- Gain the Skills You Need to Level-Up in Your Data-Driven Career - Mar 28, 2019.
If you work with data in your organization and want to expand your role, or you're considering a career move into a data analytics or data science role, the University of Delaware's 100% online Master of Science in Applied Statistics (ASTAT) can help you succeed.
- 5 Things to Know About A/B Testing - Sep 7, 2018.
This article presents 5 things to know about A/B testing, from appropriate sample sizes, to statistical confidence, to A/B testing usefulness, and more.
- Demystifying Data Science - Dec 26, 2017.
Marketing scientist Kevin Gray asks Dr. Randy Bartlett of Blue Sigma Analytics what Data Science really is and how it can help decision-makers.
- Is Regression Analysis Really Machine Learning? - Jun 5, 2017.
What separates "traditional" applied statistics from machine learning? Is statistics the foundation on top of which machine learning is built? Is machine learning a superset of "traditional" statistics? Do these 2 concepts have a third unifying concept in common? So, in that vein... is regression analysis actually a form of machine learning?
- Altria: Applied Statistician, Regulatory Affairs - Feb 28, 2017.
Seeking a Consumer and Marketplace Insights Applied Statistician to support Regulatory Affairs and FDA Engagement, to provide high quality market research by leveraging best in class techniques, and support the exploration and development of innovative and cutting edge tools.
- Removing Outliers Using Standard Deviation in Python - Feb 16, 2017.
Standard Deviation is one of the most underrated statistical tools out there. It’s an extremely useful metric that most people know how to calculate but very few know how to use effectively.
- Regression Analysis: A Primer - Feb 6, 2017.
Despite the popularity of Regression, it is also misunderstood. Why? The answer might surprise you: There is no such thing as Regression. Rather, there are a large number of statistical methods that are called Regression, all of which are based on a shared statistical foundation.
- Predictive Science vs Data Science - Nov 22, 2016.
Is Predictive Science accurately represented by the term Data Science? As a matter of fact, are any of Data Science's constituent sciences well-represented by the umbrella term? This post discusses a few of these points at a high level.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n26, Jul 20: Bayesian Machine Learning, Explained; Start Learning Deep Learning; Big Data is in Trouble - Jul 20, 2016.
Bayesian Machine Learning, Explained; How to Start Learning Deep Learning; Why Big Data is in Trouble: They Forgot About Applied Statistics; Data Mining/Data Science "Nobel Prize": 2016 SIGKDD Innovation Award to Philip S. Yu
- Why Big Data is in Trouble: They Forgot About Applied Statistics - Jul 18, 2016.
This "classic" (but very topical and certainly relevant) post discusses issues that Big Data can face when it forgets, or ignores, applied statistics. As great of a discussion today as it was 2 years ago.
- CMU: Assistant Professor in Applied Statistical Machine Learning - Nov 9, 2015.
CMU is seeking both tenure-track and research-track candidates with strong training in statistical machine learning and a demonstrated commitment to bringing methodological innovation to application-driven research.
- 15 Mathematics MOOCs for Data Science - Sep 23, 2015.
The essential mathematics necessary for Data Science can be acquired with these 15 MOOCs, with a strong emphasis on applied algebra & statistics.
Pages: 1 2
- Applied Statistics Is A Way Of Thinking, Not Just A Toolbox - May 29, 2015.
The choice of tools in applied statistics is driven by the objective, the structure of the data, and the nature of the uncertainty in the numbers, whereas in academic statistics its driven by publishing or teaching. Here we provide some of common statistical tools and the overlapping genealogy.
- Viewpoint: Statistical Data Science, The Data Analysis Side - Feb 4, 2014.
There is no way a term like ‘Data Science’ be interpreted without including data analysis and statistics. The statistics toolbox is a large irreplaceable part of the lingua franca of science.