- How To Become A Freelance Data Scientist – 4 Practical Tips - Aug 4, 2021.
If you are a nerd-ish data scientist who wants to start working as an independent (remote) freelance data scientist, then these four practical tips can help you transition from the traditional 9-to-5 job to a dynamic experience as a remote contractor, just as the author did three years ago.
- The Brutal Truth About Data Science - Jul 28, 2021.
Many organizations approach data science as though it was a marketing tool — relabeling things that they already do as ‘data science’ as it involves the use of data. That is not real data science, and it completely misses the point of engaging in data science.
- Streamlit Tips, Tricks, and Hacks for Data Scientists - Jul 13, 2021.
Today, I am going to talk about a few tips that I learned within more than a year of using Streamlit, that you can also use to unleash your powerful DS/AI/ML (whatever they may be) applications.
- Relax! Data Scientists will not go extinct in 10 years, but the role will change - Jul 7, 2021.
About 70% of KDnuggets readers think that the demand for Data Scientists will increase, and 50% think it will increase significantly. At the same time, over 90% think the role of Data Scientist will change. What will the Data Scientist role be in 10 years?
- KDnuggets™ News 21:n25, Jul 7: Data Scientists and ML Engineers Are Luxury Employees; 5 Lessons from McKinsey That Will Make You a Better Data Scientist - Jul 7, 2021.
Are Data Scientists and ML Engineers Luxury Employees? 5 Lessons McKinsey Taught Me That Will Make You a Better Data Scientist; Managing Your Reusable Python Code as a Data Scientist; GitHub Copilot: Your AI pair programmer - what is all the fuss about? and more.
- A Learning Path To Becoming a Data Scientist - Jul 6, 2021.
Becoming a professional data scientist may not be as easy as "1... 2... 3...", but these 10 steps can be your self-learning roadmap to kickstarting your future in the exciting and ever-expanding field of data science.
- Data Scientists and ML Engineers Are Luxury Employees - Jul 5, 2021.
Maybe it seems that everyone wants to become a data scientist and every organization wants to hire one as quickly as possible. However, a mismatch often exists between what companies tend to need and what ML practitioners want to do. So, it's time for the field to take another step toward maturity through an enhanced appreciation of the broad range of technical foundations for an organization to become data-driven.
- 5 Lessons McKinsey Taught Me That Will Make You a Better Data Scientist - Jul 1, 2021.
How to stand out from your peers in the data world.
- Managing Your Reusable Python Code as a Data Scientist - Jun 30, 2021.
Here are a few approaches that I have settled on for managing my own reusable Python code as a data scientist, presented from most to least general code use, and aimed at beginners.
- KDnuggets™ News 21:n24, Jun 30: What will the demand for Data Scientists be in 10 years?; Add A New Dimension To Your Photos Using Python - Jun 30, 2021.
What will the demand for Data Scientists be in 10 years? Will Data Scientists be extinct?; Add A New Dimension To Your Photos Using Python; Data Scientists are from Mars and Software Developers are from Venus; How to Train a Joint Entities and Relation Extraction Classifier using BERT Transformer with spaCy 3; In-Warehouse Machine Learning and the Modern Data Science Stack
- Data Scientists are from Mars and Software Developers are from Venus - Jun 28, 2021.
Within the broad universe of IT in the business world, the approaches for deploying solutions by traditional software engineers and trendy, new data scientists couldn't be more different. However, appreciating these differences are incredibly important because great business value can be gained by integrating both worlds of development into driving more efficiency and effectiveness into an organization.
- What will the demand for Data Scientists be in 10 years? Will Data Scientists be extinct? - Jun 24, 2021.
Participate in the latest KDnuggets survey and share your opinion: what does the next decade have in store for data scientist demand?
- KDnuggets™ News 21:n23, Jun 23: Pandas vs SQL: When Data Scientists Should Use Each Tool; How to Land a Data Analytics Job in 6 Months - Jun 23, 2021.
Pandas vs SQL: When Data Scientists Should Use Each Tool; How to Land a Data Analytics Job in 6 Months; A Graph-based Text Similarity Method with Named Entity Information in NLP; The Best Way to Learn Practical NLP?; An introduction to Explainable AI (XAI) and Explainable Boosting Machines (EBM)
- Pandas vs SQL: When Data Scientists Should Use Each Tool - Jun 21, 2021.
Exploring data sets and understanding its structure, content, and relationships is a routine and core process for any Data Scientist. Multiple tools exist for performing such analysis, and we take a deep dive into the benefits and different approaches of two important tools, SQL and Pandas.
