KDnuggets™ News 14:n20, Aug 6
Features | Software | News | Opinions | Interviews | Reports | Webcasts | Meetings | Jobs | Academic | Publications | Tweets | Quote
- New Poll: What languages you used for analytics / data mining / data science work in 2014? - Aug 6, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What languages you used for analytics / data mining / data science work in 2014? Please vote.
- Exclusive: Dell Management on Analytics, Data Mining, Statistica future - Aug 4, 2014.
In March, Dell bought StatSoft, a maker of popular Statistica platform for data analysis. I recently talked with Dell management about the acquisition, role of Statistica in Dell, and Dell plans for Analytics, Big Data, and Data Mining.
- Interview: Thomas Levi, PlentyOfFish on What does Big Data tell us about Romance - Jul 30, 2014.
We discuss interesting research on the state of romance in US, how PlentyOfFish is managing competition, personal journey from String Theory to Data Science, career advice and more.
- Cartoon: Big Data Visualization and 7-D Printer - Aug 3, 2014.
Big Data is hard to visualize, even with 3-D printers. New KDnuggets cartoon goes beyond 3-D and examines a 7-D Printer.
- Online Degrees in Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science - Jul 31, 2014.
With Data Scientists in big demand, here is a large and updated list of online degrees in Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science, and related areas.
- 18 essential Hadoop tools - Aug 1, 2014.
Hadoop tools develop at a rapid rate, and keeping up with the latest can be difficult. Here we detail 18 of the most essential tools that work well with Hadoop.
- TEXATA Big Data Analytics World Championships, KDnuggets Discount - Aug 5, 2014.
The Big Data Analytics World Championship involves two online qualification rounds and a Live World Finals event held in Texas, USA in October 2014. Free registration for KDnuggets readers.
- Lavastorm Sun Seekers Caribbean Challenge 2 - Aug 5, 2014.
Use Lavastorm Analytics Engine Public Edition to overcome data quality issues and consolidate the lists. Step-by-step instructions make completing the task a snap! Submit your entry by August 31, 2014.
- VizRisk: HHS Visualization Challenge to Change Health - Jul 30, 2014.
VizRisk is the first US government prize competition that seeks to use visualizations of behavioral health data to inform personal and policy decisions.
- ACM SIGKDD 2014 Service Award to Ted Senator - Aug 2, 2014.
The highest award recognizing service to the field of knowledge discovery, data mining, and data science, was awarded to Ted Senator for his contributions to professional conferences and support of research through DARPA.
- Top stories in July: Cartoon: Facebook data science experiment and Cats; Data Mining/Data Science "Nobel Prize" - Aug 5, 2014.
Cartoon: Facebook data science experiment and Happy Cats; Data Mining/Data Science "Nobel Prize": ACM SIGKDD 2014 Innovation Award to Pedro Domingos; Is "Data Scientist" more than "Data Analyst"?; When Watson Meets Machine Learning.
- Top stories for Jul 27 - Aug 2: What does Big Data tell us about Romance - Aug 3, 2014.
Interview: Thomas Levi, PlentyOfFish on what does Big Data tell us about Romance and how online dating is improving matching through Big Data; Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 London: Day 1 Highlights; Probabilistic Approaches to Recommendations.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in July - Aug 1, 2014.
15 new/updated online education options in Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science, 18 new meetings, new consulting companies, software for visualization, social network analysis, text analytics, and more.
- BAT: China's Three Big Data Leaders - Aug 5, 2014.
We examine the "three big mountains" in Chinese Internet and Big Data industry: Baidu, Alibaba, and Tencent (together called BAT), and look into their different strategy and focus.
- Guidelines for statistical education - Jul 31, 2014.
Data science has grown in importance to the point where statistics education should begin to integrate data science into the core statistics curriculum, as opposed to treating data science as a separate strand.
- Interview: Vita Markman, LinkedIn on Discovering Customer Insights through Sentiment Mining - Aug 5, 2014.
We discuss examples of discovery through sentiment mining, current trends, innovative applications, important soft skills, and more.
- Interview: Vita Markman, LinkedIn on Practical Solutions for Sentiment Mining Challenges - Aug 4, 2014.
We discuss sentiment data models, significance of linguistic features, handling the noise in social conversations, industry challenges, important use cases and the appropriateness of over-simplified binary classification.
- Interview: Christophe Toum, Talend on Why Big Data Needs Big Governance - Aug 2, 2014.
We discuss the priority order of data governance for Big Data initiatives, impact of increasing shift towards Hadoop and NoSQL, data quality, current trends, talent crunch, advice and more.
- Interview: Taylor Phillips, Square on Why Finance Needs Machine Learning and Data Science - Aug 1, 2014.
We discuss the role of data science at Square, common machine learning use cases, transition to real-time architecture, major challenges, expectations from data science, key qualities for data scientists, and more.
- ASE International Conference on Big Data Science 2014: Day 3 Highlights - Aug 5, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Data Science leaders from UC Davis, UT Dallas, Northrop Grumman Corp and NIST on day 3 of ASE Conference on Big Data Science 2014 held in Stanford University.
- ASE International Conference on Big Data Science 2014: Day 2 Highlights - Aug 4, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Data Science leaders from USC, YarcData and Revolution Analytics on day 2 of ASE Conference on Big Data Science 2014 held in Stanford University.
- ASE International Conference on Big Data Science 2014: Day 1 Highlights - Aug 1, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Data Science leaders from Pivotal, IBM Research, George Washington University, IARPA at ASE Conference on Big Data Science 2014 held in Stanford University.
- ASE International Conference on Big Data Science 2014: Highlights from Workshops - Jul 31, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Data Science leaders from MIT, Georgia Tech, Microsoft Research and CUHK during workshops at ASE Conference on Big Data Science 2014 held in Stanford University.
- Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 London: Day 2 Highlights - Jul 31, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Predictive Analytics leaders from Spotify, ING, Quintiles, and Riot Games on day 2 of Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in London, UK.
- Future of Consumer Intelligence 2014: Day 3 Highlights - Jul 30, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Market Research leaders on day 3 of Future of Consumer Intelligence 2014 in Los Angeles.
Webcasts and Webinars
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - Aug 5 and beyond - Aug 4, 2014.
Hadoop and Relational DB, Seductiveness of Big Data, SAS to R, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Personalized Healthcare, Data Science at the Command Line, and more.
- Aug - Jan Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Aug 4, 2014.
Coming soon: KDD-2014 Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, DataWeek + API World, PAW Gov, ECML/PKDD, Big Data Innovation Summit, PAW Boston, Strata + Hadoop NYC, and many more.
- Philadelphia VIP: Data Analyst
- Paychex: Sr. Manager, Predictive Analytics and Data Science
- Teleport: Data Scientist
- Online gaming startup (Malta): Data Scientist
- Kreditech: Junior Data Scientist/Business Analyst
- Booking (Amsterdam): Data Scientist
- Microsoft: SDE Student - Xbox Recommendation
- Microsoft: Principal Data Architect - Protection Services
- Kreditech: Data Scientist, Business Analyst
- Kreditech: Data Scientist, Web Analytics
Academic and Research positions
- Book: Data Classification: Algorithms and Applications - Aug 2, 2014.
Learn a wide variety of data classification techniques and their methods, domains, and variations in this comprehensive survey of the area of data classification.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 1-3 - Aug 4, 2014.
Open Source #DataScience Masters plan, with courses from Coursera, Stanford, edX;
Book: Data Classification: Algorithms and Applications;
Markov Chains, key #MachineLearning technique, nice visual explanation;
Data Science with #Python: Part 1.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 30-31 - Aug 1, 2014.
What are the differences between Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning, etc; Where do the most romantic US singles live?
7 signs you're too smart for the job? Not a #BigData problem;
Guidelines for statistical education.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 28-29 - Jul 30, 2014.
Data Scientists are among the highest-paid professions;
Top countries with $1B Internet firms;
Key paper on #DeepLearning: Dropout;
KDnuggets Free Pass to Strata Conference + Hadoop World, New York.