- How Data Scientists Can Avoid ‘Lost in Translation’ Syndrome When Communicating With Management - Nov 20, 2020.
When it comes to data science projects, the disconnect between business executives and data teams can lead to major tension. Keeping these challenges from arising in the first place through effective communication will help reduce friction with stakeholders.
- Is Data Science for Me? 14 Self-examination Questions to Consider - Nov 17, 2020.
You are intrigued by this exciting new field of Data Science, and you think you want in on the action. The demand remains very high and the salaries are strong. Before taking the leap onto this path, these questions will help you evaluate if you are ready for the challenges and opportunities.
- Data Science Minimum: 10 Essential Skills You Need to Know to Start Doing Data Science - Oct 1, 2020.
Data science is ever-evolving, so mastering its foundational technical and soft skills will help you be successful in a career as a Data Scientist, as well as pursue advance concepts, such as deep learning and artificial intelligence.
- Modern Data Science Skills: 8 Categories, Core Skills, and Hot Skills - Sep 8, 2020.
We analyze the results of the Data Science Skills poll, including 8 categories of skills, 13 core skills that over 50% of respondents have, the emerging/hot skills that data scientists want to learn, and what is the top skill that Data Scientists want to learn.
- These Data Science Skills will be your Superpower - Aug 20, 2020.
Learning data science means learning the hard skills of statistics, programming, and machine learning. To complete your training, a broader set of soft skills will round out your capabilities as an effective and successful professional Data Scientist.
- 7 Signs you are data literate - Jul 13, 2020.
Understanding data is key to being a Data Scientist. But, how can you know if you might be a good fit for the field when you haven't worked with much data? These telltale signs will suggest you are competent to work with data, and that you might have a talent for being data literate.
- 12 Things I Learned During My First Year as a Machine Learning Engineer - Jul 23, 2019.
Learn about the day-in-the-life of one machine learning engineer and the important lessons learned for being successful in that role.
- Learn How to Listen: One of the hardest parts of being a data scientist - Feb 15, 2019.
Listen, Be Humble, Be Present and Transform ideas. A Data Scientist will spend a large amount of their time in meetings where you can understand the business, the goals of the area, their KPIs, and their requirements.
- How to Get Stuff Done at a Data Startup - Oct 13, 2016.
This post is a followup to how to structure data science teams, with a focus on how we get stuff done. The same principles we follow can be applied at your data startup or data science team.
- Storytelling: The Power to Influence in Data Science - Jul 6, 2016.
Data scientists need to share results, which is different than talking shop with other data scientists. Read about influencing people and telling stories as a data scientist.
- Interview: Brian Kursar, Toyota on Big Data & Advanced Analytics – Cornerstones of Innovation - Jul 28, 2015.
We discuss the Big Data architecture at Toyota, executives’ perception of Analytics, Toyota Innovation Fair, advice, trends, and more.
- Interview: Rachel Hawley, SAS on Why Data Science Needs Communication Skills - Feb 4, 2015.
We discuss SAS Analytics Center of Excellence, trends, advice, desired skills in data science and more.
- Human Dynamics – Data Mining Mobile Phone Usage - May 6, 2014.
Mobile phone usage contains a gold mine of insights. We examine what was learned about human social connections from the first-ever extensive study of social interactions in Mexico.