KDnuggets™ News 13:n05, Feb 27
Features (6) | Software (1) | Webcasts (3) | Courses, Events (2) | Jobs (5) | Academic (1) | Competitions (2) | Publications (3) | Tweets (3) | NewsBriefs (1) | CFP (16) | Quote
- Salary/Income of Analytics/Data Mining/Data Science professionals - Feb 26, 2013.
The big demand for analytics, data mining, and data science professionals led to a significant jump in their salaries in 2013. Salaries are highest in US, Australia/NZ, and among self-employed and industry data scientists. See details.
- Industry Analysts for Analytics, BI, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - Feb 22, 2013.
Here is my list of key industry analysts who cover the field of Analytics, BI/Business Intelligence, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science and related areas. Who do you follow?
- Data Science and its relationship to Big Data and Data-Driven Decision Making - Feb 20, 2013.
Two leading data science and machine learning researchers examine the relationship of data science to other important related concepts, and to begin to identify the fundamental principles underlying data science. What will be Big Data 2.0?
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World San Francisco Early Bird expires Mar 1 - Feb 25, 2013.
Predictive Analytics World San Francisco (April 14-19, 2013) is the leading predictive analytics event, packed with experts, practitioners, authors and business thought leaders. See what your peers are saying, but hurry - early bird rates expires March 1.
- Four Reasons to Read the New Book "Predictive Analytics" - Feb 26, 2013.
Eric Siegel's breakout book, "Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie, or Die" has been called "The Freakonomics of big data," and "the definitive book of this industry" that is "an operating manual for 21st century life."
- Top news for Feb 17-23 - Feb 24, 2013.
Analytics Education Boom - Trends and Overview; Two leading researchers look at Data Science and Big Data; Free, Upcoming online courses: Data Analysis, R, Statistics, Machine Learning, Analytics;
Top jobs: Data Mining Scientist at Apple; Data Scientist at Sybron Dental
- YPS: Yottamine Predictive Services SVM, Machine Learning in the Amazon Cloud - Feb 21, 2013.
YPS is a family of high performance, cloud-based, low-cost software services for data scientists and predictive modelers. YPS provides an R integration package, a Java API, and a web based interface.
- On-Demand Webcast: Analytically Speaking, WildTrack and Duke University - Feb 27, 2013.
See how WildTrack is monitoring endangered species via cutting-edge data analysis techniques, and learn how to better visualize medical, forensic or any other type of imaging data.
- On-demand Webinar: Unstructured Data for Accurate Customer Insight - Feb 26, 2013.
Learn how to optimize profitability ensuring lifetime 1-to-1 customer relationships, best practices for presenting data, and new technologies for fast and accurate big data analysis.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Mar 20] - Feb 25, 2013.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential.
- Analytics: Putting It All to Work, Live web class - Feb 26, 2013.
Learn how to optimally prepare and enrich data, predict and describe customer behavior, and use social network data and analytics to create real business value from your data. Next live web class is March 19-20.
- TMA Courses in Data Analytics [Apr: Las Vegas, May: Washington, DC] - Feb 25, 2013.
Get up to speed in data mining faster and more effectively than with any other training program available. Next courses in Las Vegas and Washington, DC.
- Principal Data Scientist at EA, Redwood City, CA - Feb 26, 2013.
Join EA Digital Platform Data Group, and help develop a new unified Big Data pipeline across Electronic Arts, built on a modern, cloud based tech stack with best-in-class tools, to power the future state of game development, marketing, sales, accounting and customer experience.
- NLP Lead (could be CTO, DOE) at Gamgee (stealth, so no website yet), SF Bay Area (on Peninsula); strong preference for someone local - Feb 26, 2013.
A new mobile healthcare startup, in stealth mode, funded by Khosla Ventures. Developing exciting, consumer-facing app with multi-modal interface leaning heavily on natural language technologies and analytics.
- Data Mining Intern at Intel, Phoenix, AZ - Feb 23, 2013.
Research on mining of streaming data - implementation of associative mining and contrast mining algorithms on Intel manufacturing data. Candidate should be enrolled in MS/PhD program in CS or EE.
- Machine Learning Researcher at GE Research, San Ramon, CA - Feb 23, 2013.
Join some of the brightest minds in technology to develop software, analytics, and user experiences that are transforming industries and improving lives by connecting people and businesses to the nearly 50 billion machines and devices.
