- Yahoo SAMOA, Open Source Platform for Mining Big Data Streams - Nov 30, 2013.
Yahoo SAMOA (Scalable Advanced Massive Online Analysis) is a framework for mining big data streams and applying distributed machine learning algorithms. You can think of SAMOA as Mahout for streaming.
- Project Tycho digitized 125 years of Public Health and Disease Data - Nov 29, 2013.
Project Tycho: UPitt researchers have collected and digitized all weekly surveillance reports for reportable diseases in the United States going back more than 125 years.
- LIONbook Chapter 15: Dimensionality reduction - Nov 28, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 15 looks at Dimensionality reduction by linear transformations (projections).
- LIONbook Chapter 14: Self-organizing maps - Nov 28, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 14 looks at Self-organizing maps.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 25-26: Python displacing R in Data Science; This #BigData application will grow! - Nov 27, 2013.
Python displacing R as The Language for Data Science; This #BigData application will grow! What distinguishes data science from statistics? Bottom-up (data-driven) vs top-down ; Rifiniti: Sr. Machine Learning Developer, cutting edge tech
- Scientist, Advanced Computing for Development at QCRI, Qatar Computing Research Institute, Doha, Qatar - Nov 26, 2013.
Work on our Data for Development and Resilience projects with the UN, Rockefeller Foundation and the World bank.
- IJBDI-International Journal of Big Data Intelligence - Nov 26, 2013.
International Journal of Big Data Intelligence (IJBDI) is a peer reviewed multidisciplinary international journal publishing original and high-quality articles covering a wide range of topics in big data intelligence.
- Big Data Jobs Index from icrunchdata - Nov 26, 2013.
icrunchdata compiled an interesting index to help visualize the present state and future job growth trends in Analytics, Big Data, Business Intelligence, Data Science, Software Development and Statistics.
- Senior Machine Learning Developer at Rifiniti, Boston, MA - Nov 26, 2013.
Work with the founders and a growing ecosystem of business partners and customers to build cutting edge technologies in big data, machine learning, and real time intelligence.
- ASA - American Statistical Association and Big Data - Nov 26, 2013.
The leaders of ASA - American Statistical Association discuss their view on Big Data, 3 reasons why statistical community seems to be disconnected from the Big Data movement, and how they plan to fix it.
- KDnuggets 13:n29, Thanksgiving and Big Data Cartoon; Harvard Data Science Course - Nov 26, 2013.
Thanksgiving and Big Data Cartoon; Harvard Data Science Course resources - free and online; KDnuggets Poll; What Lies Ahead for Big Data and Analytics; Top research confrences, and other analytics/data mining news.
- Upcoming December Webcasts and Chats on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - Nov 25, 2013.
Webcast highlights include Predictive Talent Analytics, Is Data Science Your Next Career, What Lies Ahead for Big Data and Analytics, IIA 2014 Analytics Predictions, and Int. Year of Statistics Panel.
- Cartoon: Thanksgiving, Big Data, and Turkey Data Science - Nov 25, 2013.
To mark the the upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday, KDnuggets Cartoon imagines Big Data and Turkey Data Science.
- IBM Webcast, Dec 6: What Lies Ahead for Big Data and Analytics - Nov 25, 2013.
More people than ever are interested in how big data and analytics can give them an edge. Join the panelists, Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, Editor of KDNuggets, and Michael Karasick, VP of research in IBM acclaimed Almaden Research as they delve into these topics and give us a look at what they think will be the hottest topics and developments of 2014.
- Lecture: Social Network Analysis for Fraud Detection - Nov 25, 2013.
As traditional techniques often fail to identify fraudulent behavior, social network analytics offers new insights in the propagation of fraud through a network - watch this short overview.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 22-24: 50 R functions to clear a basic interview; Netflix Big Data Platform as a Service - Nov 25, 2013.
R Guru Ajay Ohri list of 50 R functions to clear a basic interview; Netflix #BigData Platform as a Service architecture; Harvard Data Science Course, free resources online; Google Chairman Eric Schmidt on why Data Analytics is the Future
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World 2014, San Francisco, super early bird - Nov 25, 2013.
