2015 Jul News, Features
All (101) | Courses, Education (4) | Meetings (10) | News, Features (16) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (40) | Publications (7) | Software (6) | Top Tweets (4) | Tutorials, Overviews, How-Tos (7) | Webcasts (7)
- CRN 10 Coolest Big Data Startups
- Jul 30, 2015.
CRN identifies Top 10 startups which offer the coolest technology in big data. The list includes companies which focus on business intelligence, business & visual Analytics, Hadoop technology and cloud-based systems.
- CIKM Machine Learning Competition 2015
- Jul 27, 2015.
CIKM 2015 competition is focused on Australian Football league (AFL), and predicting outcomes of future AFL matches using machine learning techniques based on historical data on teams, players and their performances.
- Top stories for Jul 19-25: Data Science, Machine Learning Cheat Sheets; Coursera/Stanford MMDS free online course
- Jul 26, 2015.
50+ Data Science and Machine Learning Cheat Sheets; Stop Hiring Data Scientists Until Ready; Top June stories; Coursera/Stanford "Mining Massive Datasets" free online course.
- ACM SIGKDD 2015 Service Award to Jian Pei
- Jul 22, 2015.
Prof. Jian Pei wins ACM SIGKDD 2015 Service Award for his significant technical contributions to the principles, practice and application of data mining and for his outstanding services to society and the data mining community.
- Data Mining/Data Science “Nobel Prize”: ACM SIGKDD 2015 Innovation Award to Hans-Peter Kriegel
- Jul 22, 2015.
Prof. Hans-Peter Kriegel wins ACM KDD Innovation Award for his influential research and scientific contributions to data mining in clustering, outlier detection and high-dimensional data analysis, including density-based approaches.
- Jun 2015 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity
- Jul 20, 2015.
Jun 2015 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Spotify, Unicorn Power Law, Twitter + Whetlab, Belong, ZestFinance.
- Top stories for Jul 12-18: 50+ Data Science, Machine Learning Cheat Sheets; Deep Learning Adversarial Examples – Misconceptions
- Jul 19, 2015.
50+ Data Science and Machine Learning Cheat Sheets; Can deep learning help find the perfect date? Deep Learning Adversarial Examples - Clarifying Misconceptions; R, Python users show surprising stability, strong regional differences.
- Top June stories: Top 20 Python Machine Learning Projects; Which Big Data, Data Mining Tools go together?
- Jul 18, 2015.
Top 20 Python Machine Learning Open Source Projects; Which Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science Tools go together?; Popular Deep Learning Tools - a review; Why Does Deep Learning Work?
- CHEMDNER competition: Chemical and drug name recognition task in patents
- Jul 18, 2015.
Want to test your data science skills? Get ready for the next text mining and information retrieval challenge by CHEMDNER.
- IEEE ICDM 2015 Call For Research and Service Award Nominations
- Jul 17, 2015.
The IEEE ICDM awards recognize influential research contributions to the field of data mining, and major service contributions that have promoted data mining as a field and ICDM as the world premier research conference. Nominations due Aug 15.
- R, Python users show surprising stability, but strong regional differences
- Jul 14, 2015.
R remains the dominant language, with Python slowly catching up, and other languages shrinking. We also found surprising stability, with about 90% of R and Python users staying with that language, and strong regional differences.
- Global Data Competition focused on Climate Change
- Jul 12, 2015.
This inaugural global data competition is focused on Climate Change and split into 22 regions around the world.
- Top stories for Jul 5-11: Deep Learning and the Triumph of Empiricism; Data Science != Big Data
- Jul 12, 2015.
Deep Learning and the Triumph of Empiricism; Data Science and Big Data: Two very Different Beasts; Top 20 R packages by popularity; 10 Key Tips for Entry-Level Analytics Professionals.
- Top stories for Jun 28 – Jul 4: Top 20 R packages by popularity; Nine Laws of Data Mining
- Jul 6, 2015.
Top 20 R packages by popularity; Top 20 R Machine Learning and Data Science packages; Nine Laws of Data Mining; The missing D in Data Science.
- Cartoon: Where humans are still ahead of Deep Learning
- Jul 3, 2015.
Deep Learning computer recently beats humans in an IQ test, and computers have beaten human champions in Chess and Jeopardy. However, KDnuggets cartoon finds an area where humans still have an advantage.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, June: Neural Network Generated Images, Free Data Science Books, Super Mario World
- Jul 2, 2015.
Generating images with neural networks, free data science books, machine learning for playing Mario, implementing neural networks in Python, and video generation based on terms were all covered this month on /r/MachineLearning.