KDnuggets™ News 13:n26, Oct 30
Features (8) | Software (2) | Webcasts (2) | Courses, Events (3) | Meetings (3) | Jobs (6) | Academic (2) | Competitions (1) | Publications (2) | Tweets (4) | NewsBriefs (7) | CFP (4) | Quote
- Poll: Big Data effect on Data Science is minor ( comments) - Oct 29, 2013.
Latest KDnuggets poll results say that Big Data has only partial effect on Data Science, and does not change fundamental Data Science principles
- Future of Statistics Unconference, online, Oct 30 - Oct 28, 2013.
The data revolution requires an equal revolution in statistical methods, software, education, and collaborations with natural sciences, social sciences, and industry. Listen to some of the brightest minds, including Hilary Mason, Hadley Wickham, and Sinan Aral.
- TESC online MBA in Data Analytics - Oct 19, 2013.
Online MBA in Data Analytics from Thomas Edison State College prepares students to thrive in the dynamic and rapidly expanding field of Big Data.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World San Francisco, Mar 16-20 2014 - highlights and workshops - Oct 29, 2013.
Predictive Analytics World is the leader in educating and supporting the greater analytics industry. The upcoming San Francisco event (Mar 16-20) will feature killer keynotes, conference sessions and networking, and 6 great workshops. Special KDnuggets discount
- Upcoming November Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - Oct 29, 2013.
Upping Your Analytic IQ, CAP Certification, The New World of Data Visualization, The Economics of SQL on Hadoop, Analytically Speaking, SPSS Modeler Courses, Data Mining: Failure to Launch, and more.
- Free Book: Theory and Applications for Advanced Text Mining - Oct 27, 2013.
This book has 9 chapters introducing text mining techniques, including Relation Extraction, ontology learning using Word Net, and automatic compilation of travel information from texts.
- Top news for Oct 20-26: 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; IEEE BigData 2013 report - Oct 27, 2013.
7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; IEEE BigData 2013 report; Top jobs: Applied Data Scientist at Intel; Big Data Analyst at RightCareSolutions
- Top news for Oct 13-19: 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; Predictive Analytics in China - Oct 20, 2013.
7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; Predictive Analytics in China; Exclusive: Cognitive Mining and Data Mining; Top jobs: Senior Data Scientist - Discovery and Personalization at Netflix; Applied Data Scientist at Intel
- Develve statistical software (beta) - Oct 21, 2013.
Develve statistical software (beta), written by Frank Pauw, aims for a direct experience of your data, with no deep hidden menus, making all functions directly accessible, and results directly visible.
- BabelNet multilingual encyclopedic dictionary and ontology - Oct 16, 2013.
BabelNet is a multilingual "encyclopedic dictionary" and a multilingual ontology created by mapping the Wikipedia to WordNet, the top English computational lexicon, and by integrating other lexical resources such as OmegaWiki and the Open Multilingual WordNet.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Nov 19] - Oct 29, 2013.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Nov 19.
- WCAI Research Opportunity: Predicting Life Changes from Financial Activity - Oct 25, 2013.
Predict major life events based on a unique anonymized dataset from a major financial services company that allows for an unprecedented view into customer-company interaction. More in a webinar on Nov 22.
- TMA Courses in Data Analytics [Mar: Orlando; Apr: LA] - Oct 29, 2013.
Get up to speed in data mining faster and more effectively than with any other training program available. Next courses in Orlando and LA.
- Net Lift Models: Optimizing Your Marketing Efforts - Oct 29, 2013.
Go beyond typical targeting. The true effectiveness of a marketing campaign is not the response rate: it is the incremental impact.
- Wharton: Bring Customer Lifetime Value to Life: February, San Francisco - Oct 17, 2013.
Let by top faculty, this 2-day workshop will teach you the critical process of evaluating and forecasting the activities of your customer base.
- Boston Data Festival, Nov 4-10 - Oct 28, 2013.
Boston first-ever Data Festival brings together the meetup community, entrepreneurs, VCs and others to highlight our data-centric scene.
- 7th Sentiment Symposium to feature Human Analytics Solutions, Big Data Emotion, Connection, Intent - Oct 21, 2013.
The 7th Sentiment Analysis Symposium, March 5-6, 2014 in New York City, will feature presentations, panels, and workshops covering Digital Measurement, Intelligent Customer Experience, Sentiment Analysis, and Speech and Text Analytics. Call for speakers until Oct 28.
- IEEE BigData 2013: Big Data challenges and potential solutions - Oct 21, 2013.
A report from inaugural IEEE Big Data conference highlights, including Berkeley Data Analytics Stack, Crowdsourcing for Data Analytics, Security for Big Data and more.
- Text Mining Sentiment Analyst at Stevens Capital Management LP, Radnor, PA - Oct 29, 2013.
Stevens Capital Management LP, a large hedge fund, seeks talented and motivated analyst to conduct text mining and sentiment analysis on large news data to identify useful patterns and insight.
- Text Mining Analyst at WIL, Toronto, Canada - Oct 29, 2013.
Waterfront International, Toronto-based quantitative finance research firm, specializing in statistical trading strategies, is looking for a talented analyst to perform sentiment analysis using various news data feeds, to find patterns, build models, and derive insight.
- OCQI Data Analytics Manager (Social Services Program Manager) at Maine, Augusta, ME - Oct 28, 2013.
Coordinating and managing all data design and analysis-related functions, planning and managing complex data-related projects, coordinating access to key healthcare and quality data sources. Apply by Nov 8.
- Big Data Business Systems Analyst at Major Oak Consulting, New Providence, NJ - Oct 26, 2013.
