- Geovisualization with Open Data - Jan 15, 2020.
In this post I want to show how to use public available (open) data to create geo visualizations in python. Maps are a great way to communicate and compare information when working with geolocation data. There are many frameworks to plot maps, here I focus on matplotlib and geopandas (and give a glimpse of mplleaflet).
- 6 Books About Open Data Every Data Scientist Should Read - Feb 20, 2019.
Check out this collection of six books which tackle the hard skills required to make sense of the changing field known as open data and muse on the ethical implications of a digitally connected world.
- Metadata Enrichment is Essential to Realize the Value of Open Datasets - Nov 14, 2018.
The last few years have seen great advancement in AI technologies for data science and analytics. With analytics engines capable of ingesting and analyzing almost any amount and type of data, the bottleneck has shifted from the technology to the data itself.
- 5 overriding factors for the successful implementation of AI - Oct 6, 2017.
Today AI is everywhere, from virtual assistants scheduling meetings, to facial recognition software and increasingly autonomous cars. We review 5 main factors for the successful AI implementation.
- Streaming vs Batch Analytics, Model Creation and Deployment – April 19 Webinar - Apr 13, 2017.
Catch this live webinar from Open Data, which will explain both streaming and batch analytic types, typical use cases for each, as well as the best way to deploy these analytics in production. It happens April 19th, 2017 at 10am PST (1pm EST).
- Breaking Data Science Open: How Open Data Science is Eating the World - Mar 17, 2017.
Grab this free book on Open Data Science, a movement that makes the open source tools of data science—data, analytics and computation—work together as a connected ecosystem.
- Continuum Analytics Webinar, Mar 8: Deliver New Business Value with Open Data Science - Feb 24, 2017.
Continuum Analytics EVP Anaconda Business Michele Chambers and Computational Scientist Ian Stokes-Rees will help you embark on your enterprise's journey to Open Data Science in this webinar.
- Data for Humanity – Open Letter - Feb 4, 2017.
The letter, signed by many leading computer experts, calls for 5 ethical principles when using data: Do no harm, help create peaceful coexistence, help vulnerable people, preserve and improve natural environment, and help create a fair world without discrimination.
- Clean Data Science: Evaluating The Cleanliness of NYC Craft Beer Bar Kitchens - Jan 13, 2017.
An analysis of NYC Open Data health inspections showing that craft beer bar kitchens in Manhattan are cleaner than the average establishment by a statistically significant margin. An encouraging finding for Dry January.
- Join Us for the first AnacondaCON in February 2017 - Nov 11, 2016.
We're excited to announce that registration for AnacondaCON 2017, the first conference for Open Data Science leaders around the world, is now OPEN and limited to 500!
- Nigeria: Telling Internally Displaced Persons Stories Using Visual Data and Infographics - Aug 5, 2016.
Read a data-driven discussion on the plight of internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Nigeria, and see the real power of data science and data visualization.
- How open API economy accelerates the growth of big data and analytics - Jun 17, 2016.
An open API is available on the internet for free. We review the growth of API economy and how organizations have been realizing the potential of open APIs in transforming their business.
- Webinar, Jun 24: Bring Open Data Science Into Excel with Anaconda Fusion - Jun 16, 2016.
On June 24th, find out how to use Anaconda Fusion, part of the Anaconda Platform, to bring the power of Open Data Science into Excel. Reserve your spot now!
- Whitepaper: The Journey to Open Data Science - Jun 9, 2016.
Learn why Open Data Science is the foundation to modernizing data analytics, and ways availability, interoperability, transparency and innovation are some of the most important benefits of the ODS approach.
- Top 10 Open Dataset Resources on Github - May 31, 2016.
The top open dataset repositories on Github include a variety of data, freely available for use by researchers, practitioners, and students alike.
- Harnessing Open Data Science for Predictive Analytics (Whitepaper) - May 24, 2016.
Discover how Anaconda, the leading Open Data Science platform, enables powerful predictive analytic solutions for enterprises.
- High Performance Python for Open Data Science (Whitepaper) - May 17, 2016.
In this whitepaper, you'll learn from our seasoned experts about the approaches to scaling your data science models, review the various options, and learn how to easily accomplish them using Anaconda, the leading Open Data Science platform powered by Python.
- Data Mining Panama Papers & Graph Analytics – Two Upcoming Webinars - May 16, 2016.
Ontotext offers a pair of free live webinars: Diving in Panama Papers and Open Data to Discover Emerging News, and GraphDB Fundamentals: Transforming your Graph Analytics with GraphDB. Reserve your spot today.
- World Bank Opens a Treasure Trove of Data - Apr 29, 2016.
The World Bank just launched the beta of their Open Data site at beta.data.worldbank.org, built with React and Node.js by Wiredcraft.
- Our World in Data – A Fantastic Site for Data-driven Analysis - Apr 8, 2016.
Online open data repository and browser-based interaction site Our World in Data, from the University of Oxford, is a fantastic site for data-driven exploration.
- Open Data in Elections: Using Visualization and Graphical Discovery Analysis for Voter Education and Civic Engagement - Apr 5, 2016.
This article makes a case for the importance of innovating using open data, its also proves that adapting open data principles with visual design can enhance transparency, foster accountability, and aid citizen and voter education in elections.
- Open Data with GraphDB & GraphDB Fundamentals – Upcoming Ontotext Webinars - Mar 17, 2016.
