- Adjunct Faculty, develop and teach courses Data Mining, Data Science, Business Analytics at NYU School of Continuing and Professional Studies, New York, NY or telecommute - Oct 31, 2013.
Seeking industry practitioners to develop and teach courses in the areas of Data Mining, Data Science or Business Analytics. We are interested in faculty with advanced degrees and experience teaching courses on-site, on-line or in a blended format.
- LIONbook Chapter 12: Top-down clustering: K-means - Oct 31, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 11 looks at Top-down clustering: K-means.
- The Future of Statistics Unconference - Oct 31, 2013.
Watch a very interesting discussion of top statisticians and data scientists on the future of statistics. How can we optimize software for both cognitive and computational challenges?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 28-29: The Mathematical Shape of Big Science Data; Great Guide to NoSQL - Oct 30, 2013.
The Mathematical Shape of Big Science Data - new calculus of network analysis; Great read: HP Guide to NoSQL explains CAP theorem, MapReduce, new RDBMS systems; 10 rules for reproducible computation research (and data science); Strata #BigData Conference + Hadoop World 2013 in NYC - watch keynotes live
- Chordalysis: Free software for Log-linear analysis of Big Data - Oct 30, 2013.
Chordalysis is a log-linear analysis method for big data, which exploits recent discoveries in graph theory by representing complex models as compositions of triangular structures (aka chordal graphs).
- KDnuggets 13:n26, Big Data effect on Data Science is minor; Online Analytics education; Future of Statistics - Oct 30, 2013.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (8) | Software (2) | Webcasts (2) | Courses, Events (3) | Meetings (3) | Jobs (6) | Academic (2) | Competitions (1) | Publications (2) | Tweets (4) | NewsBriefs (7) | CFP (4) .
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Nov 19] - Oct 29, 2013.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Nov 19.
- TMA Courses in Data Analytics [Mar: Orlando; Apr: LA] - Oct 29, 2013.
Get up to speed in data mining faster and more effectively than with any other training program available. Next courses in Orlando and LA.
- Upcoming November Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - Oct 29, 2013.
Upping Your Analytic IQ, CAP Certification, The New World of Data Visualization, The Economics of SQL on Hadoop, Analytically Speaking, SPSS Modeler Courses, Data Mining: Failure to Launch, and more.
- Net Lift Models: Optimizing Your Marketing Efforts - Oct 29, 2013.
Go beyond typical targeting. The true effectiveness of a marketing campaign is not the response rate: it is the incremental impact.
- SiSense Crowd Accelerated Analytics - Oct 29, 2013.
SiSense unveils Crowd Accelerated Analytics, which gets faster with more users, who benefit from each other queries. SiSense showcases In-Chip 2.0 technology at Strata + Hadoop World and opens NYC headquarters.
- Poll: Big Data effect on Data Science is minor - Oct 29, 2013.
Latest KDnuggets poll results say that Big Data has only partial effect on Data Science, and does not change fundamental Data Science principles
- Text Mining Sentiment Analyst at Stevens Capital Management LP, Radnor, PA - Oct 29, 2013.
Stevens Capital Management LP, a large hedge fund, seeks talented and motivated analyst to conduct text mining and sentiment analysis on large news data to identify useful patterns and insight.
- Text Mining Analyst at WIL, Toronto, Canada - Oct 29, 2013.
Waterfront International, Toronto-based quantitative finance research firm, specializing in statistical trading strategies, is looking for a talented analyst to perform sentiment analysis using various news data feeds, to find patterns, build models, and derive insight.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World San Francisco, Mar 16-20 2014 - highlights and workshops - Oct 29, 2013.
Predictive Analytics World is the leader in educating and supporting the greater analytics industry. The upcoming San Francisco event (Mar 16-20) will feature killer keynotes, conference sessions and networking, and 6 great workshops. Special KDnuggets discount
- Boston Data Festival, Nov 4-10 - Oct 28, 2013.
Boston first-ever Data Festival brings together the meetup community, entrepreneurs, VCs and others to highlight our data-centric scene.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 23-27: Free Book: Advanced Text Mining; SAS CEO Jim Goodnight says Big Data is hype - Oct 28, 2013.
Free Book: Theory and Applications for Advanced Text Mining; SAS CEO Jim Goodnight says #BigData hype manufactured by analysts and media; Big Data is not enough for better decisions - you need to connect diverse data; 0xdata releases H2O, open-source fast machine learning engine for #BigData
- Future of Statistics Unconference, online, Oct 30 - Oct 28, 2013.
The data revolution requires an equal revolution in statistical methods, software, education, and collaborations with natural sciences, social sciences, and industry. Listen to some of the brightest minds, including Hilary Mason, Hadley Wickham, and Sinan Aral.
- import.io doubles Web APIs for web data mining - Oct 28, 2013.
Data Factory is a Chrome extension for quick access to import.io library of web APIs, for converting a web page into a table of data. import.io launched Data Factory with 1,000 public APIs and plans to release 10,000 by end of 2013.
- OCQI Data Analytics Manager (Social Services Program Manager) at Maine, Augusta, ME - Oct 28, 2013.
Coordinating and managing all data design and analysis-related functions, planning and managing complex data-related projects, coordinating access to key healthcare and quality data sources. Apply by Nov 8.
- Great Debate: Design vs. Math - Oct 27, 2013.
Math informs; design compels. Which matters more? A well-designed collection of flawed information-or an opaque, hard-to-parse, but unerringly accurate model?
- Free Book: Theory and Applications for Advanced Text Mining - Oct 27, 2013.
This book has 9 chapters introducing text mining techniques, including Relation Extraction, ontology learning using Word Net, and automatic compilation of travel information from texts.
- Splice Machine Real-time transactional SQL-on-Hadoop Limited Release - Oct 27, 2013.
Company seeks evaluators to validate authentic use cases, test SQL coverage and benchmark performance; initial results show a 10x improvement in hardware price/performance over Oracle databases.
- Top news for Oct 20-26: 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; IEEE BigData 2013 report - Oct 27, 2013.
7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; IEEE BigData 2013 report; Top jobs: Applied Data Scientist at Intel; Big Data Analyst at RightCareSolutions
- Big Data Business Systems Analyst at Major Oak Consulting, New Providence, NJ - Oct 26, 2013.
Seeking professionals with 5-8 years of quantitative experience within the financial service industry, risk management, academic research, for work on dynamic client engagements.
- 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science - Oct 26, 2013.
How to learn data mining and data science? I outline seven steps and point you to resources for becoming a data scientist.
- WCAI Research Opportunity: Predicting Life Changes from Financial Activity - Oct 25, 2013.
Predict major life events based on a unique anonymized dataset from a major financial services company that allows for an unprecedented view into customer-company interaction. More in a webinar on Nov 22.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 18-22: Automating the Black Art of Deep Learning; Top 10 Ways You Know You're a Data Scientist - Oct 23, 2013.
Automating the Black Art and "Oral traditions" of Deep Learning; Top 10 Ways You Know You're a Data Scientist - very funny; LIONbook Chapter 11: Democracy in machine learning - how to combine different models
- 7th Sentiment Symposium to feature Human Analytics Solutions, Big Data Emotion, Connection, Intent - Oct 21, 2013.
The 7th Sentiment Analysis Symposium, March 5-6, 2014 in New York City, will feature presentations, panels, and workshops covering Digital Measurement, Intelligent Customer Experience, Sentiment Analysis, and Speech and Text Analytics. Call for speakers until Oct 28.
- Develve statistical software (beta) - Oct 21, 2013.
Develve statistical software (beta), written by Frank Pauw, aims for a direct experience of your data, with no deep hidden menus, making all functions directly accessible, and results directly visible.
- IEEE BigData 2013: Big Data challenges and potential solutions - Oct 21, 2013.
A report from inaugural IEEE Big Data conference highlights, including Berkeley Data Analytics Stack, Crowdsourcing for Data Analytics, Security for Big Data and more.
- Society of Data Miners to launch at PAW London - Oct 20, 2013.
New Society of Data Miners will be launched at Predictive Analytics World, London on 23 Oct 2013. It will have to compete with SIGKDD, INFORMS, and other groups in this field.
