- How Reading Papers Helps You Be a More Effective Data Scientist - Feb 24, 2021.
By reading papers, we were able to learn what others (e.g., LinkedIn) have found to work (and not work). We can then adapt their approach and not have to reinvent the rocket. This helps us deliver a working solution with lesser time and effort.
- Cartoon: Data Scientist vs Data Engineer - Feb 20, 2021.
New KDnuggets Cartoon examines the problems of Data Scientists vs Data Engineers.
- KDnuggets™ News 21:n07, Feb 17: We Don’t Need Data Scientists, We Need Data Engineers; Data Science vs Business Intelligence, Explained - Feb 17, 2021.
Do we need more data engineers than data scientists? Data Science vs Business Intelligence, Explained; Telling a Great Data Story: A Visualization Decision Tree; Essential Math for Data Science: Scalars and Vectors; 7 most recommended skills for a Data Scientist.
- We Don’t Need Data Scientists, We Need Data Engineers - Feb 15, 2021.
As more people are entering the field of Data Science and more companies are hiring for data-centric roles, what type of jobs are currently in highest demand? There is so much data in the world, and it just keeps flooding in, it now looks like companies are targeting those who can engineer that data more than those who can only model the data.
- 7 Most Recommended Skills to Learn to be a Data Scientist - Feb 10, 2021.
The Data Scientist professional has emerged as a true interdisciplinary role that spans a variety of skills, theoretical and practical. For the core, day-to-day activities, many critical requirements that enable the delivery of real business value reach well outside the realm of machine learning, and should be mastered by those aspiring to the field.
- Who is fit to lead data science? - Feb 9, 2021.
Data science success depends on leaders, not the latest hands-on programming skills. So, we need to start looking for the right leadership skills and stop stuffing job postings with requirements for experience in the most current development tools.
- KDnuggets™ News 21:n05, Feb 3: How to Get a Job as a Data Scientist; Popular Machine Learning Interview Questions, part 2 - Feb 3, 2021.
Learn how to get a job as Data Scientist; it will help if you study popular machine learning interview questions; Beyond the Nash Equilibrium: DeepMind Clever Strategy to Solve Asymmetric Games; Understanding Bayes Theorem; and more.
- How to Get a Job as a Data Scientist - Jan 27, 2021.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to starting your career in data science.
- What to Learn to Become a Data Scientist in 2021 - Jan 26, 2021.
As data becomes the new ‘Gold’ for businesses, data scientists are set to find their value in this gold. This write-up clearly defines the job requirements and company expectations that this phenomenally evolving role entails.
- Want to Be a Data Scientist? Don’t Start With Machine Learning - Jan 26, 2021.
Machine learning may appear like the go-to topic to start learning for the aspiring data scientist. But. thinking these techniques are the key aspects of the role is the biggest misconception. So much more goes into becoming a successful data scientist, and machine learning is only one component of broader skills around processing, managing, and understanding the science behind the data.
- Data Engineering — the Cousin of Data Science, is Troublesome - Jan 22, 2021.
A Data Scientist must be a jack of many, many trades. Especially when working in broader teams, understanding the roles of others, such as data engineering, can help you validate progress and be aware of potential pitfalls. So, how can you convince your analysts to realize the importance of expanding their toolkit? Examples from real life often provide great insight.
- How I Got 4 Data Science Offers and Doubled my Income 2 Months After Being Laid Off - Jan 19, 2021.
In this blog, I shared my story on getting 4 data science job offers including Airbnb, Lyft and Twitter after being laid off. Any data scientist who was laid off due to the pandemic or who is actively looking for a data science position can find something here to which they can relate.
- 8 New Tools I Learned as a Data Scientist in 2020 - Jan 14, 2021.
The author shares the data science tools learned while making the move from Docker to Live Deployments.
- The Four Jobs of the Data Scientist - Jan 13, 2021.
So, what do you do for a living? Sometimes, the answer to that question can feel like, "everything!" Well, for the Data Scientist, an extreme sense of being a "jack of all trades" is common. In fact, four such trades can be defined that a top-quality Data Scientist will iterate through during any one project.
- Advice to aspiring Data Scientists – your most common questions answered - Jan 7, 2021.
Embarking on a new career path can be daunting with many unknowns about how to get started and how to be successful. If you are aspiring to become a Data Scientist, then the answers to these common questions can help set you off on the right foot.
