KDnuggets™ News 13:n07, Mar 14
Features (7) | Software (5) | Webcasts (3) | Courses, Events (2) | Meetings (1) | Jobs (4) | Academic (1) | Publications (5) | Tweets (3) | NewsBriefs (1) | CFP (8) | Quote
- New Poll: Should there be a Data Scientist Pledge? - Mar 13, 2013.
Many professions have a pledge as a rite of passage for new graduates, and ACM is currently discussing The Pledge of the Computing Professional. Should there be a Data Scientist pledge and what should it contain?
- McDowell Interview: PASS Business Analytics Conference, Microsoft Data Mining - Mar 13, 2013.
I interviewed Douglas McDowell about the PASS Business Analytics Conference, SQL Server, Microsoft Data Mining, less known but useful features of SQL, Big Data and more.
- Data Science Code of Professional Conduct and "Golden Rule" - Mar 11, 2013.
We look at the proposed Data Science Code of Professional Conduct and nominate a "Golden Rule" which summarizes the data scientist ethic.
- Siegel Predictive Analytics Book Free Online Training - Mar 13, 2013.
To build awareness of Eric Siegel's new, acclaimed book, "Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie, or Die", we're providing an offer you can't refuse.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World San Francisco and $3 Million Heritage Prize - Mar 13, 2013.
The results of $3 Million Heritage Health Prize to develop an algorithm to predict and prevent unnecessary hospitalizations will be revealed at PAW San Francisco, April 14-19, 2013.
- Tableau Visualization Software Free to Students - Mar 9, 2013.
Students can get a free access to Tableau, a leading Data Visualization software system.
- Top news for Mar 3-9: Salary/Income of Analytics Pros; Strata 2013 Highlights; SPMF: Sequential Pattern Mining Framework - Mar 10, 2013.
Salary/Income of Analytics/Data Mining/Data Science professionals; Strata Conference Reports and Highlights; SPMF: Sequential Pattern Mining Framework; Top jobs: Data Scientist at Media6Degrees; PhD Candidate in Customer Analytics, Lille/Paris, France;
- IBM SPSS Statistics Products Overview - Mar 13, 2013.
IBM SPSS Statistics has all of the tools you need to solve challenges and seize new opportunities - whether you're a business analyst, statistician or researcher. Watch the demo.
- IBM: 5 limitations of spreadsheet analysis - Mar 13, 2013.
Learn about some of the limitations of spreadsheets and how IBM SPSS Statistics software overcomes those limitations.
- SFBayACM talk: GraphLab framework for Machine Learning in the Cloud - Mar 10, 2013.
Watch this SFBay ACM presentation by Carlos Guestrin to learn about GraphLab framework, which naturally expresses graph computations key for machine learning on Big Data. On many large-scale tasks, GraphLab provides 20-100x performance improvements over Hadoop.
- NICAR13 Data Driven Journalism Presentations, Tutorials - Mar 9, 2013.
Here are some of the most useful presentations and tutorials for data scientists, from NICAR13, a conference that brings together some of the sharpest minds and most experienced hands in investigative journalism.
- SPMF: Sequential Pattern Mining Framework - Mar 9, 2013.
SPMF is an open-source, sequential pattern mining framework in Java, with over 50 data mining algorithms for sequential pattern mining, association rule mining, frequent itemset mining, sequential rule mining, and clustering.
- On-Demand Webcast: Analytically Speaking, WildTrack and Duke University - Mar 13, 2013.
See how WildTrack is monitoring endangered species via cutting-edge data analysis techniques, and learn how to better visualize medical, forensic or any other type of imaging data.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Mar 20] - Mar 13, 2013.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is March 20.
- Salford: The Evolution of Regression Free, Hands-on Webinar Series, Mar 15, 29, Apr 12 - Mar 11, 2013.
Regression is a key analytics tool - learn the latest in upcoming free webinar series: The Evolution of Regression - From Classical Linear Regression to Modern Ensembles
- TMA Courses in Data Analytics [Apr: Las Vegas, May: Washington, DC] - Mar 13, 2013.
Get up to speed in data mining faster and more effectively than with any other training program available. Next courses in Las Vegas and Washington, DC.
- Data Mining Best Practices Course, Chicago, New York - Mar 12, 2013.
Data Mining: Principles and Best Practices course (April in Chicago, May in NYC), will share valuable practical advice from years of real-world experience and show how to properly build reliable predictive models and interpret your results with confidence.
- Sentiment Analysis Symposium, New York, May 8, 2013 - Mar 12, 2013.
Attend the leading event on social media and social intelligence for customer experience, finance, healthcare, market research, and media applications. Special discount for KDnuggets subscribers.
- Data Scientist at Qubit, London, UK - Mar 8, 2013.
Help us develop predictive algorithms for our platform which aims to personalize web sites, and conduct cutting-edge research into consumer behaviour on the web.