- Top news for Oct 13-19: 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; Predictive Analytics in China - Oct 20, 2013.
7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; Predictive Analytics in China; Exclusive: Cognitive Mining and Data Mining; Top jobs: Senior Data Scientist - Discovery and Personalization at Netflix; Applied Data Scientist at Intel
- TESC online MBA in Data Analytics - Oct 19, 2013.
Online MBA in Data Analytics from Thomas Edison State College prepares students to thrive in the dynamic and rapidly expanding field of Big Data.
- 2013 IEEE ICDM Research Contributions Award: Professor Hans-Peter Kriegel - Oct 19, 2013.
Hans-Peter Kriegel is recognized for his outstanding contributions to data mining and knowledge discovery research over a wide range of topics including clustering, outlier detection and high-dimensional data analysis.
- 2013 IEEE ICDM Outstanding Service Award: Professor Geoff Webb - Oct 19, 2013.
Geoff Webb has been an active promoter of ICDM conference since its inception, and has many contributions to the entire data mining field, as Editor-in-Chief of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery journal, as organizer and PC member of many top conferences, and as an active researcher in data mining.
- Assistant/Associate Professor, Tenure-Track, Data Mining or Cybersecurity at Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA - Oct 18, 2013.
Outstanding candidates in all areas of computer science will be considered, with priority given to candidates with a research focus in either Data Mining or Cybersecurity, both defined broadly.
- Data Elite: Andreessen Horowitz Big Data incubator - Oct 18, 2013.
A new Big Data lab was launched by top VC firms in San Francisco, with plans to support 5-10 Big Data startups at a time, and providing them with space and mentorship to get started.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 16-17: Data Science Toolkit on AWS Marketplace; How to Interview a Data Scientist - Oct 18, 2013.
Data Science Toolkit on AWS Marketplace; LinkedIn Top Scientist @dtunkelang on How to Interview a Data Scientist; Intel: Applied Data Scientist, Graph Analytics, Big Data Analytics; BBVA Innova Data Mining Challenge, 1st time bank releases anonymized card transaction
- LIONbook Chapter 11: Democracy in machine learning - combining models - Oct 18, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 11 looks at Democracy in machine learning - how to combine different models in flexible, creative and effective ways.
- Big Data Analyst at RightCareSolutions, Horsham, PA - Oct 18, 2013.
Join a passionate team of entrepreneurs, be on the cutting edge of big data development and predictive modeling, interpret health data to bridge the gap with hospitals, health systems, payers, and patients.
- BBVA Innova Data Mining Challenge - Oct 17, 2013.
First time ever a bank (BBVA) allows developers and researchers to use anonymized card transaction data to design new services, applications and content, and to creating stunning visualizations.
- Assistant Professor (tenure track) in Computer Science (Data Management) at Dept. of CS, U. of Helsinki, Finland - Oct 17, 2013.
The U. of Helsinki, a top ten European university, seeks faculty in data management including distributed DB, management of big data systems, data models and data description languages. Apply by Oct 31.
- Wharton: Bring Customer Lifetime Value to Life: February, San Francisco - Oct 17, 2013.
Let by top faculty, this 2-day workshop will teach you the critical process of evaluating and forecasting the activities of your customer base.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 14-15: Tutorial: The Naive Bayes Text Classifier; Quantum Computers and Machine Learning - Oct 16, 2013.
Tutorial: The Naive Bayes Text Classifier; How Quantum Computers and Machine Learning Will Revolutionize #BigData; See how easy it is to find patterns in random data; Applied Data Science - free, self-guided online course
- BabelNet multilingual encyclopedic dictionary and ontology - Oct 16, 2013.
BabelNet is a multilingual "encyclopedic dictionary" and a multilingual ontology created by mapping the Wikipedia to WordNet, the top English computational lexicon, and by integrating other lexical resources such as OmegaWiki and the Open Multilingual WordNet.
- Applied Data Scientist at Intel Corporation, Hillsboro, Oregon - Oct 16, 2013.
Solve our customer problems, manage the full lifecycle of machine learning and big data solutions, using Graph Analytics, Big Data Analytics and Large-Scale Machine Learning.