- Data Science is Not Becoming Extinct in 10 Years, Your Skills Might - Jun 18, 2021.
4 reasons why data science is here to stay and what you need to do to ensure that your skillset stays in demand.
- KDnuggets™ News 21:n22, Jun 16: Data Scientists Extinct in 10 Years? Generate Automated PDF Documents with Python - Jun 16, 2021.
Data Scientists be extinct in 10 years? How to generate PDF Documents with Python; Top 10 Data Science Projects for Beginners; Five types of thinking for a high performing data scientist; and how to get interactive plots directly with Pandas.
- Data Scientists Will be Extinct in 10 Years - Jun 14, 2021.
And why it’s not a bad thing.
- Data Scientists, You Need to Know How to Code - Jun 9, 2021.
You need to know how to code — and not just code, but write good code.
- KDnuggets™ News 21:n21, Jun 9: 5 Tasks To Automate With Python; How I Doubled My Income with Data Science and Machine Learning - Jun 9, 2021.
5 Tasks To Automate With Python; How I Doubled My Income with Data Science and Machine Learning; Will There Be a Shortage of Data Science Jobs in the Next 5 Years?; How to Make Python Code Run Incredibly Fast; Stop (and Start) Hiring Data Scientists
- How a Data Scientist Should Communicate with Stakeholders - Jun 3, 2021.
Effective and collaborative communication with stakeholders is a skill that can help you survive in your role as a Data Scientist at your organization. Learn how to master this interaction, and you will perform your job better, see improved outcomes from your projects, and grow in your capabilities and career.
- Will There Be a Shortage of Data Science Jobs in the Next 5 Years? - Jun 3, 2021.
The data science workflow is getting automated day by day.
- Stop (and Start) Hiring Data Scientists - Jun 2, 2021.
Large companies are losing many data scientists to smaller companies, so what should executives and managers do? These three “stop & start” tactics can improve talent retention, and help define a new way of recruiting and working for the Data Science field.
- KDnuggets™ News 21:n20, May 26: Data Engineer, Data Scientists & Other Data Careers, Explained; Where Did You Apply Analytics & Data Science Recently? - May 26, 2021.
Data Scientist, Data Engineer & Other Data Careers, Explained; A Guide On How To Become A Data Scientist (Step By Step Approach); A checklist to track your Data Science progress; How to Determine if Your Machine Learning Model is Overtrained; Differentiable Programming from Scratch
- A Guide On How To Become A Data Scientist (Step By Step Approach) - May 24, 2021.
Becoming a Data Scientists is an exciting path, but you cannot learn data science within one year or six months—instead, it’s a lifetime process that you have to follow with proper dedication and hard work. To guide your journey, the skills outlined here are the first you must acquire to become a data scientist.
- 6 Business Trends Benefiting Data Scientists - May 21, 2021.
Here are six business trends making data scientists even more in-demand.
- Data Scientist, Data Engineer & Other Data Careers, Explained - May 19, 2021.
In this article, we will have a look at five distinct data careers, and hopefully provide some advice on how to get one's feet wet in this convoluted field.
- The Most In Demand Skills for Data Engineers in 2021 - May 18, 2021.
If you are preparing to make a career in data or are looking for opportunities to skill-up in your current data-centric role, then this analysis of in-demand skills for 2021, based on over 17,000 Data Engineer job postings, should offer you a good idea as to which programming languages and software tools are increasing and decreasing in importance.
- 6 side hustles for an aspiring data scientist - May 13, 2021.
As an aspiring data scientist or an employed professional, many opportunities exist for you to offer your skills to a broader audience through side gigs. While the difficulty and risk vary, experiences from applying your data science practice to areas outside your immediate career path can increase your expertise while even increasing your bank account.
- We Don’t Need Data Engineers, We Need Better Tools for Data Scientists - May 7, 2021.
In today's data science jobs landscape, a variety of roles are being filled from specialized engineering positions to the more generalized data scientist. However, is it possible that some of these job types are duplicative or misdirected, such as that of the Data Engineer, which might exist as we know it because of a lack of adequate tooling for Data Scientists?
- Why You Should Consider Being a Data Engineer Instead of a Data Scientist - Apr 27, 2021.
A new king of the jungle has emerged.
- Data Scientist vs Machine Learning Engineer – what are their skills? - Apr 27, 2021.
