2015 Jul Opinions, Interviews, Reports
All (101) | Courses, Education (4) | Meetings (10) | News, Features (16) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (40) | Publications (7) | Software (6) | Top Tweets (4) | Tutorials, Overviews, How-Tos (7) | Webcasts (7)
- Interview: Andrew Duguay, Prevedere on the Hidden Value in Global Data Sets - Jul 31, 2015.
We discuss the challenges in analyzing global economic datasets, impact of Big Data growth on economics, desired skills in data scientists, and more.
- Interview: Andrew Duguay, Prevedere on Economic Intelligence from Integrating Public Datasets - Jul 30, 2015.
We discuss Analytics at Prevedere Software, understanding the impact of external factors on a company’s performance, features of in-memory correlation engine and economic intelligence by Prevedere.
- Big Data Best-Practice Checklist for Small and Medium Enterprises - Jul 30, 2015.
As more and more companies getting into the competition, it is important for the SMEs to get Big Data right from the start. Learn, how you can make most of the big data analytics.
- Impact of IoT on Big Data Landscape - Jul 29, 2015.
The Internet of Things (IoT) is the next technological revolution, expected to generate over $300 B by year 2020, according to Gartner. The IoT will also generate unprecedented amounts of data and its impact will be felt across the entire big data universe.
- Interview: Brian Kursar, Toyota on Big Data & Advanced Analytics – Cornerstones of Innovation - Jul 28, 2015.
We discuss the Big Data architecture at Toyota, executives’ perception of Analytics, Toyota Innovation Fair, advice, trends, and more.
- Data Science Degrees – Analyzed and Visualized - Jul 28, 2015.
We use Silk to create an interactive data site of data science degree programs with visualizations on line. The USA has 181 programs, more than the rest of the world combined. Western Europe follows.
- Big Data for Sustainability - Jul 28, 2015.
With big data about energy usage at the device level, enterprises are reducing consumption, optimizing processes for efficiency, and creating sustainability initiatives that advance them in economic, social, and environmental realms.
- Interview: Brian Kursar, Toyota on What You Need to be Truly Data-Driven - Jul 27, 2015.
We discuss Toyota’s Customer 360 Advanced Analytics and Insights platform, Product Quality Analytics system, Predictive Analytics use cases & performance assessment, and challenges in analyzing data from social media.
- Data for Humanity: A Request for Support - Jul 25, 2015.
The goal of this initiative is to bring people and institutions together who share the motivation to use Data for Common Good / human well-being. Join many other notable signatories.
- Interview: Thanigai Vellore, Art.com on Why Big Data vs RDBMS is the Wrong Question - Jul 24, 2015.
We discuss success factors with polyglot architectures, Big Data challenges, recommendations for using Big Data technologies, trends, advice, and more.
- From Big Data to Big Profits: A Lesson from Google’s Nest - Jul 24, 2015.
Google Nest is a very interesting example of how such a seemingly simple item as thermostat, with the addition to Big Data can transform an industry and lead to significant profits.
- Interview: Thanigai Vellore, Art.com on Delivering Contextually Relevant Search Experience - Jul 23, 2015.
We discuss the role of Analytics at Art.com, the polyglot data architecture at Art.com, the use cases for Hadoop, vendor selection, supporting semantic search and experience with Avro.
- HP Big Data Helps Ford to Better Manage Fleets and Personalize Employee Drives - Jul 23, 2015.
HP-Ford partnership is leveraging Big Data for the next level of Telematics insights based intelligence.
- Sentiment Analysis Symposium Summary and Highlights - Jul 23, 2015.
Here, find out how leading analysts and researchers are exploring the sentiment analysis and text mining in their areas. Also, explore the opportunities, challenges and use-cases for the sentiment analysis.
- Disruptive Innovation and Competitive Intelligence - Jul 22, 2015.
Disruptive innovation paradigm enables us to understand the rising competition in businesses. Here, we will show how this can be helpful to Competitive Intelligence and challenges ahead of it.
- The Perpetual Quest for Digital Trust - Jul 22, 2015.
Digital Trust is at a deficit – concludes the 2015 Accenture Digital Consumer Survey report “Digital Trust in the IoT Era”
- arXiv.org and the 24 Hour Research Cycle - Jul 21, 2015.
ArXiv.org gives researchers the ability to instantly publish research, free of peer review and the publication cycle. This capability offers both advantages and pitfalls. We should warily eye the 24-7 news cycle as a cautionary tale for how this could go wrong.
- Analyzing and Visualizing Flows in Rivers and Lakes with MATLAB - Jul 20, 2015.
ADCPs and VMT have increased the pace of studies that rely on flow data. Find out how these toolkits from MathWorks are revolutionizing the analysis and visualisation processes.
- Interview: Ali Vanderveld, Groupon on How Data Science is Changing the Global E-commerce Marketplace - Jul 17, 2015.
We discuss the tools used for data science, competitive landscape, journey from astrophysics to data science, advice, skills sought in data scientists, and more.
- Stop Hiring Data Scientists Until You’re Ready for Data Science - Jul 17, 2015.
