- How AI is Driving Innovation in Astronomy - Sep 29, 2020.
In this blog, we look at a disruptive AI program - Morpheus - developed by Researchers at UC Santa Cruz that can analyze astronomical image data and classify galaxies and stars with surgical precision. If you're reading this with "starry" eyes, we bet we've got you hooked.
- I Don’t Believe in Electrons - Apr 1, 2020.
What does it mean to believe in science? Does this notion of belief even make sense, or are scientists just supposed to be skeptics that question everything for all time, until we somehow arrive at some notion of Truth? And, what is science, anyway?
- Data Science: (not) the preferred nomenclature - Sep 4, 2017.
The term Data Science should describe the “Science OF Data”, while doing Science WITH Data could be called “Data-Driven Science”. Whatever your preferred term, reinforcing the distinction will help establish the Science OF Data and doing Science WITH Data as bona-fide disciplines.
- What Makes a Good Analyst? - Apr 14, 2017.
Without doubt, critical thinking is necessary in order to be a good analyst but particular skills and experience are also required. What are some of these skills?
- Climate Change Denial and CO2 Emissions – What is the Connection? - Mar 17, 2017.
We examine the connection between Climate Change Denial and CO2 emissions and find a strong correlation - countries with higher CO2 emissions/capita also have higher percentage of climate skeptics.
- Reducing Science-related Stress - Feb 17, 2017.
The author presents a list of things learned through hard experience to help him with his own imposter syndrome, and help him to feel less stressed out about science.
- The big data ecosystem for science: X-ray crystallography - Jan 19, 2017.
Diffract-and-destroy experiments to accurately determine three-dimensional structures of nano-scale systems can produce 150 TB of data per sample. We review how such Big Data is processed.
- The big data ecosystem for science: Climate Science and Climate Change - Dec 22, 2016.
Climate change is one of the most pressing challenges for human society in the 21st century. We review the Big Data ecosystem for studying the climate change.
- The big data ecosystem for science: Genomics - Dec 15, 2016.
The field of genomics has undergone a revolution over the past decade as the cost of sequencing has rapidly declined and the practice of sequencing has been commoditized. We review the Big Data ecosystem in genomics.
- The big data ecosystem for science: Physics, LHC, and Cosmology - Dec 8, 2016.
Big Data management is essential for experimental science and technologies used in various science communities often predate those in Big Data industry and in many cases continue to develop independently. This post highlights some of these technologies, focusing on those used by several projects supported by the National Energy Research Scientific Computing Centre (NERSC).
Pages: 1 2
- Interview: Miriah Meyer, Univ. of Utah on the Art and Science of Visualization - Jan 12, 2015.
We discuss insights from the best paper at ACM AVI 2014, increasing interest in visualization, infographics, trends, challenges, advice and more.
- 8 Things to Check when you analyze Twitter data - Dec 16, 2014.
A review of biases and issues on large scale studies of human behavior in social media discussed by a recent paper published on Science.