Don't miss the predictive analytics industry BEST event. Before you fill up on your Thanksgiving feast, fill up your pockets with savings - get Super Early Bird pricing for Predictive Analytics World by Dec 6.
- Senior Knowledge Analyst at Boston Consulting Group (BCG), Boston, MA - Nov 25, 2013.
All aspects of advanced analytics, from helping to create relevant service offerings to executing analytics work and continuing to expand the analytical foundation and competitive value proposition.
- Knowledge Expert, Operations Analytics at Boston Consulting Group (BCG), Boston, MA - Nov 25, 2013.
All aspects of Operations analytics, from helping to create relevant service offerings by working with priority global Practice Areas, to leading the execution of analytics work and continuing to expand the analytical foundation.
- Knowledge Expert, Marketing & Sales Analytics at Boston Consulting Group (BCG), Boston, MA - Nov 24, 2013.
Responsible for all aspects of Marketing & Sales analytics, from helping to create relevant service offerings by working with priority global Practice Areas, to leading the execution of analytics work and continuing to expand the analytical foundation and competitive value proposition.
- Knowledge Analyst at bcg, Boston, MA - Nov 24, 2013.
Responsible for executing technical analytics that deliver valuable insights to BCG clients in collaboration with BCG case teams.
- HedgeChatter: Can Social Media Analytics predict stock market price? - Nov 24, 2013.
HedgeChatter has launched an online SaaS dashboard that allows investors, traders and hedge funds to see how key influencers on social media are affecting stock price and view price trends based on real-time social media data (chatter).
- Top news for Nov 17-23: Harvard Data Science Course, free resources online; Huge Web Graph available - Nov 24, 2013.
Harvard CS109 Data Science Course, Resources Free and Online; WDC Huge Web Graph - 128 billion hyperlinks - publicly available; KDnuggets Review of Analytics Marketplaces
- Sentiment Analysis Symposium 2014 features top companies - Nov 23, 2013.
Amazon, Huffington Post, American Express, MIT Media Lab, IBM, Gnip Speakers to Headline 2014 Sentiment Analysis Symposium in New York, March 5-6 in New York at the New York Academy of Sciences.
- KDD-2014, Top Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, New York - Nov 23, 2013.
KDD, the leading research conference in the field, will feature top research and application papers, industry practice, KDD Cup, workshops, tutorials, keynotes from field leaders, exhibits, and much more. Abstracts due Feb 13.
- Sr. Financial Analyst at ZeniMax Online, Hunt Valley, MD - Nov 22, 2013.
ZeniMax Online Studios, a premier developer and worldwide publisher of world-class online games, seeks a talented, energetic Sr. Financial Analyst for our growing finance/accounting dept.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 20-21: Harvard CS109 Data Science Course free online lectures; Data Science and Text Mining with R - Nov 22, 2013.
Harvard Data Science Course excellent lectures/slides free online; Data Science and Text Mining with R - very useful 27-page overview ; Must read: Deep Learning 101; Top Schools for MS in Data Science
- Top Research Conferences in Data Mining, Data Science - Nov 21, 2013.
We examine the top Data Mining and Data Science conferences. The top 5 by field rating are KDD, ICDE, IEEE ICDM, CIKM, and SIAM SDM.
- Research Assistant, Jr. Researcher in Complex Event Processing at NCSR Demokritos, Greece - Nov 21, 2013.
The Software and Knowledge Engineering Laboratory at NCSR Demokritos is looking for a research assistant and a junior researcher in the Complex Event Recognition group.
- IBM and SAP Big Data Science chats on Dec 4 - Nov 21, 2013.
By an interesting coincidence, IBM and SAP have back-to-back online chats on Data Science and Big Data on Dec 4, to examine the changing role of the data scientist and Data Science careers.
- RapidMiner 6 adds application wizards, better visualization, ease of use - Nov 21, 2013.