- Advanced Analytics Manager at Deloitte, Open in US - Mar 8, 2013.
Responsible for structuring and executing strategic projects and analyses across the firm, focused on developing and managing complex analytical modeling projects.
- Sr. Research Scientist - Cloud Research, Big Data Analytics at Samsung Research America, San Jose, CA - Mar 8, 2013.
A talented and creative Senior Research Scientist to lead research in big data analytics that will scale to problems in a cloud infrastructure environment.
- Data Scientist at Media6Degrees, New York, NY - Mar 7, 2013.
Media6Degrees (m6d) delivers digital ad solutions to hundreds of major brand marketers by capturing the power of web-wide data to generate their best next customer prospects. Interact closely with the data science and business teams on the development of core technologies, design and execute assessments and other analyses.
- Data Science for Social Good Summer Fellowship at UChicago, Chicago, IL - Mar 12, 2013.
The goal of this program is to train future leaders in data science to work on data-intensive social problems including education, healthcare, energy, transportation, and crime prevention. The fellowship advisory team is led by Eric Schmidt (Google) and Rayid Ghani (Former Chief Scientist, Obama 2012). Apply by Apr 1.
- OliviaGroup Business Intelligence Innovation Survey - Mar 13, 2013.
This research project is inspired by this Gartner statistic: 70-80% of corporate BI projects fail due to poor communication. The goal of the survey is to understand and measure the alignment between BI and human intelligence and to what degree this alignment is correlated with the success of the organization.
- Lavastorm: 4 Top Challenges in Big Data and Analytics - Mar 12, 2013.
Download the executive brief to learn more about the top 4 challenges in Big Data and Analytics. Learn how Lavastorm Analytics can help and download your free copy of Lavastorm Analytics Desktop Public today.
- NPR: Big Data Revolution: How Number Crunchers Can Predict Our Lives - Mar 8, 2013.
An author of a book on Big Data joins NPR's Steve Inskeep to talk about how Big Data helps Target detect pregnancies, the police track potential criminals - and has even changed the way he talks to his kids.
- Amazon Mechanical Turk is not anonymous - Mar 8, 2013.
Research find vulnerability in Amazon Mechanical Turk, which can be exploited to obtain personally identifying information on some workers.
- Big Data Revolution Analytics Interview - Mar 7, 2013.
"A data scientist will often combine transactional data from a NoSQL system, demographic data from a RDBMS, unstructured data from Hadoop, and social data from a streaming API" - ODBMS Editor Roberto Zicari interviews David Smith, VP at Revolution Analytics, on Big Data, Analytics, R, Data Scientists, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 11-12: WSJ: BigData, Big Blunders for too many companies; Data Mining the Largest Library Database in the World - Mar 13, 2013.
WSJ: #BigData, Big Blunders - too many companies have nothing to show; Data Mining the Largest Library Database in the World; Data Science Code of Professional Conduct and Data Science "Golden Rule"; You know you have #BigData when ... Big Data humor
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 8-10: Tableau visualization software free to students; GraphLab framework for Machine Learning - Mar 11, 2013.
Tableau visualization software offered free to students; Watch this talk on GraphLab framework for Machine Learning in the Cloud; NICAR13: Data Driven Journalism - Most useful presentations and tutorials; Microsoft "Data Explorer" Excel add-in, simplifies data discovery and access
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 6-7: A DBA walks into a NoSQL bar; 4 new ways to Hadoop with R - Mar 8, 2013.
A DBA walks into a NoSQL bar, but turns & leaves because he couldn't find a table; 4 new ways to Hadoop with R; This will stimulate your imagination: What our solar system looks like from a moving Sun; Pig Eye for the SQL Guy - brief guide for Pig, SQL-like language for Hadoop
- 100 Most Social Big Data Companies - Mar 9, 2013.
A report from BigDataLandscape looks at 100 Big Data Companies use of social media marketing, including blogs, videos, slideshares, and tweets, and identifies the leaders and best practices.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- DMIN'13: The 2013 International Conference on Data Mining, due Mar 18
- CoCoMiLe: COmbining COnstraint solving with MIning and LEarning, due Apr 3
- PAW Boston: Predictive Analytics World, Boston, due Apr 4
- ASONAM'13 P/E/D: ASONAM'13: Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining, Call for Panels, Exhibits & Demos, due Apr 8
- IWCDM-2013: Workshop on Cloud Data Mining , due Apr 15
- IEEE BigData: IEEE Big Data 2013, due Jun 2
- BDA 2013: Second Int. Conference on Big Data Analytics, due Jun 30
- OHD: Special Issue on Observational Healthcare Data, due Jul 1
Happy Pi Day, celebrated by lovers of math on March 14, 3/14 at 15.9 hours http://www.piday.org/