As two very popular tech roles for 2021, the Data Scientist and Machine Learning Engineer can overlap or be entirely distinct, depending on the organization you work for. However, general differences between these positions require certain skill sets that you must be prepared for when applying for jobs.
- Data Science Books You Should Start Reading in 2021 - Apr 23, 2021.
Check out this curated list of the best data science books for any level.
- Top 10 Must-Know Machine Learning Algorithms for Data Scientists – Part 1 - Apr 22, 2021.
New to data science? Interested in the must-know machine learning algorithms in the field? Check out the first part of our list and introductory descriptions of the top 10 algorithms for data scientists to know.
- Data Profession Job Satisfaction: Beware Of The Drop - Apr 16, 2021.
Latest KDnuggets Poll results: The Job satisfaction has declined for ML Engineers, Data Scientists, and Data Analysts, but remained the same for Data Engineers, and Managers/Directors. Data Scientist job satisfaction has an alarming drop in mid-career. Finally, which regions have the highest and lowest job satisfactions?
- 7 Must-Haves in your Data Science CV - Apr 13, 2021.
If you are looking for a new role as a Data Scientist -- either as a first job fresh out of school, a career change, or a shift to another organization -- then check off as many of these critical points as possible to stand out in the crowd and pass the hiring manager's initial CV screen.
- A/B Testing: 7 Common Questions and Answers in Data Science Interviews, Part 2 - Apr 8, 2021.
In this second article in this series, we’ll continue to take an interview-driven approach by linking some of the most commonly asked interview questions to different components of A/B testing, including selecting ideas for testing, designing A/B tests, evaluating test results, and making ship or no ship decisions.
- KDnuggets™ News 21:n13, Apr 7: Top 10 Python Libraries Data Scientists should know in 2021; KDnuggets Top Blogs Reward Program; Making Machine Learning Models Understandable - Apr 7, 2021.
Top 10 Python Libraries Data Scientists should know in 2021; KDnuggets Top Blogs Reward Program; Shapash: Making Machine Learning Models Understandable; Easy AutoML in Python; The 8 Most Common Data Scientists; A/B Testing: 7 Common Questions and Answers in Data Science Interviews, Part 1
- The 8 Most Common Data Scientists - Apr 1, 2021.
Admit it all you wanna-be, newbie, and old-old-school Data Scientists on the planet, whether you like it or not, you've probably behaved like one of these types. Or two. Or all eight.
- A/B Testing: 7 Common Questions and Answers in Data Science Interviews, Part 1 - Apr 1, 2021.
In this article, we’ll take an interview-driven approach by linking some of the most commonly asked interview questions to different components of A/B testing, including selecting ideas for testing, designing A/B tests, evaluating test results, and making ship or no ship decisions.
- Software Engineering Best Practices for Data Scientists - Mar 30, 2021.
This is a crash course on how to bridge the gap between data science and software engineering.
- Why So Many Data Scientists Quit Good Jobs at Great Companies - Mar 30, 2021.
The role of the Data Scientist continues to offer many great opportunities as a career. However, the 'sexiest job of the 21st century' has lost some of its appeal because of unrealized expectations and how organizations might leverage this type of work. Having a better understanding of how data science typically plays out in the business world can help you achieve the success you want.
- What Took Me So Long to Land a Data Scientist Job - Mar 29, 2021.
Learning all you need to learn about data science is only part of the adventure. Landing that first job is another. While it might take a while to get your foot into the door, there are several key efforts you can do to shorten this time as much as possible.
- 15 Habits I Learned from Highly Effective Data Scientists - Mar 24, 2021.
I’m using these habits in 2021 to become a more effective future data scientist.
- How to Succeed in Becoming a Freelance Data Scientist - Mar 23, 2021.
With recent growth in data science, now is the best time to get into freelancing. The following steps will help you get started with finding clients or help you improve your current strategy.
- The Portfolio Guide for Data Science Beginners - Mar 22, 2021.
Whether you are an aspiring or seasoned Data Scientist, establishing a clear and well-designed online portfolio presence will help you stand out in the industry, and provide potential employers a powerful understanding of your work and capabilities. These tips will help you brainstorm and launch your first data science portfolio.
- KDnuggets™ News 21:n11, Mar 17: Is Data Scientist still a satisfying job? How To Overcome The Fear of Math and Learn Math For Data Science - Mar 17, 2021.
Must Know for Data Scientists and Data Analysts: Causal Design Patterns; Know your data much faster with the new Sweetviz Python library; The Inferential Statistics Data Scientists Should Know; Natural Language Processing Pipelines, Explained
- Are you satisfied in your job? Take our Data Community Job Satisfaction Survey - Mar 15, 2021.
