- How to Optimize Your CV for a Data Scientist Career - Aug 26, 2020.
As the number of data science positions continues to grow dramatically, so does the number of data scientists in the marketplace. Follow these expert tips and examples to help make your resume and job applications stand out in an increasingly competitive field.
- How to land a Data Scientist job at your dream company - Jan 31, 2020.
Job hunting for anyone just starting out as a data scientist can require grit, passion, and perseverance before finding the best opportunity. Follow this career search journey to learn what it took -- and the learning resources used -- to land the dream job.
- KDnuggets™ News 19:n49, Dec 27: What is a Data Scientist Worth? New Explainable AI from Google - Dec 27, 2019.
What is a Data Scientist Worth?; Google's New Explainable AI Service; The Most In Demand Tech Skills for Data Scientists; The 4 fastest ways NOT to get hired as a data scientist; and KDnuggets Cartoon which was included in a surprising textbook.
- The 4 fastest ways NOT to get hired as a data scientist - Dec 18, 2019.
Ready to try to get hired as a data scientist for the first time? Avoiding these common mistakes won’t guarantee an offer, but not avoiding them is a sure fire way for your application to be tossed into the trash bin.
- Addressing the Growing Need for Skills in Data Science - Oct 22, 2019.
To address the current difficulties in hiring data scientists due to their short supply, many companies can benefit from retraining existing analytically minded employees.
- How to Make a Success Story of your Data Science Team - Jun 25, 2019.
Today, data science is a crucial component for an organization's growth. Given how important data science has grown, it’s important to think about what data scientists add to an organization, how they fit in, and how to hire and build effective data science teams.
- The problem with data science job postings - Apr 25, 2019.
We provide a useful set of rules you can follow to make sure you’re applying to the right roles and explain why confusing job descriptions with impossible requirements are the new normal.
- How to build a technology narrative for early career data and analytics talent acquisition - Apr 11, 2019.
We provide advice for companies in industries still going through a digital transformation on how they can start to understand the problem that Data and Analytics professionals can help solve.
- What no one will tell you about data science job applications - Mar 1, 2019.
For every person who has a question relating to a data science job application, and asks it, there are ten people who have the same question, but don’t ask it. If you’re one of those ten, then this post is for you.
- How I used NLP (Spacy) to screen Data Science Resumes - Feb 6, 2019.
A real life example of when using NLP can help filter down a list of candidates for a job opening, with full source code and methodology.
- KDnuggets™ News 19:n06, Feb 6: Data Scientists: Why are they so expensive to hire? An Essential Data Science Venn Diagram - Feb 6, 2019.
Also an overview of main methods for Dimension Reduction; an intuitive explanation of Random Forests®; how to avoid data visualization disasters; and trending Deep Learning Github repos.
- Data Scientists: Why are they so expensive to hire? - Feb 1, 2019.
We provide some reasoning behind the high cost factor of hiring a data scientist, including the increasing amount of data ready to be analyzed, the structural shortage of people with the appropriate skills, and more.
- The Data Science Gold Rush: Top Jobs in Data Science and How to Secure Them - Jan 24, 2019.
Because big data touches almost every industry across the board, those who aren’t already working in data and analytics will soon be utilizing the technology for its undeniable business benefits. Whichever way you slice it, the future of work is through data.
- How to go from Zero to Employment in Data Science - Jan 15, 2019.
We propose the quickest and surest way to go from zero experience to landing a job, either in data science generally, or specifically in a new programming language or a new technology.
- Predictive Analytics in 2018: Salaries & Industry Shifts - Nov 19, 2018.
Highlights from Burtch Works Study: Salaries of Predictive Analytics Professionals include: salaries remain steady, which industries pay the most, and which industries are attracting more analytics professionals.
- KDnuggets™ News 18:n43, Nov 14: To get hired as a data scientist, don’t follow the herd; LinkedIn Top Voices in Data Science & Analytics - Nov 14, 2018.
