KDnuggets™ News 13:n25, Oct 16
Features (8) | Software (1) | Webcasts (2) | Courses, Events (2) | Meetings (1) | Jobs (2) | Competitions (2) | Publications (4) | Tweets (3) | NewsBriefs (2) | CFP (7) | Quote
- 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science ( comments) - Oct 10, 2013.
How to learn data mining and data science? I outline seven steps and point you to resources for becoming a data scientist.
- Webcast: Data Science: Not Just for Big Data, Oct 16 - Oct 12, 2013.
Join Data Science experts David Smith (Revolution Analytics) and Gregory Piatetsky (KDnuggets) for an open-panel discussion hosted by Kalido, focusing on Data Science principles for any data size.
- New Poll: Has Big Data significantly changed Data Science? ( comments) - Oct 15, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: Has Big Data significantly changed Data Science principles and practice? Please vote.
- Exclusive: Cognitive Mining and Data Mining - Interview with Dr. Thomas Hill - Oct 14, 2013.
What is the relationship between Cognitive Mining and Data Mining? I discuss this, what makes StatSoft different, achieveing user satisfaction, Big Data and Privacy with StatSoft VP Dr. Thomas Hill.
- Exclusive: Cognitive Mining, Data Mining, and Statsoft - part 2- Oct 14, 2013.
Cognitive Mining and Data Mining, data scientists mission, Big Data, privacy, and advice for beginning data scientists - Part 2 of the KDnuggets exclusive interview with StatSoft VP Dr. Thomas Hill
- Predictive Analytics World, San Francisco, March 2014 - Oct 10, 2013.
Predictive Analytics World features sessions with beginner tracks to advanced tracks. There is something there for everyone - register today and save with KDnuggets discount code.
- 3 Free Big Data books from O'Reilly on Amazon - Oct 9, 2013.
Free ebooks from O'Reilly Media, available on Amazon, look at Big Data disruptive possibilities, emerging architecture, tools, applications, and trends, with a special section on health care.
- Top news for Oct 6-12: 3 Free Big Data books on Amazon; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science - Oct 13, 2013.
3 Free Big Data books on Amazon; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; Circle of Trust and Google Plus; Top jobs: Big Data/Econometric Internship at Democrats for Education Reform; Data Mining Scientist at Apple
- LinkedIn InMaps - Visualize your network ( comments) - Oct 15, 2013.
InMaps provides a visual representation of your professional Linkedin universe, and allows you to better understand your professional ties and the relationship patterns.
- Quebit: Better Decisions with Predictive Modeling: Nov 20 Webinar - Oct 15, 2013.
Learn advanced data mining techniques with QueBIT SPSS Modeler Seminar Series, starting with a free webinar on Nov 20.
- FICO Webinar: Solve Your Optimization Problems Like the Pros, Oct 22 - Oct 9, 2013.
FICO shares best practices in building and deploying optimization solutions using case study examples from some of the world's leading organizations.
- U. of Chicago MSc in Analytics for working professionals - Oct 15, 2013.
This part-time MSc program designed for working professionals will give students thorough knowledge of analytics techniques, and the ability to apply them to real-world and business scenarios. Apply by Nov 13 for Winter 2014 start.
- Applied Data Science - Free Online Course from Syracuse - Oct 14, 2013.
This course introduces Data Science content in self-guided learning format - work your way through the course at your own pace. This course is free and a select number of participants will be invited to try it on October 28.
- Text Analytics West, Dec 3-4, 2013, San Francisco - Oct 10, 2013.
Join the best corporate analytics practitioners from companies like Bank of America, LinkedIn, and Express Scripts at the Text Analytics Summit West, Dec 3-4 in San Francisco - see details and get KDnuggets discount.
- Senior Data Scientist - Discovery and Personalization at Netflix, Los Gatos, CA - Oct 13, 2013.
Uncover key insights from our terabytes of data about how customers find and watch movies and TV shows on Netflix.
