- NoSQL Explained: Understanding Key-Value Databases - Apr 8, 2021.
Among the four big NoSQL database types, key-value stores are probably the most popular ones due to their simplicity and fast performance. Let’s further explore how key-value stores work and what are their practical uses.
- MongoDB in the Cloud: Three Solutions for 2021 - Mar 26, 2021.
An overview of pricing and compatibility for MongoDB Atlas, AWS DocumentDB, Azure Cosmos DB.
- Understanding NoSQL Document Databases - Mar 9, 2021.
Out of all the NoSQL database types, document-stores are considered the most sophisticated ones. They store data in a JSON format which as opposed to a classic rows and columns structure.
- 9 Skills You Need to Become a Data Engineer - Mar 4, 2021.
A data engineer is a fast-growing profession with amazing challenges and rewards. Which skills do you need to become a data engineer? In this post, we’ll take a look at both hard and soft skills.
- Understanding Graph Databases - Feb 26, 2021.
Between the four main NoSQL database types, graph databases are widely appreciated for their application in handling large sets of unstructured data coming from various sources. Let’s talk about how graph databases work and what are their practical uses.
- Understanding Column-Oriented Databases - Feb 12, 2021.
NoSQL Databases have four distinct types. Key-value stores, document-stores, graph databases, and column-oriented databases. In this article, we’ll explore column-oriented databases, also known simply as “NoSQL columns”.
- 8 New Tools I Learned as a Data Scientist in 2020 - Jan 14, 2021.
The author shares the data science tools learned while making the move from Docker to Live Deployments.
- KDnuggets™ News 21:n01, Jan 6: All machine learning algorithms you should know in 2021; Monte Carlo integration in Python; MuZero – the most important ML system ever created? - Jan 6, 2021.
The first issue in 2021 brings you a great blog about Monte Carlo Integration - in Python; An overview of main Machine Learning algorithms you need to know in 2021; SQL vs NoSQL: 7 Key Takeaways; Generating Beautiful Neural Network Visualizations - how to; MuZero - may be the most important Machine Learning system ever created; and much more!
- SQL vs NoSQL: 7 Key Takeaways - Dec 23, 2020.
People assume that NoSQL is a counterpart to SQL. Instead, it’s a different type of database designed for use-cases where SQL is not ideal. The differences between the two are many, although some are so crucial that they define both databases at their cores.
- NoSQL for Beginners - Dec 2, 2020.
NoSQL can offer an advantage to those who are entering Data Science and Analytics, as well as having applications with high-performance needs that aren’t met by traditional SQL databases.
- How to Acquire the Most Wanted Data Science Skills - Nov 13, 2020.
We recently surveyed KDnuggets readers to determine the "most wanted" data science skills. Since they seem to be those most in demand from practitioners, here is a collection of resources for getting started with this learning.
- YouTube videos on database management, SQL, Datawarehousing, Business Intelligence, OLAP, Big Data, NoSQL databases, data quality, data governance and Analytics – free - May 18, 2018.
Watch over 20 hours of YouTube videos on databases and database design, Physical Data Storage, Transaction Management and Database Access, and Data Warehousing, Data Governance and (Big) Data Analytics - all free.
- To SQL or not To SQL: that is the question! - May 7, 2018.
This article looks at the emergence of the NoSQL movement and compares it to a traditional relational database.
- Loading Terabytes of Data from Postgres into BigQuery - Apr 9, 2018.
Despite the fact that an ETL task is pretty challenging when it comes to loading Big Data, there’s still the scenario in which you can load terabytes of data from Postgres into BigQuery relatively easy and very efficiently.
- Updates & Upserts in Hadoop Ecosystem with Apache Kudu - Oct 27, 2017.
A new open source Apache Hadoop ecosystem project, Apache Kudu completes Hadoop's storage layer to enable fast analytics on fast data.
- 42 Steps to Mastering Data Science - Aug 25, 2017.
This post is a collection of 6 separate posts of 7 steps a piece, each for mastering and better understanding a particular data science topic, with topics ranging from data preparation, to machine learning, to SQL databases, to NoSQL and beyond.
- Grunion, Query Optimization Tool for Data Science and Big Data - Mar 14, 2017.
Grunion is a patent-pending query optimization, translation, and federation framework built to help bridge the gap between data science and data engineering teams. Read more to request access.
- Discover the new Modern Data Science Academy - Jan 17, 2017.
The Modern Data Science Academy provides state-of-the-art workshops taught by San Diego Supercomputer Center experts. Coming workshops on Machine Learning (Feb 8-9) and NoSQL Databases (Mar 1-2).