- Data Scientist at Sybron Dental, Coppell, TX - Feb 20, 2013.
Help a major supplier to the dental industry collect and analyze data to evaluate product and service markets, identify and monitor competitors, and research market conditions and changes.
- Postdoc position in machine learning/data mining at Stevens, Hoboken, NJ - Feb 21, 2013.
Responsible for developing algorithms to analyze under-presented classes in heterogeneous environments. Starting date April 2013
- German Traffic Sign Detection Competition - Feb 26, 2013.
The German Traffic Sign Detection Benchmark is a multi-class detection problem in natural images. Competition results will be presented at the IJCNN 2013.
- Visualise Open Government Data - Feb 23, 2013.
What can you do with the thousands of open government datasets? Google and Open Knowledge Foundation are launching a competition to find the best dataviz. Enter by Apr 2.
- Free e-book on Data Science with R - Feb 24, 2013.
An Introduction to Data Science, developed for Syracuse U. Certificate for Data Science, is freely downloadable and available on iTunes.
- Big Data Analytics at Netflix: Interview - Feb 23, 2013.
In the interview Kalantzis and Brown comment on the lessons learned in deploying Cassandra in a production EC2 environment at Netflix, what was the result of their experiments with MongoDB, and more.
- Richard Boire on The Data Discovery: Investing in Customer Insight - Feb 22, 2013.
A leading analytics consultant shares his experience about Data discovery and Customer analytics. How to deal with situations when "we don't know what we don't know" ?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 22-24: How much can you trust an Amazon Review? Stanford, Harvard professors dissect Big Data, MOOCs - Feb 25, 2013.
How much can you trust an Amazon Review? Data mining and gaming the reviews; Stanford, Harvard professors dissect #BigData, MOOCs; On being a Data Scientist - How to analyze a Petabyte of data on a laptop; Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 20-21: 10 R packages every data scientist should know
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 20-21: 10 R packages every data scientist should know; Data Science vs Big Data - Feb 22, 2013.
10 R packages every data scientist should know; Data Science and its relationship to Big Data and Decision Making; An Oxymoron? Big Data Analytics for Dummies, free 52 page e-book; Microsoft plans for Hadoop, machine learning, HPC, #BigData & analytics on Azure
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 18-19: Intro to R for Data Mining - get immediately productive; The Analytics Education Boom - Feb 20, 2013.
Introduction to R for Data Mining - how to become immediately productive; The Analytics Education Boom - A Review; University Programs in USA in Big Data and Analytics - a map; Intro to R for Data Mining - watch on demand, incl. GUI (rattle), command-line
- Infosys BigDataEdge platform for Big Data analytics - Feb 24, 2013.
Infosys BigDataEdge includes a rich visual interface with more than 50 customizable dashboards and 250 built-in algorithms, over 50 data source connectors, and applications for fraud analytics, CRM, and other industries.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- TAW Boston: Text Analytics World, Boston, due Feb 28
- PAW GOV: PAW Government, due Mar 15
- PAW Berlin: Predictive Analytics World - Berlin, due Mar 31
- IEEE ICDM '13 W: IEEE ICDM Workshop proposals, due Apr 2
- PAW Boston: Predictive Analytics World, Boston, due Apr 4
- SNAA 2013: ASONAM Workshop on Social Network Analysis in Applications , due Apr 15
- MSNDS 2013: ASONAM Workshop on Mining and Analyzing Social Networks for Decision Support , due Apr 15
- SDAIN 2013: ASONAM Workshop on Semantic and Dynamic Analysis of Information Networks, due Apr 15
- MASSN 2013: ASONAM Workshop on Multi-agent Systems and Social Networks, due Apr 15
- UDM: Ubiquitous Data Mining, due Apr 20
- BASNA 2013: Business Applications of Social Network Analysis, due May 15
- WBA 2013: ASONAM Workshop on Workshop on Web Behavior Analytics, due May 20
- AI-2013: British AI-2013, due May 28
- PAW London: Predictive Analytics World - London, due May 31
- IEEE ICDM '13: IEEE ICDM , due Jun 21
- IEEE ICDM '13: IEEE ICDM , due Jun 21
Businessweek's haiku review of Eric Siegel's "Predictive Analytics" book:
With what your ex always said:
With what your ex always said: