ChatGPT for Beginners
List of best crash courses for ChatGPT.
Image from Unsplash
- ChatGPT is a chatbot launched by the OpenAI project in November 2022
- ChatGPT is one of the most popular NPL (natural language processing) AI system
- Despite the increase in its popularity, ChatGPT is still unknown to many people
- This free crash course from Adrian Twarog will help you learn the foundations of ChatGPT
ChatGPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) is a chatbot launched by the OpenAI project in November 2022. A chatbot is a software used to conduct an on-line chat conversation via text or text-to-speech, in lieu of providing direct contact with a live human agent. ChatGPT is trained using reinforcement learning and NLP (natural language processing) to assist with generating human-like text based on the input prompt provided by the user.
Examples of user prompts are:
- Write a one-page letter explaining to a pregnant patient about the risks of a head CT scan
- Write a one-page essay on COVID-19
- Write an essay on artificial intelligence
- I want to cook some seafood today, can you give me 10 dishes as options?
The last prompt produces an output such as:
- Shrimp and grits
- Salmon burgers
- Clam chowder
- Lobster roll
- Cajun shrimp and rice
- Crab cakes
- Garlic shrimp pasta
- Fish tacos
- Seaford jumbo
- Grilled salmon and vegetables
A follow up prompt could be: “What are the steps for preparing shrimp and grits?”
ChatGPT Crash Course for Beginners
ChatGPT Crash Course for Beginners by Adrian Twarog is a free crash course on chatGPT. This course is a very popular course on chatGPT and has been viewed about 1.5 million times over the past 4 weeks. First, you will be introduced to the OpenAI platform, and you’ll learn how to setup a personal account on the OpenAI platform. Then you will learn the basics of chatGPT, including its capabilities and limitations. Then, you will learn more advanced ways of using chatGPT, for example for writing an essay, writing a blog, writing a research article, cover letters, resume (or CV), translation of text, editing of text, etc.
Directly from its website, here is what the course promises to cover:
- ChatGPT Details
- How to use Prompts
- Shopping List
- Java Script
- Errors with ChatGPT
- Short Story
- Text Video Game
- Legal and Copyright Templates
- Jokes and Humor
- Cover Letters and Resumes
- Summarization and Keyword Extraction
- Blogging Articles and Editing
Another useful tutorial on chatbots in general can be found from this free IBM Technology crash course: What is a Chatbot?
Here are the topics you will learn:
- What are chatbots?
- How do they work?
- Do chatbots only operate on websites, or are there other mediums that a chatbot can facilitate a conversation?
- And why would anyone want to use a chatbot?
In summary, we’ve shared some resources for learning the basics of chatGPT. Chatbots will continue to become more and more popular as AI makes its way into our daily lives. When using chatGPT, be careful to understand its capabilities and limitations, since the output from chatGPT could sometimes be incorrect and misleading. Also make sure to provide useful feedback by upvoting or downvoting the response that chatGPT outputs for a given prompt. This would enable chatGPT to continue to reinforce its ability to generate reliable human-text outputs.
Benjamin O. Tayo is a Physicist, Data Science Educator, and Writer, as well as the Owner of DataScienceHub. Previously, Benjamin was teaching Engineering and Physics at U. of Central Oklahoma, Grand Canyon U., and Pittsburgh State U.