The new application wizards put the power of predictive analytics into the hands of the business users and deliver the value within 5 minutes of installation. Other new features include suggestions for best visualization and ability to display results in multiple ways.
- Group Leader Data Mining at Bosch Research and Technology Center, Palo Alto, CA - Nov 20, 2013.
Lead a team which researches data mining and large-scale machine learning algorithms and systems and applications to Bosch products and services in many domains, including Predictive Maintenance, Health Informatics, and Vehicle Diagnostics.
- Harvard CS109 Data Science Course, Resources Free and Online - Nov 20, 2013.
Harvard Fall 2013 CS109 Data Science is an excellent course, and most of its resources, including video archive and lecture slides, are freely available online - what a fantastic way to get ivy-league quality education (although without a diploma).
- TDWI Launches Big Data Maturity Model Assessment Guide, Online Test - Nov 20, 2013.
Online assessment and downloadable assessment guide enable organizations to determine the maturity of their big data analytics program; guide offers best practices for moving to the next level. Take the assessment free, online.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 18-19: Must read: Deep Learning 101; "Pythonization" of data analysis - Nov 20, 2013.
Must read for Data Scientists: Deep Learning 101; The "Pythonization" of scientific computing and data analysis; Python for Data Science - a walkthrough of a complete project
- Machine Leaning Engineer/Data Scientist at Adobe, San Jose, CA - Nov 20, 2013.
Work on both research and development projects to help build the next generation of products that will allow digital marketers to maximize revenue and expand their brand presence.
- KDnuggets 13:n28, Where did you apply data mining? Analytics Marketplaces; Boston DataFest - Nov 20, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll: Where did you apply analytics/data mining in 2013? KDnuggets review of Analytics App Marketplaces; My report on Boston DataFest and the next Big Thing in Big Data, and more.
- ETL and Big Data Architect at Bosch Research and Technology Center, Palo Alto, CA - Nov 19, 2013.
Big Data and Data Mining is impacting Bosch products and services in many other areas, so come and join our rapidly growing team of data scientists and software engineers.
- Big Data ETL Developer at Bosch Research and Technology Center, Palo Alto, CA - Nov 19, 2013.
Big Data and Data Mining is impacting Bosch products and services in Predictive Maintenance, Health Informatics, Vehicle Diagnostics, and many other areas. We expect our team of data scientists and software engineers to grow rapidly, so come join us!
- Data Science not just for Big Data: Video and Slides - Nov 19, 2013.
While big data certainly brings changes to data science, major data science principles remain unchanged regardless of the data size. Watch leading experts David Smith from Revolution Analytics and Gregory Piatetsky from KDnuggets discuss key data science principles.
- Senior Software Engineer - Analytics at Bosch, Palo Alto, CA - Nov 19, 2013.
The Data Mining Service Center at Bosch provides Data Mining, Data Science and Big Data services to many Bosch business units, including Purchasing, Predictive Maintenance, Health Informatics, Vehicle Diagnostics, Manufacturing, and Large-Scale Simulations.
- IBM SPSS Modeler Cookbook - Nov 19, 2013.
New book by leading analytics professionals shows how to get the most from IBM SPSS Modeler, using detailed step-by-step examples to help you build the models you can deploy in your business.
- Quebit: Better Decisions with Predictive Modeling: Nov 20 Webinar - Nov 19, 2013.
Learn advanced data mining techniques with QueBIT SPSS Modeler Seminar Series, starting with a free webinar on Nov 20.
- SiSense: Cutting the Cost of Business Analytics - Nov 19, 2013.
Download this paper to learn how to significantly cut Business Analytics costs with smart Software, Hardware, and Human Resource choices.
- Sr. Big Data Engineer / Architect at BehaviorMatrix, Blue Bell, PA (outside Philadelphia) - Nov 18, 2013.
Looking for a talented, energetic individual with demonstrated excellence in delivering robust solutions based on leading-edge technologies in the field of big data analytics.
- Data Scientist at BehaviorMatrix, Blue Bell, PA (outside Philadelphia) - Nov 18, 2013.
