- 3 Most Important Lessons I’ve Learned 3 Years Into My Data Science Career - Sep 13, 2021.
After only 3 years of working as a data professional, many tried-and-true lessons can be learned. Here are 3 of the most important lessons learned with key takeaways and reflections shared.
Career, Career Advice, Communication, Data Science, Data Science Skills
- Speeding up data understanding by interactive exploration - Aug 19, 2021.
A key success factor of data science projects is to understand the data well. This blog explains why coding can be inefficient for this and how you can improve.
Communication, Data Exploration, Data Visualization, Visplore
- 5 Lessons McKinsey Taught Me That Will Make You a Better Data Scientist - Jul 1, 2021.
How to stand out from your peers in the data world.
Career Advice, Communication, Data Science, Data Science Skills, Data Scientist, McKinsey
- Data storytelling: brains are built for visuals, but hearts turn on stories - Jun 17, 2021.
Today, we need much more than just numbers about our organization to understand, gain insights, and take relevant actions. While visualizations of the data are important, making an emotional connection with the stories behind the data is key. If you want to sell a story, send a missile to the heart.
Business Analytics, Communication, Data Visualization, Storytelling
- How a Data Scientist Should Communicate with Stakeholders - Jun 3, 2021.
Effective and collaborative communication with stakeholders is a skill that can help you survive in your role as a Data Scientist at your organization. Learn how to master this interaction, and you will perform your job better, see improved outcomes from your projects, and grow in your capabilities and career.
Advice, Communication, Data Science Skills, Data Scientist
- These Soft Skills Can Make or Break Your Data Science Career - May 25, 2021.
In an industry long ruled by hard skills, the future career success of tomorrow’s data scientists might well depend on their ability to deploy a variety of soft skills into the workplace.
Career Advice, Communication, Data Science, Data Science Skills, Decision Making
- People Skills for Analytical Thinkers - Feb 19, 2021.
Research shows that people skills are becoming more important with the rise of AI. A great way to boost these skills is by reading the new book: People Skills for Analytical Thinkers.
Analytics, Book, Communication, Data Science, Data Science Skills
- 6 Things About Data Science that Employers Don’t Want You to Know - Dec 14, 2020.
As is the potential for any "trending hot" career, the reality of a position in the field may not be all that you initially expected. Data Science is no exception, and being still a young field, its evolving definition can offer some surprises that you should know about before accepting that dream offer.
Business, Career Advice, Communication, Data Science, Data Scientist, SQL
- How Data Scientists Can Avoid ‘Lost in Translation’ Syndrome When Communicating With Management - Nov 20, 2020.
When it comes to data science projects, the disconnect between business executives and data teams can lead to major tension. Keeping these challenges from arising in the first place through effective communication will help reduce friction with stakeholders.
Career, Career Advice, Communication, Data Science Skills, Data Scientist
- Is Data Science for Me? 14 Self-examination Questions to Consider - Nov 17, 2020.
You are intrigued by this exciting new field of Data Science, and you think you want in on the action. The demand remains very high and the salaries are strong. Before taking the leap onto this path, these questions will help you evaluate if you are ready for the challenges and opportunities.
Career Advice, Communication, Data Science, Data Science Skills, Jobs, Salary
- Modern Data Science Skills: 8 Categories, Core Skills, and Hot Skills - Sep 8, 2020.
We analyze the results of the Data Science Skills poll, including 8 categories of skills, 13 core skills that over 50% of respondents have, the emerging/hot skills that data scientists want to learn, and what is the top skill that Data Scientists want to learn.
Communication, Data Preparation, Data Science Skills, Data Visualization, Excel, GitHub, Mathematics, Poll, Python, Reinforcement Learning, scikit-learn, SQL, Statistics
- These Data Science Skills will be your Superpower - Aug 20, 2020.
Learning data science means learning the hard skills of statistics, programming, and machine learning. To complete your training, a broader set of soft skills will round out your capabilities as an effective and successful professional Data Scientist.
Communication, Data Preparation, Data Science Skills, Data Visualization, Mathematics, Statistics
- 7 Signs you are data literate - Jul 13, 2020.
Understanding data is key to being a Data Scientist. But, how can you know if you might be a good fit for the field when you haven't worked with much data? These telltale signs will suggest you are competent to work with data, and that you might have a talent for being data literate.
Advice, Career, Communication, Data Scientist
- 12 Things I Learned During My First Year as a Machine Learning Engineer - Jul 23, 2019.
Learn about the day-in-the-life of one machine learning engineer and the important lessons learned for being successful in that role.
Advice, Best Practices, Communication, Machine Learning Engineer, Skills
- Learn How to Listen: One of the hardest parts of being a data scientist - Feb 15, 2019.
Listen, Be Humble, Be Present and Transform ideas. A Data Scientist will spend a large amount of their time in meetings where you can understand the business, the goals of the area, their KPIs, and their requirements.
Advice, Career, Communication, Data Science
- How to Get Stuff Done at a Data Startup - Oct 13, 2016.
This post is a followup to how to structure data science teams, with a focus on how we get stuff done. The same principles we follow can be applied at your data startup or data science team.
Communication, Data Science Team, Startup
- Storytelling: The Power to Influence in Data Science - Jul 6, 2016.
Data scientists need to share results, which is different than talking shop with other data scientists. Read about influencing people and telling stories as a data scientist.
Communication, Data Science, Storytelling
- Interview: Brian Kursar, Toyota on Big Data & Advanced Analytics – Cornerstones of Innovation - Jul 28, 2015.
We discuss the Big Data architecture at Toyota, executives’ perception of Analytics, Toyota Innovation Fair, advice, trends, and more.
Advanced Analytics, Big Data, Brian Kursar, Career, Communication, Innovation, Interview, Toyota
- Interview: Rachel Hawley, SAS on Why Data Science Needs Communication Skills - Feb 4, 2015.
We discuss SAS Analytics Center of Excellence, trends, advice, desired skills in data science and more.
Advice, Communication, Data Science, Hiring, Rachel Hawley, SAS, Skills, Trends
- Human Dynamics – Data Mining Mobile Phone Usage - May 6, 2014.
Mobile phone usage contains a gold mine of insights. We examine what was learned about human social connections from the first-ever extensive study of social interactions in Mexico.
Algorithms, Carlos Sarraute, Communication, Data Mining, Phone Usage