for Temporal Data 1.5M #BigData managers will be needed - Become one with #ieMBD Goldman Sachs Surveillance Analytics InformationWeek 10 Big Data Pros To Follow On Twitter.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 19-20 - May 21, 2014.
12 Free Data Mining, Data Science, Applied Stats, and Machine Learning Books Exclusive Interview: Michael O'Connell on How to Lead in Big Data Free ebook: The Complete Guide to Facebook Analytics AI, Deep Learning race between Google, Facebook, and Baidu.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- FCA4AI: Formal Concept Analysis: What can FCA do for Artificial Intelligence?, due May 30
- DeMiMoP'14: 2nd Int. Workshop on Decision Mining & Modeling for Business Processes , due Jun 1
- CoCoMiLe 2014: COmbining COnstraint solving with MIning and LEarning, due Jun 2
- BDDC 2014: Big Data Discovery and Curation, due Jun 8
- MoDAT: Designing the Market of Data, due Aug 1