Join a rapidly growing leader in Big Data Emotional Analytics; we apply cutting-edge paradigms in computing, novel and fundamental scientific discoveries, and powerful algorithmic tools to measure and use the emotional signals in digital media.
- KDnuggets Review of Analytics Marketplaces: The Next Big Thing for Big Data - Nov 18, 2013.
We review Analytics App Marketplaces from Alteryx, Amazon (AWS), BigML, Datameer, RapidMiner, and Windows Azure. Who will create the next iTunes for Analytics?
- SBP 2014 Grand Challenge: explore GDELT, Global Database of Events, Language and Tone - Nov 18, 2013.
Explore the Global Database of Events, Language and Tone (GDELT), covering 250M geo-referenced political news events since 1979, to do interesting tasks, such as show applications of spatial, temporal and network methodologies, find latent "influencers", validate and improve models for social phenomena, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 15-17: Must read for Data Scientists: Deep Learning 101; Huge web graph publicly available for research - Nov 18, 2013.
Must read for Data Scientists: Deep Learning 101 (hot algorithm that wins competitions); Huge web graph publicly available for research, 3.5B web pages); Scandal: Due to bad data analysis, ~25% of studies may be false; Statistics is the *least* important part of data science
- Top 10 trends in text analytics - Nov 17, 2013.
Data Driven Business recently interviewed forward thinking text analytics professionals from leading companies like Bank of America, Home Depot and PayPal, on challenges they are face, overcoming them, and the industry as a whole.
- Top news for Nov 10-16: Field Guide to Data Science, free download; Chordalysis: a new method to discover data structure - Nov 17, 2013.
Booz Allen "Field Guide to Data Science" - free download; Chordalysis: a new method to discover the structure of data; IBM Opens the Watson Cognitive Platform for Developers.
- WDC Huge Web Graph - 128 billion hyperlinks - publicly available - Nov 16, 2013.
Huge Web Graph, with 3.5 billion pages and 128 billion hyperlinks is now publicly available for web and network research. This is probably the largest publicly available graph.
- New Poll: Where did you apply Analytics/Data Mining/Data Science? - Nov 16, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll: Where did you apply Analytics/Data Mining/Data Science in 2013? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com.
- Future of Foresight Analytics - Making Organizations Smarter About Corporate Decision Making - Nov 16, 2013.
This guest post examines Insight and Analytic functions and what they need to effectively evolve by addressing key elements of the Insight and Analytics Value Chain(tm).
- PhD position on Big Data Mining for Customer Analytics at Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium - Nov 15, 2013.
Development of new predictive data mining techniques tailored to big data; and application to a variety of marketing analytics and risk management domains, with a focus on scalability and privacy.
- Professor (Open Rank) at WPI - Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA - Nov 15, 2013.
WPI invites applications for a tenure track (open rank) Professor position in Computer Science or Mathematics with a research focus in Data Science to begin in the Fall of 2014.
- IBM Analytics Talent Assessment For Aspiring Data Scientists - Nov 15, 2013.
IBM Analytics Talent Assessment will be launched at 8 universities to provide students with data-driven insights that aim to help narrow the Big Data and Analytics skills gap and foster talent for the next-generation workforce.
- Big Data Influencers Q4 2013 - Nov 15, 2013.
Onalytica 2013 Q4 list of #BigData Influencers on Tweeter is led by @KirkDBorne, @jameskobielus, @timoelliott, @BernardMarr, and @kdnuggets. We compare their list with Klout and find only one intersection among top influencers.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 13-14: LIONbook Ch. 13: Bottom-up clustering; Databases for text analysis - Nov 15, 2013.
LIONbook Ch. 13: Bottom-up clustering, part of The LIONbook on machine learning; Databases for text analysis: archive and access texts using SQL and python ; Data Science vs Data Scientists, Data Analysts and BI Practitioners; Top 10 Blogs in 2013 from The #BigData Institute
- LIONbook Chapter 13: Bottom-up (agglomerative) clustering - Nov 14, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 13 looks at Bottom-up (agglomerative) clustering.