- KDnuggets 13:n25, 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; New Poll: Big Data Science?; Cognitive Mining - Oct 16, 2013.
7 Steps for Learning Data Mining, my exclusive interview on Cognitive Mining, and latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (8) | Software (1) | Webcasts (2) | Courses, Events (2) | Meetings (1) | Jobs (2) | Competitions (2) | Publications (4) | Tweets (3) | NewsBriefs (2) | CFP (7) .
- U. of Chicago MSc in Analytics for working professionals - Oct 15, 2013.
This part-time MSc program designed for working professionals will give students thorough knowledge of analytics techniques, and the ability to apply them to real-world and business scenarios. Apply by Nov 13 for Winter 2014 start.
- Alteryx, Revolution Analytics Partner to Simplify and Scale R-Based Predictive Analytics - Oct 15, 2013.
Each company will bundle the other technology with its offerings and will continue to expand integration in future software releases.
- LIONbook Chapter 10: Statistical Learning Theory and Support Vector Machines (SVM) - Oct 15, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 10 looks at Statistical Learning Theory and Support Vector Machines (SVM).
- Has Big Data significantly changed Data Science? - Oct 15, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: Has Big Data significantly changed Data Science principles and practice? Please vote.
- LinkedIn InMaps - Visualize your network - Oct 15, 2013.
InMaps provides a visual representation of your professional Linkedin universe, and allows you to better understand your professional ties and the relationship patterns.
- Quebit: Better Decisions with Predictive Modeling: Nov 20 Webinar - Oct 15, 2013.
Learn advanced data mining techniques with QueBIT SPSS Modeler Seminar Series, starting with a free webinar on Nov 20.
- Exclusive: Cognitive Mining, Data Mining, and Statsoft - part 2 - Oct 14, 2013.
Cognitive Mining and Data Mining, data scientists mission, Big Data, privacy, and advice for beginning data scientists - Part 2 of the KDnuggets exclusive interview with StatSoft VP Dr. Thomas Hill
- Exclusive: Cognitive Mining and Data Mining - Interview with Dr. Thomas Hill - Oct 14, 2013.
What is the relationship between Cognitive Mining and Data Mining? I discuss this, what makes StatSoft different, achieveing user satisfaction, Big Data and Privacy with StatSoft VP Dr. Thomas Hill.
- Applied Data Science - Free Online Course from Syracuse - Oct 14, 2013.
This course introduces Data Science content in self-guided learning format - work your way through the course at your own pace. This course is free and a select number of participants will be invited to try it on October 28.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 11-13: Python for machine learning, Data Science; Google new R package for Big Data - Oct 14, 2013.
Python extensions for machine learning and Data Science; Google releases new R package HistogramTools for #BigData; Top news, Oct 6-12: 3 Free Big Data books on Amazon; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; Twitter Analytics: A Beginner's Guide
- Advent of Predictive Analytics in China - Oct 14, 2013.
The CEO of AsiaAnalytics examines how China current economic development turns local corporations into the world largest data guzzlers.
- Innocentive: Show Me The Data - ideation challenge - Oct 14, 2013.
The goal is to identify high-quality, anonymous, and unbiased longitudinal data sets that monitor education, work, life and career experiences of people of ages 5 to 65.
- Senior Data Scientist - Discovery and Personalization at Netflix, Los Gatos, CA - Oct 13, 2013.
Uncover key insights from our terabytes of data about how customers find and watch movies and TV shows on Netflix.
- Top news for Oct 6-12: 3 Free Big Data books on Amazon; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science - Oct 13, 2013.
3 Free Big Data books on Amazon; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; Circle of Trust and Google Plus; Top jobs: Big Data/Econometric Internship at Democrats for Education Reform; Data Mining Scientist at Apple
- KnowledgeMiner Self-learning Model for Global Warming - Oct 12, 2013.
What drives Global Warming? The KnowledgeMiner Self-learning Model from Apr 2011 matches observations at 73% accuracy, while IPCC forecast at 10%.
- Webcast: Data Science: Not Just for Big Data, Oct 16 - Oct 12, 2013.
