- Top Languages for analytics, data mining, data science - Aug 27, 2013.
The most popular languages continue to be R (used by 61% of KDnuggets readers), Python (39%), and SQL (37%). SAS is stable at around 20%. The highest growth was for Pig/Hive/Hadoop-based languages, R, and SQL, while Perl, C/C++, and Unix tools declined. We also find a small affinity between R and Python users.
- DataXu: 5th fastest growing company on Inc 5000 - Aug 25, 2013.
DataXu was ranked 5th on Inc 5000 fastest growing US companies. We look at DataXu and other fast growing analytics and Big Data companies.
- Top news for Aug 18-24: Stanford Data Mining and Statistics Online Courses; Data Scientists and Start-ups - Aug 25, 2013.
Stanford Data Mining and Statistics Online Courses; Data Scientists Guide to Making Money from Start-ups; 2013 Acquisitions in Analytics and Big Data
Top jobs: Research Scientist: Data Mining at Bethesda company, Bethesda, MD; Data Mining Programmer at Real Time Data Solution, Toronto, Canada;
- DARPA SBIR: Defense Against National Vulnerabilities in Public Data - Aug 23, 2013.
Could a modestly funded group deliver nation-state type effects using only public data? This DARPA SBIR calls to investigate the US national security threat posed by public data and develop tools to characterize and assess the nature, persistence, and quality of the data. Opens: Aug 26, Closes Sep 25, 2013.
- White House Expands Guidance on Promoting Open Data - Aug 21, 2013.
White House officials announced expanded technical guidance to help agencies make more data accessible to the public in machine-readable formats.
- 2013 Acquisitions in Analytics and Big Data - Aug 21, 2013.
We review 2013 acquisitions in Analytics and Big Data, by Actian, EMC, Facebook, Google, IBM, Twitter, WalmartLabs and more. What is the worth of an engineer in acqui-hire?
- CDMC2013: Cybersecurity Data Mining Competition - Aug 20, 2013.
The focus of this competition is on application of knowledge discovery techniques for protecting personal computer information by means of detection, preventive measures, and responding to various attacks.
- Forbes on Data Science: "Half-Life Of A Buzzword" - Aug 20, 2013.
Read the discussion on the half-life of a buzzword and is "Data Science" replacing "Business Analytics" as the popular degree title for people interested in data and analytics.
- Top news for Aug 11-17: Nate Silver 11 statistics principles for journalists; Mining a Data Mining Conference - Aug 18, 2013.
Nate Silver at JSM: 11 statistics principles for journalists; Mining a Data Mining Conference: Analytics on KDD-2013; Coursera Andrew Ng: Education for Everyone
Top jobs: Software Developer, Machine Learning at SGI; Data Mining Programmer at Real Time Data Solution
- Coursera Andrew Ng on Online Revolution: Education for Everyone - Aug 15, 2013.
My report on KDD-2013 Keynote talk by Coursera co-founder Andrew Ng, on Coursera far-reaching experiment in education, which collected more educational data in one year and all the universities in the history of mankind. Andrew Ng believes that great education should not be only for the privileged but should be a fundamental human right.
- Data Scientists Guide to Making Money from Start-ups - Aug 15, 2013.
How should data scientists think about starting or joining a start-up? We summarize the advice from a high-powered KDD-2013 panel of leading data scientists/enterpreneurs who share their start-up experience.
- Mining a Data Mining Conference: Analytics on KDD-2013 - Aug 15, 2013.
We look at interesting analytics and statistics from KDD-2013 Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. Which topics are hot, and which are most likely to be accepted?
- Microsoft REEF, new open source big data framework - Aug 15, 2013.
REEF (Retainable Evaluator Execution Framework) is a big data framework that sits on top of Hadoop new YARN resource manager, and is especially well suited for building machine learning jobs.
- Catalysis Big Data Satisfaction Survey - Aug 13, 2013.
This 4 minute survey want to measure how satisfied are you with your data systems, reporting, and analytics tools. Please take part - answers will be published on KDnuggets
- DMA Analytics Challenge 2013 - Aug 13, 2013.
DMA annual analytics challenge, open to academia and industry, and sponsored by Cleveland Clinic, will require the participants to solve a patient re-activation problem.
- MarineExplore - Ocean Big Data Platform - Aug 13, 2013.
MarineExplore.org is an Open Data spatio-temporal data platform designed for secure data management and analytics on distributed sources, without ever relocate the data.
- Top news for Aug 4-10: BBC on Age of Big Data; 10 Predictive Analytics Platforms compared - Aug 11, 2013.