- Boston Data Festival and Next Trends in Big Data - Nov 14, 2013.
Boston first-ever Data Festival gathers hundreds of analytics professionals, and All-Star Big Data panel answers what is next in Big Data and which trends are least likely to be successful.
- IBM Opens the Watson Cognitive Platform for Developers - Nov 14, 2013.
IBM opens the Watson Cognitive Platform to global community of developers, wants to fuel a new era of intelligent cognitive apps built in the cloud.
- Predictive Analytics Cloud: Opportunities, Trends and Big Data Impact - Nov 13, 2013.
Highlights from a significant new report by Decision Management Solutions on Predictive Analytics in the Cloud: Opportunities, Trends and Big Data Impact. The top driver was reduced cost while data security and privacy remain the primary obstacles reported. Download this free report.
- EMVIC 2014: Eye Movements Verification and Identification Competition - Nov 13, 2013.
The aim of the contest is to determine how people may be identified based on their eye movement characteristic. No special equipment required - the organizers provide a dataset of eye movement recordings.
- NYU, Berkeley, UW multi-million partnership to harness potential of data scientists and Big Data - Nov 13, 2013.
NYU, UC Berkeley and U. of Washington launch a 5-year, $37.8M cross-institutional effort, which aims to improve interactions between researchers in specific subjects and computational experts, develop an ecosystem of analytical tools and research practices, and establish data-centric career paths.
- Game Analytics Manager at Ubisoft Entertainment, Montreal, Canada - Nov 13, 2013.
Implement best analytical practices, enhance and develop game data processing, and lead the team in translate stakeholder questions into actionable quantitative analyses based on player behaviours.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 11-12: 5 Fundamental Concepts of Data Science; 11 TED talks explore the dark side of #BigData - Nov 13, 2013.
5 Fundamental Concepts of Data Science; 11 TED talks explore the dark side of #BigData ; Nobel winner Daniel Kahneman: humans are BAD intuitive statisticians; Data Science Workflow - Overview and Challenges
- KDnuggets 13:n27: Twitter and Quantum Physics, Badmandments, Field Guide to Data Science, Chordalysis - Nov 13, 2013.
Twitter and Quantum Physics connection; John Tukey "Badmandments"; Strata 2013 videos; Chordalysis: a new method to discover the structure of data, and more analytics/data mining news.
- Upcoming Nov-Dec Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - Nov 12, 2013.
Webcast highlights include Analytically Speaking with John Pullinger, Data Mining: Failure to Launch, Fighting Fraud with Analytics, SPSS Modeler training, and Predicting Life Changes from Financial Activity.
- Data Marketing 2013, Toronto, Dec 9-10, Free VIP pass - Nov 12, 2013.
KDnuggets has 2 free VIP passes to DATA MARKETING 2013 (Toronto, Dec 9-10), which presents the latest in technology and data for marketers. Contact KDnuggets by Nov 15 if interested.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World, San Francisco, March 2014, Agenda released - Nov 12, 2013.
San Francisco will host the top predictive analytics experts, practitioners, authors, and business thought leaders at Predictive Analytics World. The detailed agenda has just been released and this event is not to be missed.
- Data Scientist/Statistician at WeddingWire, Chevy Chase, MD - Nov 12, 2013.
We are growing our Data Science team and looking for curious and nimble "math magicians" to predict the future and help us draw the map to get there.
- Vice-President, Marketing Analytics & Business Intelligence at Progressive Business Publications (PBP), Malvern, PA - Nov 12, 2013.
Collaborate with the executive leadership and be responsible for building, leading and growing an advanced, competitive analytics and business intelligence function.
- KPMG Capital Investment Fund for Big Data and Analytics - Nov 12, 2013.
KPMG Capital will support technology partnerships, strategic alliances and the recruitment of top talent to create new Data and Analytics solutions. Currently, 69% of business leaders see data and analytics as strategically important, but only 4% say their company is using them effectively.
