Data Science Tools Popularity, animated
Watch the evolution of the top 10 most popular data science tools based on KDnuggets software polls from 2000 to 2019.
By Greg Hamel, Writer | Machine Learning Competition Expert.
The animated plot below shows the top 10 most popular data science tools based on KDnuggets software polls from 2000 to 2019 (see list below). KDnuggets is a leading data science and analytics blog that has collected data on data science and data mining tool popularity for the past 20 years through a series of annual user surveys. Survey respondents were asked which data science tools they had used for projects within the past year.
Note that the values shown in the video indicate the proportion of users who used a particular data science tool within the past year. It is possible (and common) for a respondent to report using more than one data science tool, so the sum of the tools does not need to total 100%. Users generally reported using a wider variety of tools over time, so the values on the plot trended upward.
Video: Top 10 Data Science Tools over time, according to popularity in KDnuggets Polls from 2000 to 2019
Note: the polls included from 20 to 90 options, but the video above shows only top 10 each year.
Editor: KDnuggets did not conduct a Data Science Software Poll in 2020, but here are the results of the previous KDnuggets Polls on Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software:
- Python leads the 11 top Data Science, Machine Learning platforms: Trends and Analysis, 2019
- The 6 components of Open-Source Data Science/ Machine Learning Ecosystem; Did Python declare victory over R?, Jun 2018.
- Python eats away at R: Top Software for Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning in 2018 - Trends and Analysis, May 2018.
- New Leader, Trends, and Surprises in Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning Software Poll, 2017
- R, Python Duel As Top Analytics, Data Science software, 2016
- R leads RapidMiner, Python catches up, Big Data tools grow, Spark ignites, 2015
- RapidMiner Continues To Lead, 2014
- RapidMiner and R vie for first place, 2013
- KDnuggets 2012 Poll: Analytics, Data mining, Big Data software used
- KDnuggets 2011 Poll: Data Mining/Analytic Tools Used
- KDnuggets 2010 Poll: Data Mining / Analytic Tools Used
- KDnuggets 2009 Poll: Data Mining Tools Used
- KDnuggets 2008 Poll: Data Mining Software Used
- KDnuggets 2007 Poll: Data Mining/Analytics Software Tools
- KDnuggets 2006 Poll: Data Mining (Analytic) Tools.
- KDnuggets 2005 Poll: Data Mining Tools You Used in 2005.
- KDnuggets 2004 Poll: Data Mining Software You Regularly Use.
- KDnuggets 2003 Poll: Data mining tools you regularly use
- KDnuggets 2002 Poll: Data mining tools you regularly use
- KDnuggets 2001 Poll: Data mining tools you regularly use
- KDnuggets 2000 Poll: Data Mining Software
Top Stories Past 30 Days