The latest KDnuggets survey is looking to determine the job satisfaction levels of the data community. Take a few moments to contribute your answer and help paint a picture of the current situation.
- 15 common mistakes data scientists make in Python (and how to fix them) - Mar 3, 2021.
Writing Python code that works for your data science project and performs the task you expect is one thing. Ensuring your code is readable by others (including your future self), reproducible, and efficient are entirely different challenges that can be addressed by minimizing common bad practices in your development.
- The Ultimate Guide to Acing Coding Interviews for Data Scientists - Mar 2, 2021.
This article covers understanding the 4 types of coding interview questions and preparing for them effectively.
- How Reading Papers Helps You Be a More Effective Data Scientist - Feb 24, 2021.
By reading papers, we were able to learn what others (e.g., LinkedIn) have found to work (and not work). We can then adapt their approach and not have to reinvent the rocket. This helps us deliver a working solution with lesser time and effort.
- Cartoon: Data Scientist vs Data Engineer - Feb 20, 2021.
New KDnuggets Cartoon examines the problems of Data Scientists vs Data Engineers.
- KDnuggets™ News 21:n07, Feb 17: We Don’t Need Data Scientists, We Need Data Engineers; Data Science vs Business Intelligence, Explained - Feb 17, 2021.
Do we need more data engineers than data scientists? Data Science vs Business Intelligence, Explained; Telling a Great Data Story: A Visualization Decision Tree; Essential Math for Data Science: Scalars and Vectors; 7 most recommended skills for a Data Scientist.
- We Don’t Need Data Scientists, We Need Data Engineers - Feb 15, 2021.
As more people are entering the field of Data Science and more companies are hiring for data-centric roles, what type of jobs are currently in highest demand? There is so much data in the world, and it just keeps flooding in, it now looks like companies are targeting those who can engineer that data more than those who can only model the data.
- 7 Most Recommended Skills to Learn to be a Data Scientist - Feb 10, 2021.
The Data Scientist professional has emerged as a true interdisciplinary role that spans a variety of skills, theoretical and practical. For the core, day-to-day activities, many critical requirements that enable the delivery of real business value reach well outside the realm of machine learning, and should be mastered by those aspiring to the field.
- Who is fit to lead data science? - Feb 9, 2021.
Data science success depends on leaders, not the latest hands-on programming skills. So, we need to start looking for the right leadership skills and stop stuffing job postings with requirements for experience in the most current development tools.
- KDnuggets™ News 21:n05, Feb 3: How to Get a Job as a Data Scientist; Popular Machine Learning Interview Questions, part 2 - Feb 3, 2021.
Learn how to get a job as Data Scientist; it will help if you study popular machine learning interview questions; Beyond the Nash Equilibrium: DeepMind Clever Strategy to Solve Asymmetric Games; Understanding Bayes Theorem; and more.
- How to Get a Job as a Data Scientist - Jan 27, 2021.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to starting your career in data science.
- What to Learn to Become a Data Scientist in 2021 - Jan 26, 2021.
As data becomes the new ‘Gold’ for businesses, data scientists are set to find their value in this gold. This write-up clearly defines the job requirements and company expectations that this phenomenally evolving role entails.
- Want to Be a Data Scientist? Don’t Start With Machine Learning - Jan 26, 2021.
Machine learning may appear like the go-to topic to start learning for the aspiring data scientist. But. thinking these techniques are the key aspects of the role is the biggest misconception. So much more goes into becoming a successful data scientist, and machine learning is only one component of broader skills around processing, managing, and understanding the science behind the data.
- Data Engineering — the Cousin of Data Science, is Troublesome - Jan 22, 2021.
A Data Scientist must be a jack of many, many trades. Especially when working in broader teams, understanding the roles of others, such as data engineering, can help you validate progress and be aware of potential pitfalls. So, how can you convince your analysts to realize the importance of expanding their toolkit? Examples from real life often provide great insight.
- How I Got 4 Data Science Offers and Doubled my Income 2 Months After Being Laid Off - Jan 19, 2021.
In this blog, I shared my story on getting 4 data science job offers including Airbnb, Lyft and Twitter after being laid off. Any data scientist who was laid off due to the pandemic or who is actively looking for a data science position can find something here to which they can relate.
- 8 New Tools I Learned as a Data Scientist in 2020 - Jan 14, 2021.
The author shares the data science tools learned while making the move from Docker to Live Deployments.