- Yandex Personalized Web Search Challenge - Nov 12, 2013.
The challenge ask participants to re-rank URLs of each SERP returned by the search engine according to the personal preferences of the users - personalize search using the long-term (user history based) and short-term (session-based) user context.
- Data Analysis Consultant at Megaputer, Bloomington, IN - Nov 12, 2013.
Create data analysis and reporting solutions for Megaputer customers with the help of PolyAnalyst(tm) platform: experimental, proof-of-concept, implementation, and production projects. Develop successful long-term relationships with customers.
- Chordalysis: a new method to discover the structure of data - Nov 12, 2013.
This new method helps you answer "why" - understand the reasons for prediction. It uses chordal graphs to scale the classical method of log-linear analysis to much larger datasets.
- Data Scientist at Edmunds, Santa Monica, CA - Nov 11, 2013.
Work on a wide range of projects, using everything from recommendation engines to user segmentation and clustering, and make an impact on how manufacturers, auto dealers, and consumers interact.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 8-10: Field Guide to Data Science, free download; Hilary Mason plans her own startup - Nov 11, 2013.
Booz Allen Field Guide to Data Science (free download); Star Data Scientist Hilary Mason plans on starting her own company; Learn Data Science in 12 Intense Weeks at Zipfian Academy
- NYU Stern MS in Business Analytics - Nov 11, 2013.
NYU Stern MS in Business Analytics is for experienced professionals, and teaches in 5 intensive 1-2 week sessions how to understand the role of evidence-based data in decision-making and to leverage data as a valuable and predictive strategic asset.
- Booz Allen "Field Guide to Data Science" - free download - Nov 10, 2013.
The guide includes an introductory section, the practitioners guide to Data Science, a first hand account of life as a Data Scientist, tips and tricks, and an overview of successful data science solutions. Free Download.
- Top news for Nov 3-9: 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; Twitter and Quantum Physics? John Tukey "Badmandments" - Nov 10, 2013.
7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; John Tukey "Badmandments"; Yang-Mills: A million dollar connection between Twitter and quantum physics?
Top jobs: Advanced Data Mining Engineer StubHub at eBay; Multiple PhD vacancies on Process Mining at TU/E
- Multiple PhD vacancies on Process Mining at TU/E, Technical University Eindhoven, Eindhoven, Netherlands - Nov 9, 2013.
Several PhD vacancies for people with a strong background in data mining, machine learning, process analytics, predictive analytics, or Big Data.
- Learn Data Science in 12 Intense Weeks at Zipfian Academy - Nov 9, 2013.
Zipfian Academy is a school teaching data science through an immersive 12-week program in San Francisco. Learn with hands-on projects and data scientist mentors, and connect with top Bay area companies. Applications accepted now for Winter cohort (Jan 26 - Apr 11, 2014).
- IEEE ICDM 2013 International Conference on Data Mining, Dallas, Dec 7-10 - Nov 9, 2013.
IEEE ICDM ia a leading research conference in data mining, with excellent invited talks, technical papers, workshops and tutorials. Travel awards available for graduate students.
- Webinar: Predictive Analytics - Customer Churn Modeling, Dec 3 - Nov 9, 2013.
This webinar will show how to build a churn model, which allows you to identify customers with high churn risk, and act to proactively to keep them.
- Senior NLP Engineer at Kanjoya, San Francisco, CA - Nov 9, 2013.
We develop technologies that enable real understanding of human expression. Our platform extracts detailed emotion-based insights from text content.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 6-7: Google Python Lessons are awesome and free; Data Analysis course at Coursera - Nov 8, 2013.
Google Python Lessons are awesome and available online, for free! ; Data Analysis course now open at Coursera; The worst part of working at Google, for many people: overqualified; Bristol: Senior postdocs in machine learning/data mining, health applications
- October Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining companies and startups activity - Nov 7, 2013.
The October 2013 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Monsanto buys Climate Corp for $1.1B, MongoDB raises $150M, Facebook buys Onavo, Pivotal buys Xtreme Labs.