Also: What does a data scientist REALLY look like? 10 Free Must-See Courses for Machine Learning and Data Science.
- To get hired as a data scientist, don’t follow the herd - Nov 12, 2018.
Key tips, including advice on how to step out of your comfort zone and sometimes overlooked important skills that will impress employers. Check also the audio version with additional advice.
- Diversity in Data Science: Overview and Strategy - Sep 24, 2018.
We take a hard look at diversity within the tech industry, root causes, and potential solutions and highlight resources/initiatives that can connect readers with programs aiding their professional development.
- Data Scientist Interviews Demystified - Aug 2, 2018.
We look at typical questions in a data science interview, examine the rationale for such questions, and hope to demystify the interview process for recent graduates and aspiring data scientists.
- McKinsey Analytics Online Hackathon, July 20-22 - Jul 13, 2018.
Calling all coders and data scientists to join McKinsey's hackathon. Prize: 5,000 USD + NIPS (Montreal, Canada) + Flights + Accommodation.
- 5 Data Science Projects That Will Get You Hired in 2018 - Jun 26, 2018.
A portfolio of real-world projects is the best way to break into data science. This article highlights the 5 types of projects that will help land you a job and improve your career.
- Aspiring Data Scientists – 4 Steps To Get Hired - Feb 27, 2018.
The most common complaints we see from candidates who have faced rejection are lack of experience, education level requirements, lack of opportunities for Freshers, overly demanding and confusing job role requirements.
- A Guide to Hiring Data Scientists - Feb 22, 2018.
This article provides a short overview of emerging data scientist types and their unique skillsets, as well as a guide for HR professionals and analytics managers who are looking to hire their first data scientists or build a data science team. Included are an overview of skills for each type and specific questions that can be asked to assess candidates.
- 2018 Predictions for the Analytics & Data Science Hiring Market - Feb 6, 2018.
What do you think of this year’s predictions? Do you see any new tools on the horizon, or do you believe data science popularity is due for a reckoning of sorts?
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n43, Nov 8: Peak Demand for Data Scientists/Machine Learning Experts – When? Advice For New and Junior Data Scientists - Nov 8, 2017.
Also: 3 different types of machine learning; Want to know how Deep Learning works? Here's a quick guide to Deep Learning; Blockchain Key Terms, Explained.
- When Will Demand for Data Scientists/Machine Learning Experts Peak? - Nov 7, 2017.
We analyze the results of Data Science / Machine Learning peak demand poll, examine the split between optimists and pessimists, and try to explain why predictions look so similar regardless of experience, affiliation, and region?
- How to Job Interview a Data Scientist - Nov 7, 2017.
Data Scientist is a very broad term and hiring a good fit data scientist for your project is challenging task. Here we discuss this important topic in details.
- New Poll: When will demand for Data Scientists/Machine Learning experts begin to decline? - Oct 23, 2017.
New KDnuggets Poll examines how long the current high demand for Data Scientists/Machine Learning experts will last. Please vote and we will analyze and report the results.
- Data Science Salary Report 2018 – participate - Oct 23, 2017.
Take part in a survey for a global Data Science salary report, which examines the average pay of Data Scientists across the world, reasons for leaving current employers, ideal locations to live and work in, the most common and desirable areas of research/projects and more. Only 5 mins to complete.
- Learning git is not enough: becoming a data scientist after a science PhD - Oct 18, 2017.
Here is useful advice about moving from academia into data science after completing a PhD in a natural science.
Pages: 1 2
- 4 Major Trends Influencing the 2017 Predictive Analytics Hiring Market - Oct 17, 2017.
We examine the implications of trends in hiring market, including the growth of quantitative Initiatives, blurring of the lines between Predictive Analytics and Data Science Professionals, and more .
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n25, Jun 28: Emerging Data Science Software Ecosystem; 3 Key Data Science 2017 Hiring Trends - Jun 28, 2017.