- Six Tips on Building a Data Science Team at a Small Company - Jan 4, 2021.
When a company decides that they want to start leveraging their data for the first time, it can be a daunting task. Many businesses aren’t fully aware of all that goes into building a data science department. If you're the data scientist hired to make this happen, we have some tips to help you face the task head-on.
- 6 Things About Data Science that Employers Don’t Want You to Know - Dec 14, 2020.
As is the potential for any "trending hot" career, the reality of a position in the field may not be all that you initially expected. Data Science is no exception, and being still a young field, its evolving definition can offer some surprises that you should know about before accepting that dream offer.
- Roadmaps to becoming a Full-Stack AI Developer, Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, and more - Dec 2, 2020.
As the fields related to AI and Data Science expand, they are becoming complex with more options and specializations to consider. If you are beginning your journey toward becoming an expert in Artificial Intelligence, this roadmap will guide you to find your path along what to learn next while steering clear of the latest hype.
- Object-Oriented Programming Explained Simply for Data Scientists - Dec 1, 2020.
Read this simple but effective guide to start using Classes in Python 3.
- Data Science History and Overview - Nov 30, 2020.
In this era of big data that is only getting bigger, a huge amount of information from different fields is gathered and stored. Its analysis and extraction of value have become one of the most attractive tasks for companies and society in general, which is harnessed by the new professional role of the Data Scientist.
- How Data Professionals Can Add More Variation to Their Resumes - Nov 24, 2020.
This article presents seven ways data professionals can add variation to their resumes.
- The Rise of the Machine Learning Engineer - Nov 23, 2020.
The evolution of Big Data into machine learning applications ushered in an exciting era of new roles and skillsets that became necessary to implement these technologies. With the Machine Learning Engineer being such a crucial component today, where the evolution of this field will take us tomorrow should be fascinating.
- How Data Scientists Can Avoid ‘Lost in Translation’ Syndrome When Communicating With Management - Nov 20, 2020.
When it comes to data science projects, the disconnect between business executives and data teams can lead to major tension. Keeping these challenges from arising in the first place through effective communication will help reduce friction with stakeholders.
- Kubernetes vs. Amazon ECS for Data Scientists - Nov 19, 2020.
In this article, we’ll look at two container management solutions — Kubernetes and Amazon Elastic Container Service (ECS) — from a perspective that makes sense for aspiring and current data scientists.
- Hypothesis Vetting: The Most Important Skill Every Successful Data Scientist Needs - Nov 18, 2020.
A well-thought hypothesis sets the direction and plan for a Data Science project. Accordingly, a hypothesis is the most important item for evaluating whether a Data Science project will be successful.
- 5 Most Useful Machine Learning Tools every lazy full-stack data scientist should use - Nov 18, 2020.
If you consider yourself a Data Scientist who can take any project from data curation to solution deployment, then you know there are many tools available today to help you get the job done. The trouble is that there are too many choices. Here is a review of five sets of tools that should turn you into the most efficient full-stack data scientist possible.
- Data scientist or machine learning engineer? Which is a better career option? - Nov 2, 2020.
In order to build automated data processing systems, we require professionals like Machine Learning Engineers and Data Scientists. But which of these is a better career option right now? Read on to find out.
- The Missing Teams For Data Scientists - Nov 2, 2020.
Still today, too large a percent of data science projects fail, many of which can be attributed to the impacts of how hard missing data teams hit the data science team. Advocating for the missing data engineering and operations components to your team will make your professional life easier and more productive.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n41, Oct 28: Difference Between Junior and Senior Data Scientists; Ain’t No Such a Thing as a Citizen Data Scientist - Oct 28, 2020.
The unspoken difference between junior and senior data scientists; Ain't No Such a Thing as a Citizen Data Scientist; How to become a Data Scientist: a step-by-step guide; Good-bye Big Data. Hello, Massive Data!; DeepMind Relies on this Old Statistical Method to Build Fair Machine Learning Models
- Advice for Aspiring Data Scientists - Oct 27, 2020.
Are you a student of some type asking how to get into Data Science? You've come to the right place. Read on for both common and less basic advice on entering the field and excelling in the profession.
- How to become a Data Scientist: a step-by-step guide - Oct 26, 2020.
Data science is everywhere. But what are the best ways to learn the field well enough to enter the profession? Read on for some tips and steps on doing so, and some great courses to help you get there.
