- Predixion Launches OEM Predictive Analytics Program - Sep 30, 2013.
Predixion enterprise-class, extensible, predictive analytics platform was designed to support the needs of an embedded customer, from Excel-based modeling environment, to one button Insight Now predictions.
- Datameer Smart Analytics for Hadoop - Sep 30, 2013.
New self-service data mining functionality lets business users find patterns and relationships in their data without a data scientist.
- Top news for Sep 22-28: Cartoon: Next Trend after Big Data; Data Mining and Analysis, free book (draft) download - Sep 29, 2013.
KDnuggets Cartoon: Next Trend after Big Data; Data Mining and Analysis: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms, free PDF download (draft); edX: Learning from Data, free online course
Top jobs: Data Analytics and Optimization at ExxonMobil; Data Scientist at dunnhumby
- Explore Analytics offers Data Visualization in the cloud - Sep 27, 2013.
Explore Analytics is a self-service BI tool that lets you access, explore, analyze, and instantly create interactive visualizations and dashboards to share with your team.
- BigML machine learning platform Fall 2013 release - Sep 26, 2013.
This release is a substantial update to our hosted machine learning platform, with advanced text analysis, Microsoft Excel Export, Multi-label Classifications, BigML PredictServer, better UI and workflow, and many other improvements.
- Skytree Launches Second Opinion Predictive Analytics Program - Sep 24, 2013.
Now in beta, the Second Opinion program pairs data scientists with Skytree experts to ensure maximum accuracy and performance, and gives data scientists the means to test their own predictive analytics programs using unique and cutting-edge machine learning methods.
- Poll Results: Data Scientists split on whether Big Data reached the Hype Peak - Sep 23, 2013.
The latest KDnuggets Poll showed a split on whether Big Data has reached the Hype Peak, with 47% saying No, and 41% saying Yes. There was a surprisingly big regional difference, with Latin America and Asia (mainly India) most optimistic about Big Data prospects.
- Top news for Sep 15-21: KDnuggets Cartoon: Next Trend after Big Data; WekaMOOC: Data Mining with Weka, online course; - Sep 22, 2013.
KDnuggets Cartoon: Next Trend after Big Data; WekaMOOC: Data Mining with Weka, online course;
Top jobs: Machine Learning Scientists at Amazon, Bangalore; Faculty (Open Rank), Biomedical Informatics, Big Data Mining at VCU.
- IEEE ICDM 2013 Data Mining competition: Expedia - Sep 18, 2013.
The 2013 contest is focused on utilizing a large hotel search data set to rank search results as a means to increase sales. $25K in prizes will be awarded. Submissions due Nov 4.
- KDnuggets Cartoon: Next Trend after Big Data - Sep 18, 2013.
New KDnuggets cartoon looks at the next trend that will follow Big Data.
- Andy Palmer Best Big Data Startups - Sep 17, 2013.
Entrepreneur, investor and founding Vertica Systems CEO Andy Palmer shares his thoughts on most-important trends and promising startups in the data space.
- BigML Machine Learning Made Easy, see it in action - Sep 17, 2013.
I talked to BigML to learn about their "special sauce" and exciting advanced features such as decision forest ensembles, "Sunburst" visualization for decision trees, BigML PredictServer on AWS, text processing, and Multi-label prediction. See BigML it in action on Sep 25, and get a special KDnuggets discount.
- KnowledgeMiner Insights Data Mining for Mac OS X: Ivakhnenko 100th Anniversary Giveaway - Sep 16, 2013.
Marking the 100th anniversary of the birth of cybernetics pioneer Prof. Aleksey Ivakhnenko, KnowledgeMiner Software announces a 100% discount on its entry-level Insights Touch Edition, downloadable free only on September 18, 2013.
- Top news for Sep 8-14: Twitter Data Analytics - free book download; Poll: Has Big Data Reached the Hype Peak? - Sep 15, 2013.
Book: Twitter Data Analytics - free download; New Poll: Has Big Data Reached the Hype Peak and is due for Decline and Disillusionment?; SAP to buy predictive analytics firm KXEN
Top jobs: Data Mining Scientist at Apple; Junior Data Scientist at Consorzio Milano Ricerche.