Emerging Data Science Software Ecosystem; 3 Key Trends Shaping the 2017 Data Science Hiring Market; Top 10 Quora Machine Learning Writers and Their Best Advice; The world's first protein database for Machine Learning and AI; Making Sense of Machine Learning
- 3 Key Trends Shaping the 2017 Data Science Hiring Market - Jun 23, 2017.
Interesting finding include: salaries for early career data scientists decrease for the first time in four years, percent of early career data scientists with a PhD drops - read more for details.
- The Quant Crunch: The demand for data science skills - May 10, 2017.
This report, created by analyzing millions of job postings using advanced technology, divides Data Science and Analytics roles into 6 broad categories, and answers many questions, including cities, industries, job roles with most growth.
- How to Get a Data Science Job: A Ridiculously Specific Guide - Mar 7, 2017.
Job hunting is challenging and sometimes frustrating task and we all experience it in our career. Here we provide a very specific and practical guide to get your dream job in Data Science world.
- Predictions for Data Science in 2017 - Mar 2, 2017.
Our predictions include: 2017 will be the year of Deep Learning (DL) technology, Artificial General Intelligence is still far away, Software and Hardware Progress will accelerate, and AI will have unexpected socio-political implications.
- Career Advice for Analytics & Data Science Professionals - Feb 13, 2017.
In our experience working with many quantitative professionals over the years, the two main areas that contribute to long-term career growth are networking and continuous learning. Here is specific advice on how to do this and tips for Continuous Learning.
- Want a Data Science Job? - Feb 7, 2017.
Apply to Springboard Data Science Career Track - the first online bootcamp to guarantee you a job in data science or your money back. Hundreds of graduates have mastered data science skills, and have been hired at top companies.
- How to get your first job in Data Science? - Feb 6, 2017.
We provide guidelines for the most important questions, including the key data scientist skills and tools, how to get them, how to learn and practice, and where to send your application.
- Get a data science job, guaranteed - Jan 4, 2017.
Springboard, a leader in data science education, is launching the first data science bootcamp to guarantee you a data science career -- or your money back. The program is very selective, so apply quickly to see if you qualify.
- Revenue per Employee: golden ratio, or red herring? - Jan 4, 2017.
There is growing support for revenue per employee as one of the most underrated metrics available for assessing business performance in a crowded marketplace.
- Springboard launches data science bootcamp with a job guarantee - Dec 12, 2016.
Springboard Data Science Career Track is the first online data science bootcamp that offers a job guarantee to its graduates. Springboard tracked 50 graduates and saw that all got a job within 6 months, with a median increase of $18,000 in first-year salary.
- Evolution of the Data Scientist Through the Decade: What’s Changed - Oct 20, 2016.
Evolution is the truth of mankind and it’s inevitable. We all are evolutionizing everyday biologically as well as technologically and so do our roles and responsibilities. Here is the summary of evolution of Data Scientist role and it’s hiring trends in industry throughout the decade.
Pages: 1 2
- The Coronation of Predictive Analytics: A Four-Year Retrospective - Oct 6, 2016.
The highlights from The Burtch Works Study: Salaries of Predictive Analytics Professionals 2016, which examines updated compensation and demographic data on over 1,200 analytics professionals across the US.
- Hiring Foreign Data Scientists in the US – A Primer on Visas - Oct 3, 2016.
To alleviate the shortage of Data Scientists, many companies look to hire overseas and need to navigate the complex and expensive visa process. Here we compare two common visa categories for data scientists across 6 criteria employers care about (eligibility, legal fees, filing fees, quota, length of process, and chances of approval).
- Advice for Data Science Interviews - Aug 9, 2016.
Check out an interview excerpt from Springboard’s Guide to Data Science Interviews. Determine how one can find data science interviews - and ace them!
- 4 Major Trends Disrupting the Data Science Market - Jul 15, 2016.
An interesting excerpt from Burtch Works' recently published Burtch Works Study: Salaries of Data Scientists 2016, focusing on trends disrupting the data science market.