- How Automation Is Improving the Role of Data Scientists - Oct 26, 2020.
Here is an overview of 5 ways that data automation will enhance how scientists spend their time and improve the results they get.
- The unspoken difference between junior and senior data scientists - Oct 22, 2020.
The unspoken difference between junior and senior data scientists? It’s not what you think.
- How to be a 10x data scientist - Oct 12, 2020.
If you are a Data Scientist looking to make it to the next level, then there are many opportunities to up your game and your efficiency to stand out from the others. Some of these recommendations that you can follow are straightforward, and others are rarely followed, but they will all pay back in dividends of time and effectiveness for your career.
- 6 Lessons Learned in 6 Months as a Data Scientist - Oct 8, 2020.
When transitioning into a Data Science career, a new mindset toward collaboration, data, and reporting is required. Learn from these recommendations on approaches you should consider to successfully develop into your dream job.
- 5 Concepts Every Data Scientist Should Know - Oct 2, 2020.
Once a Data Scientist, there are certain skills you will apply each and every day of your career. Some of these might be common techniques you learned during your education, while others may develop fully only after you become more established in your organization. Continuing to hone these skills will provide you with valuable professional benefits.
- The Online Courses You Must Take to be a Better Data Scientist - Sep 28, 2020.
These select courses have proved to be precious online resources which helped make the author a better data scientist today.
- The Most Complete Guide to PyTorch for Data Scientists - Sep 24, 2020.
All the PyTorch functionality you will ever need while doing Deep Learning. From an Experimentation/Research Perspective.
- I’m a Data Scientist, Not Just The Tiny Hands that Crunch your Data - Sep 21, 2020.
Not everyone "gets" the role of the Data Scientist -- including management. While there can be frustrating aspects of being a data scientist, there are effective ways to go about fixing them.
- Unpopular Opinion – Data Scientists Should Be More End-to-End - Sep 17, 2020.
Can a do-it-all Data Scientist really be more effective at delivering new value from data? While it might sound exhausting, important efficiencies can exist that might bring better value to the business even faster.
- What Does It Take to be a Successful Data Scientist? - Sep 8, 2020.
What is the right approach to earning your stripes and calling yourself a successful data scientist?
- How To Decide What Data Skills To Learn - Sep 4, 2020.
Read this article to learn about getting the most valuable skills on the job market.
- Here is What I’ve Learned in 2 Years as a Data Scientist - Sep 2, 2020.
In this article, for the first time, I’ll consolidate everything that I’ve learned and condense all of these into 5 lessons that I’ve learned in 2 years as a data scientist.
- How to Optimize Your CV for a Data Scientist Career - Aug 26, 2020.
As the number of data science positions continues to grow dramatically, so does the number of data scientists in the marketplace. Follow these expert tips and examples to help make your resume and job applications stand out in an increasingly competitive field.
- Data Scientist Job Market 2020 - Aug 10, 2020.
With an analysis of over a thousand Data Scientist job descriptions in the USA, check out the trends for 2020 and current expectations on new positions in the field, including credentials, experience, and programming languages.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n30, Aug 5: What Employers are Expecting of Data Scientist Role; I have a joke about… - Aug 5, 2020.
Know What Employers are Expecting for a Data Scientist Role in 2020; I have a joke about …; First Steps of a Data Science Project; Why You Should Get Google's New Machine Learning Certificate; Awesome Machine Learning and AI Courses
- Know What Employers are Expecting for a Data Scientist Role in 2020 - Aug 3, 2020.
The analysis is done from 1000+ recent Data scientist jobs, extracted from job portals using web scraping.
- 7 Signs you are data literate - Jul 13, 2020.
Understanding data is key to being a Data Scientist. But, how can you know if you might be a good fit for the field when you haven't worked with much data? These telltale signs will suggest you are competent to work with data, and that you might have a talent for being data literate.
- What every Data Scientist needs to learn from Business Leaders - Jul 10, 2020.
You've learned so much to become a Data Scientist. Now, it's time to kick it up to the next level with advanced soft skills -- because these are important to the business for which you empower to make better decisions. Learning from the business leaders you support will help you develop a broader set of enhanced skills that will boost your Data Science quality and output.
- Data Scientists Have Developed a Faster Way to Reduce Pollution, Cut Greenhouse Gas Emissions - Jul 3, 2020.