The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary; 10 Enterprise Predictive Analytics Platforms Compared; RapidMiner and Big Data - In-Memory, In-Database, and In-Hadoop
Top jobs: Data Mining, Research SDE at Bing; Analyst - Web Commerce/Marketing at UFC.
- Big Data Investment Keeps Climbing in 2013 - Aug 9, 2013.
With the solid post-IPO performances of Splunk and Tableau Software, Big Data continues to be on the mind of investors, and momentum is accelerating.
- Data APIs, Hubs, Marketplaces, Platforms, and Search Engines - Aug 7, 2013.
New KDnuggets page has a comprehensive collection of Data APIs, Hubs, Marketplaces, Platforms, Portals and Search Engines.
- Exversion: data API, platform for access, collaboration - Aug 7, 2013.
Search over 140,000 datasets, consume them through one simple API or upload your own data to collaborate, publish, share or version-control it.
- New Poll: Languages used for analytics, data mining, data science in 2013 - Aug 6, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What programming/statistics languages you used for an analytics / data mining/ data science work in 2013? Please vote
- Kaggle GE Flight Quest 2 Competition: Optimization Of Flight Patterns - Aug 6, 2013.
This competition goes beyond predictive modeling and delves into the optimization of the flight patterns that participants were asked to predict in the first contest.
- Innocentive: Data Fusion Analysis from Moving Vehicles, Ideation Challenge - Aug 6, 2013.
Develop novel thinking for fusion of background radiation measurements, GPS, high-resolution video, and LIDAR and propose algorithms for detection, localization, and identification of radiation anomalies. Submissions due Aug 26.
- IKANOW Infinit.e Document analysis and visualization platform, free version - Aug 6, 2013.
IKANOW Infinit.e is a scalable framework for collecting, storing, processing, retrieving, analyzing, and visualizing unstructured documents and structured records, with community edition (free), enterprise edition, and developer API.
- RapidMiner and Big Data - In-Memory, In-Database, and In-Hadoop - Aug 5, 2013.
RapidMiner offers flexible approaches to remove any limitations in data set size. This paper compares 3 RapidMiner engines: In-Memory, In-Database, and In-Hadoop.
- 10 Enterprise Predictive Analytics Platforms Compared - Aug 4, 2013.
A detailed comparison and ranking of 10 enterprise predictive analytics platforms: FICO, IBM, KXEN, Oracle, Revolution Analytics, Salford Systems, SAP, SAS, Statsoft, and TIBCO (Spotfire).
- Top news for Jul 28- Aug 3: BBC on Big Data; Big Data and the Future of Marketing (free eBook); Government/Public Data Portals - Aug 4, 2013.
The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary; McKinsey eBook (free): Big Data, Analytics, and the Future of Marketing and Sales; Data: Portals, Government, State, City, Local, and Public; Top jobs: Data Scientist, Strategic at Groupon, Palo Alto, CA; Data Scientist at Groupon, Seattle, WA;
- CHEMDNER CFP and training data release - Aug 3, 2013.
The CHEMDNER is a community challenge on named entity recognition of chemical compounds, to promote systems that can detect mentions in text of chemical compounds and drugs.
- Seeking Academic partnerships: NLP, Machine Learning, Data Mining in Healthcare - Aug 2, 2013.
Are you a grad student/postdoc with a interesting research proposal on NLP, machine learning or data mining in healthcare? Industry partner wants to talk.
- LexisNexis HPCC 4.0 Big Data Platform - Aug 1, 2013.
HPCC Systems 4.0 is an open-source, enterprise-proven platform for 24/7 Big Data analysis. New features include Eclipse plugin, improved machine learning, and support for Java, Python and R.
- Lavastorm: Acquire, Integrate, and Analyze Data 10x Faster - Aug 1, 2013.
Lavastorm Analytics Engine breaks down data silos, giving business users the ability to acquire, integrate, and analyze data 10 times faster than traditional tools. As a first step, read "Breaking Through the Analytics Limitations of Access and SQL" and try our Lavastorm Free for Life software yourself.
- Top news, jobs in July: KDnuggets Big Data Science Summer Reading List; DataMind: FREE Online Interactive Learning Platform for R - Aug 1, 2013.
KDnuggets Big Data Science Summer Reading List; DataMind: FREE Online Interactive Learning Platform for R; 5 Roles You Need on Your Big Data Team
Top jobs: Statisticians at AIG; PhD Student, Mixing Meta-Modeling and Data-Mining
- Additions to KDnuggets in July - Aug 1, 2013.
Big new list of government and public datasets/portals, new companies, education options, meetings, software, solutions, blogs