How to Get a Data Science Job: A Ridiculously Specific Guide
Job hunting is challenging and sometimes frustrating task and we all experience it in our career. Here we provide a very specific and practical guide to get your dream job in Data Science world.
1. Get on LinkedIn
- Send twenty connection requests to data scientists.
- Message a connection and tell them you’re looking for a data science position.
- Share an article from datatau.com that taught you something.
2. Get on GlassDoor
- Read three data scientist job descriptions. Note skills you need to build.
- Apply for a data scientist position, whether you are qualified for it or not.
3. Build a skill
- Pick a skill and use it to build a small demo or tutorial. Don’t spend more than ten hours on it.
- Put your demo/tutorial online. Add the skill to your LinkedIn profile and add a link to it in the Projects section.
- Only answer recruiters who know your name.
- Take every interview you can. Note skills you need to build.
5. Decline the offer
6. Go to step one
Eventually you’ll reach a point, where you can’t quite bring yourself to follow through on step five. The position isn’t exactly what you were looking for but it feels so right, you can’t let it go. Then you’re done.
Every time a company doesn’t make you an offer, it will hurt. Even though you were going to turn them down, it will still feel like a punch to the stomach. You’ll question whether you are smart enough or young enough or experienced enough or prepared enough. This is normal. It sucks. Embrace the disappointment. Vent to your boyfriend or call your brother or go dancing or have a tall glass of Scotch. Whatever your process, work through it, all the while repeating in your mind “I am enough.” Because you are. Then loop back to step one and give it another go.
This method is guaranteed to work. It is a while loop, and the termination criterion is success. Or in the words of John Lennon, “Everything will be okay in the end. If it is not okay, then it is not the end.”
Any job search advice you’d like to add? Connect on LinkedIn and message me. I’ll gather it up and share it back around. Be sure to let me know if you’d like to stay anonymous.
Original. Reposted with permission
- Career Advice for Analytics & Data Science Professionals –
- Want a Data Science Job?
- How to get your first job in Data Science?
|Top Stories Past 30 Days|