- Will Predictive Hiring Algorithms Replace or Augment your HR Decisions? - May 6, 2016.
Corporate recruiters spend an average of 6 seconds on every resume. Predictive screening algorithms can help identify good candidates, and help recruiters to do a better job.
- When Big Data Means Bad Analytics - Mar 21, 2016.
When analytics delivers disappointing results, it is often because there is not enough analytic expertise, and/or lack of understanding of a business objectives for using Big Data in the first place. To avoid failure, insist on high standards.
- Analytics Hiring Strong, Staying In One Job Is Weak - Mar 21, 2016.
With more companies jumping on the data-driven bandwagon, companies have been creating new roles and new data science and analytics teams. It is right time to make your move and land up in your dream job.
- 4 Reasons Why We Need More Women In Big Data - Feb 10, 2016.
Gender imbalance in the workforce has been highlighted alarmingly during the recent years. Here, we are providing you a couple of reasons, including the inherent advantage and lack of stereotype for role to hire women data scientists.
- Data Science Resume Tips and Guidelines - Jan 8, 2016.
A well-built resume is key to get through the first door – in the process of getting hired as a Data Scientist. Learn more, about how to present yourself as a true DS and which pitfalls to avoid.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 28 – Jan 03: TensorFlow is Terrific; Data Science in Python 100 Interview Questions - Jan 4, 2016.
TensorFlow is Terrific - A Sober Take on Google Deep Learning; Data Science in Python 100 Interview Questions and Answers; 20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists; There are only 5 questions #MachineLearning can answer.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 07-13: 50 Useful Machine Learning and Prediction APIs; 35 R Job Interview Questions, Answers - Dec 14, 2015.
R Programming: 35 Job #Interview Questions and Answers; A Look into #MachineLearning First Cheating #Scandal; The current state of #machine #intelligence 2.0 ; #Dilbert Dark #humor on combining #DNA tests and #Bevaviour #Predictions;
- Hiring? Approving Mortgages? It’s the Same Thing (Risk …) - Nov 13, 2015.
Traditionally hiring and approving mortgage are completely different problems. But, when you look at them from a data science perspective, both things do have similar characteristics.
- Singapore Data Analytics, Info Security careers - Nov 12, 2015.
Learn about many opportunities in Data Analytics and Info Security careers in Singapore and about its Smart Nation initiative.
- 5 Warning Signs that Turn Off Data Science Hiring Managers - Nov 2, 2015.
Here are some warning signs that will prevent managers from hiring you for a Data Science position. If your resume has one or more of them, make an effort to remove the risk factors.
- Where Should I Work In Big Data? - Oct 9, 2015.
Unravelling the mystery of where to work as a data scientist, whether to venture into start-up or join a safe course of established vendors has been haunting many aspirants. Find out yourself by answer these five questions!
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n32, Oct 7: Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; Best HBR articles on Analytics, Big Data - Oct 7, 2015.
Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; 30 best Harvard Business Review articles on Analytics, Big Data; Crushed it! Landing a data science job; Data science job market - what it's like.
- Data science job market – what it’s like - Oct 2, 2015.
Data scientist interviews can be complex and there is no definite recipe for the success. Understand the complications and processes of an interview and what you should be careful about before accepting the offer.
Pages: 1 2
- Crushed it! Landing a data science job - Oct 1, 2015.
Data scientist interviews depend on the company and the team, it might look like a software developer’s interview, or statistician’s interview. Here we collected some hot tips to pass along if you’re thinking about a move soon.
- Poll Results: Data Scientists don’t stay long in their jobs - Sep 12, 2015.
Job market for Data Scientists is hot - half of them left their previous job after 2 years or less. In a hopeful sign for employers, Data Scientists plan to stay longer in their current job, for all job types.
- 5 questions to decide if you need a data scientist - Aug 26, 2015.