Data science is helping with one of the world's most pressing issues. Read about an approach and specific steps being taken by data scientists to quickly reduce pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Largest Dataset Analyzed – Poll Results and Trends - Jul 1, 2020.
The results show that despite the deluge of Big Data, large majority still works in Gigabyte or Megabyte-size datasets. Data Scientists work with the largest-size datasets, followed by Data Engineers, Data Analysts, and Business Analysts. Read more for details.
- Machine Learning Engineer vs Data Scientist (Is Data Science Over?) - Jun 25, 2020.
What has been happening to the definition of Data Scientist over the past 5 years? Does it still exist or has it morphed into a new version of its old self? Learn more about the recent trends in job descriptions and salaries for data scientists, ML engineers, and others to best understand the best fit for your career trajectory and interests.
- Build a Branded Web Based GIS Application Using R, Leaflet and Flexdashboard - Jun 24, 2020.
By using R, Flexdashboard and Leaflet, we can build a customized and branded web application to showcase location based data interactively across the organization. Instead of crowding the application with many widgets, we use menu tabs and pages to separate the interactive aspects.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n24, Jun 17: Easy Speech-to-Text with Python; Data Distributions Overview; Java for Data Scientists - Jun 17, 2020.
Also: Deploy a Machine Learning Pipeline to the Cloud Using a Docker Container; Five Cognitive Biases In Data Science (And how to avoid them); Understanding Machine Learning: The Free eBook; Simplified Mixed Feature Type Preprocessing in Scikit-Learn with Pipelines; A Complete guide to Google Colab for Deep Learning
- Top 6 Reasons Data Scientists Should Know Java - Jun 12, 2020.
There are many reasons why data scientists should learn Java. Read this overview of 6 specific reasons to help decide if Java might be right for your projects.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n22, Jun 3: How to Think Like a Data Scientist; Six Ways For Data Scientists to Succeed at a Startup - Jun 3, 2020.
Learn how to think like a Data Scientist; Read about 6 ways for a data scientist to succeed at a startup; Get a great and free new book on Deep Learning for Coders with fast.ai and PyTorch; check best GIS Courses in 2020; and more.
- Docker: Containerization for Data Scientists - Jun 2, 2020.
This article is a simple explanation to containerization with Docker.
- Six Ways For Data Scientists to Succeed at a Startup - May 29, 2020.
Here are six tips that will help data scientists and other data professionals succeed if they have the opportunity to work at a startup.
- How to Think Like a Data Scientist - May 29, 2020.
So what does it take to become a data scientist? For some pointers on the skills for success, I interviewed Ben Chu, who is a Senior Data Scientist at Refinitiv Labs.
- How to Rock a Virtual Data Interview - May 26, 2020.
To help you truly rock your next virtual data interview, we’ve pulled together a few tips that we recommend when conducting our online interviews for The Data Incubator’s Data Science Fellowship Program.
- Appropriately Handling Missing Values for Statistical Modelling and Prediction - May 22, 2020.
Many statisticians in industry agree that blindly imputing the missing values in your dataset is a dangerous move and should be avoided without first understanding why the data is missing in the first place.
- Coding habits for data scientists - May 14, 2020.
While the core machine learning algorithms might only take up a few lines of code, it's the rest of your program that can get messy fast. Learn about some techniques for identifying bad coding habits in ML that add to complexity in code as well as start new habits that can help partition complexity.
- Data Scientists, Corporate Fortune Tellers - May 8, 2020.
I realized that from a corporate perspective, “fortune teller” was not entirely off from the role of a “data scientist”.
- Top 10 Data Visualization Tools for Every Data Scientist - May 5, 2020.
At present, the data scientist is one of the most sought after professions. That’s one of the main reasons why we decided to cover the latest data visualization tools that every data scientist can use to make their work more effective.
- 10 Best Machine Learning Textbooks that All Data Scientists Should Read - Apr 28, 2020.
Check out these 10 books that can help data scientists and aspiring data scientists learn machine learning today.
- Find Your Perfect Fit: A Quick Guide for Job Roles in the Data World - Apr 23, 2020.
Data related positions are considered the hottest in the job market during the last couple of years. While everyone wants to join the party and enter this fascinating field, it is essential to first get an understanding. In this quick guide, I’ll do my best to dispel the confusion by crystalizing the essence of the different positions.