Join Data Science experts David Smith (Revolution Analytics) and Gregory Piatetsky (KDnuggets) for an open-panel discussion hosted by Kalido, focusing on Data Science principles for any data size.
- Corral: 100 Diverse Big Data Collections - Oct 11, 2013.
To keep large scientific data for long periods of time special-purpose technologies and expertise are required. That is the purpose of Corral big data repository, which is celebrating addition of 100th unique scientific research collection.
- Kaggle: See Click Predict Fix - Oct 11, 2013.
What makes an issue urgent? What do citizens really care about? How much does location matter? Predict the most pressing 311 topics.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 9-10: 7 Steps for learning Data Mining and Data Science; 5 Data Science Deadly Sins - Oct 11, 2013.
Gregory Piatetsky outlines 7 Steps for learning Data Mining and Data Science; 5 Data Science Deadly Sins: Cherry Picking, Confirmation Bias, Data Selection Bias ...; Great job for data scientist who loves to travel; New algorithm mines your Twitter stream, finds most significant events
- 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science - Oct 10, 2013.
How to learn data mining and data science? I outline seven steps and point you to resources for becoming a data scientist.
- Predictive Analytics World, San Francisco, March 2014 - Oct 10, 2013.
Predictive Analytics World features sessions with beginner tracks to advanced tracks. There is something there for everyone - register today and save with KDnuggets discount code.
- Text Analytics West, Dec 3-4, 2013, San Francisco - Oct 10, 2013.
Join the best corporate analytics practitioners from companies like Bank of America, LinkedIn, and Express Scripts at the Text Analytics Summit West, Dec 3-4 in San Francisco - see details and get KDnuggets discount.
- Iterative-Incremental Approach for BI Implementation - Oct 9, 2013.
Despite big investments, BI projects often fail to deliver, and traditional waterfall methods have proven ineffective. The iterative approach proposed here outlines how to break large projects into more manageable pieces, and uses the idea of a "parking lot" of value-adding features.
- 3 Free Big Data books from O'Reilly on Amazon - Oct 9, 2013.
Free ebooks from O'Reilly Media, available on Amazon, look at Big Data disruptive possibilities, emerging architecture, tools, applications, and trends, with a special section on health care.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 7-8: Data Scientists need to be Polyglots; NaSent uses recursive deep learning - Oct 9, 2013.
Data Scientists need to be Polyglots; NaSent, new algorithm from Stanford, uses recursive deep learning; Less is more: How to Simplify & Sexify your Graphs; RAW: A Data Visualization tool
- FICO Webinar: Solve Your Optimization Problems Like the Pros, Oct 22 - Oct 9, 2013.
FICO shares best practices in building and deploying optimization solutions using case study examples from some of the world's leading organizations.
- Big Data/Econometric Internship at Democrats for Education Reform (DFER), Brooklyn, NY - Oct 8, 2013.
A self-motivated, high-energy and organized graduate student with experience in data analysis, statistical analysis, modeling and techniques to assist DFER in an initial build-out and implementation of a robust data-centric political platform and smaller research projects.
- Northwestern Online MS in Predictive Analytics - Oct 8, 2013.
Build in-demand skills for the growing analytics field, prepare for leadership-level career opportunities, learn from distinguished faculty and industry experts. Winter quarter application deadline: Oct 15.
- KDnuggets 13:n24, Big Data != ALL Data; Leo Breiman on Two Cultures; KDD-2013 Videolectures - Oct 8, 2013.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (10) | Software (3) | Webcasts (4) | Courses, Events (4) | Meetings (2) | Jobs (7) | Academic (4) | Competitions (1) | Publications (4) | Tweets (5) | NewsBriefs (8) | CFP (6) .
- Webcast, a Primer on Predictive Analytics for Business, Oct 8 - Oct 7, 2013.
Watch a Primer on Predictive Analytics for Business webinar (Oct 8) and learn how affordable CUNY Online MS in Data Analytics can help you excel in data science.
- Big Data does not mean we have ALL the data - Oct 7, 2013.
Does Big Data imply "You have collected all there is - all the data there is about a phenomenon". I strongly disagree with this quote from Viktor Mayer-Schonberger and Kenneth Cukier book on Big Data - here is my letter to the editor.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 4-6: Data science source code snippets; To Hadoop or Not to Hadoop? - Oct 7, 2013.