Here are 5 questions to answer if you are thinking about hiring a data scientist. It depends not only on a person, but on the company culture, business problem and understanding its potential.
- New Poll: How long did you stay at your analytics/data science job? - Aug 21, 2015.
Please vote: How long did you stay at your PREVIOUS analytics/data science job/position and how long to you expect to stay at your current one?
- How Long Should You Stay at Your Analytics Job? - Aug 7, 2015.
Considering the huge demand for the data scientists many are pondering to switch for a better profile and salary. But, there some things to be pondered about like what should be the interval between two switches, acquiring new skills and your loyalty.
- Webinar On-Demand: Your First Hire in Predictive Analytics (Hint: it is not a Data Scientist) - Jul 28, 2015.
In a thriving analytic practice, the role of a data scientist is not defined by a person, but by a team. Within that team, several roles may be filled by one person-and several people may fulfill a given role.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n23, Jul 22: Deep Learning Adversarial Examples Myths & Facts; Stop Hiring Data Scientists Until … - Jul 22, 2015.
Deep Learning Adversarial Examples - facts and myths; Stop Hiring Data Scientists Until; arXiv.org and the 24 Hour Research Cycle; Statistics Denial Myth and Repackaging Statistics.
- Stop Hiring Data Scientists Until You’re Ready for Data Science - Jul 17, 2015.
Getting an unicorn and restraining it into the chains won't be helpful for you or the unicorn. Find out how you can tap into the potential of these new age unicorns.
- Interview: Ramkumar Ravichandran, Visa on Customer-focus Mindset for Analytics - Jul 15, 2015.
We discuss career advice, need for customer-focus, Analytics trends, desired skills in Data Science practitioners, and more.
- 10 Key Tips for Entry-Level Analytics Professionals - Jul 4, 2015.
With so many companies hunting down the data scientist. There are few things which aspirants can do to increase their chances of being getting selected into the best ones.
- KDnuggets Interview: Amr Awadallah, CTO & Co-founder, Cloudera on the Secret Sauce of Open Source - Jul 2, 2015.
We discuss the critical success factor for open source projects, entrepreneurial lessons, advice, desired qualities in data scientists and more.
- Interview: Joseph Babcock, Netflix on Curiosity and Courage – Key for Success in Data Science - Jun 17, 2015.
We discuss discovery vs. personalization, advice, trends, desired skills in data scientists, and more.
- How To Become a Data Scientist And Get Hired - May 1, 2015.
A data scientist should be able to choose the right technology, understand the business context and solve a wide range of problems. To hire the the right data scientist, check the tips list in the post.
- Interview: Michael Li, Data Incubator on Data-driven Hiring for Data Scientists - Apr 20, 2015.
We discuss the launch of the Data Incubator, its business model, why we need data-driven hiring, selection process for the incubator program and alumni feedback.
- Interview: Lei Shi, ChinaHR.com on Unraveling Insights from Unstructured Data - Mar 7, 2015.
We discuss challenges in leveraging Big Data, important attributes while profiling employers and job seekers, competitive landscape, desired skills in data scientists and more.
- Interview: Lei Shi, ChinaHR.com on Analytics behind the Perfect Match - Mar 6, 2015.
We discuss analytics at ChinaHR, matching job seekers and employers, traditional job fairs vs online recruitment, key metrics and analytical insights.
- How Many Quants are Changing Jobs? - Feb 6, 2015.
Being a quantitative recruiter, I have had a unique perspective on the current climate and how often are Quants changing jobs? What does this mean if you’re a Quant? What does this mean if you’re trying to hire a Quant?
- Interview: Rachel Hawley, SAS on Why Data Science Needs Communication Skills - Feb 4, 2015.
We discuss SAS Analytics Center of Excellence, trends, advice, desired skills in data science and more.
- Interview: John Schitka, SAP on How to Get Started with Big Data - Jan 23, 2015.
We discuss the current perceptions of Big Data, challenges for Big Data consumerization, dealing with the talent gap, and business strategy for Big Data.