- The Four Jobs of the Data Scientist - Jan 13, 2021.
So, what do you do for a living? Sometimes, the answer to that question can feel like, "everything!" Well, for the Data Scientist, an extreme sense of being a "jack of all trades" is common. In fact, four such trades can be defined that a top-quality Data Scientist will iterate through during any one project.
- Advice to aspiring Data Scientists – your most common questions answered - Jan 7, 2021.
Embarking on a new career path can be daunting with many unknowns about how to get started and how to be successful. If you are aspiring to become a Data Scientist, then the answers to these common questions can help set you off on the right foot.
- Six Tips on Building a Data Science Team at a Small Company - Jan 4, 2021.
When a company decides that they want to start leveraging their data for the first time, it can be a daunting task. Many businesses aren’t fully aware of all that goes into building a data science department. If you're the data scientist hired to make this happen, we have some tips to help you face the task head-on.
- 6 Things About Data Science that Employers Don’t Want You to Know - Dec 14, 2020.
As is the potential for any "trending hot" career, the reality of a position in the field may not be all that you initially expected. Data Science is no exception, and being still a young field, its evolving definition can offer some surprises that you should know about before accepting that dream offer.
- Roadmaps to becoming a Full-Stack AI Developer, Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, and more - Dec 2, 2020.
As the fields related to AI and Data Science expand, they are becoming complex with more options and specializations to consider. If you are beginning your journey toward becoming an expert in Artificial Intelligence, this roadmap will guide you to find your path along what to learn next while steering clear of the latest hype.
- Object-Oriented Programming Explained Simply for Data Scientists - Dec 1, 2020.
Read this simple but effective guide to start using Classes in Python 3.
- Data Science History and Overview - Nov 30, 2020.
In this era of big data that is only getting bigger, a huge amount of information from different fields is gathered and stored. Its analysis and extraction of value have become one of the most attractive tasks for companies and society in general, which is harnessed by the new professional role of the Data Scientist.
- How Data Professionals Can Add More Variation to Their Resumes - Nov 24, 2020.
This article presents seven ways data professionals can add variation to their resumes.
- The Rise of the Machine Learning Engineer - Nov 23, 2020.
The evolution of Big Data into machine learning applications ushered in an exciting era of new roles and skillsets that became necessary to implement these technologies. With the Machine Learning Engineer being such a crucial component today, where the evolution of this field will take us tomorrow should be fascinating.
- How Data Scientists Can Avoid ‘Lost in Translation’ Syndrome When Communicating With Management - Nov 20, 2020.
When it comes to data science projects, the disconnect between business executives and data teams can lead to major tension. Keeping these challenges from arising in the first place through effective communication will help reduce friction with stakeholders.
- Kubernetes vs. Amazon ECS for Data Scientists - Nov 19, 2020.
In this article, we’ll look at two container management solutions — Kubernetes and Amazon Elastic Container Service (ECS) — from a perspective that makes sense for aspiring and current data scientists.
- Hypothesis Vetting: The Most Important Skill Every Successful Data Scientist Needs - Nov 18, 2020.
A well-thought hypothesis sets the direction and plan for a Data Science project. Accordingly, a hypothesis is the most important item for evaluating whether a Data Science project will be successful.
- 5 Most Useful Machine Learning Tools every lazy full-stack data scientist should use - Nov 18, 2020.
If you consider yourself a Data Scientist who can take any project from data curation to solution deployment, then you know there are many tools available today to help you get the job done. The trouble is that there are too many choices. Here is a review of five sets of tools that should turn you into the most efficient full-stack data scientist possible.
- Data scientist or machine learning engineer? Which is a better career option? - Nov 2, 2020.
In order to build automated data processing systems, we require professionals like Machine Learning Engineers and Data Scientists. But which of these is a better career option right now? Read on to find out.
- The Missing Teams For Data Scientists - Nov 2, 2020.
Still today, too large a percent of data science projects fail, many of which can be attributed to the impacts of how hard missing data teams hit the data science team. Advocating for the missing data engineering and operations components to your team will make your professional life easier and more productive.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n41, Oct 28: Difference Between Junior and Senior Data Scientists; Ain’t No Such a Thing as a Citizen Data Scientist - Oct 28, 2020.
The unspoken difference between junior and senior data scientists; Ain't No Such a Thing as a Citizen Data Scientist; How to become a Data Scientist: a step-by-step guide; Good-bye Big Data. Hello, Massive Data!; DeepMind Relies on this Old Statistical Method to Build Fair Machine Learning Models
- Advice for Aspiring Data Scientists - Oct 27, 2020.