- Should Data Scientists Model COVID19 and other Biological Events - Apr 22, 2020.
Biostatisticians use statistical techniques that your current everyday data scientists have probably never heard of. This is a great example where lack of domain knowledge exposes you as someone that does not know what they are doing and are merely hopping on a trend.
- 4 Realistic Career Options for Data Scientists - Apr 21, 2020.
It’s almost 10 years since "Data Science" became mainstream. We ask less about how to get into Data Science, but wonder "what’s next?" This article includes insights on four non-trivial, but practical, options and their pitfalls.
- 5 Papers on CNNs Every Data Scientist Should Read - Apr 20, 2020.
In this article, we introduce 5 papers on CNNs that represent both novel approaches and baselines in the field.
- 5 Ways Data Scientists Can Help Respond to COVID-19 and 5 Actions to Avoid - Apr 6, 2020.
How can data scientists help with the COVID-19 response within their organization and more broadly? While there are many valuable and interesting opportunities to apply your skills, there can be unintended consequences even from your best attempt. So, consider this general advice for data scientists who want to help with this and any disaster response.
- Research into 1,001 Data Scientist LinkedIn Profiles, the latest - Mar 31, 2020.
What makes a data scientist today? Consider this review of data collected from three years worth of data scientist LinkedIn profiles to gain insight into how this important new career path is shaping up.
- Nine lessons learned during my first year as a Data Scientist - Mar 20, 2020.
What is it like to be a Data Scientist? There can be many hats to wear, and so many problems to solve that are fed with data, churned by data science, and guided by business results. Find out about lessons learned from one Data Scientist about how best to work and perform in the role.
- 50 Must-Read Free Books For Every Data Scientist in 2020 - Mar 9, 2020.
In this article, we are listing down some excellent data science books which cover the wide variety of topics under Data Science.
- The Augmented Scientist Part 1: Practical Application Machine Learning in Classification of SEM Images - Mar 3, 2020.
Our goal here is to see if we can build a classifier that can identify patterns in Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) images, and compare the performance of our classifier to the current state-of-the-art.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n08, Feb 26: Gartner 2020 Magic Quadrant for Data Science & Machine Learning Platforms; Will AutoML Replace Data Scientists? - Feb 26, 2020.
This week in KDnuggets: The Death of Data Scientists - will AutoML replace them?; Leaders, Changes, and Trends in Gartner 2020 Magic Quadrant for Data Science and Machine Learning Platforms; Hand labeling is the past. The future is #NoLabel AI; The Forgotten Algorithm; Getting Started with R Programming; and much, much more.
- The Death of Data Scientists – will AutoML replace them? - Feb 20, 2020.
Soon after tech giants Google and Microsoft introduced their AutoML services to the world, the popularity and interest in these services skyrocketed. We first review AutoML, compare the platforms available, and then test them out against real data scientists to answer the question: will AutoML replace us?
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n07, Feb 19: 20 AI, Data Science, Machine Learning Terms for 2020; Why Did I Reject a Data Scientist Job? - Feb 19, 2020.
This week on KDnuggets: 20 AI, Data Science, Machine Learning Terms You Need to Know in 2020; Why Did I Reject a Data Scientist Job?; Fourier Transformation for a Data Scientist; Math for Programmers; Deep Neural Networks; Practical Hyperparameter Optimization; and much more!
- Scaling the Wall Between Data Scientist and Data Engineer - Feb 17, 2020.
The educational and research focuses of machine learning tends to highlight the model building, training, testing, and optimization aspects of the data science process. To bring these models into use requires a suite of engineering feats and organization, a standard for which does not yet exist. Learn more about a framework for operating a collaborative data science and engineering team to deploy machine learning models to end-users.
- Fourier Transformation for a Data Scientist - Feb 14, 2020.
The article contains a brief intro into Fourier transformation mathematically and its applications in AI.
- Why Did I Reject a Data Scientist Job? - Feb 12, 2020.
Snagging that job as a Data Scientist might not be exactly what you were expecting. Consider this advice on carefully considering job titles with what the position might really be like day-to-day.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n05, Feb 5: How to land a Data Scientist job at your dream company; 12-Hour Machine Learning Challenge - Feb 5, 2020.
Read how one very persistent data scientist got a job at her dream company; Learn how to complete a 12 hour ML challenge; Top 10 AI, Machine Learning research papers; How to optimize your Jupyter notebook; and PyTorch FTW.