- How to interview a data scientist - Jan 16, 2015.
Having spent the last year interviewing a large number of Data Scientists, I’ve developed a simple set of questions that help me to understand the what, the why and the how of what they do.
- Predictions: 2015 Analytics and Data Science Hiring Market - Jan 13, 2015.
Thanks to Big Data, analytics have become inescapable. Forget the C-Suite if you’re not a Data Geek, recruiting for startups gets harder, analytics salary bands get a lift, and more 2015 predictions.
- 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist - Nov 22, 2014.
Burtch Works details the top 9 data science skills that potential data scientists must have to be competitive in this growing marketplace from the perspective of a recruiter.
- Interview: Joseph Sirosh, Microsoft on Azure ML and the Emerging Data Science Economy - Nov 19, 2014.
We discuss what distinguishes Azure ML from its intense competition, the online machine learning university, current maturity level of Big Data solutions, important skills for data scientists and more.
- To Hire Quants, Fix Your Hiring Process - Nov 7, 2014.
Hiring talented quants requires an up-to-date hiring process including components like competitive salaries, special bonuses, expedient timelines, and that extra special touch to make your company stand out to quality candidates.
- Top stories in September: Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Hiring Data Scientists: What to look for? - Oct 7, 2014.
Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Hiring Data Scientists: What to look for?; Most Viewed Machine Learning Talks at Videolectures; Neural Networks and Deep Learning, free online book (draft).
- Hiring Data Scientists: What to look for? - Sep 9, 2014.
Know key characteristics of what makes up a good data scientist based upon the three authors’ consulting and research experience, having collaborated with many companies world-wide on the topics of big data and analytics.
- Interview: John Funge, CTO, Knack on Why Gaming is the Next Big Thing for Hiring - Aug 18, 2014.
We discuss the gamification of hiring, founding story of Knack, applications of Predictive Human Analytics, challenges, Big Data tools and technology used, key qualities sought in data scientists, career advice and more.
- Data is not a fad - Aug 14, 2014.
Learn why Big Data drives the need for companies to adopt data leadership and why Chief Data Officers are likely to join the C-suite in large organizations.
- Interview: Sujee Maniyam, Elephant Scale on Why Open Source is So Important for Big Data - Aug 8, 2014.
We discuss the importance of contributing to Open Source, Big Data skills for business managers, Big Data predictions, key qualities sought in data engineers, career advice and more.
- Interview: Sujee Maniyam, Elephant Scale on the Best Free Online Resources to Learn Hadoop - Aug 7, 2014.
We discuss the startup - Elephant Scale, DIY Hadoop learning, best free online resources for learning Hadoop, getting a good job in Big Data, and the experience of authoring a book - Hadoop Illuminated (available for free).
- Interview: Christophe Toum, Talend on Why Big Data Needs Big Governance - Aug 2, 2014.
We discuss the priority order of data governance for Big Data initiatives, impact of increasing shift towards Hadoop and NoSQL, data quality, current trends, talent crunch, advice and more.
- Interview: Amy Gaskins, AVP, MetLife on New Era Hiring at MetLife through Synapse - Jul 23, 2014.
We discuss the motivation behind launch of Synapse, updating the recruitment process to meet today's needs, data science trends, career advice, important soft skills and more.
- Fractal Analytics Interview Highlights - Mar 27, 2014.
Fractal Analytics CEO on starting the company, competing with the best, managing attrition, attributes he looks for when hiring, 4 different analytics career tracks, strategic bets, and advice for starting data scientists.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 14-16: Is Apache Spark the Next Big Thing? R Meta-Book – best CRAN posts assembled - Mar 17, 2014.
Apache Spark promises to be the Next Big Thing in #Big Data - 100x faster than #Hadoop; An R Meta-Book - best CRAN posts assembled; The Beauty of pi - the fastest (and most incomprehensible) formula; Tips for Hiring Data Scientists: look for quants with business hustle.