Are you a student of some type asking how to get into Data Science? You've come to the right place. Read on for both common and less basic advice on entering the field and excelling in the profession.
- How to become a Data Scientist: a step-by-step guide - Oct 26, 2020.
Data science is everywhere. But what are the best ways to learn the field well enough to enter the profession? Read on for some tips and steps on doing so, and some great courses to help you get there.
- How Automation Is Improving the Role of Data Scientists - Oct 26, 2020.
Here is an overview of 5 ways that data automation will enhance how scientists spend their time and improve the results they get.
- The unspoken difference between junior and senior data scientists - Oct 22, 2020.
The unspoken difference between junior and senior data scientists? It’s not what you think.
- How to be a 10x data scientist - Oct 12, 2020.
If you are a Data Scientist looking to make it to the next level, then there are many opportunities to up your game and your efficiency to stand out from the others. Some of these recommendations that you can follow are straightforward, and others are rarely followed, but they will all pay back in dividends of time and effectiveness for your career.
- 6 Lessons Learned in 6 Months as a Data Scientist - Oct 8, 2020.
When transitioning into a Data Science career, a new mindset toward collaboration, data, and reporting is required. Learn from these recommendations on approaches you should consider to successfully develop into your dream job.
- 5 Concepts Every Data Scientist Should Know - Oct 2, 2020.
Once a Data Scientist, there are certain skills you will apply each and every day of your career. Some of these might be common techniques you learned during your education, while others may develop fully only after you become more established in your organization. Continuing to hone these skills will provide you with valuable professional benefits.
- The Online Courses You Must Take to be a Better Data Scientist - Sep 28, 2020.
These select courses have proved to be precious online resources which helped make the author a better data scientist today.
- The Most Complete Guide to PyTorch for Data Scientists - Sep 24, 2020.
All the PyTorch functionality you will ever need while doing Deep Learning. From an Experimentation/Research Perspective.
- I’m a Data Scientist, Not Just The Tiny Hands that Crunch your Data - Sep 21, 2020.
Not everyone "gets" the role of the Data Scientist -- including management. While there can be frustrating aspects of being a data scientist, there are effective ways to go about fixing them.
- Unpopular Opinion – Data Scientists Should Be More End-to-End - Sep 17, 2020.
Can a do-it-all Data Scientist really be more effective at delivering new value from data? While it might sound exhausting, important efficiencies can exist that might bring better value to the business even faster.
- What Does It Take to be a Successful Data Scientist? - Sep 8, 2020.
What is the right approach to earning your stripes and calling yourself a successful data scientist?
- How To Decide What Data Skills To Learn - Sep 4, 2020.
Read this article to learn about getting the most valuable skills on the job market.
- Here is What I’ve Learned in 2 Years as a Data Scientist - Sep 2, 2020.
In this article, for the first time, I’ll consolidate everything that I’ve learned and condense all of these into 5 lessons that I’ve learned in 2 years as a data scientist.
- How to Optimize Your CV for a Data Scientist Career - Aug 26, 2020.
As the number of data science positions continues to grow dramatically, so does the number of data scientists in the marketplace. Follow these expert tips and examples to help make your resume and job applications stand out in an increasingly competitive field.
- Data Scientist Job Market 2020 - Aug 10, 2020.
With an analysis of over a thousand Data Scientist job descriptions in the USA, check out the trends for 2020 and current expectations on new positions in the field, including credentials, experience, and programming languages.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n30, Aug 5: What Employers are Expecting of Data Scientist Role; I have a joke about… - Aug 5, 2020.
Know What Employers are Expecting for a Data Scientist Role in 2020; I have a joke about …; First Steps of a Data Science Project; Why You Should Get Google's New Machine Learning Certificate; Awesome Machine Learning and AI Courses
- Know What Employers are Expecting for a Data Scientist Role in 2020 - Aug 3, 2020.
The analysis is done from 1000+ recent Data scientist jobs, extracted from job portals using web scraping.
- 7 Signs you are data literate - Jul 13, 2020.
Understanding data is key to being a Data Scientist. But, how can you know if you might be a good fit for the field when you haven't worked with much data? These telltale signs will suggest you are competent to work with data, and that you might have a talent for being data literate.
- What every Data Scientist needs to learn from Business Leaders - Jul 10, 2020.
You've learned so much to become a Data Scientist. Now, it's time to kick it up to the next level with advanced soft skills -- because these are important to the business for which you empower to make better decisions. Learning from the business leaders you support will help you develop a broader set of enhanced skills that will boost your Data Science quality and output.