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n28, Aug 3: Data Science Stats 101; Understanding NoSQL Databases; Core of Data Science - Aug 3, 2016.
Data Science Statistics 101; 7 Steps to Understanding NoSQL Databases; The Core of Data Science; Data Science for Beginners 2: Is your data ready?
- Database Key Terms, Explained - Jul 28, 2016.
Interested in a survey of important database concepts and terminology? This post defines 16 essential database key terms concisely and accurately.
Pages: 1 2
- 7 Steps to Understanding NoSQL Databases - Jul 27, 2016.
Are you a newcomer to NoSQL, interested in gaining a real understanding of the technologies and architectures it includes? This post is for you.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n21, Jun 15: What Big Data, Data Science tools go together? Oppys for Machine Learning Startups - Jun 15, 2016.
What Big Data, Data Science, Deep Learning software goes together? Opportunities for Machine Learning Startups; Top NoSQL Database Engines; How Do You Identify the Right Data Scientist for Your Team?
- Top NoSQL Database Engines - Jun 10, 2016.
An overview of the top 5 NoSQL database engines in use today, including examples of key-value, column-oriented, graph, and document paradigms.
- Which Database is best for an Analyst? - Dec 10, 2015.
Database comparisons usually look at architecture, cost, scalability, and speed, but rarely address the other key factor: how hard is writing queries for these databases? We examine which of the top 8 databases are easiest to use.
Pages: 1 2
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 27 – Nov 02: A Framework for Distributed Deep Learning Layer Design in Python - Nov 3, 2015.
A Framework for Distributed #DeepLearning Layer Design in Python; SQL vs. NoSQL- What You Need to Know; Great Tutorial: A Neural Network in 11 lines of #Python; Data Scientist - 2nd Best IT and Engineering Job.
- InformationWeek 9 NoSQL Pioneers Who Modernized Data Management - Sep 7, 2015.
The age of Big Data wouldn’t have been possible without these NoSQL. Learn more about NoSQL Pioneers, who changed the data landscape and revolutionized the big data movement.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Jul 28 and beyond - Jul 27, 2015.
Integrating Customer Data at Scale, Drilling Insights Out of Big and Fast Data, Influencer Marketing, Apache Spark, and more.
- Big Data – yes, that’s what a latest Sensational Rap Music Video is all about - Jul 16, 2015.
Music video featuring Big Data and Hadoop (and Map-Reduce and NoSQL) might be all you need to light up your day!
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 27 – May 3: Attack of the #BigData Startups; Data Science from Scratch: First Principles with Python - May 4, 2015.
DataScience from Scratch: First Principles with Python; Attack of the #BigData Startups - @cbinsights maps the industries; Not accurate, but #fun ! See how old Microsoft thinks you are; US Chief Data Scientist @dpatil on #DataScience #BigData past and future.
- NoSQL matters, great fun and tech nerdity, Dublin, June 4 - May 4, 2015.
NoSQL matters provides a opportunity to network with leading NoSQL experts from all around the world. Also, enter a raffle for a KDnuggets free ticket.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin: Day 3 Highlights - Apr 24, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data and Analytics leaders/consultants on day 3 of Big Data Bootcamp in Austin.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin: Day 2 Highlights - Apr 23, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data and Analytics leaders/consultants on day 2 of Big Data Bootcamp in Austin.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin: Day 1 Highlights - Apr 22, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data and Analytics leaders/consultants on day 1 of Big Data Bootcamp 2015 in Austin.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Mar 24 and beyond - Mar 24, 2015.
Addressing the Challenges of Data Variety, Semantic Publishing, How to scale faster with NoSQL, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Disrupting Traditional Analyst Workflows, and more.
- NoSQL matters Paris, a conference for developers, architects and geeks, Mar 26-27 - Mar 10, 2015.
An opportunity to network with leading NoSQL experts from all over the world, enjoy mind blowing talks or simply have loads of fun hacking away with other participants in Paris, 26-27 Mar 2015.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin, Apr 10-12 - Jan 22, 2015.
A fast paced, vendor agnostic, technical overview of the Big Data landscape targeted towards technical and business people who want to understand the emerging world of Big Data. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 12-18: Dilbert looks at #analytics of #dating and A/B testing; Deep Learning and Human Beings - Jan 19, 2015.
Dilbert looks at #analytics of #dating and A/B testing; A Deep Dive into Recurrent Neural Nets #DeepLearning; Great read: #Visualizing Representations: #DeepLearning and Human Beings; 9 Lessons: Picking the Right #NoSQL Tools.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 12-13: Dilbert on analytics of #dating and A/B testing; Convolutional Neural Nets (LeNet) - Jan 14, 2015.