- How to land a Data Scientist job at your dream company - Jan 31, 2020.
Job hunting for anyone just starting out as a data scientist can require grit, passion, and perseverance before finding the best opportunity. Follow this career search journey to learn what it took -- and the learning resources used -- to land the dream job.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n04, Jan 29: AutoML: If you try it, you’ll like it more; The Data Science Interview Study Guide - Jan 29, 2020.
AutoML Poll results: if you try it, you'll like it more; The Data Science Interview Study Guide; What Do Data Scientists in Europe Do & How Much Are They Worth?; 2 Questions for a Junior Data Scientist
- Data Scientist Archetypes - Jan 28, 2020.
My goal here is to give you a map for navigating the sprawling terrain of data science. It’s to help you prioritize what you want to learn and what you want to do, so you don’t feel lost.
- 2 Questions for a Junior Data Scientist - Jan 24, 2020.
Academic credentials and experience with previous machine learning projects are important for kicking off a data science career. However, landing your first job out of school will require you to extend your thinking about projects and problems. Learn how one interviewer honed in on desired skills by considering these two questions.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 15-21: My Pandas Cheat Sheet; 5 Key Reasons Why Data Scientists Are Quitting their Jobs - Jan 22, 2020.
5 Key Reasons Why Data Scientists Are Quitting their Jobs; My Pandas Cheat Sheet; Google Colab: Jupyter Lab on steroids (perfect for Deep Learning); Top 5 Must-have Data Science Skills.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n03, Jan 22: I wanna be a data scientist, but… how? Top 10 Technology Trends for 2020 - Jan 22, 2020.
If you want to be a Data Scientist, but not sure how to start - there is a perfect blog for you; Baidu top 10 technology trends for 2020; Math for programmers!; The future of Machine Learning; and more.
- I wanna be a data scientist, but… how? - Jan 20, 2020.
It’s easy to say "I wanna be a data scientist," but... where do you start? How much time is needed to be desired by companies? Do you need a Master’s degree? Do you need to know every mathematical concept ever derived? The journey might be long, but follow this plan to help you keep moving forward toward your career goal.
- 3 common data science career transitions, and how to make them happen - Jan 6, 2020.
Breaking into a career in Data Science can depend on where you start. See if you fit into one of these three categories of "newbies," and then find out how to make your professional transition into the field.
- KDnuggets™ News 19:n49, Dec 27: What is a Data Scientist Worth? New Explainable AI from Google - Dec 27, 2019.
What is a Data Scientist Worth?; Google's New Explainable AI Service; The Most In Demand Tech Skills for Data Scientists; The 4 fastest ways NOT to get hired as a data scientist; and KDnuggets Cartoon which was included in a surprising textbook.
- The Most In Demand Tech Skills for Data Scientists - Dec 20, 2019.
By the end of this article you’ll know which technologies are becoming more popular with employers and which are becoming less popular.
- The 4 fastest ways NOT to get hired as a data scientist - Dec 18, 2019.
Ready to try to get hired as a data scientist for the first time? Avoiding these common mistakes won’t guarantee an offer, but not avoiding them is a sure fire way for your application to be tossed into the trash bin.
- Open Source Projects by Google, Uber and Facebook for Data Science and AI - Nov 28, 2019.
Open source is becoming the standard for sharing and improving technology. Some of the largest organizations in the world namely: Google, Facebook and Uber are open sourcing their own technologies that they use in their workflow to the public.
- The Future of Careers in Data Science & Analysis - Nov 27, 2019.
As the fields of data science and analysis continue to expand, the next crop of bright minds is always needed. Learn more about the nuances of these jobs and find where you can fit in for a rewarding and interesting career.
- KDnuggets™ News 19:n45, Nov 27: Interpretable vs black box models; Advice for New and Junior Data Scientists - Nov 27, 2019.
This week: Stop explaining black box machine learning models for high stakes decisions and use interpretable models instead; Advice for New and Junior Data Scientists; Python Tuples and Tuple Methods; Can Neural Networks Develop Attention? Google Thinks they Can; Three Methods of Data Pre-Processing for Text Classification
- Advice for New and Junior Data Scientists - Nov 22, 2019.
If you are a new Data Scientist early in your professional journey, and you’re a bit confused and lost, then follow this advice to figure out how to best contribute to your company.