- Data Scientists Have Developed a Faster Way to Reduce Pollution, Cut Greenhouse Gas Emissions - Jul 3, 2020.
Data science is helping with one of the world's most pressing issues. Read about an approach and specific steps being taken by data scientists to quickly reduce pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Largest Dataset Analyzed – Poll Results and Trends - Jul 1, 2020.
The results show that despite the deluge of Big Data, large majority still works in Gigabyte or Megabyte-size datasets. Data Scientists work with the largest-size datasets, followed by Data Engineers, Data Analysts, and Business Analysts. Read more for details.
- Machine Learning Engineer vs Data Scientist (Is Data Science Over?) - Jun 25, 2020.
What has been happening to the definition of Data Scientist over the past 5 years? Does it still exist or has it morphed into a new version of its old self? Learn more about the recent trends in job descriptions and salaries for data scientists, ML engineers, and others to best understand the best fit for your career trajectory and interests.
- Build a Branded Web Based GIS Application Using R, Leaflet and Flexdashboard - Jun 24, 2020.
By using R, Flexdashboard and Leaflet, we can build a customized and branded web application to showcase location based data interactively across the organization. Instead of crowding the application with many widgets, we use menu tabs and pages to separate the interactive aspects.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n24, Jun 17: Easy Speech-to-Text with Python; Data Distributions Overview; Java for Data Scientists - Jun 17, 2020.
Also: Deploy a Machine Learning Pipeline to the Cloud Using a Docker Container; Five Cognitive Biases In Data Science (And how to avoid them); Understanding Machine Learning: The Free eBook; Simplified Mixed Feature Type Preprocessing in Scikit-Learn with Pipelines; A Complete guide to Google Colab for Deep Learning
- Top 6 Reasons Data Scientists Should Know Java - Jun 12, 2020.
There are many reasons why data scientists should learn Java. Read this overview of 6 specific reasons to help decide if Java might be right for your projects.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n22, Jun 3: How to Think Like a Data Scientist; Six Ways For Data Scientists to Succeed at a Startup - Jun 3, 2020.
Learn how to think like a Data Scientist; Read about 6 ways for a data scientist to succeed at a startup; Get a great and free new book on Deep Learning for Coders with fast.ai and PyTorch; check best GIS Courses in 2020; and more.
- Docker: Containerization for Data Scientists - Jun 2, 2020.
This article is a simple explanation to containerization with Docker.
- Six Ways For Data Scientists to Succeed at a Startup - May 29, 2020.
Here are six tips that will help data scientists and other data professionals succeed if they have the opportunity to work at a startup.
- How to Think Like a Data Scientist - May 29, 2020.
So what does it take to become a data scientist? For some pointers on the skills for success, I interviewed Ben Chu, who is a Senior Data Scientist at Refinitiv Labs.
- How to Rock a Virtual Data Interview - May 26, 2020.
To help you truly rock your next virtual data interview, we’ve pulled together a few tips that we recommend when conducting our online interviews for The Data Incubator’s Data Science Fellowship Program.
- Appropriately Handling Missing Values for Statistical Modelling and Prediction - May 22, 2020.
Many statisticians in industry agree that blindly imputing the missing values in your dataset is a dangerous move and should be avoided without first understanding why the data is missing in the first place.
- Coding habits for data scientists - May 14, 2020.
While the core machine learning algorithms might only take up a few lines of code, it's the rest of your program that can get messy fast. Learn about some techniques for identifying bad coding habits in ML that add to complexity in code as well as start new habits that can help partition complexity.
- Data Scientists, Corporate Fortune Tellers - May 8, 2020.
I realized that from a corporate perspective, “fortune teller” was not entirely off from the role of a “data scientist”.
- Top 10 Data Visualization Tools for Every Data Scientist - May 5, 2020.
At present, the data scientist is one of the most sought after professions. That’s one of the main reasons why we decided to cover the latest data visualization tools that every data scientist can use to make their work more effective.
- 10 Best Machine Learning Textbooks that All Data Scientists Should Read - Apr 28, 2020.
Check out these 10 books that can help data scientists and aspiring data scientists learn machine learning today.
- Find Your Perfect Fit: A Quick Guide for Job Roles in the Data World - Apr 23, 2020.
Data related positions are considered the hottest in the job market during the last couple of years. While everyone wants to join the party and enter this fascinating field, it is essential to first get an understanding. In this quick guide, I’ll do my best to dispel the confusion by crystalizing the essence of the different positions.