- New dataset: London Pulse: Medical Officer of Health Reports, 1848-1972 - Nov 7, 2013.
They contain personal accounts by the Medical Officers and statistical data in the form of graphs, tables and charts, offering a rich source of material for public health research.
- Postdoc in machine learning/data mining at Bristol, Bristol, UK - Nov 7, 2013.
Looking for highly experienced postdocs to work on the SPHERE (a Sensor Platform for Healthcare in a Residential Environment) project - great opportunity to make your mark in machine learning and data mining for health applications. Apply by Dec 2.
- NineSigma RFP: Numerical Data Retrieval Algorithm Using Natural Language - Nov 7, 2013.
NineSigma is seeking a software algorithm that uses a natural language query to retrieve matching results from large-scale time-series data sets created from measurements taken at industrial plant facilities. Submit by Nov 25.
- 4 Steps to Successfully Evaluating Business Analytics Software - Nov 7, 2013.
Find out 4 Steps to successfully evaluating business analytics software: the differences between BI/Analytics stacks, how to choose technology that will scale to your long-term requirements, and more.
- Big Data Top-Read Articles - Nov 6, 2013.
The most read articles include why Why Big Data Won't Cure Us, Data Science and its Relationship to Big Data, The Quantified Self, and Apache Drill: Interactive Ad-Hoc Analysis at Scale.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 4-5: Venture capital in an age of algorithms; Stanford Big Data Mining Courses Online - Nov 6, 2013.
Venture capital in an age of algorithms: using data science to fund startups; Stanford Big Data Mining, Finance, Statistics Courses Online; How data mining helped GM limit a recall to just 4 (four) cars; 10 strangest data findings: unusual color cars are more reliable
- Plot.ly, collaborative data analysis and graphing - Nov 6, 2013.
Plotly allows you bring your data from anywhere, clean it up fast, analyze or simulate, and graph it interactively, and share and collaborate.
- Webcast: Analytically Speaking International Year of Statistics Panel, Dec 11 - Nov 5, 2013.
The leading experts on statistics and data science will tell their stories about the value of statistics to science, industry, health, business and beyond. Register for this insightful Dec 11 webcast.
- 4 Postdoc Positions In CS and Population Genetics at Project Sage, UK, Germany, Austria - Nov 5, 2013.
Four outstanding postdoctoral candidates are required to support the 2M euro EU-funded project "Speed of Adaptation in Population Genetics and Evolutionary Computation" (SAGE).
- Sr Data Miner/Predictive Modeler at BIS Consulting Inc. (long-term contract at high-tech company in Silicon Valley), San Jose, CA - Nov 5, 2013.
Support our high-tech client in their Marketing Organization, develop analytical models across the enterprise, using SAS, to discover trends to help marketing make better business.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 1-3: Videos from 2013 Strata + Hadoop World; Top 10 data mining algorithms, updated - Nov 5, 2013.
Videos from 2013 Strata Big Data Conference + Hadoop World ; My answer to What are the top 10 data mining or machine learning algorithms? ; Star Data Scientist Hilary Mason on her favorite iPhone data app; Really Big, #BigData Job growth infographic
- Stanford Big Data Mining, Finance, Statistics Courses Online - Nov 5, 2013.
"Big data" needs YOU! Stanford University certificates in data mining and statistics give you the knowledge, and credential, to prove you are the best for the job. Enroll for winter quarter courses thru Dec 9.
- Engineer, Software Systems at SIG, Near Philadelphia, PA - Nov 4, 2013.
Help us develop real-time systems to help us turn web information into actionable trading ideas, and architect the next generation of our signals infrastructure.
- Big Data Or Bad Data, an initiative by the Senseable City Lab at the MIT, Nov 15 - Nov 4, 2013.
BIG DATA OR BAD DATA, an initiative by the Senseable City Lab at the MIT, will kick off with a panel between Noam Chomsky, Barton Gellman, Pulitzer-prize winning journalist and publisher of Edward Snowden leaks in the Washington Post, and possibly a special speaker connected via remote link.
