KDnuggets™ News 13:n06, Mar 7
Features (7) | Software (1) | Webcasts (2) | Courses, Events (2) | Meetings (2) | Jobs (5) | Academic (2) | Competitions (3) | Publications (5) | Tweets (4) | NewsBriefs (3) | CFP (6) | Quote
- HuffPost Live webcast: Feds Predict the Future - Mar 2, 2013.
I appeared on Feb 27 on HuffPost Live webcast, discussing US intelligence and other government agencies that try to predict the future. What are the implications of the big data revolution for intelligence, privacy, and "pre-crime"?
- Strata Conference Reports and Highlights - Mar 3, 2013.
Highlights from Strata Feb 2013 Conference on Big Data, covering Hadoop, Python Data Science, game data mining, Groundhog day, data thoughtcrime, situational awareness, and more.
- If you missed Strata 2013, here are 53 videos - Mar 1, 2013.
If you missed Strata 2013 Santa Clara Conference, here are videos from Strata covering Big Data, Analytics, Hadoop, Small Devices and much more
- Top news for Feb 24 - Mar 2: Analytics Pros Income jumps; Free e-book on Data Science with R - Mar 3, 2013.
Salary/Income of Analytics/Data Mining/Data Science professionals; Free e-book on Data Science with R;
Top jobs: Principal Data Scientist at EA; Machine Learning Researcher at GE Research
- Top news, jobs in February - Mar 1, 2013.
Data Scientist Valentine's Day Adjustment; New Poll: Analytics/DM Salary?;
Top jobs: Data Mining Scientist at Apple; Data Analytics Position at Crum and Forster
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in February - Mar 1, 2013.
Datacatalogs.org, open government data from US, EU, Canada, and new companies, datasets, education, 22 meetings, software, solutions, websites.
- 5 Reasons Organizations Predict When You Will Die - Mar 6, 2013.
Eric Siegel, the author of best-selling "Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie, or Die", looks at the reasons for the death predictions, and even for predictions after death.
- Berkeley AMPLab: Algorithms, Machines, and People works on Big Data and Analytics Solutions - Mar 3, 2013.
Berkeley AMPLab provides a start-up environment within Berkeley for exciting Big Data and Analytics projects, including BLB: Bootstrapping Big Data, CrowdDB - Answering Queries with Crowdsourcing, MLbase: A User-friendly System for Distributed Machine learning, and Shark: SQL and Rich Analytics at Scale
- WEBINAR: Customer Analytics Roadmap, Mar 21 - Mar 4, 2013.
Register for the Customer Analytics Roadmap webinar and learn how to improve marketing campaign performance, attract new customers and improve customer loyalty.
- Statistics.com Certificate and online Courses in Analytics, Data Mining, and more - Feb 27, 2013.
The Certificate Program in Data Analytics at Statistics.com, and upcoming online courses for analytics and data professionals, incluing predictive modeling, R, forecasting, NLP, Visualization, and more.
- Data Mining Course, Apr 5-6 - Mar 6, 2013.
This course is designed for researchers and data analysts with a modest statistical background, and will enable them to start using data mining methods on their own data. It is presented by Statistical Horizons and taught by Robert Stine on April 5 and 6 in Philadelphia, PA.
- Stanford Data Mining, Big Data, and Statistics Courses Online - Mar 5, 2013.
Stanford University online courses and certificates give you the knowledge and skill to be at the cutting-edge of Analytics, Big Data and Data Mining. Earn world-class credentials with online courses.
- Big Data TechCon, April 8-10, Boston - Mar 6, 2013.
Big Data TechCon is the HOW-TO conference, with tutorials and classes apply to Big Data in your data center or in the cloud. Learn from the smartest, hardest-working faculty and be inspired by keynotes.
- KDD-2013 Call for Demonstrations, due Apr 5 - Mar 5, 2013.
The demo session at KDD-2013, the leading research conference on data mining and data science, lets researchers and practitioners display their latest data mining software systems, prototypes, conceptual designs, libraries and more. Submission deadline is Apr 5, 2013.
- Computational Biologist, Proteomics Applications at Top biotech company, Midwest, USA - Mar 6, 2013.
Design biological experiments using Proteomics techniques, analyze data, and serve as a consultant for the ongoing research, for a top tier agro biotech company.
- Risk Modeling Analyst at Paychex, Rochester, NY - Mar 5, 2013.
Develop and implement scorecards/data driven predictive models covering different areas of the company, including enterprise risk management, marketing, sales and field operations.
- Lead Data Scientist/IT Specialist at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Washington, DC - Mar 5, 2013.
Serve as a senior expert and champion for advanced data analysis tools and techniques, ensuring that every opportunity is leveraged to glean knowledge and understanding from CFPB many data assets. Apply by Mar 11
- Data Scientist at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Washington, DC - Mar 5, 2013.
Serve as an expert responsible for supporting and executing data analysis projects, with additional emphasis on cultivating a robust analytical environment for CFPB's many economists, researchers, and analysts to operate in. Apply by Mar 11.
- SAS Analyst at Blue Health Intelligence, Chicago, IL - Mar 1, 2013.