Get guidance through the gigantic sea of freely available Open Data and learn how it can empower you analysis (Mar 24) and learn how to use GraphDB to full potential and meet your analytics goals (Apr 7). Meet Ontotext in April in London or San Diego.
- Interconnecting World Open Data Portals, Mar 8 Webinar - Feb 24, 2016.
Join OpenDataSoft for a web conference to contribute to building the next evolution of the List of 1600 Open Data portals worldwide, dubbed Open Data Inception by its creators.
- Minority Report Visualized – Chicago Police Analyzed - Dec 28, 2015.
Who watches the watchmen? This article examines the recently available Chicago Police misconduct allegation dataset from the Invisible Institute.
Pages: 1 2
- Curated, Cleansed Datasets can Make A World of Difference - Sep 9, 2015.
dataX from CrowdAnalytix is a new open data sharing platform, with curated, cleansed datasets prepared as a result from 90+ projects executed for leading global enterprises.
- White House sees Data as the 21st Century Catalyst for Effective Policing - May 25, 2015.
Review of the steps taken by White House over last six months to modernize police data systems to better fight crime as well as build trust between community and police.
- Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub - Apr 6, 2015.
A long, categorized list of large datasets (available for public use) to try your analytics skills on. Which one would you pick?
Pages: 1 2
- OpenDataSciCon – Data Science for All: What Do You Need ? - Mar 10, 2015.
“All you need is knowledge.” Open source is what paves the road to that knowledge and the Open Data Science Conference, Boston, May 30-31, 2015.
- Top /r/MachineLearning posts, January - Feb 13, 2015.
Talking Machines, SVM lectures, a new Stanford statistical learning online course, and a listing of open-source datasets top the most popular Reddit posts on /r/MachineLearning for the month of January.
- Open Data Science Conference Call for Speakers, Boston, May 30-31 - Jan 14, 2015.
Open Data Science Conference is focusing on applied data science featuring real world applications and looking for both technical and non-technical data-centric talks. Boston, May 30-31, 2015.
- Mode Playbook for Open Source Analytics - Dec 5, 2014.
Mode Analytics is open-sourcing their internal analysis and data visualizations which can be tailored to common data structures in SQL databases.
- Mirador Open Data Competition - Oct 2, 2014.
This competition wants to get people interested in data-driven hypothesis making by offering a tool that is as intuitive and engaging as possible, while maintaining solid scientific and statistical foundations. Submissions due Oct 28.
- Interesting Social Media Datasets - Aug 13, 2014.
Learn about some of the many interesting social media datasets available to you, some of which are quite new, and the different features and challenges they offer you for your next big data science project.
- Data for Good: data-driven projects for social good - Jul 26, 2014.
Data for Good is an exciting new non-profit seeking to highlight the various data science projects and resources that can ultimately contribute to the social good.
- Interview: Marc Smith, Chief Social Scientist, Connected Action, on Why We Need Open Tools for Social Networks - Jul 14, 2014.
We discuss NodeXL impact stories, upcoming NodeXL features, importance of an open environment, future of social media analytics, advice for novice researchers and more.
- Chief Data Officer Summit 2014 – Day 2 Highlights - Jul 11, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Data Governance experts from Visa, Bing, San Francisco County, and RS Investments at Chief Data Officer Summit 2014 in San Francisco, CA.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in June - Jul 1, 2014.
Mode Analytics, Open India Government Data, new analytics certifications, new Data Science Education options in Asia, Pacific, Europe, USA, 29 new Big Data and Data Mining meetings, and more.
- KDnuggets 14:n14, KDnuggets Analytics/Data Mining Poll Results; First Law of Data Science - Jun 10, 2014.
Also Datafication, US Open Data Plan, Kirk D. Borne, Raul Valdez-Perez and more interesting Interviews and Opinions, Analytics/Data mining Features, Software, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings and Reports, Jobs, Publications, Tweets, and CFP.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 2-3: SAS vs R vs SPSS – Statistical Wars; RDataMining R Refcard for Data Mining - Jun 4, 2014.
SAS vs R vs SPSS - Statistical Language Wars - a giant infographic ; Very useful - R Refcard for Data Mining; Mind-boggling - The Internet in Real-Time - how quickly data is generated ; #BigData, Open Data, and Open Govt - Venn Diagram.
- US Open Data Action Plan and Datasets - May 31, 2014.
We summarize the key findings in the recently released US Open Data Action Plan, highlighting the principles, commitments, datasets released and future outlook.
- MassTLC Big Data Meeting Delivers Insights, Perspective - May 8, 2014.
Summit highlights: Digitization and Datification - a love story, Strategies for creating a competitive advantage in #BigData world, Boston open data, Balancing privacy and governance, and the most widely used #BigData tool in the future.
- SAS Competition for Top Data Scientist in UK, Ireland - Apr 2, 2014.
The contest, open to the academic and business communities, aims to find UK and Ireland best talent in analytics and data science. The goal is to produce an innovative forecast of energy demand.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 3-4: How to Lie With Statistics; Data to the People – J&J opens clinical trial data - Feb 5, 2014.
Great reading: How to Lie With Statistics; Give the Data to the People! Johnson & Johnson makes all its clinical trial data open; Pie Analytics - Keepin it Simple; Data scientists will love Aunsight, new data science platform