Studies have shown that only 1% or less of total users click on privacy policies, and those that do rarely actually read them. The GDPR requires clear succinct explanations and explicit consent, but that’s not the situation on the ground right now, and it’s hard to see that changing overnight on May 25th.
- Data Science Governance - Why does it matter? Why now? - Jul 10, 2017.
Everyone is talking about GDPR, Data Governance and Data Privacy, these days. Here we discuss what is it and why does it matter.
- Anonymization and the Future of Data Science - Apr 11, 2017.
This post walks the reader through a real-world example of a "linkage" attack to demonstrate the limits of data anonymization. New privacy regulation, most notably the GDPR, are making it increasingly difficult to maintain a balance between privacy and utility.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 14-20: Why we need #DataScience: brain wont let us see 12 black dots at intersection - Sep 21, 2016.
Why we need #DataScience: brain won't let us see 12 black dots at intersections; #Blurring sensitive info no longer safe! #MachineLearning can recover originals ;Pokemon Go Data; The #NeuralNetwork Zoo - Great chart of different configurations.
- Can Data Mining Extract Value from your Personal Data (and should you get a piece of the action?) - Sep 2, 2015.
There are industries made out of the personal data, but content providers don’t get their share. What if you are presented with the opportunity to sell your personal data for financial benefits? Find out more by taking the survey from datamilk.
- Data Science’s Most Used, Confused, and Abused Jargon - Feb 10, 2015.
As data science has spread through the mainstream, so too has a dense vocabulary of ill-defined jargon. In a split-personality post, we offer several perspectives on many of data science's most confused terms.
- KDnuggets 14:n28, Top Data Science methodology; Big Data Halloween costume - Oct 29, 2014.
KDnuggets latest stories, including: CRISP-DM, still the top methodology for analytics, data science; Cartoon: Halloween Costume for Big Data; Will Deep Learning take over Machine Learning? DM radio with KDnuggets, Oct 30.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 1-2 - Sep 3, 2014.
#DataMining Reddit using Python and R #rstats; Is @TheEconomist wrong? Money does "buy" happiness, on the log-log scale; Facebook Data Scientists: Who Are They and What Do They Do; Online Master of Science in Data Science.
- White House Report on Big Data: Opportunities and Values - May 9, 2014.
We summarize the key findings in the recently released White House report on Big Data, highlight the key opportunities and concerns, and list the recommendations made to the President.
- MassTLC Big Data Meeting Delivers Insights, Perspective - May 8, 2014.
Summit highlights: Digitization and Datification - a love story, Strategies for creating a competitive advantage in #BigData world, Boston open data, Balancing privacy and governance, and the most widely used #BigData tool in the future.
- Interview: Michael Brodie on Industry Lessons, Knowledge Discovery, and Future Trends - May 6, 2014.
The last part of our exclusive interview focuses on Industry Lessons, Knowledge Discovery, Privacy Issues, Expected Technical Developments in next 5 years and more.
- White House-MIT Big Data Privacy Workshop – Top Researcher Reports - Mar 27, 2014.
Leading database researcher Michael Brodie gives a summary of an important White House-MIT Big Data Privacy workshop and discusses privacy, government, technical solutions, Edward Snowden, SXSW, and technical challenges associated with big data and privacy.