Sample source code for various data science tasks and projects; To Hadoop or Not to Hadoop? Questions to determine if you need Hadoop; Big Data experts get big salaries - $115K on average; Data Mining reveals the emotional differences in emails written by Men and Women
- DataDealer: Serious Gaming with Data Privacy - Oct 7, 2013.
Can we educate people about privacy via gaming? DataDealer is an award-winning new game, where a consumer manages the privacy of other people and organizations.
- LSHTC4: Large Scale Hierarchical Text classification - Oct 7, 2013.
This challenge has three tracks and is based on two very large, multi-class, multi-label and hierarchical datasets created from the ODP web directory (DMOZ) and Wikipedia.
- Seeking experts, instructors for Online Data Analytics Program - Oct 6, 2013.
Davenport University seeks subject matter experts and instructors for the Online Data Analytics Program. Instructors should be familiar with WEKA and willing to teach Online.
- Circle of Trust and Google Plus - Oct 6, 2013.
Circle of Trust measures how asymmetric is your Google+ relationship network, and we give you ways to visualize it with D3.
- Top news for Sep 29 - Oct 5: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms, free book (draft) download; Statistical modeling: 2 cultures - Oct 6, 2013.
Data Mining and Analysis: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms, free PDF download (draft); Statistical Modeling: The Two Cultures, by Leo Breiman; To Hadoop or Not to Hadoop?
Top jobs: Sr. Data Mining Analyst at Genworth Financial, Richmond, VA; Data Mining Scientist at Apple, Austin, TX;
- Rexer Analytics 2013 Data Miner Survey Highlights - Oct 5, 2013.
Top 5 most used tools were R (used by 70% of data miners), IBM SPSS Statistics, Rapid Miner, SAS, and Weka, while STATISTICA, KNIME, SAS JMP, IBM SPSS Modeler, and RapidMiner had the the highest satisfaction. Big Data is actually used only in a small fraction of projects.
- September Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining companies and startups - Oct 5, 2013.
The September 2013 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: SAP buys KXEN, Rocket Fuel IPO, Clarabridge Indisys, Narrative Science, Practice Fusion and more.
- CIO Review 20 Most Promising Big Data Companies - Oct 5, 2013.
CIO Review selects 20 most promising Big Data companies, from Actian to Zementis, that have achieved significant momentum and will rise above the rest.
- To Hadoop or Not to Hadoop? - Oct 4, 2013.
Hadoop is very popular, but is not a solution for all Big Data cases. Here are the questions to ask to determine if Hadoop is right for your problem.
- Open Rank Faculty of Business Practice at University of Miami, School of Business Administration, Coral Gables, FL - Oct 4, 2013.
We are particularly interested in individuals who have extensive experiences in business and marketing analytics, data visualization, data mining and machine learning.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 1-3: Data Science with R: Rattle; KDD 2013 videolectures - Oct 4, 2013.
Data Science with R: Getting Started with Rattle - a survival guide; KDD 2013 videolectures: the top researchers in Data Mining, Data Science; Statistical Modeling: The Two Cultures, by Leo Breiman; Social Media Analytics, free e-book, an overview of theory, applications, and economics
- WibiData releases Kiji Chirashi framework for Big Data Applications - Oct 4, 2013.
Kiji is an open source framework for building big data apps with Apache HBase, launched by WibiData to fill the gap between a key-value store functionality and the needs of a predictive modeling application.
- Comprehensive Health Planner II at State of Maine, Department of Health and Human Services, Augusta, ME - Oct 3, 2013.
Complete data analysis of program information, create standardized and ad hoc reports and queries from multiple data sources, and develop and maintain the Division's website. Apply by Oct 18.
- Social Media Analytics, free e-book - Oct 3, 2013.
This book gives Social Media Analytics overview, techniques, theory and applications, examines the economic impact of social networks and appropriate analytics methods.
- Faculty, Data Analytics at UTexas, Austin, TX - Oct 3, 2013.