Getting an unicorn and restraining it into the chains won't be helpful for you or the unicorn. Find out how you can tap into the potential of these new age unicorns.
- OpenImpact – solve social problems with your data skills - Jul 16, 2015.
Help solve social problems with your data skills - DataLook #openimpact campaign has curated a list of 10 impressive reusable data-driven projects that can help to solve problems in your city.
- Interview: Ali Vanderveld, Groupon on Vital Ingredients of Analytics-powered Sales Force - Jul 16, 2015.
We discuss the role of Analytics at Groupon, deciding factors for merchant priority, limitations of historical data, optimizing the efforts of sales force, data characteristics and dealing with Data Sparsity.
- Big Data – yes, that’s what a latest Sensational Rap Music Video is all about - Jul 16, 2015.
Music video featuring Big Data and Hadoop (and Map-Reduce and NoSQL) might be all you need to light up your day!
- Statistics Denial Myth: Repackaging Statistics With Straddling Terms - Jul 16, 2015.
Data science is nothing but the old wine in new bottle versions of the statistics with different fields. Here, we are busting the myth which states data scientist is new and different than traditional statisticians.
- Deep Learning Adversarial Examples – Clarifying Misconceptions - Jul 15, 2015.
Google scientist clarifies misconceptions and myths around Deep Learning Adversarial Examples, including: they do not occur in practice, Deep Learning is more vulnerable to them, they can be easily solved, and human brains make similar mistakes.
- Interview: Ramkumar Ravichandran, Visa on Customer-focus Mindset for Analytics - Jul 15, 2015.
We discuss career advice, need for customer-focus, Analytics trends, desired skills in Data Science practitioners, and more.
- Interview: Ramkumar Ravichandran, Visa on Actionable Insights – Easier Said Than Done - Jul 14, 2015.
We discuss Analytics at Visa, adapting to the Big Data world, gaps between expectations and delivery from Analytics, delivering Actionable Insights, and tools/technologies used.
- Can Deep Learning Help you Find the Perfect Girl? – Part 2 - Jul 13, 2015.
Using Deep Learning to find the perfect match, PhD student Harm de Vries describes the process of data collection and analysis. Finally, the results from matching algorithm are compared to human assessment for identifying an individual's dating preferences.
- Can deep learning help find the perfect date? - Jul 10, 2015.
When a Machine Learning PhD student at University of Montreal starts using Tinder, he soon realises that something is missing in the dating app - the ability to predict to which girls he is attracted. Harm de Vries applies Deep Learning to assist in the pursuit of the perfect match.
- Interview: Reiner Kappenberger, HP Security Voltage on Security Checklist for Data Architectures - Jul 10, 2015.
We discuss securing data-at-rest and data-in-motion, security recommendations for data architectures, trends, advice, and more.
- Interview: Reiner Kappenberger, HP Security Voltage on How to Secure Data-in-Motion - Jul 9, 2015.
We discuss the security concerns in Big Data, challenges in securing Big Data locally and over cloud, and open source solutions – Knox and Ranger.
- Lund University Develops an Artificial Neural Network for Matching Heart Transplant Donors with Recipients - Jul 9, 2015.
Finding the correct donor for the transplant has been challenging and intensively researched usecase in data science. Here, you can find how MathWorks was used to resolve this problem.
- Data Science Made in Switzerland - Jul 9, 2015.
Recently there was a data science conference at ZHAW Datalabs, which was attended by people with a wide range of skills, expertise, and levels. Check out the highlights of the events and future plans of the conference.
- Interview: Reiner Kappenberger, HP Security Voltage on Data-Centric Security for Big Data - Jul 8, 2015.
We discuss HP Security Voltage growth story, HP acquisition, assessing the state of current security standards, and the need for “data-centric” security.
- Deep Learning and the Triumph of Empiricism - Jul 7, 2015.
Theoretical guarantees are clearly desirable. And yet many of today's best-performing supervised learning algorithms offer none. What explains the gap between theoretical soundness and empirical success?
- The Definitive Guide to doing Data Science for Social Good - Jul 6, 2015.
Are you a data scientist, and looking for the opportunity to use your skill for social good? Here, you can find some of the options available for using the data science skills for well-being of society.
- Data Science and Big Data: Two very Different Beasts - Jul 6, 2015.
Creating artifact from the ore requires the tools, craftmanship and science. Same is the case of big data and data science, here we present the distinguishing factors between the ore and the artifact.
- Doubt and Verify: Data Science Power Tools - Jul 3, 2015.
In the end, there is no truth, no ultimate ground truth, no lie-free utterances, as everything is contextual based on incomplete facts and knowledge. All world models are flawed, but Data Science has 2 power tools.
- KDnuggets Interview: Amr Awadallah, CTO & Co-founder, Cloudera on the Secret Sauce of Open Source - Jul 2, 2015.
We discuss the critical success factor for open source projects, entrepreneurial lessons, advice, desired qualities in data scientists and more.
- The missing D in Data Science - Jul 1, 2015.
Data science is often talked in terms of tools, insights and emerging use cases, but one of its important pillars domain expertise is left out. Find out why you should be concerned about it.