Coordinating and executing BHI analytics in support of product development, client support and research/innovation initiatives; act as an internal consultant on analytical projects using large claims databases.
- PhD Candidate in Customer Analytics for Internet Marketing at IESEG-ECDM, Lille and Paris, France - Mar 6, 2013.
PhD research in the field of customer intelligence, customer analytics, web mining, database marketing for Internet Marketing, in collaboration with the largest e-tailer in France.
- Researcher/PostDoc/Intern positions at Telefonica, Barcelona, Spain - Feb 28, 2013.
The Telefonica Digital Research group follows an open research model in collaboration with Universities and other research institutions; Seeking candidates in HCI, Multimedia analysis, Recommender systems, machine learning, and other areas.
- DMC: Data Mining Cup 2013 - Registration Starts - Mar 6, 2013.
Each year national and international educational institutions from over 20 countries take part in the DATA-MINING-CUP (DMC) - a team competition. Registration starts Mar 4, task details will be published Apr 3.
- ECML PKDD Discovery Challenge - Recommend Baby Names - Mar 6, 2013.
Can you recommend Baby Names? The 15th Discovery Challenge of the European Conf. on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (ECML PKDD 2013).
- BioASQ challenge large-scale biomedical semantic indexing and question answering - Mar 1, 2013.
This challenge looks for a solution to the information access problem of biomedical experts and will evaluate the ability of systems in biomedical QA process.
- MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference Highlights - Mar 4, 2013.
Highlights from the recent MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference: bigger and more corporate than ever, optimizing 3-point shots, analytics pushbacks, Importance of hand size for quarterbacks, and much more.
- Aberdeen Report: Big Data Trends in 2013 - Mar 4, 2013.
Big Data challenges continue to rapidly evolve, and this report will identify the new pressures and strategies implemented by organizations today.
- Applied Data Mining for Forecasting Using SAS - Mar 4, 2013.
This book is essential for forecasting practitioners. It uses many real-world examples to show the practical issues involved in applied forecasting with SAS software in a business setting.
- 11 Data Visualization Experts on Twitter, plus 1 - Mar 2, 2013.
11 data visualization experts to follow on twitter - who do you follow?
- How to interview a Data Scientist - Feb 28, 2013.
LinkedIn Director of Data Science, David Tunkelang, shares his Strata talk on how to interview a data scientist. Rule 2: No gotchas - they reduce the signal to noise ratio.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 4-5: Stanford Data Mining, Big Data Courses Online; Kaggle Connect: matchmaker for data scientists and companies - Mar 6, 2013.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 1-3: Quantum algorithm breakthrough; Strata Report: Why Berkeley Spark is the best Hadoop - Mar 4, 2013.
Quantum algorithm breakthrough - performs a true calculation for the first time; Strata Report: Why Berkeley Spark is the best Hadoop replacement, Python Data Science; 11 Data Visualization Experts on Twitter, plus one; Berkeley AMPLab provides a start-up environment within Berkeley for exciting Big Data
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 27-28: if you missed Strata, here are 44 videos; 10 R Packages that data scientists should know, and 10 more - Mar 1, 2013.
if you missed Strata Conf, here are 44 videos - covering #BigData, Analytics, Hadoop,; 10 R Packages that data scientists should know, and 10 more for social sciences ; Statistics.com Data Analytics Certificate and upcoming online coursesM; Advice from LinkedIn @dtunkelang and Dilbert on how to interview a Data Scientist
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 25-26: Free e-book: "Introduction to Data Science", using R, leadin; Very useful for Data Scientists: How to copy Data from Excel - Feb 27, 2013.
Free e-book: "Introduction to Data Science", using R; Very useful for Data Scientists: How to copy Data from Excel to R and Back; Amazon Best Seller: Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie or Die; Visualise Open Government Data Competition - what can you do ?
- 10 Big Data Startups at Strata - Mar 5, 2013.
Here are 10 Big data startups which were especially noticeable at the recent Strata Conference, Feb 2013, offering Hadoop SQL engine, a virtual travel agent, sensor data solutions, baby pajamas with tiny sensors, and more.
- muPDNA: Mu Sigma First Analytics Software Product - Mar 5, 2013.
Mu Sigma first analytics software product, muPDNA™ offers a structured approach to defining, representing and encoding intelligence about business problems. Originally developed for internal use, muPDNA is now available to any enterprise.
- Skytree 2013 Big Data Analytics Report - Feb 28, 2013.
The report highlights include: Chief Data Officers Enter the C-Suite; Machine Learning becomes more mainstream; and who gains the most from Advanced Analytics/Machine Learning projects.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- PAW GOV: PAW Government, due Mar 15
- PAW Berlin: Predictive Analytics World - Berlin, due Mar 31
- Bioinsp' 2013: Biologically Inspired Databases , due Apr 1
- PAW Boston: Predictive Analytics World, Boston, due Apr 4
- ASONAM 2013: Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining, due Apr 15
- ECML PKDD 2013: European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases, due Apr 18
Big Data definition: Data is Big, when size of the data becomes part of the problem.