- Windows Azure looks for Cloud and Data Science Research Proposals - Sep 14, 2013.
Microsoft Research asks for proposals from academic/non-profit researchers for the use of Windows Azure, on topics including community data services, streaming data to the cloud, machine learning in the cloud, environmental science, astronomy, genomics, and urban science. Next deadline is Oct 15.
- DMS Survey: Predictive Analytics in the Cloud 2013 - Sep 14, 2013.
The survey asks about your experience with predictive analytics, what you think about the main use cases for predictive analytics in the cloud and also about drivers, obstacles, and the role of Big Data. Complete the survey to get the results and be eligible for an Amazon gift card.
- SAP to buy predictive analytics firm KXEN - Sep 11, 2013.
SAP announced plans to acquire KXEN, a leading provider of predictive analytics technology for line-of-business users and analysts. Who will be the next acquisition target?
- New Poll: Has Big Data Reached the Hype Peak and is due for Decline and Disillusionment? - Sep 9, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking "Has Big Data Reached the Hype Peak and is due for Disillusionment?" Google Trends suggest that the growth in "Big Data" is over, but analysts are split. What do you think? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com.
- Top news for Sep 1-7: Twitter Data Analytics - book free download; Top Languages for analytics, data mining - Sep 8, 2013.
Book: Twitter Data Analytics - free download; Top Languages for analytics, data mining, data science; Sentiment Analysis Symposium 2013 presentations
Top jobs: Postdocs in CS, IR, Machine Learning, Data Analysis, Helsinki; Senior Knowledge Analyst/Lead Knowledge Analyst at BCG.
- CrowdScale Challenge: CrowdFlower Sentiment and Google facts - Sep 7, 2013.
To help advance research on crowdsourcing at scale, CrowdFlower and Google are sharing two new, large challenge datasets for multi-class classification.
- Lavastorm Analytics Business Analyst Survey 2013 - Sep 5, 2013.
This new short survey focuses on you, the person driving analytics, and the skills that you need now and in the future - participate and see the common challenges, the skills necessary to succeed, and gain insight into your colleagues.
- Analytics, Data Mining, and Big Data companies activity in August - Sep 4, 2013.
The August 2013 acquisitions, startups, and awards in Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science and Big Data: Idibon, KXEN, uBeam, Birst, Precog, Roambi, Antuit, Twitter #BigDataC
- Ubuntu Data Science Charm Championship - Sep 4, 2013.
Submit code solutions that solve data science problems using Juju, the service orchestration tool from Ubuntu, to wrap an application into a self-contained, reusable charm bundle. Do something interesting and win 10K.
- Mikut Data Mining Tools Big List - Update - Sep 3, 2013.
An update of the Excel table describing 325 recent and historical data mining tools is now online (Excel format), 31 of them were added since the last update in November 2012. These new updated tools include new published tools and some well-established tools with a statistical background.
- BattleFin Big Data Combine competition - Sep 3, 2013.
To test crowdsourcing and big data, BattleFin is launching a venture capital initiative to invest in early stage predictive models used to design innovative liquid hedge fund strategies.
- Top news in August: The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary; Top Languages for analytics, data mining - Sep 1, 2013.
The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary; Top Languages for analytics, data mining, data science; Twitter Data Analytics - free book download
Top jobs: Research Scientist: Data Mining, Bethesda; Data Mining Programmer at Real Time Data Solution
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in August - Sep 1, 2013.
New big lists of Data APIs, Hubs, Marketplaces; Government and Public Data sources; New education options, Big data meetings, Analytics software, and Data mining solutions.
- Top news for Aug 25-31: Top Languages for data mining; Twitter Data Analytics - free book download - Sep 1, 2013.
Top Languages for analytics, data mining, data science; Book: Twitter Data Analytics - free download; New Book: Data Science for Business
Top jobs: Data Scientist at American Express; Scientists and Postdocs at QCRI, Qatar;