- The Complete Data Science LinkedIn Profile Guide - Nov 11, 2019.
With so many Data Scientists showing up on LinkedIn, it's time to make sure your profile is top-notch because your talent is still highly sought after. Recruitment specialists want to find you fast, and this guide will help you create the best profile to feature your expertise.
- KDnuggets™ News 19:n40, Oct 23: How to Become a (Good) Data Scientist; Writing Your First Neural Net in 30 Lines with Keras - Oct 23, 2019.
Read useful advice on how to become a good data scientist; see how you can write your 1st neural net in under 30 lines of Keras code; Understand why AI salaries are heading skywards and what skills you need for them; and read about key ideas and methods in anomaly detection
- Everything a Data Scientist Should Know About Data Management - Oct 22, 2019.
For full-stack data science mastery, you must understand data management along with all the bells and whistles of machine learning. This high-level overview is a road map for the history and current state of the expansive options for data storage and infrastructure solutions.
- How to Write Web Apps Using Simple Python for Data Scientists - Oct 22, 2019.
Convert your Data Science Projects into cool apps easily without knowing any web frameworks.
- 5 Tips for Novice Freelance Data Scientists - Oct 18, 2019.
If you want to launch your data science skills into freelance work, then check out these important tips to help you kick start your next adventure in data.
- How to Become a (Good) Data Scientist – Beginner Guide - Oct 16, 2019.
A guide covering the things you should learn to become a data scientist, including the basics of business intelligence, statistics, programming, and machine learning.
- The 5 Classification Evaluation Metrics Every Data Scientist Must Know - Oct 16, 2019.
This post is about various evaluation metrics and how and when to use them.
- 6 bits of advice for Data Scientists - Sep 25, 2019.
As a data scientist, you can get lost in your daily dives into the data. Consider this advice to be certain to follow in your work for being diligent and more impactful for your organization.
- Automatic Version Control for Data Scientists - Sep 24, 2019.
How can you keep your machine learning models and data organized so you can collaborate effectively? Discover this new tool set available for better version control designed for the data scientist workflow.
- 5 Famous Deep Learning Courses/Schools of 2019 - Sep 24, 2019.
Deep Learning is/has become the hottest skill in Data Science at the moment. There is a plethora of articles, courses, technologies, influencers and resources that we can leverage to gain the Deep Learning skills.
- My journey path from a Software Engineer to BI Specialist to a Data Scientist - Sep 16, 2019.
The career path of the Data Scientist remains a hot target for many with its continuing high demand. Becoming one requires developing a broad set of skills including statistics, programming, and even business acumen. Learn more about one person's experience making this journey, and discover the many resources available to help you find your way into a world of data science.
- Classification vs Prediction - Sep 12, 2019.
It is important to distinguish prediction and classification. In many decision-making contexts, classification represents a premature decision, because classification combines prediction and decision making and usurps the decision maker in specifying costs of wrong decisions.
- KDnuggets™ News 19:n34, Sep 11: I wasn’t getting hired as a Data Scientist. So I sought data on who is - Sep 11, 2019.
How one person overcame rejections applying to Data Scientist positions by getting actual data on who is getting hired; Advice from Andrew Ng on building ML career and reading research papers; 10 Great Python resources for Data Scientists; Python Libraries for Interpretable ML.
- The 5 Graph Algorithms That Data Scientists Should Know - Sep 10, 2019.
In this post, I am going to be talking about some of the most important graph algorithms you should know and how to implement them using Python.
- 10 Great Python Resources for Aspiring Data Scientists - Sep 9, 2019.
This is a collection of 10 interesting resources in the form of articles and tutorials for the aspiring data scientist new to Python, meant to provide both insight and practical instruction when starting on your journey.
- I wasn’t getting hired as a Data Scientist. So I sought data on who is. - Sep 6, 2019.
Instead of focusing on skills thought to be required of data scientists, we can look at what they have actually done before.
- Object-oriented programming for data scientists: Build your ML estimator - Aug 30, 2019.
Implement some of the core OOP principles in a machine learning context by building your own Scikit-learn-like estimator, and making it better.
- Types of Bias in Machine Learning - Aug 29, 2019.
The sample data used for training has to be as close a representation of the real scenario as possible. There are many factors that can bias a sample from the beginning and those reasons differ from each domain (i.e. business, security, medical, education etc.)