- Big Data/Econometric Internship at Democrats for Education Reform (DFER), Brooklyn, NY - Oct 8, 2013.
A self-motivated, high-energy and organized graduate student with experience in data analysis, statistical analysis, modeling and techniques to assist DFER in an initial build-out and implementation of a robust data-centric political platform and smaller research projects.
- Innocentive: Show Me The Data - ideation challenge - Oct 14, 2013.
The goal is to identify high-quality, anonymous, and unbiased longitudinal data sets that monitor education, work, life and career experiences of people of ages 5 to 65.
- Kaggle: See Click Predict Fix - Oct 11, 2013.
What makes an issue urgent? What do citizens really care about? How much does location matter? Predict the most pressing 311 topics.
- LIONbook Chapter 10: Statistical Learning Theory and Support Vector Machines (SVM) - Oct 15, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 10 looks at Statistical Learning Theory and Support Vector Machines (SVM).
- Advent of Predictive Analytics in China ( comments) - Oct 14, 2013.
The CEO of AsiaAnalytics examines how China current economic development turns local corporations into the world largest data guzzlers.
- KnowledgeMiner Self-learning Model for Global Warming ( comments) - Oct 12, 2013.
What drives Global Warming? The KnowledgeMiner Self-learning Model from Apr 2011 matches observations at 73% accuracy, while IPCC forecast at 10%.
- Iterative-Incremental Approach for BI Implementation - Oct 9, 2013.
Despite big investments, BI projects often fail to deliver, and traditional waterfall methods have proven ineffective. The iterative approach proposed here outlines how to break large projects into more manageable pieces, and uses the idea of a "parking lot" of value-adding features.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 11-13: Python for machine learning, Data Science; Google new R package for Big Data - Oct 14, 2013.
Python extensions for machine learning and Data Science; Google releases new R package HistogramTools for #BigData; Top news, Oct 6-12: 3 Free Big Data books on Amazon; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; Twitter Analytics: A Beginner's Guide
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 9-10: 7 Steps for learning Data Mining and Data Science; 5 Data Science Deadly Sins - Oct 11, 2013.
Gregory Piatetsky outlines 7 Steps for learning Data Mining and Data Science; 5 Data Science Deadly Sins: Cherry Picking, Confirmation Bias, Data Selection Bias ...; Great job for data scientist who loves to travel; New algorithm mines your Twitter stream, finds most significant events
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 7-8: Data Scientists need to be Polyglots; NaSent uses recursive deep learning - Oct 9, 2013.
Data Scientists need to be Polyglots; NaSent, new algorithm from Stanford, uses recursive deep learning; Less is more: How to Simplify & Sexify your Graphs; RAW: A Data Visualization tool
- Alteryx, Revolution Analytics Partner to Simplify and Scale R-Based Predictive Analytics - Oct 15, 2013.
Each company will bundle the other technology with its offerings and will continue to expand integration in future software releases.
- Corral: 100 Diverse Big Data Collections - Oct 11, 2013.
To keep large scientific data for long periods of time special-purpose technologies and expertise are required. That is the purpose of Corral big data repository, which is celebrating addition of 100th unique scientific research collection.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- SENT-2014: 7th Sentiment Symposium: Sentiment Analysis and "Human Analytics" , due Oct 28
- ISMIS'14 SS: 21st Int. Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, Special Sessions proposals, due Nov 22
- ESANN 2014: Artificial Neural Networks, Computational Intelligence and Machine Learning, due Nov 29
- BIS 2014: 17th Int. Conf. on Business Information Systems, due Nov 30
- DANTH 2014: Data Analytics for Targeted Healthcare, due Jan 6
- UARS: User Acceptance of Recommender Systems, special issue, due Feb 1
- ISMIS'14: 21st Int. Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, due Feb 3
For the execution of the voyage to the Indies, I did not make use of intelligence, mathematics or maps. Christopher Columbus, BrainyQuote.