- Should Data Scientists Model COVID19 and other Biological Events - Apr 22, 2020.
Biostatisticians use statistical techniques that your current everyday data scientists have probably never heard of. This is a great example where lack of domain knowledge exposes you as someone that does not know what they are doing and are merely hopping on a trend.
- 4 Realistic Career Options for Data Scientists - Apr 21, 2020.
It’s almost 10 years since "Data Science" became mainstream. We ask less about how to get into Data Science, but wonder "what’s next?" This article includes insights on four non-trivial, but practical, options and their pitfalls.
- 5 Papers on CNNs Every Data Scientist Should Read - Apr 20, 2020.
In this article, we introduce 5 papers on CNNs that represent both novel approaches and baselines in the field.
- 5 Ways Data Scientists Can Help Respond to COVID-19 and 5 Actions to Avoid - Apr 6, 2020.
How can data scientists help with the COVID-19 response within their organization and more broadly? While there are many valuable and interesting opportunities to apply your skills, there can be unintended consequences even from your best attempt. So, consider this general advice for data scientists who want to help with this and any disaster response.
- Research into 1,001 Data Scientist LinkedIn Profiles, the latest - Mar 31, 2020.
What makes a data scientist today? Consider this review of data collected from three years worth of data scientist LinkedIn profiles to gain insight into how this important new career path is shaping up.
- Nine lessons learned during my first year as a Data Scientist - Mar 20, 2020.
What is it like to be a Data Scientist? There can be many hats to wear, and so many problems to solve that are fed with data, churned by data science, and guided by business results. Find out about lessons learned from one Data Scientist about how best to work and perform in the role.
- 50 Must-Read Free Books For Every Data Scientist in 2020 - Mar 9, 2020.
In this article, we are listing down some excellent data science books which cover the wide variety of topics under Data Science.
- The Augmented Scientist Part 1: Practical Application Machine Learning in Classification of SEM Images - Mar 3, 2020.
Our goal here is to see if we can build a classifier that can identify patterns in Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) images, and compare the performance of our classifier to the current state-of-the-art.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n08, Feb 26: Gartner 2020 Magic Quadrant for Data Science & Machine Learning Platforms; Will AutoML Replace Data Scientists? - Feb 26, 2020.
This week in KDnuggets: The Death of Data Scientists - will AutoML replace them?; Leaders, Changes, and Trends in Gartner 2020 Magic Quadrant for Data Science and Machine Learning Platforms; Hand labeling is the past. The future is #NoLabel AI; The Forgotten Algorithm; Getting Started with R Programming; and much, much more.
- The Death of Data Scientists – will AutoML replace them? - Feb 20, 2020.
Soon after tech giants Google and Microsoft introduced their AutoML services to the world, the popularity and interest in these services skyrocketed. We first review AutoML, compare the platforms available, and then test them out against real data scientists to answer the question: will AutoML replace us?
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n07, Feb 19: 20 AI, Data Science, Machine Learning Terms for 2020; Why Did I Reject a Data Scientist Job? - Feb 19, 2020.
This week on KDnuggets: 20 AI, Data Science, Machine Learning Terms You Need to Know in 2020; Why Did I Reject a Data Scientist Job?; Fourier Transformation for a Data Scientist; Math for Programmers; Deep Neural Networks; Practical Hyperparameter Optimization; and much more!
- Scaling the Wall Between Data Scientist and Data Engineer - Feb 17, 2020.
The educational and research focuses of machine learning tends to highlight the model building, training, testing, and optimization aspects of the data science process. To bring these models into use requires a suite of engineering feats and organization, a standard for which does not yet exist. Learn more about a framework for operating a collaborative data science and engineering team to deploy machine learning models to end-users.
- Fourier Transformation for a Data Scientist - Feb 14, 2020.
The article contains a brief intro into Fourier transformation mathematically and its applications in AI.
- Why Did I Reject a Data Scientist Job? - Feb 12, 2020.
Snagging that job as a Data Scientist might not be exactly what you were expecting. Consider this advice on carefully considering job titles with what the position might really be like day-to-day.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n05, Feb 5: How to land a Data Scientist job at your dream company; 12-Hour Machine Learning Challenge - Feb 5, 2020.
Read how one very persistent data scientist got a job at her dream company; Learn how to complete a 12 hour ML challenge; Top 10 AI, Machine Learning research papers; How to optimize your Jupyter notebook; and PyTorch FTW.