Seeking professionals with 5-8 years of quantitative experience within the financial service industry, risk management, academic research, for work on dynamic client engagements.
- Big Data Analyst at RightCareSolutions, Horsham, PA - Oct 18, 2013.
Join a passionate team of entrepreneurs, be on the cutting edge of big data development and predictive modeling, interpret health data to bridge the gap with hospitals, health systems, payers, and patients.
- Applied Data Scientist at Intel Corporation, Hillsboro, Oregon - Oct 16, 2013.
Solve our customer problems, manage the full lifecycle of machine learning and big data solutions, using Graph Analytics, Big Data Analytics and Large-Scale Machine Learning.
- Assistant/Associate Professor, Tenure-Track, Data Mining or Cybersecurity at Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA - Oct 18, 2013.
Outstanding candidates in all areas of computer science will be considered, with priority given to candidates with a research focus in either Data Mining or Cybersecurity, both defined broadly.
- Assistant Professor (tenure track) in Computer Science (Data Management) at Dept. of CS, U. of Helsinki, Finland - Oct 17, 2013.
The U. of Helsinki, a top ten European university, seeks faculty in data management including distributed DB, management of big data systems, data models and data description languages. Apply by Oct 31.
- BBVA Innova Data Mining Challenge - Oct 17, 2013.
First time ever a bank (BBVA) allows developers and researchers to use anonymized card transaction data to design new services, applications and content, and to creating stunning visualizations.
- Great Debate: Design vs. Math - Oct 27, 2013.
Math informs; design compels. Which matters more? A well-designed collection of flawed information-or an opaque, hard-to-parse, but unerringly accurate model?
- LIONbook Chapter 11: Democracy in machine learning - combining models - Oct 18, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 11 looks at Democracy in machine learning - how to combine different models in flexible, creative and effective ways.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 23-27: Free Book: Advanced Text Mining; SAS CEO Jim Goodnight says Big Data is hype - Oct 28, 2013.
Free Book: Theory and Applications for Advanced Text Mining; SAS CEO Jim Goodnight says #BigData hype manufactured by analysts and media; Big Data is not enough for better decisions - you need to connect diverse data; 0xdata releases H2O, open-source fast machine learning engine for #BigData
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 18-22: Automating the Black Art of Deep Learning; Top 10 Ways You Know You're a Data Scientist - Oct 23, 2013.
Automating the Black Art and "Oral traditions" of Deep Learning; Top 10 Ways You Know You're a Data Scientist - very funny; LIONbook Chapter 11: Democracy in machine learning - how to combine different models
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 16-17: Data Science Toolkit on AWS Marketplace; How to Interview a Data Scientist - Oct 18, 2013.
Data Science Toolkit on AWS Marketplace; LinkedIn Top Scientist @dtunkelang on How to Interview a Data Scientist; Intel: Applied Data Scientist, Graph Analytics, Big Data Analytics; BBVA Innova Data Mining Challenge, 1st time bank releases anonymized card transaction
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 14-15: Tutorial: The Naive Bayes Text Classifier; Quantum Computers and Machine Learning - Oct 16, 2013.
Tutorial: The Naive Bayes Text Classifier; How Quantum Computers and Machine Learning Will Revolutionize #BigData; See how easy it is to find patterns in random data; Applied Data Science - free, self-guided online course
- SiSense Crowd Accelerated Analytics - Oct 29, 2013.
SiSense unveils Crowd Accelerated Analytics, which gets faster with more users, who benefit from each other queries. SiSense showcases In-Chip 2.0 technology at Strata + Hadoop World and opens NYC headquarters.
- import.io doubles Web APIs for web data mining - Oct 28, 2013.
Data Factory is a Chrome extension for quick access to import.io library of web APIs, for converting a web page into a table of data. import.io launched Data Factory with 1,000 public APIs and plans to release 10,000 by end of 2013.
- Splice Machine Real-time transactional SQL-on-Hadoop Limited Release - Oct 27, 2013.
Company seeks evaluators to validate authentic use cases, test SQL coverage and benchmark performance; initial results show a 10x improvement in hardware price/performance over Oracle databases.
- Society of Data Miners to launch at PAW London ( comments) - Oct 20, 2013.
New Society of Data Miners will be launched at Predictive Analytics World, London on 23 Oct 2013. It will have to compete with SIGKDD, INFORMS, and other groups in this field.
- 2013 IEEE ICDM Research Contributions Award: Professor Hans-Peter Kriegel - Oct 19, 2013.
Hans-Peter Kriegel is recognized for his outstanding contributions to data mining and knowledge discovery research over a wide range of topics including clustering, outlier detection and high-dimensional data analysis.
- 2013 IEEE ICDM Outstanding Service Award: Professor Geoff Webb - Oct 19, 2013.
Geoff Webb has been an active promoter of ICDM conference since its inception, and has many contributions to the entire data mining field, as Editor-in-Chief of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery journal, as organizer and PC member of many top conferences, and as an active researcher in data mining.
- Data Elite: Andreessen Horowitz Big Data incubator - Oct 18, 2013.
A new Big Data lab was launched by top VC firms in San Francisco, with plans to support 5-10 Big Data startups at a time, and providing them with space and mentorship to get started.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- SBP14 : Social Computing, Behavioral-Cultural Modeling, and Prediction, due Nov 8
- FLAIRS-27: 27th Int. Conf. of the Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society , due Nov 18
- ISAWEL: Intelligent Systems for Animal Welfare, due Jan 4
- SDA: Scalable Data Analytics: Theory and Applications, due Jan 15
"For me, clean data (cleansed by somebody else) is dead. It has lost its soul." Claudia Perlich, Gilt Tech.