The School of Information at U. of Texas at Austin looks for full-time, tenure-track junior and senior faculty, especially in the areas of data analytics, human-computer interaction, and archival studies.
- Q4 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Oct 3, 2013.
Many interesting upcoming meetings in Q4 2013, including Discovery Science, IEEE Big Data, ACM Mining Big Data Camp, Big Data Techcon, SAS Analytics 2013, PAW London, Strata + Hadoop World NYC, AusDM, Big Data Festival, Text Analytics Summit West, ICDM 2013, Toronto Data Marketing Conference, and many more.
- Colombia OHCHR RFP: Pilot Text Mining Project - Oct 3, 2013.
Colombian UN Office for Human Rights is looking for proposals for a pilot project using text-mining software to effectively explore and analyze scanned text documents.
- Software Engineer, financial applications at Thasos, Cambridge, MA - Oct 2, 2013.
Thasos, founded by top scientists from MIT Media Lab and Sense Networks, combines and analyzes non-financial Big Data sources in order to measure real-time company fundamentals and macro-economic developments.
- Big Data Architect at Thasos, Cambridge, MA - Oct 2, 2013.
Thasos, founded by top MIT scientists, combines and analyzes non-financial Big Data sources in order to measure real-time company fundamentals and macro-economic developments. Expertise with Hadoop, distributed file systems and large-scale datasets needed.
- Data Mining Scientist at Apple, Austin, TX - Oct 2, 2013.
Apple Data Mining Lab looks for an outstanding data scientist to to design, develop, and field data mining solutions with direct and measurable impact.
- Q4 2013 Courses on Predictive Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Oct 2, 2013.
Many great courses, including Text Analytics and Sentiment Mining, Data Mining: Principles and Best Practices, Supercomputer Data Mining Boot Camp, Survival Analysis, Net lift (Uplift) models, Machine Learning, and Predictive Analytics and Data Mining Model Development and Strategic Implementation.
- Upcoming October Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - Oct 2, 2013.
Check A Primer on Predictive Analytics for Business, Data Discovery Platforms, Data Mining: Failure to Launch, and Data Science: Not Just for Big Data - with Gregory Piatetsky and David Smith
- Statistical Modeling: The Two Cultures, by Leo Breiman - Oct 1, 2013.
There are two cultures in the use of statistical modeling to reach conclusions from data. One assumes that the data are generated by a given stochastic data model. The other uses algorithmic models and treats the data mechanism as unknown - read the full paper.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 27-30: Data Mining and Analysis, free book (draft) download; Random Forests Algorithm - why it works - Oct 1, 2013.
New Book: Data Mining and Analysis: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms, free PDF dow; Random Forests Algorithm - what is it, why does it work so well; Penn researchers use Facebook data to predict users age, gender, personality; Google Hummingbird is a completely new search algorithm and incredibly no one noticed
- KDD 2013 videolectures: watch the top researchers in Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery - Oct 1, 2013.
A treasure of latest Data Mining and Data Science research is now available, with videolectures of KDD-2013, ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining held recently in Chicago.
- IMARS: IBM Multimedia Analysis and Retrieval System - Oct 1, 2013.
IMARS is a desktop system for automatic indexing, classification, and searching of large collections of digital images and videos.
- U. Chicago MS in Analytics - Information Sessions, Oct 9 and 16. - Oct 1, 2013.
U. of Chicago Graham School Master of Science in Analytics - join us for an Information Session, Oct 9 online, Oct 16 at Gleacher Center.
- Top news, jobs in September: Cartoon: Next Trend after Big Data; Poll results: Has Big Data Reached the Hype Peak? - Oct 1, 2013.
KDnuggets Cartoon: Next Trend after Big Data; New Poll: Has Big Data Reached the Hype Peak and is due for Decline and Disillusionment?; edX: Learning from Data, free online course
Top jobs: Data Mining Scientist at Apple, Austin, TX; Machine Learning Scientists at Amazon, Bangalore, India;
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in September - Oct 1, 2013.
Luminoso, Quadbase, Skyttle, Vitria, Zoomdata, and more companies, datasets, education, Big Data and Analytics meetings, software, and solutions added to KDnuggets.