- The secret sauce for growing from a data analyst to a data scientist - Aug 27, 2019.
Despite the increasing demand and appetite for experienced data scientists, the job is ambiguously described most of the times. Also, the delineation between data science and data analytics or engineering is still loosely defined by a lot of hiring managers.
- Top Handy SQL Features for Data Scientists - Aug 23, 2019.
Whenever we hear "data," the first thing that comes to mind is SQL! SQL comes with easy and quick to learn features to organize and retrieve data, as well as perform actions on it in order to gain useful insights.
- University of North Florida: Data Scientist [Jacksonville, FL] - Aug 21, 2019.
Seeking a Data Scientist to design, develop, and execute data analytics projects and initiatives, and deliver findings and recommendations to support the mission of the university.
- KDnuggets™ News 19:n31, Aug 21: Become a Marketable Data Scientist; Data Science Command Line Basics; Chatbots with Keras - Aug 21, 2019.
This week's news: Become More Marketable as a Data Scientist; Command Line Basics Every Data Scientist Should Know; Chatbots with Keras!; Understanding Cancer using Machine Learning; Statistical Modelling vs Machine Learning; Is Kaggle Learn a "Faster Data Science Education?"; and much more!
- How to Become More Marketable as a Data Scientist - Aug 16, 2019.
As a data scientist, you are in high demand. So, how can you increase your marketability even more? Check out these current trends in skills most desired by employers in 2019.
- Waste Management: Data Scientist [Houston, TX] - Aug 6, 2019.
Waste Management is seeking a Data Scientist in Houston, TX, to support their digital marketing, customer and other business segment teams with insights gained from analyzing customer data.
- P-values Explained By Data Scientist - Jul 30, 2019.
This article is designed to give you a full picture from constructing a hypothesis testing to understanding p-value and using that to guide our decision making process.
- Top 13 Skills To Become a Rockstar Data Scientist - Jul 26, 2019.
Education, coding, SQL, big data platforms, storytelling and more. These are the 13 skills you need to master to become a rockstar data scientist.
- Easy, One-Click Jupyter Notebooks - Jul 24, 2019.
All of the setup for software, networking, security, and libraries is automatically taken care of by the Saturn Cloud system. Data Scientists can then focus on the actual Data Science and not the tedious infrastructure work that falls around it
- Bottomline Technologies: Data Scientist [Portsmouth, NH] - Jul 17, 2019.
Bottomline Technologies is seeking a Data Scientist in Portsmouth, NH. Join a newly established predictive and advanced analytics team to build innovative analytics solutions to solve problems in financial industry.
- How to Build Disruptive Data Science Teams: 10 Best Practices - Jul 16, 2019.
Building a data science team from the ground up isn't easy. This strategic roadmap will help hiring managers with tactical advice and how to properly support a data science team once established.
- McKinsey: Data Scientist [Wroclaw, Poland] - Jul 15, 2019.
McKinsey is seeking a Data Scientist in Wroclaw, Poland, to work with McKinsey clients and consulting teams to carry out complex data analysis and modeling, creating a foundation for sound recommendations for client studies and internal projects.
- Wake Forest University: Data Scientist, Institutional Research [Winston Salem, NC] - Jul 11, 2019.
Seeking a Data Scientist to play a key role in the discovery of knowledge and insights through quantitative and qualitative research for the success of Wake Forest University (WFU).
- Aliya: Data Scientist [New York, NY] - Jul 10, 2019.
Seeking a data scientist to be responsible for assisting with the development of Aliya’s state-of-the-art, advanced analytical machine-learning-based software framework that can ingest, structure and model large amounts of data in different formats and from different sources.
- What’s wrong with the approach to Data Science? - Jul 10, 2019.
The job ‘Data Scientist’ has been around for decades, it was just not called “Data Scientist”. Statisticians have used their knowledge and skills using machine learning techniques such as Logistic Regression and Random Forest for prediction and insights for longer than people actually realize.
- KDnuggets™ News 19:n25, Jul 10: 5 Probability Distributions for Data Scientists; What the Machine Learning Engineer Job is Really Like - Jul 10, 2019.
This edition of the KDnuggets newsletter is double-sized after taking the holiday week off. Learn about probability distributions every data scientist should know, what the machine learning engineering job is like, making the most money with the least amount of risk, the difference between NLP and NLU, get a take on Nvidia's new data science workstation, and much, much more.