- Nov-Jan Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Nov 4, 2013.
26 upcoming meetings in Nov 2013 - Jan 2014, including Boston Data Festival, Engaging Data 2013 at MIT, global Big Data Festival, Text Analytics Summit West, Big Data and Analytics Innovation Summits in Beijing, ICDM 13, and EGC 2014.
- RapidMiner gets $5M funding, rebrands, plans expansion - Nov 4, 2013.
RapidMiner, formerly Rapid-I, raised $5M from VCs that backed MySQL; Rebrands as RapidMiner with a new web site, renaming of predictive analytics product line; moves headquarters to Boston.
- Advanced Data Mining Engineer StubHub at eBay, San Francisco, CA - Nov 3, 2013.
Seeking an incredibly smart and highly motivated problem solver to address marketplace trust issues with big data analytics; work with a team of scientists, technologists, and engineers to improve the customer experience.
- Yang-Mills: A million dollar connection between Twitter and quantum physics? - Nov 3, 2013.
Is there a link between Social network connections, as revealed on Twitter, and Quantum Physics, specifically Quantum Yang-Mills theory, one of Millenium $1 Million math problems?
- Salford Systems Data Mining Training, online or on-site, Dec 11-13 - Nov 3, 2013.
Salford Systems will be offering an online option for their annual data mining training course, covering exactly the same material as for those attending in-person. Dec 11-13, 2013.
- John Tukey "Badmandments" - Nov 3, 2013.
"Badmandments" from great statistician John Tukey: NEVER plan any analysis before seeing data; DONT consult with a statistician until after collecting data; LARGE enough samples always tell the truth.
- Top news for Oct 27 - Nov 2: Free Book: Advanced Text Mining; Strata 2013 Videos; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining - Nov 3, 2013.
Free Book: Theory and Applications for Advanced Text Mining; Strata 2013 Videos; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; Top jobs: Adjunct Faculty, develop, teach on/off-line courses on Data Mining, Data Science at NYU; Text Mining Sentiment Analyst at SCM
- Videos from 2013 Strata Big Data Conference + Hadoop World - Nov 2, 2013.
Strata Conference + Hadoop World brings together the people, tools, and technologies that make data work. Watch the videos from 2013 conference, including Ken Rudin (Facebook) on Big Impact from Big Data", Claudia Perlich on separating ad bots from humans, and Doug Cutting, co-founder of Hadoop, on Hadoop future.
- Datameer $49 Charity Edition: Leveraging Hadoop to Help Save Elephants - Nov 1, 2013.
Hadoop was named after a toy elephant but it can help save real African Elephants. To help pay for the care, feeding, and rehabilitation of orphaned elephants, Datameer will donate 100% of proceeds from sales in November of its new $49 Charity Edition to Pro Wildlife.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 30-31: How Mac Mini beat a Hadoop cluster; 6 startups want to disrupt #BigData - Nov 1, 2013.
How GraphChi algorithm on a Mac Mini outperformed a 1,636 Node Hadoop Cluster; These 6 startups want to disrupt #BigData world; The Mathematical Shape of Big Science Data; 10 #BigData case studies
- Online MS in Data Analytics CUNY SPS - Nov 1, 2013.
The CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS) offers a fully online, low-cost MS in Data Analytics program that prepares graduates to manage, identify patterns and draw insights from large amounts of data.
- Top news in October: 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; 3 Free Big Data books; To Hadoop or Not? - Nov 1, 2013.
7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; 3 Free Big Data books from O'Reilly on Amazon; To Hadoop or Not to Hadoop?
Top jobs: Senior Data Scientist - Discovery and Personalization at Netflix, Los Gatos, CA; Applied Data Scientist at Intel Corporation, Hillsboro, Oregon;
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in October - Nov 1, 2013.
Asia Analytics, Corral Big Data repository, Chordalysis, IBM IMARS, SQLPASS 2014, Quantcell, and more Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science companies, datasets, education, faq, meetings, and software.