Dilbert looks at #analytics of #dating and A/B testing; 9 Lessons: Picking the Right #NoSQL Tools; How Google Will Know If You're Lying - with semantic search and #BigData; 10 Big Data Experts to Know.
- Top stories for Dec 14-20: Most Demanded Data Science/Data Mining Skills; Watson Analytics vs. Azure Machine Learning - Dec 21, 2014.
Most Demanded Data Science and Data Mining Skills; IBM Watson Analytics vs. Microsoft Azure Machine Learning; Cartoon: Unexpected Data Science Recommendations; 16 NoSQL, NewSQL Databases To Watch.
- Interview: Peter Alvaro, UC Berkeley, on Consistency Challenge in Distributed Systems - Dec 17, 2014.
We discuss the performance limitations caused by treating datastore as black box, consistency as an application-level property, Dedalus and LDFI approach for testing.
- 16 NoSQL, NewSQL Databases To Watch - Dec 15, 2014.
NoSQL and NewSQL databases have become much more important with the proliferation of big, mobile, and networked data, and these sixteen database solutions are some of the biggest up-and-comers.
- KDnuggets Interview: Paul Zikopoulos, IBM on Why Big Data needs Polyglots - Dec 13, 2014.
We discuss why not to focus on a single technology in Big Data, prevalent myths, what IBM & Twitter partnership means for the world, and current state of data governance.
- SlamData Open Source Analytics Tool for MongoDB - Dec 4, 2014.
SlamData is an open source SQL-based tool designed to make accessing data in MongoDB easy for developers and non-developers alike with the goal of making application intelligence easier.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Dec 2 and beyond - Dec 1, 2014.
NoSQL Database Architecture, Big Data Use Cases, IBM Watson Analytics, The 2015 Predictions, Big Data Landscape, and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Nov 25 and beyond - Nov 24, 2014.
Social Media to Actionable Insights, NoSQL and Big Data in the Government, NoSQL Database Architecture, All-vs-All: Correlation Using Spark/Hadoop, The 2015 Analytics Predictions Webinar, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 5-6: Free access to Microsoft Azure Machine Learning; 2 ways Big Data can make us happier - Nov 7, 2014.
Good news for Data Scientists! Free access to Microsoft Azure Machine Learning; 100 Years of Computer Science and 10 academic papers that changed computing; Internet Saturated Nations; For every job-seeker in #BigData sector there are 3.6 jobs.
- Wikibon Big Data Capital Markets Day – Big Data NYC 2014 - Oct 30, 2014.
One of the biggest events at Big Data NYC 2014 was the insightful presentation by Jeff Kelly from WikiBon. We provide here the key takeaways.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 29-30: Machine learning #cheatsheet; Can you find McDonald faster than a computer? - Oct 1, 2014.
Machine learning #cheatsheet on github; Great list of resources on Cloud Computing, #BigData; Excellent (but scary) demo: Can you find the nearest McDonald faster than a computer? Top 10 presentations about data science / #BigData on SlideShare.
- Dear CIO, what you have is NOT a Data Lake - Jul 17, 2014.
Data Lakes are often the ideal structure of a company's big data, but the reality is that data is often split into data puddles. Xurmo seeks to eliminate this by integrating Data Virtualization into the Data Lake.
- 100 Big Data Companies Analyzed - Jun 29, 2014.
We analyze the CRN Big Data 100 for insights into trends in the future of Big Data companies, including changes in database solutions, active regions, and what industries are undergoing the most change right now.
- CRN 25 Big Data Management Companies - Jun 26, 2014.
We examine top 25 Big Data Management companies, part of CRN Big Data 100, including Actian, Couchbase, and MemSQL. A large fraction of these companies develop NoSQL solutions.
- Poll Results: Data Types/Sources Analyzed - May 17, 2014.
Trends in data sources for data mining include: table data dominates, followed by time series and text; audio, JSON grows in popularity, while itemsets decline; 70% access DB engines, but only 20% access NoSQL stores; Hadoop, MongoDB used more for text; Europe is lagging in NoSQL usage.
- Uppd8: An Engine for the Wisdom of Crowds - May 15, 2014.
What people think matters. Uppd8 focuses on crowd sentiment analysis and provides tag-scored data based on different user types. Basic services will be provided for free.
- Exclusive Interview: Michael Brodie, Leading Database Researcher, Industry Leader, Thinker - Apr 21, 2014.
We discuss the most important database research advances, industry developments, role of relational, NoSQL, Graph databases, Computing Reality, and more.